• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

I thought it was amazing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'm not very fond of it. I think I enjoyed it more at the start
when Subaru was trying to make sense of everything that was happening and caused him to die. There was a sense of mystery in it. And I didn't like the dogs much either. It was a bit unsatisfying that the enemy was a random beast after all that build up, though I suppose the build up was there mainly for the twins. Anyway, the previous antagonist was Elsa and then we got Betelgeuse, it just feels really underwhelming in comparison.
i was half joking because subaru jumped off a cliff at the end

lol

Right, 7 is that episode.

Grexeno

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Despair Arc 01

nbL6Zf7.png
R1N09t3.png

I'm WAYYYYY more into this side of the show.

Ascheroth

I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'm not very fond of it. I think I enjoyed it more at the start
when Subaru was trying to make sense of everything that was happening and caused him to die. There was a sense of mystery in it. And I didn't like the dogs much either. It was a bit unsatisfying that the enemy was a random beast after all that build up, though I suppose the build up was there mainly for the twins. Anyway, the previous antagonist was Elsa and then we got Betelgeuse, it just feels really underwhelming in comparison.

lol

Right, 7 is that episode.

I didn't think it lacking a named antagonist was a problem, since I saw this arc more as an internal conflict as an external one, the beasts were just to round it up a bit.
Episode 7 was a major step for Subaru (heh).
It also did some important world-building/foreshadowing about this current arc I believe and introduced and fleshed out a couple important side characters.

Re zero 09

I agree, don't die

This show is weird in that I'm invested in it as it is now but if Subaru were to die and reset then I'd just drop it because fuck that

Planetrian 02

Still cute and sad. I suspect her operational countdown isn't the time she runs out of power but when she stops operating for good and he doesn't realize it yet.

New Game 02

CnWztyOWAAELGPA.jpg

Shy girl is perfect. Just make the show about her.

Lolis and Mechas 02

Man your country must be pretty open if your Empress' three sizes are considered one of the country's top secrets.

Re: Zero 3-15

So yea! This is majorly fucked up. The background image with the credits rolling on episode 15 was...yea.

I have no idea how Subaru can change this situation.

RangerBAD

Planetrian 02

Still cute and sad. I suspect her operational countdown isn't the time she runs out of power but when she stops operating for good and he doesn't realize it yet.

New Game 02

Lolis and Mechas 02

Man your country must be pretty open if your Empress' three sizes are considered one of the country's top secrets.

Shouldn't it be Lolis Are Mechas?

Cornbread78

Katanagatari-END
A0r3jnN.jpg

UMM, you guys were right; that was an interesting ending. Not too sure how I feel about it right mow, since that epilogue scene kinda made me a little angry... I mean, the climb up the
Shogun's tower destroying all the swords
with the music playing was pretty damn epic. The action and art was beautiful, but dammit, that is not how I expected the show to end, so yeah, I'm a little salty tge way they deconstructed tge entire
relationship I had been following for 11 episodes.
Overall, the anime was excellent, however below is how I'm feeling right now....

tyP5gDj.gif

Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc - 01

Cool how this show assumes that you watch the other one too right at the start.

Despair is better than Hope confirmed. At least as far as the arcs shown so far are concerned. I laughed hard at just how crazy every single scene was. I had forgotten just how much I liked these characters too. Ibuki is the best.

Mandelbo

Actually, regarding the latest episode of Rezero...

Why did Ram have Petra inside the grounds of the mansion? Why just her? Ram obviously died protecting her since their corpses were in the same spot, but the village isn't immediately outside the mansion, so Ram must've already been there and taken Petra back, presumably after all the other children were killed. I'd imagine the cultists would be on the main path like before though, and a child would surely be an easy target while Ram's preoccupied with fighting. It just seems like a weird place for her corpse to be. I can't remember if there were more villagers around the mansion, but for whatever reason I think there might have been.

Also, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but might there be some significance to the fact that Petra had her eyes gouged out? Ram died next to her and she didn't have her eyes removed, so why Petra? Perhaps it's just the witch cultists being incredibly cruel or it was just put in for shock value, but it's a bit odd that they'd only do it to one person (that we've seen)

Battery - 01

None of these characters look their age. A 12 year old is what, a 6th grader? These kids look like they are well in their teens, like 16-17.

I don't understand why the main character is so angsty. His whole family seems great and supportive enough, he's just kind of a brat. I wonder if that's just it, him being one of those difficult kids of if he has a story behind it. Seems like he has something against his dad, even though he seems like a very nice person...

Battery 1

This is a slow burn, as you'd expect from Mochizuki. The pacing is deliberately relaxed, and Mochizuki is content to let us soak in the environment and the natural unwinding of interactions. So there isn't a big hook right off the bat, but there are several ideas being set up with the characters, such as Go's sensitivity to being called a rich kid or Seiha's desire to play baseball despite being prone to sickness, that could prepare interesting developments down the line. The overall visual style is nice, although the animation is a bit unpolished, and this being Mochizuki the sound direction is nuanced and helps create a sense of place. I'll be interested in seeing where this goes.

Cornbread78

Battery ep.1
The character interactions could have been better, but the MC is kinda stale. Obviously, there is a reason for this, which would explain the heavy atmosphere and tone that was presented.
death flags all over little bro dammit.
It makes sense when you ask yourself why they moced in with grandpa, who happens to live near a hospital in a small town..

so what are the shows of the summer season?

Big one is Mob Psycho 100. From the same guy who did One Punch Man. 91 Days is a revenge story set during Prohibition. Had a pretty good first episode. Sweetness and Lightning is adorable. It's a story of a single dad raising his daughter. And of course, Jojo is still great.

Danganronpa 3: Despair Thing
This was one big reminder of how many completely forgettable characters were in DR2's cast. The first half of the episode was one "oh yeah that person existed" after another.

so what are the shows of the summer season?

In weekly release order:

Sweetness and Lightning
Mob Psycho 100
91 Days
Battery
Soma S2
Re:Zero
orange

You also have Danganronpa Future and Despair arcs if you played through both games, and there's also Handa-kun which feels nothing like Barakamon, but had a pretty decent first episode that was pretty funny.

Taruranto

Danganronpa 3: Despair Thing
This was one big reminder of how many completely forgettable characters were in DR2's cast. The first half of the episode was one "oh yeah that person existed" after another.

Meh, I don't think DR2 cast is better or worse than DR1 cast.

I'm interested in seeing how
each of them will fall to despair
, felt like DR2 kinda chickened out. I still have hard time believing someone like Nidai or Akane would do that.

Meh, I don't think DR2 is better or worse than DR1.

I'm interested in seeing how
each of them will fall to despair
, felt like DR2 kinda chickened out. I still have hard time believing someone like Nidai or Akane would do that.

Nidai who knows

Akane
grew up in extreme poverty and hunger
so thats probably it for her

I like the DR1/DR2 casts about the same.

Hifumi and Soda suck. Kyoko and Chiaki are good. Celeste and Sonia are good. Nagito is the best. Ibuki also good

i think both Danganronpa games are fairly even on cast strength. They both have around 5-6 pretty good characters, a good chunk of characters that are okay but not great, and then a couple of really bad characters like Hifumi or Teruteru.

Sometimes its hard to get a feel on all 16 characters when one has to die first.

Like Leon in DR1, when he dies its like ok bye hardly knew ye. Yes he wasn't first but the game set itself with Sayaka. At least you somewhat got a feel for Teruteru

Hmm I agree in that both casts are somewhat even in terms of strength, but I personally leaned more towards the DR2 crew. Sure DR1 had the benefit of coming first and coming up with the formula, with that established I feel like they fleshed the characters out a little more for the second game and I appreciated that.

BTW I wonder if the Despair arc will touch on some of the stuff that happened in Danganronpa/Zero...

manfestival

Thank you all for the recommendations! I looked at the trailers and I think I am going to be checking out jojo and rezero. I did manage to watch mob psycho 100 last night and that was perfect for my tastes.

I know no one else is going to recommend it but D.Gray-Man Hallow is amazing.

Also DAYS and Cheer boys are quite good. Don't let your fujo prejudice stop you from trying Cheer boys.

I watched dgrayman many years ago and loved the show but it was so weird how it just suddenly ended(I know it was a manga thing as usual). How does this compare to that and will it be coming to a sudden stop like before? I dont really remember anything about the show except for how the protag looked

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist ep.52
iXfUAXB.jpg

Action, action, and more action. This episode was packed with three diffent groups battling the different groups of homoculi. Definately good stuff from start to finish and Mustang comes to save the day at the end in badass fashion...

Thank you all for the recommendations! I looked at the trailers and I think I am going to be checking out jojo and rezero. I did manage to watch mob psycho 100 last night and that was perfect for my tastes.

I watched dgrayman many years ago and loved the show but it was so weird how it just suddenly ended(I know it was a manga thing as usual). How does this compare to that and will it be coming to a sudden stop like before? I dont really remember anything about the show except for how the protag looked

It's a direct continuation of the last d.gray-man anime and it's 13 episodes. The material it covers is quite good and if you liked the previous season do give it a try.

But since its been quite a while you may feel a little lost at first since it just continues where it left of.

ibyea

Banned
Personally prefer Dangan Ronpa 2 cast. Yes, there are the terrible ones like Teruteru, Kazuichi, and the nurse, but the first game had Hifumi, Hagakure. All the other ones run from great to okay otherwise. Also the second game has a protagonist with an actual personality, and
Komaeda is a freaking amazing bad guy

Re:Zero 15

This episode.............

I'm speechless I mean I thought the show was good but I didn't think it would be able to create a atmospheric and absolutely amazing episode. I am blown away on how great this episode was.

I haven't seen a single episode that has been as great as this one this whole year. Jesus even if you found Subaru a moron from the last 2 episodes. He does not deserve the mental torture he got from this episode. I felt extremely sad for him, this poor bastard deserved none of this.

That credit scene was too beautiful as if it were an ending to a tragic story. Props to the staff behind this episode. Honestly if the rest of the series goes downhill from here it still wouldn't tarnish this episode's greatness.

10/10

ibyea

Banned
Danganronpa 3 - The End of Hope's Peak Academy: Despair 1
It's all right, a bunch of introductions basically. How I felt about the episode depended on how much I liked the character introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom