• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, did Asterisk Wars or Rakudai end up actually being good?

Rakudai was the better of the two. Asterisk was a massive turd of a show, the fact that the game is making its way over and others aren't baffles me.

I wonder if the way I feel towards Asterisk is how other people feel towards SAO.

Nah, it has the pointless boat filler, plus the Hunter Exam is the worst arc anyway and it's long enough.

The Hunter Exam is the best arc from what I've watched (through Yorkshin), and the 1999 anime uses it to really flesh out the characters in a meaningful way, with very strong, atmospheric direction. The 2011 anime is just your standard mediocre battle shounen anime until Yorkshin.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep. 49-51
FullmetalAlchemist-51-Large33.jpg

Wow, so much happened in these episodes it's hard to start somewhere specific. Shit is starting to hit the fan as "the day" has arrived, the
the u killable army has been released and Envy is back
because the stupid little girl didn't do what she was told, uugghh. I hate this punk hommoculus..

Either way, things are heating up and this is getting good.

Moaradin

Funimation's broadcast dubs will now come two weeks after the original airing in Japan...for some shows.

That's pretty awesome. I'm guessing broadcast dubs have been a pretty good success for them? 2 weeks is short enough to get me to wait if it's a show I'm interested in.

Nah, it has the pointless boat filler, plus the Hunter Exam is the worst arc anyway and it's long enough.

The boat story actually is pretty interesting and expands upon some minor characters in an interesting way that shifts your understanding of them for the next section of the Hunter Exam arc. It's actually a pretty good example of how to do anime original content right while sticking to the same basic narrative (as opposed to an FMA type situation where you're just going off in a completely different direction).

Plus, the Hunter Exam arc can't be the worst arc when Greed Island exists.

Oh awesome, all the broadcast dubs.http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/07/13/announcing-summer-broadcast-dub-line-up-2016

*First Love Monster
*Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance
*Puzzles and Dragon X
Servamp
Love Live! Sunshine
Show by Rock! Short!!
Cheer Boys
Planetarian
Handa-kun
Endride
The Disastrous Life of Saiki Kusuo
Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc
Dandanronpa 3: Future Arc
Tales of Zestiria the X
D.Gray-Man Hallow

People who hate dubs and think they're bad for the industry getting btfo hopefully aniplex, viz, and sentai *snrk* get on board and soon almost all licensed anime are simuldubbed like this

Aki-at

Space Brothers: The Lost Village edition - 10

A suspicious bus heading to a mysterious location holding a group of strangers to help them leave their old life behind.

Holy Shit, I literally just watched ep. 49-51 and ready yo comment, lol

Haha I noticed we're just about keeping pace with each other on this show, spooky. What if I stopped watching it now, or you stopped watching it, are we doomed to never finish?!

Got to agree though that
the least favourite homunculus getting himself back into the game is annoying, can't believe he's managed to live this long, he'll outlast every other secondary villain at this rate.

People who hate dubs and think they're bad for the industry getting btfo hopefully aniplex, viz, and sentai *snrk* get on board and soon almost all licensed anime are simuldubbed like this

That wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. While dubs are obviously a net positive for the industry, and dubbed titles tend to sell better than sub only titles, not every title can afford having a dub. A serious push for simuldubs could wind up really hurting a lot of smaller titles that are getting streamed/released now mostly due to being cheap. Not to mention that producing a broadcast dub is a lot trickier than dubbing something months later. Considering the putrid quality of most of Sentai's dubs, do you really want them trying to rush stuff out in two weeks?

This makes sense as a business model for FUNimation, who have always been heavily focused on dubbing titles and picking up the biggest commercial properties. It might potentially make sense for Viz to do at some point in the future. But I don't think it really makes sense for Sentai, whose business model is a lot more focused around picking up niche titles that other companies aren't interested in and trying to squeeze out however much blood they can from a smaller group of fans, or for Aniplex who usually focus on putting out higher quality releases at higher price ranges.

The last thing that anime industry in the west needs right now is for all of the companies to go chasing after the next holy grail (joining production committees! co-producing titles! simultaneous releases! funding a TV block! etc) and going the way of Geneon or Bandai. The market has almost been wrecked multiple times in the past due to that sort of action.

The boat story actually is pretty interesting and expands upon some minor characters in an interesting way that shifts your understanding of them for the next section of the Hunter Exam arc. It's actually a pretty good example of how to do anime original content right while sticking to the same basic narrative (as opposed to an FMA type situation where you're just going off in a completely different direction).

Except it has scenes where it's clear that whoever is in charge really wants Kurapika to be female, so there's at least 2 really fucking weird scenes that don't make any sense and never matter again.

And the boat stuff doesn't mean anything otherwise, since none of it matters.

I mean, I've seen the '99 series 3 times and I'm on my 3rd watch of the 2011 series, and I've read the manga about 4 times. There's no reason to watch the '99 series. Especially since its version of Greed Island is hot garbage, and it doesn't have the best arc (Chimera Ant).

Except it has scenes where it's clear that whoever is in charge really wants Kurapika to be female, so there's at least 2 really fucking weird scenes that don't make any sense and never matter again.

Which scenes?

And the boat stuff doesn't mean anything otherwise, since none of it matters.

It doesn't "matter" in terms of contributing to forward plot momentum, but it matters in terms of setting a particularly strong mood and having nuanced characterization. If you judge everything by how important it figures in a plot synopsis, you're really doing yourself a disservice.

I mean, I've seen the '99 series 3 times and I'm on my 3rd watch of the 2011 series, and I've read the manga about 4 times. There's no reason to watch the '99 series. Especially since its version of Greed Island is hot garbage, and it doesn't have the best arc (Chimera Ant).

It's generally agreed that the OVAs covering Greed Island that were made after the 1999 anime's TV run, which lacked the directorial oversight of Kazuhiro Furuhashi and Toshiyuki Kato, are of low quality. The TV run itself, though, is excellent, and has so many great moments which should not be missed by anyone who cares about creative vision and in-depth character development. Consider the 1999 anime's opening episode, with its contemplative portrayal of Mito's pain, or the episode featuring Leorio's hallucinations about his past, or the episode with Gon recovering from poison during the Fourth Phase of the Hunter Exam, for example. Those provide more insight into the character's mental states than anything equivalent in the 2011 anime.

Cornbread78

Heart x Hybrid ep.1
Umm...ummm... ummm... There are no appropriate words right now. I heard this was bad, but my goodness. That first and final minute of the episode were worse than anything Hundred had going for it.. like WTF, I need cleansing.

Mailbox

Heart x Hybrid ep.1
Umm...ummm... ummm... There are no appropriate words right now. I heard this was bad, but my goodness. That first and final minute of the episode were worse than anything Hundred had going for it.. like WTF, I need cleansing.

i dare say that the second episode is even worse.

kewlmyc

Funimation's broadcast dubs will now come two weeks after the original airing in Japan...for some shows.

I just hope they can at least get the original English voice actors for the Tales of Zestiria dub. I would say the same for Danganronpa, but they didn't bother to get the game's voice actors for the first season, so I figure it's a lost cause for the 2nd.

I just hope they can at least get the original English voice actors for the Tales of Zestiria dub. I would say the same for Danganronpa, but they didn't bother to get the game's voice actors for the first season, so I figure it's a lost cause for the 2nd.

With the tight schedule broadcast dubs are on, my understanding is that Funimation only pulls from a limited geographical area for actors, limiting the available pool.

Kvik

Heart x Hybrid ep.1

lol.

At least in The Testament of Sister New Devil they have the decency to ease us into the plot first (for lack of better word) rather than straight into some oppai-rubbing in the first 10 seconds.

kewlmyc

With the tight schedule broadcast dubs are on, my understanding is that Funimation only pulls from a limited geographical area for actors, limiting the available pool.

To be expected but still disappointing. I'm not a fan of the game, but the cast was nice. Not sure how I feel about Funi's treatment of game adaptions so far. They don't follow the localized terminology names and go either a literal or their own translation of the phrase. Consistency would be nice. I'm conflicted however because sometimes their translations are better than the source's translation.

Cornbread78

i dare say that the second episode is even worse.

OH, yay; something to look forward to WHEN I'M NOT WORKING!!! At least it wasn't as bad as Quasar, but...

lol.
At least in The Testament of Sister New Devil they have the decency to ease us into the plot first (for lack of better word) rather than straight into some oppai-rubbing in the first 10 seconds.

lol, how appropriate. What was the plot again? Right...

The love for RE:zero is real in here. I gotta check it out.

Yes, yes it is. It takes a few episodes, then BAAM!

I actually really liked the Greed Island arc. Currently in the ant arc though.

Wanderer5

Heart x Hybrid ep.1

Hundred but with more lewd is what I thought of it.XD

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hated the Greed Island stuff even in the 2011 version. Total bore that's built on a bunch of arbitrary rules that don't really matter. HxH has a history with strong villain characters, and none of that comes through during the Greed Island arc. Still need to go back and watch more from the '99 version, but even only watching the 2011 version I would still rank the Hunter Exam arc as one of the strongest parts of the series that really only tracks behind the Chimera Ant arc.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

I finally got into this in the last few days and beat chapter 2. I was spurred on by others in the thread playing it. Man these games are long. I appreciate at least they are pretty linear so I can focus on sidequests and then move the story on at my own pace. So good though.

Quasar

Heart x Hybrid ep.1

I did say it was braincell killing. For some reason after bailing early I to 1 I went back and watched episode two. So very lewd. Too lewd maybe and I liked TLR and High School DxD.

Mailbox

ReLIFE 5

I know you can overanalyze these things, but Hishiro's social dysfunction is so extreme that I have to believe she's autistic.

Its never overtly stated (and actually, they try subverting that explanation by showing that she wasn't always that way) but as I watched, I couldn't help but feel the same way.

OH, yay; something to look forward to WHEN I'M NOT WORKING!!! At least it wasn't as bad as Quasar, but...

Wait, you watched the first episode AT WORK? Tempting fate man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom