• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Masou Gakuen HxH 02

pkJxvTT.jpg

Nice to see Captain Okita still getting work

Leorio was kind of a dick at the start huh? I love how Gon thought "Wow are hunters actually assholes?" and then he flashes to an image of Ging in his head lmao

As far as stock sounds go, anything from Doom immediately takes me out of the show. That's not the shows fault or anything but when the giant monster starts making Imp noises it just makes me want to go play Doom.

Hunter x Hunter '99 02

50Ldvja.jpg
A82jGT8.jpg
3UeXcno.jpg
cGLZ1SD.jpg

now lemme grab a handful of titty

Holy crap the sound mixing is bad in this show. The music is too loud wtf

Actually the entire show is bad but I still think I can continue this gimmick longer then I can watch Berserk

Ascheroth

It seems this page is in dire need of something more wholesome, so there you go:

Prisma Illya 3rei #2

Ah, the classic 'I had to stop my attack that would have killed you just a second later, because something important came up.' scene.
The alternate world storyline and the Ainsworth family are pretty interesting so far. Looks like
Shirou is Miyus brother in this world

Kirei as a Ramen shop owner slayed me. Please more.

A new member joins the party of lost child Illya and even loster child 'Tanaka-san', bringing some much needed direction to their cluelessness and livening things up.

Next episode Gilgamesh vs. Gilgamesh, this should be fun.

Clov

My fiance and I got around to watching my Otaku no Video BD today! It was her first time watching it, and she thought it was pretty silly. She caught on that the interviews had to be fake by the second one. Faster than I did during my first watch!

As for the disc itself, I'm happy to say that like AnimEigo's BD release of Bubblegum Crisis, it's great! The picture quality on the anime segments is fantastic, it's all very clear. You can even see bits of dust on the darker parts, though it never becomes distracting. The live action segments are upscaled, likely because they were probably filmed on home video, but the low-fi look of these segments gives it a certain charm. My only complaint about the release is that the subtitles that translate charts in the live action segments can sometimes take a second or two to show up. Otherwise, it's another impressive release from AnimEigo! Hopefully they'll pick up another anime I'm interested in soon, since Riding Bean and AD Police Files aren't really my thing.

JulianImp

As far as stock sounds go, anything from Doom immediately takes me out of the show. That's not the shows fault or anything but when the giant monster starts making Imp noises it just makes me want to go play Doom.

So true. Every time I hear an imp, pinky or baron cry, my suspension of disbeliefe is shattered instantly. Door SFX are way rarer, but they also take me out of shows. Thank god nobody even bothers with the revenant's cry though, since that noise was absolutely nightmarish (even more so than the enemy itself).

And that reminds me of the time I had to add music and SFX to a game's CG intro for a sound composition project a couple years ago, and the first thing I did was boot up my WAD tools (yeah, I still had Doom and Doom Builder running on my PC back then) and extracted enemy SFX which I mixed together for when a random monster horde shows up onscreen.

Tatami Galaxy - 11 [Finale]

Well shit, I'm thoroughly underwhelmed as I was expecting more from something that I've seen praised as 'one of the best endings in anime' a bunch of times. Instead it's among the most common type of ending this story would take.
Of course 'Watashi' finally seizes the opportunity and takes the mochiguman to Akachi.
Even two episodes in when you notice the pattern the episodes follow, you already know this is what it'll come down to. Predictability by itself isn't much of an issue but it's not like I was wowed by the execution either.

There was some decent introspection and realization in the last 2 episodes but the message, while not false, felt fairly weak. You shouldn't yearn for some potentially perfect life you could've led and instead enjoy and work with what you've got, that's nice and all but, that's it?

I also expected there to be more behind Ozu. But him having a girlfriend does hardly even change how I look at him and his actions.

And I mean pretty much all the characters with perhaps the exception of Hanuki felt way too cartoonish for me to really relate to, especially in combination with the rapid kind of pace and structure for each episode or even the show on the whole. So it's that kind of show where the characters feel reduced or abstracted to the ideas and themes they represent.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I feel like Tatami Galaxy fell completely flat for me narratively. The visuals, soundtrack are great and there's a plethora of interesting shots. But as I say so often, that's ultimately just secondary and in support to a good core narrative to me, which I'm not feeling here.

Mailbox

Hybrid X Heart 2

c6e13f_c197bda2e1684e8a8bb8d17c269df6b8.gif

I don't think its a stretch to say that this is worse than Big Order. Nothing, not a damn thing about this show works in any way. If you want an example of a show that does everything wrong, look no further. I think this is the most times in the span of 2 episodes I shouted "god, no. FUCK OFF" at a screen. This is just... so bad.

Eumi

Hybrid X Heart 2

c6e13f_c197bda2e1684e8a8bb8d17c269df6b8.gif

I don't think its a stretch to say that this is worse than Big Order. Nothing, not a damn thing about this show works in any way. If you want an example of a show that does everything wrong, look no further. I think this is the most times in the span of 2 episodes I shouted "god, no. FUCK OFF" at a screen. This is just... so bad.

Fun bad or bad bad. Cause I haven't hate watched something in a while and Mayoiga just didn't sit right with me last season.

I actually enjoyed the final episodes of Tatami Galaxy more than the beginning. I don't know if it was just me, but the comedy of the start of the show felt a bit too mean.

I'd have appreciated Tatami Galaxy's ending more if I hadn't felt so much like I was being beat with an anvil with how incredibly unsubtle the show is during its duration about its themes and message. I still maintain that it would have been better as a 4-6 episode OVA series.

Mailbox

Fun bad or bad bad. Cause I haven't hate watched something in a while and Mayoiga just didn't sit right with me last season.

Its bad in a fascinating sort of way. You can feel your brain cells die. Not a damn thing about this show is original, it is 100% derivative and has not a damn thing enticing about it. I think its a perfect show to dissect why a lot of the tropes present don't work at face value and need to be altered, subverted, or at least managed with some semblance of care.

Its definitely not frustrating in the same way that something like dog & scissor is. It more reminded me of the incompetence that was Mars of Destruction or Skelter Heaven, if that makes any sense.

edit: lets not forget that one of the character's last names is "Chidorigafuchi". like... WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?

Qurupeke

Not sure what you expected on the finale. It's a happy ending that connects all the dots and it passes its message successfully. Also, Episode 10 and 11 had amazing visuals and they delivered emotionally with some over the top moments. I really think it was just perfect.

Masou Gakuen HxH is a show about a dude who is summoned by his sister to the super special academy where they train people to fight the Noise/BETA/Shadows/Generic enemy that we don't have to elaborate on and of course the technology they use involves getting horny because I guess when you are horny you fight better? That's probably true actually

Anyway they need the guy to fondle the girls so their climax meter can increase so they fight good. This includes

- American celebrity superstar with g cups
- "THAT'S ECCHI" not-Yui girl whos only role is to walk into the room during ecchi times and blast lasers at people
- Other girl whos probably the main one and thinks shes the best
- Loli
- Onee-san

I bet its just a big plot by the Sis so her precious lil bro can get laid. Basically its terrible so firehawk should watch it.

JulianImp

In the year XXXX, mankind is on the brink of extinction. Attacked by an evil CG mecha army, they were forced to research some kind of battle armor and give it to teenagers.

The MC transfers into a high school run by his elder sister that trains people in the use of battle armors, and it seems like he has the incredible power to recharge girls' armors (which takes forever otherwise) by making them climax by fondling them all over.

His elder sister also runs the military branch on the island-continent (on top of the academy), and she assigns him as the leader of the academy's elite squad assigned to stopping the CG mecha onslaught. While he's actually weaker in combat than the three girls he supervises (at least so far), his fondling is vital to put them back in fighting shape after some harenchiness. Oh, and so far two of the three girls have become kind of addicted to the lewdness power-up only the MC can give them.

...Seriously.

I still think it's way better than Big Order, since it's so obvious that the plot is just an excuse to have the MC fondle girls to get them aroused that it's actually kind of funny, while Big Order was just edgy crap with nonexistant pacing and absolutely senseless plot. This is more like ToLoveRu Darkness, in that it isn't trying to be deep or edgy, just harenchi.

Oh, and the latest episode had them comment that gates to CG robot land couldn't open on small landmasses while they were on a filler mission on a small, deserted island, only for them to show up as the people at Control lament that they didn't notice the landmass had actually "increased" as the tide waned. Seriously.

Mailbox

Having only watch the first 2 seasons of TO Love RU, Those are head and shoulders above Hybrid X Heart. I actually quite enjoyed Motto To Love ru, actually.

JulianImp

How dare you insult To Love Ru Darkness like that

Hey, I actually commend Darkness for wearing its harenchiness on its sleeve and using some semblance of "plot", rather than the episodic mess that were the previous TLR seasons (which I downright ignored after a couple episodes of the first season).

So Lala makes <whatever>, but it backfires and results in lewd stuff. Rito and company eventually fix it, but not before he gropes jsut about everyone. Rinse and repeat forever.

I'd have appreciated Tatami Galaxy's ending more if I hadn't felt so much like I was being beat with an anvil with how incredibly unsubtle the show is during its during about its themes and message. I still maintain that it would have been better as a 4-6 episode OVA series.

Yeh, that too. There were simply too many, rather wacky, episodes that ultimately didn't add much to the greater scheme and by themselves felt like average comedy (with more than average creative direction of course).

So with how well the series and its ending are regarded I imagined that at the end I'd see all the previous episodes in a new light. But other than some negligible parts of those previous episodes happening because of the final iteration of 'Watachi', which is nothing more than 'neat', those previous episodes don't have a new perspective to them.

I don't even dislike the ending. I think episode 10 and 11 are the best along number 6. It's just that I hoped for the finale to elevate much of the other mediocre episodes somehow. Not like that's likely, but when you've heard specifically about a great ending...

Eumi

Sounds terrible, but might just be slightly too much on the creepy misogynistic sex side for me to really enjoy hating it.

Might try it, but until then the search for the perfect bitching catalyst will continue.

Mailbox

Hey, I actually commend Darkness for wearing its harenchiness on its sleeve and using some semblance of "plot", rather than the episodic mess that were the previous TLR seasons (which I downright ignored after a couple episodes of the first season).

So Lala makes <whatever>, but it backfires and results in lewd stuff. Rito and company eventually fix it, but not before he gropes jsut about everyone. Rinse and repeat forever.

Oh yeah, the first season is a repetive hot mess of a show, but the second season (motto) is much better, I found. In the same way that the second season of Rosario+Vampire is significantly better than the first season.

Sounds terrible, but might just be slightly too much on the creepy misogynistic sex side for me to really enjoy hating it.

Might try it, but until then the search for the perfect bitching catalyst will continue.

Oh its SUPER misogynistic. Seriously, the first episode has the MC molesting a girl, and the show desperately trying to make it seem like a good thing.

I'm also sick and tired of the "I have to save you because you were a girl in trouble" BS.

JulianImp

Oh yeah, the first season is a repetive hot mess of a show, but the second season (motto) is much better, I found. In the same way that the second season of Rosario+Vampire is significantly better than the first season.

I agree with TUSR there. Darkness has even more "plot", but it also amps the harenchiness up to eleven, since the main "plot" thread is Momo trying to get every girl to fall for Rito, and has a pretty hands-on approach, if you know what I mean.

Oh its SUPER misogynistic. Seriously, the first episode has the MC molesting a girl, and the show desperately trying to make it seem like a good thing.

I'm also sick and tired of the "I have to save you because you were a girl in trouble" BS.

Again, the show's premise is that the MC fondles girls to make them stronger (and of course they like it), for crying out loud. Everything else in the show appears to be a device to help the MC get it on with the girls at best.

jgminto

Hunter x Hunter '99 02

Holy crap the sound mixing is bad in this show. The music is too loud wtf

Actually the entire show is bad but I still think I can continue this gimmick longer then I can watch Berserk
Someone should tell the artist that breasts usually don't look like two eggs standing upright.

phaze

This is almost as bad as that one time when you disliked Kyoukai no Kanata.

To HxH or not to HxH? Hmm, the curioaity of just how bad this show is is killing me, lol

On an off tangent; did I miss you finish Katanagari or did you still have that in the works ?

Some really nice cuts in there. Also, edge detected. Picked up.

For those watching, how is the action in this show ? Is it at least consistently decent ?

But not as bad as my Toradora conclusion!

That reminds me, wanted to read your impressions now since you had elaborate comments on Tatami Galaxy. Search function be with me *prays*

edit:
Fuck it, I even found your impressions for the first two episodes but there seems to be no particularly good option to search old anime OT threads. I mostly turn to google and even then it's obnoxious as hell.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Should I expect that fake HxH to have anything "more" on the blu-rays? Or should I watch the TV version?

On an off tangent; did I miss you finish Katanagari or did you still have that in the works ?

Some really nice cuts in there. Also, edge detected. Picked up.

For those watching, how is the action in this show ? Is it at least consistently decent ?

Twin Star Exorcist has its moments, lots of original content though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mahou Shoujo Naria Girls

Have you ever wanted a magical girl show where the characters basically act like drunks talking absolute nonsense? Then this is the show for you.

At least the graphics are better than Berserk's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom