• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Planetarian ep.2
wmDg9bS.png

There is still something very cute, yet very sad about this anime. They are short episodes, but I really wish they were longer to get to the full story and where they go with it. I realize this anime was established just to set up the movie in Sept., but it's pretty good, if nothing else, for the tone of it alone.

qcf x2

Somebody told me this had nothing to do with Cross Ange, but I can't shake the connections. With that said, ...

Despite being lewd, too lewd, it was a very encouraging first episode. Plot wise nothing really happened but the action scenes were very well done, the abilities and symbiotic nature of the fighters were cool. I'll give it some more looks, hopefully it's not one of those anime where the first episode is action packed and the rest of it is dull and devoid of action.

Mob Psycho 01

Between this and Thunderbolt Fantasy, anime might be saved. It was so good.

Cornbread78

I thought Clannad was coming to the Vita at some point.

Sekai project was supposed to be working on it, but it's not looking like they will do it. Would also love to get the Grisaia game on Vita as well. Hell, I'd even play them on PS4, but it's not looking good for any of them to be ported over at this time...

Just give me all the Key VN goodness in NA c'mon...

I know you mostly do your anime watching or games while on the go, but please consider Clannad on Steam.

I do not have a "personal" laptop or PC to use with Steam, so it would be a no-go. I could download Steam onto my work laptop off the network, but the second I booted it up online and hooked it up to the network, I would get about 100 corporate security warnings/alerts and a call from IS corporate headquarters, lol.

Plus, my limited game time is spent on PS4 when at home, or Vita everywhere else..

Eumi

Wow. That was actually super fun. Although it was just reintroducing a cast I already like so this train could still be wrecking.

Oh, also, errrr...

What.

What.

But, Chiaki?

I hope it's not something dumb like 'oh, she's the girl we modelled the AI on. I want this to actually be insane dumb bullshit plot twist.
. Also calling it now, sensei's still alive in the future.

As a side note, are we just allowed to be open about Danganronpa 1 & 2 spoilers here. It feels kind of wrong since they're games and not anime but also kind of pointless since just screenshots of these shows are spoilers.

Line_HTX

I do not have a "personal" laptop or PC to use with Steam, so it would be a no-go. I could download Steam onto my work laptop off the network, but the second I booted it up online and hooked it up to the network, I would get about 100 corporate security warnings/alerts and a call from IS corporate headquarters, lol.

Plus, my limited game time is spent on PS4 when at home, or Vita everywhere else..

Hey, you! Why are you playing SAO when you should be doing work?!

Oh God, what are you looking at... What the hell
is Sinon doing to Leafa?!

:lol

Cornbread78

Hey, you! Why are you playing SAO when you should be doing work?!

Oh God, what are you looking at... What the hell
is Sinon doing to Leafa?!
:lol

No no, that's the fan art...

Oh and I did plan Lost Song and Hollow Fragments in the office with no problems, lol. Both games are pretty damn clean and they got rid of the awful "bedding" character interactions in Lost Song, so I was good with no "penetration" or other bad Engrish

As a side note, are we just allowed to be open about Danganronpa 1 & 2 spoilers here. It feels kind of wrong since they're games and not anime but also kind of pointless since just screenshots of these shows are spoilers.

I'd relegate that to the OT which is 100% open

Battery Episode 1
CnWEthOWEAATrRf.jpg:small
CnWGIEiXYAU4SAh.jpg:small

Go and Takumi are already off to a great start. Liked their minor conflict thing going on and how fast they were able to adapt to one another. Will be fun to see eventually.

I wonder how the other drama stuff will play out, with the mom's feelings on things, Seiha, and even just taking the team to win their tourney. will be interesting.

Danganronpa 3 Despair 01

I'm feelin that OP. It's good. I like the ED too, hopefully it falls into despair as the season goes on

The best part of the episode is them just carrying around Akane on a cross after they catch her

get rekt soda you still suck

Cornbread78

Katanagatari ep.11
q3AV4ap.jpg

hQfxHzo.jpg

Seriously, fu(k off with that ending.... NO, like seriously, fu(k off with that crap! I have to watch the next episode, like stat, but I've got a ton of work to do... damn, the episode was excellent up to that point, but now I want to kill something... As always, the art, sound, music and animation were excellent, but I'm angry....

Katanagatari ep.11
q3AV4ap.jpg

hQfxHzo.jpg

Seriously, fu(k off with that ending.... NO, like seriously, fu(k off with that crap! I have to watch the next episode, like stat, but I've got a ton of work to do... damn, the episode was excellent up to that point, but now I want to kill something... As always, the art, sound, music and animation was excellent, but I'm angry....

lmao

finale is one of the best final episodes ever

JulianImp

Sasameki Koto #5

I think someone recomended it here, but I honestly don't like how much it focuses on comedy and how the tall girl just can't find the courage to confess to the shorter girl, even five episodes into the thing. I was expecting them to be in love with each other from the start after that initial scene where they accidentally saw two other girls kissing after school, so I was disappointed when the love story turned out to be more like Nozaki-kun than the drama I was expecting.

While I liked how Hourou Musuko delved into the social issues of having a non-standard sexual identity, Sasameki Koto appears to not care all that much about drama so far, which is a bit of a letdown. Guess I might as well watch Aoi Hana instead before coming back to this show.

Slayers 2

The enemies in this episode could have come from a Scrappy Doo episode.

Do you mean Slayers, as in Rina Inverse Slayers? That sure takes me back if that's the case! I think the channel that was airing the series never got to the Naga arc, so the most I got to watch was the end of the dark star arc.

I still wonder how would it hold up if I watched it again nowadays, since I do remember lots of slapstick at times (even though I think the show dropped that for the most part during serious arcs like Rezo, the Lord of Nightmares and the dark star ones, for example). I remember it being like some group of crazy people playing through a serious D&D campaign for the most part. Everyone except Zelgadis tended to do dumb stuff a lot of the time (Rina, Gaudi, Amelia, Zeros, the dragon priestess, Gaudi's childhood friend, Martina, Amelia's dad... actually, I think 99% of the cast was made up of madmen), and Zel was the party's Shadow the Edgehog, often lamenting his curse and taking things seriously, whereas Rina tended to switch between Wario-style greedy antihero and serious badass spellcaster depending on the arc.

As usual, I didn't pay enough attention, lol. Oh well, it was only a few mins of screen time and I was able to shield it........ I know not to watch ep.2 now though, lol.

Weird, since I think all the HxH posts we made talked about how harenchi it was. Anything that can derail a topic into talking about To Love Ru: Darkness is probably best watched alone, if at all.

Re:Zero 10

Ohh I'm losing my interest in the series, this arc is being damn long. Seven episodes is too much, I feel it all could be condensed in less episodes, and without losing the info bits we had related to the main plot and the characterization.

Even worse, now ep 11 is a flashback of some secondary characters.

Cornbread78

Weird, since I think all the HxH posts we made talked about how harenchi it was. Anything that can derail a topic into talking about To Love Ru: Darkness is probably best watched alone, if at all.

Yeah, It's my own fault, I wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad, lol. Same reason I don't watch Quasar... there's never an appropriate time to suffer through it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Battery The Animation Episode 1:

I am not really sure what to make of this because I can't get a sense of how much actual baseball is actually going to be played as of yet. Also, know I have not read the original novel so I don't know what to expect exactly though this first episode was pretty average all things considered. Nothing was bad but nothing here compelled me over say Ace of the Diamond or The Big Windup at the moment.

Inversive

Ohh I'm losing my interest in the series, this arc is being damn long. Seven episodes is too much, I feel it all could be condensed in less episodes, and without losing the info bits we had related to the main plot and the characterization.

The last few episodes have been really good, stick with it dude :)

Concrete Revolutio - 24 [Finale]

One hell of an ambitious anime that offers a very large cast of characters, an interesting world, great non-linear storytelling and some interesting politics and political references. Additionally it features great art direction, character designs, pretty consistently good animation quality with some sakuga here and there and a good OST.

Primarily I really gotta point out how much I liked the non-linear storytelling. Having two timelines set apart for a couple years and converging them towards a certain point in time worked really well. It wasn't strictly like that either, as many sequences took place at odd points in time but in general you're following two converging timelines for the first 14 episodes. I personally despise spoilers and so tend to dislike shows where I'm spoiled future events. Not here, though. Rather I ended up being really curious what events would take place for all these major but also many minor changes to occur. That's in part because Concrete Revolutio does a great job at unraveling mysteries pertaining to the characters at just the right pace. Lastly, it's cool how just about every event and character we encounter reoccurs later on. Since I was talking about Tatami Galaxy yesterday and how I found its messaging lacking, I can easily point to Concrete Revolutio as a show that depicts the idea that "everyone matters".

I've got to say though that towards the end I grew a bit less fond of this show. For one, the ending felt needlessly rushed when they could've cut certain episodes to avoid that. Then the very end is kind of meh in itself.
Jiro just kinda disappears as this ubiquitous being, the main villain also just goes puff and humanity somehow kinda forgets about all those superhumans and stuff? eh....
The 'justice' thematic felt well dealt with at first, which is good, because it comes up constantly. But later on I ended up annoyed and/or confused here and there. Jiro in particular had me questioning what the heck his definition of 'true justice' is when he wanted to help superhumans no matter what, even when they just killed innocent people (the PTSD episode). In general, even if it's the main theme, I could've done with characters directly addressing this topic less often. The character motivations of the main cast became a bit jumbled towards the end anyways and I sometimes felt confused about their actions.

Having this alternate reality splice the superhumans into all the important matters like society, war etc. made sense as those would undoubtedly play a huge role and it made for an interesting setting. I think they took it a bit far though with the whole energy crisis solution,
extracting energy out of these super humans
, I dunno, that was reaching.

And well, I've always complained about feeling a lack of investment in battles where I can't tell the stakes. Concrete Revolutio amends that to a decent degree because the sheer variety and creativity on display still made for fun fights. But I still got to say that it was impossible to tell the stakes in most battles. There's so damn many entities, be it human superhumans, aliens, robots, ghosts, beasts, witches, yokais, mechs and technologies, all with fairly loosely defined limitations, that the outcome of a fight might as well be random for me. This hardly even bothered me in the first half because the show was so enjoyable overall, but towards the later episodes with all the usual power creep, it worsened. That's an aspect that maybe got neglected because the high ambitious and insane amount of fighting entities made it extremely difficult to do much better on that front.

Overall, though, still a show I greatly enjoyed.
8/10 (a 9 for first 14 episodes, a 7 for the remaining 10)

Also, hot damn at OP1, ED1 and ED2

Ascheroth

Yuuki Yuuna Yuusha #12 (End)

Finally done. Those last couple episodes were getting harder and harder to watch.
Ultimately I have mixed feelings about the show. I really liked the first half and the action and transformations were really good throughout, but the direction it took in the second half wasn't really all that much to my liking.
I liked it from a narrative structure point of view, where episode 6 was essentially and end, and episode 7 a new episode 1, mirroring much of the real episode 1 but in a different context sort of thing.

But it reminded me that this brand of SUFFERING™ isn't exactly one I enjoy all that much.
I think it was just... I don't know, too convenient? too on the nose? too central? Not sure, but I didn't exactly enjoy it a lot and the ending made it kinda pointless too. I'm not even sure if I'm glad that
they got a happy ending
or disappointed. Really mixed feelings overall.

But I did like the revelations about the world during the second half, so there's that!

Qurupeke

Re: Zero 07

gettin sick of these cliffhangers smh

This arc was pretty bad. It had a couple of good moments and it introduced Ram and some other important characters, so it kind of redeems itself for me, but it was very tedious and I also lost interest very quickly.

Anyway, both of you keep watching.

Mandelbo

The arc's almost over, and the show's starting to kick into gear now, so keep going!

rem and ram are more than just "some secondary characters"! well maybe not ram

Ascheroth

This arc was pretty bad. It had a couple of good moments and it introduced Ram and some other important characters, so it kind of redeems itself for me, but it was very tedious and I also lost interest very quickly.

I thought it was amazing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i was half joking because subaru jumped off a cliff at the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom