• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

Just watched mob psycho 100. Definitely interested in seeing more of this. I really dig the style of the show.

I also finished episode 5 of kabaneri of the iron fortress and the show is certainly interested. Now if only I could manage my time better.

Thoraxes

Rakudai was the better of the two. Asterisk was a massive turd of a show, the fact that the game is making its way over and others aren't baffles me.

I wonder if the way I feel towards Asterisk is how other people feel towards SAO.

You got those two mixed up, friend.

Rakudai was bad.

Mailbox

Neither the show or the manga say that she is autistic. But by all accounts, it seems as though she is. Hence, it is not overt.

Was there a problem in what I said?

Heart x Hybrid #2

Yeeeeah screw this lol. Dat auditorium scene and then the, er....

Don't say I didn't warn you. In fact, i have a feeling I'll be the last one standing watching this when summer is over :p

Stage On

Am I the only one excited that we're getting more Gundam Build fighters even if it's just a Try ova?

I mean the series is far from perfect but their isn't much mecha stuff going on and I really enjoyed how since it's people fighting with toys instead of actual people vs actual people they could get really crazy with some of the battles

Hopefully we'll get a season 3.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just completed first season of Shokugeki no Souma. Made me so damn hungry. And it took me back to watching the original Iron Chef on food tv years ago, sigh... Kinda wish the MC was more vulnerable/flawed, but I'm gonna jump right into season 2.

Mailbox

Sore Ga Seiyuu episodes 7-13(END)

There's a lot I can say about this show, about its inconsistent character art styles, about the rather fun characters, about the OP and ED which just were not good tbh. But more importantly I think the thing to be said about this show is that its kind of important, if only because of how it handles its content. Unlike many anime which dips mostly into wish fulfillment and grandeur, this show was much more about people who are in a tough industry just barely getting through. Hell, the end has the main character
celebrating that they aren't let go, but rather on what can basically be called probation
. But unlike something like Sakurasou, which was much more dramatic in its showing of anxiety and crippling frustration and despair, Sore Ga Seiyuu keeps things rather grounded, allowing the audience to see that being a Seiyuu is actually really difficult but at the same time the show has enough energy that it doesn't feel like its being melodramatic or annoying with what its saying. With the exception of the final episode, all the show does is lay the cards flat, tells you like it is, but then tries to have an entertaining show around that. Sometimes it works and sometimes it fails on that front. I'm not sure this show is trying explicitly to be special in how it shows things or what its trying to say, but regardless I think its something that people should probably see, whether you like it or not. It should also be noted that I haven't watched Shirobako yet, but plan to eventually.

(TL;DR, its a show that handles the job of a Seiyuu in a way that isn't meant to make the viewer feel depressed or to emotionally screw with you, but at the same time, the show doesn't lie to you about the hardships either.)

Recommended.

1 more down from my backlog. 2 more shows and I can start doing what I want :)

You got those two mixed up, friend.

Rakudai was bad.

I did not. All Asterisk was is basically a story about a chicklet magnet that is so strong that the only reason he couldn't be even stronger is because, *ahem* he had shackle put around his power or something by his older sister or something? Oh and she died at some point too I believe. Then came the disgustingly annoying head patting every 5mins, which reminded me of a friend of a mine that can't help herself but pat every dog she sees on the head.

With Rakudai, at least we were being told the story of a guy that needed to try hard and wanted the acknowledgement of a parent that neglected him. Sure, story is a edgy as any other trashy LN, but at the very least the main character wasn't patting every girl as if they were his pets.

In the beginning I found Rakudai better than Asterisk. But by the end of them both I liked Asterisk better.

Asterisk S2 wasn't anything amazing, but I still found it to be a good watch it is maybe a step or two better than the typical LN battleschool harem tripe I watch.

tuffy

Am I the only one excited that we're getting more Gundam Build fighters even if it's just a Try ova?

I mean the series is far from perfect but their isn't much mecha stuff going on and I really enjoyed how since it's people fighting with toys instead of actual people vs actual people they could get really crazy with some of the battles

Hopefully we'll get a season 3.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. The OVA format promises battles with a lot of visual flair at the very least.

I also wonder how they'll handle the release strategy. Perhaps add English subtitles and offer it as an import edition through RightStuf?

Narag

Do Olympics usually interfere with anime? I cant remember if it did the last time it happened.

Guessing that yes it does.

JooMLyB.png

Sölf

I am currently catching up on the Attack on Titan manga. I was at chapter 49 and had no idea what the fuck was going on, who these people are and that certain organisations even exist. xD
Now, chapter 67. The word "Basement Key" has been uttered.

It begins.

Mandelbo

Re:zero 15

This fucking show is far too brutal - I really want these guys to have a happy ending but I know it won't happen.
Having Subaru completely lose it and close in on himself was really powerful and a very good payoff for his dickishness over the past few episodes, I think.

I really do like how the show often forgoes the OP and ED so as to get into the story right away. Also, that credits scroll was incredibly good and very well framed, emphasising Subaru's general powerlessness
(especially given that he doesn't die in some grand way, he just freezes to death.) Having the credits linger over that shot of his corpse getting slowly covered by the snow was really striking to me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
ReLIFE 5

I know you can overanalyze these things, but Hishiro's social dysfunction is so extreme that I have to believe she's autistic.

I said as much earlier in the month

I know people make jokes about a character in anime having Autism, which in some ways is a product of how character detail is presented in anime, but Hishiro has to be on the spectrum and I'm not saying this as a joke. I'm on episode 6 btw.

BTW on that subject. Anyone know about how autism is treated in japan or its rates? Is it ever portrayed on TV in Japan? Has anyone in an anime been specifically mentioned to have autism?

Li Kao

So, like clockwork, I sorta kinda wanted to watch anime again. After years and years of not really watching anime.

And I watched Taboo Tatto 01...
Then I watched Servamp 01...
Finally, I watched Sakurako and fell in love again. Five episodes in a row. All is well in the world. I hope the series doesn't shit the bed in its final stretch.

I think I should try other mystery anime. I have Ranpo and Hyouka in my sight.

Someone made a comparison between the Mob Psycho 100 anime and manga on Reddit, and good lord is it awesome.

Check here since it's pretty well done and uses video and images from the manga for the comparison.

Regalia - 02

The mecha fights in this show are pretty cool. I liked how this Gottwald looking dude used magician tricks in the battle like cards, illusions etc with his mecha that also wears a top hat and cane!
Too bad I couldn't care less about anything else in this show. Will probably just end up skimming for the fights.

The amount of void time that got spent on the "sizes" question gave me a confused laugh. Now that's an opening cliffhanger if I ever saw one!

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak High School Episode 1 Despair Arc 1: Hello Again, Hope’s Peak High School
CnVmDVUXgAQ_JZo.jpg:small

I like this one a bit more than the other, it just seems nicer to be back in the high school setting and so many crazy characters. Also the OP song and visuals is better than Future arc.

cant wait to see where we go, please dont die.
CnVodHrWAAAehWl.jpg:small
CnVj9DCWgAATEE1.jpg:small

gargles

Danganronpa 3: Despair - 1

Yup, better than Future. Missed some of those guys (Ibuki is still perfect) and also liked
Chisa
. OP and ED were also pretty good. And now, some questions/doubts:

-
That intro. Future's first death now makes sense. She was involved with those Remnants and must have felt despair. Still too soon to consider her the traitor but those first minutes were extremely interesting.
-
Future Foundation must have used Chisa as an inspiration to create Usami/Monomi. It just makes sense.
-
Chiaki. She's real. Where is she? Could be the only one not to fall into despair but now that it's known she existed (unless there's another Neo World Program twist), something must have happened to her during those years. Again, it remains to be seen.

Even though I want to see things unfold in the Future side, my expectations are higher with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom