• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I forgot to shout out something about that latest episode of sweetness and lightning: the scene where tsumugi looks under the counter and finds kotori's old baby carving, then looks up at kotori, and then the camera just stays on her face for a hot second as she comes to a realisation.

impeccable direction.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 22

Holy shit, new opening is completely reworked. Felice isn't getting snubbed in the opening. At least Riko has a perfectly logical reason to want to return home. Huh, there's Riko's dad. A genie is the new villain? Odd, but I'll see where it goes. Wow, the gecko's tail coming off was actually important. And he's doing stuff now. More tactics with magic, using the teleport to send the beam right back at the monster. New transformation hype. Felice looks exactly like Yes 5's Flora would be if she was younger. Right down to the flower motif. And of course she kicks ass just fine. New attack isn't as cool, but still neat. Felice is the third fairy Cure and the third to have been alive for under a year before running off to fight evil. Time to see how this baby has grown up. New ending is gorgeous of course.

Maho Girls Precure 23

For the first time the Cures are a majority not from Earth. Well I suppose this is the most appropriate season for that. I think the most impressive thing about Haa is that she was never annoying. Chiffon and Ai I wanted to punt, but Haa was good at just being cute. I guess they declined to do the typical annoying baby routine because of Felice. She's still a kid and getting used to the whole human thing, so it's natural for her to have her oops moments. But they manage to be endearing. Item creation would be broken in the right person's hands. So I guess it's good that Haa has it and not Riko. The gecko's fake Dokuroxy was funny. Mirai's house is starting to get crowded with permanent guests. Kotoha Hanami. Nothing wrong with that name.

The pre-mid-season slump was just a couple of episodes long, and the post-mid-season is off to a good start. I'm still feeling confident about this season turning out pretty good when all is said and done.

sonicmj1

Kiznaiver - END

That was a show.

There were parts of Kiznaiver that I really enjoyed, particularly from about episode 4 to episode 8 or 9. When it was exploring the shared suffering and reward of emotional intimacy, the show was at its strongest. I think it's a show that bore strong direction throughout its run, and I'm glad I watched it.

I'm not crazy about the last set of episodes (even if they proceed from what was established earlier) because Sonozaki's issues are mired in layers of abstraction and symbolism that set her apart from the much truer relationship issues and past regrets of the rest of the cast. Katsuhira's progression was very nice to see, but the stakes raised at the end didn't really make sense with what the cast had experienced. Outer circumstances have to force the plot to make a climactic point happen.

Even if the writing lost its way a bit at the end, I think the finished product might be the best-directed Trigger TV series, and it makes me more hopeful for what they can accomplish as a studio.

Line_HTX

it's amazing how many shows i can convince myself to watch by going 'eh, it's listening practice'

Listening and practicing works for me, even if I don't read or speak at normal speed when the seiyu's aren't acting, like listening to the show's radio portion.

Kiznaiver - END

Even if the writing lost its way a bit at the end, I think the finished product might be the best-directed Trigger TV series, and it makes me more hopeful for what they can accomplish as a studio.

I've seen other people say similar things, but I think it's important to remember that Hiroshi Kobayashi, despite having worked on some episodes of Kill la Kill, is a freelance director not closely tied to Trigger. So, while Kiznaiver certainly shows that the animators working at Trigger are capable of great things with the proper vision behind them, I think that vision will only happen when the studio brings in someone outside Imaishi's inner circle to helm a work.

Jintor

new game 2

zzz

i'll stay for the light yuri, the weirdly animated character animation, and the japanese practice i guess. if it came out a bit earlier i'd classify it as a "i'm going to sleep soon" anime...

Mailbox

Hybrid x Heart 2 - Why the hell am killing brain cells with this?

Oh shit, totally forgot about that one.
I wonder if it can out-shit hundred.

Edit:

Hybrid x Heart episode 1

593.gif

Oh yeah, it out shits Hundred.

its basically if you took all the bad stuff from ecchi anime, turned it up to 11 and did it all wrong. Jesus christ this show is gonna be bad. This episode literally had the MC molest a girl while she is unconscious because his sister just ordered him to and they try to show that as a good thing...
I was cringing and trying so damn hard not to laugh at how dumb it all was. It was kinda like watching a toddler trying to walk and fall completely flat on its face with every step, except its an animation studio, not a toddler... Though after watching that idk what the difference would be.

This will go above and beyond the "art" that is Hundred

Szadek

Hitori no Shita: The Outcast - Ep. 1
The real mystery here is why the defeated Zombies keep disappearing and reappearing inbetween edits.
Animations errors aside, this wasn't a good episode by any means.
Almost nothing adds up.

IbukiLordSA

Wow D.gray man Hallow is amazing, I can't believe there is no OT for this show. I only saw that it was out last night, and to my surprised 2 episodes were already out. Watched that so damn fast. Just amazing, great animation and so good to see the gang back together in the animated world. I cannot wait for the coming episodes. One of the best shonen shows ever.

Ascheroth

Saiki Kusuo #1 - #8

A short episode a day is a pretty good format for this. And it's pretty hilarious.
My favorite episodes so far were the Teruhashi and dodgeball ones.

Twin Star Exorcists #14

Wow, the new Opening is really good. Ending too.
Stealth recap episode interspersed with some new information, bonding moments and the hilariousness that is Ohagi Man.

Wow D.gray man Hallow is amazing, I can't believe there is no OT for this show. I only saw that it was out last night, and to my surprised 2 episodes were already out. Watched that so damn fast. Just amazing, great animation and so good to see the gang back together in the animated world. I cannot wait for the coming episodes. One of the best shonen shows ever.
It's because of that barrier of entry and that 8 years gap sadly :/

It's fafner all over again.

Tatami Galaxy - 06

That was some dearly appreciated break in the slightly too repetitive nature of this show so far. Akashi didn't even really make an appearance this time around and Ozu wasn't on the forefront much either.

The personification of Watashi's libido and this entire situation was hilarious.

If you're bothered by the repetition now, you're going to have problems with the next two episodes.

So I imagine the clock doesn't turn back quite as far, since Watashi happens to be stating "hours" before this episode ended?

Whatever ends up being the case, I'm not hugely bothered by repetition, in particular because it is part of the premise to begin with. But I expected it to be even less of an issue going in.

I also tend to prefer binge watching but didn't do so with this and took a week long break after episode 5 because the show doesn't lend itself for that. On the other hand I forced myself to take a break from Concrete Revolutio so that I'm not done with that in like 2 days ;| (am still watching the excellent first OP and both EDs all the time).

Shergal

When I watched Tatami Galaxy I thought that ultimately the pieces of the puzzle fell into place well enough by the end, but I can see how the process of watching the show repeat itself on many aspects for a purpose that seems to elude the viewer can get frustrating.

When I watched Tatami Galaxy I thought that ultimately the pieces of the puzzle fell into place well enough by the end, but I can see how the process of watching the show repeat itself on many aspects for a purpose that seems to elude the viewer can get frustrating.

Yep, the last two episodes are so good you kind of forget there was some repetition in the middle of the series.

The new twin star exorcists has some really awesome moments for the battle it is showing. Any of the red and black battle scenes made me wish they could do that during the the show especially the moement in between the two glass buildings.

I don't mind the repetition too much myself - I like the theme and variations format - but episodes 6-8 were a bit much.

/XX/

I've seen other people say similar things, but I think it's important to remember that Hiroshi Kobayashi, despite having worked on some episodes of Kill la Kill, is a freelance director not closely tied to Trigger. So, while Kiznaiver certainly shows that the animators working at Trigger are capable of great things with the proper vision behind them, I think that vision will only happen when the studio brings in someone outside Imaishi's inner circle to helm a work.
I get what you've been saying about Hiroyuki Imaishi's own approach to crazy development of ideas and direction, and I truly respect not liking that... but I'd simultaneously refuse to lump everyone together and just paint people he has associated with along all the studio staff as mere complacent 'yes-men' without an understanding or unique vision on their own.

Leaving aside how Mr. Wakabayashi's gang in the form of GEEK FLEET (nowadays the more intimate GEEK BOAT) always seemed like a tightly knitted and inclusive 'hot-pot' of fanboy-ish ideas nurtured among all its members... the vision of Mr. Imaishi hasn't been left mostly unfiltered on many of the projects he has tackled on (and as fairly recently demonstrated, his previous compromises with animation production companies like Aniplex, Inc., didn't left him pursue even more "liberating" smaller works with the frequency expected). Regarding this work of balance studios' board of directors use to achieve, one example I'd like to point out is in the figurehead and co-founder Masahiko Ōtsuka; creator who has been in the inner circle of Mr. Imaishi for decades now, and great director that nonetheless has previously excelled at precisely moulding and giving more nuance to whatever he has helped to oversee, or filling in with script a virtual showcase of raw animation prowess. There has always been a certain down-to-earth simplicity and effectiveness when he incorporated ideas passed on by other contributors, and let's not forget that even when being a 'team player' at the helm of adaptations (or less in-house creativity-led works) I must say that Mr. Ōtsuka has been building solid foundations on them. For me, he demonstrates a well-adjusted line of thinking inside TRIGGER Inc., that administrated nicely on occasions a behaviour sum-of-its-parts.

All in all, most of this perception we could make out of the supposed inner workings of a studio may (most probably) deceive us enough to never grasp the truth, although claiming the presence of a dominance among similarly talented peers, that maybe just complement each other, seems to me like a reductionist opinion to make.

Gungrave 7

When you stuff in so many shootouts into a single episode, it kind of gets boring. It's like the Uncharted games.

All in all, most of this perception we could make out of the supposed inner workings of a studio may (most probably) deceive us enough to never grasp the truth, although claiming the presence of a dominance among similarly talented peers, that maybe just complement each other, seems to me like a reductionist opinion to make.

I don't claim to have personal knowledge of what goes on inside Trigger, but I think it's fair to say that their public face and the majority of their work has been heavily shaped by the tastes of Imaishi and his similarily-minded colleague Amemiya. Otsuka is probably a solid administrator and organizer, but he doesn't seem to have any strong creative voice of his own.

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder if Otsuka is going to be Assistant Director for LWA TV. I'm also curious if he's going to be doing the script comp or if it's going to be the person who did LWA2.

Tsukiuta Episode 2
CnQSPrJWAAEm7ps.jpg:small

So I guess this is more of an idol boys anime than a one with a lead girl trying to have time with each one. I like it, Ikkun was a blast to follow around as he struggles to maintain his school and idol life balance.

Procella is also a good music group.

Shirobako 13

We jumped into Exodus' production already in progress at the beginning of this series, so it'll be interesting to follow the progress of an anime project from its inception through to the actual animation. I'm glad that Miyamori ended up promoted; she makes a good pair with director Kinoshita. Her practical, no-nonsense approach helps balance his free-floating distraction.

One thing I want to mention is how I appreciate how consistently Shirobako uses interesting camera angles to frame its characters in their conversations. It seems like a simple thing that could easily get taken for granted, but it's common to see anime have flat, uninteresting framing, especially when it's just characters talking. I don't want to bag on it too much, but Mayoiga, Tsutomu Mizushima's latest show, is a prime example of flat, lazy framing that makes the conversations boring to watch. Shirobako's use of CG backgrounds in environments such as the Musani office interior helps give the storyboarders more freedom to use multiple camera angles that create the illusion of a 3D space.

Amanchu 1

Pikari's gag face may as well be her real face seeing how much it's used.

Yeh. Someone needs to tell them reaction faces mostly work when used for, you know, reactions.

I was momentarily genuinely confused why she'd have such a weird face when she first turned around with that.

Does anyone know when/if Battery is going up on Amazon Video? I've been searching all this morning for information but I can't seem to find any details save a few articles saying it would be released on Amazon Video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom