• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has Studio Khara worked on? This is the first time I'm hearing of them, lol

Khara is Anno's studio. Their major projects have been the Eva Rebuild movies and the Animator Expo anthology. Their Gravity Rush short animation is being directed by the Rebuild CG director who also handled Cassette Girl in Animator Expo.

Shirobako 15

hJmsBgw.jpg

He's talking about Cornbread.

This felt like the most explicitly educational episode, mostly because of how the dolls were used to deliver information about how pre-production works, whereas up to this point they've been exclusively used to illustrate Miyamori's internal mental debates. I would have preferred information to be delivered directly by Miyamori, who is instructing the new PAs in their jobs anyway. Still, there were many little entertaining moments, and another well-delivered "we're screwed" cliffhanger. Loved that cut to the rain.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mayoiga is a weird show. I enjoy the character interaction because they are so damn absurd and hilarious. A character named Soy latte, Lovepon fascination with execution, and the dark comedy aspect of it. Yes, Lovepon backstory is fucked up, but she's apparently already love execution even before that, so yeah. It is damn wrong to laugh at it, but damn it is funny. It's like seeing a cannibal eating a clown while the clown still spouting a joke. Fucked up, but still funny.

Then there's SILICONE BREAST MONSTER!

The mystery itself is weak and not worth mentioning. Direction as already mentioned was weak too. Even the end of it with all character stop giving a fuck feel meta. Did the creator stop giving fuck as well? Who knows. But hey, at the end of the day, just sing hippopotamus song. That'll sure cheer you up! So yeah, i can't really recommend Mayoiga, but i sure as hell enjoy my time with it.

Exalted

Best looking mecha action scenes in this decade.

Also dem particle effects.

I agree. It had truly great space mecha action, really gorgeous scenes, and use of particles and physics in space. The only thing that maybe brought the show down was the character designs.

tumblr_nogymyHIdd1uohxh3o1_500.gif

blurr

Shirobako 15

This felt like the most explicitly educational episode, mostly because of how the dolls were used to deliver information about how pre-production works, whereas up to this point they've been exclusively used to illustrate Miyamori's internal mental debates. I would have preferred information to be delivered directly by Miyamori, who is instructing the new PAs in their jobs anyway. Still, there were many little entertaining moments, and another well-delivered "we're screwed" cliffhanger. Loved that cut to the rain.

To be fair the conversations between the bear and the girl doll have been hinted as Miyamori's internal monologue.

Cite the best mecha action sequences in the show. I'll wait.
Its been a while and i am on my phone but the first time they use the long range weapon to save a ship was amazing.

Then when they are stuck on the planet near the end of s2, about every action scene during that moment look awesome.

I'll go deeper when I get home if you want.

And the only good cgi mech anime they have has competition is fafner no?

Jarmel

Banned
Its been a while and i am on my phone but the first time they use the long range weapon to save a ship was amazing.

Then when they are stuck on the planet near the end of s2, about every action scene during that moment look awesome.

I'll go deeper when I get home if you want.

This decade has tons of stuff by Orange in Fafner Exodus and Majestic Prince for starters. That's not even going into the Rebuild movies.

If we're including 2D then the answer overall is either Star Driver or GBF.

I agree. It had truly great space mecha action, really gorgeous scenes, and use of particles and physics in space. The only thing that maybe brought the show down was the character designs.

It's closer to modern western sci-fi action choreography than the typical anime robots punching each other in the face stuff. Also I couldn't get enough of the cockpit scenes - so good.

The mecha and super robot genres are in a stale state. it's quite sad.

Line_HTX

Interestingly enough, I never watched a Macross show before, and Frontier was my first one, so I was more or less happy that Delta continued the same kind of dumb fun.

Shirobako 15

This felt like the most explicitly educational episode, mostly because of how the dolls were used to deliver information about how pre-production works, whereas up to this point they've been exclusively used to illustrate Miyamori's internal mental debates. I would have preferred information to be delivered directly by Miyamori, who is instructing the new PAs in their jobs anyway.

Yeh. Fortunately this episode is the one exception.

John Blade

A simple episode which introduce us more about Mei. A nice little sister who want to take care of her brother a bit. Kinda fun to see her get shock of the relationship between Tomoya and Youhei. The misunderstood feeling between Tomoya, Tomoyo, and Kyou is interesting to watch as those two girls think they is something between them with Tomoyo. I guess this will get more interesting later on as we got to see a bit more of Tomoya characters which is absent for a bit now. I guess this will continue as Tomoya reason is to get Tomoyo to go to class early.

The entire basketball challenge is kinda fruitless when you think about it. All to proof the vocal club to see how strong the drama club is so this could change and give the drama club the change to get the teacher. Even so, you got to see Tomoyo play basketball and see him realize they is something which make him want to play after a long while since he was absent from it after an incident.

Overall, simple episode which just build up more development of the Main and side characters in the show.

This decade has tons of stuff by Orange in Fafner Exodus and Majestic Prince for starters. That's not even going into the Rebuild movies.

If we're including 2D then the answer overall is either Star Driver or GBF.
Oh yea I forgot about the rebuild! Then that's the best.

But sidonia's mech battles are way better then MP. MP mechs were kinda ugly which did not help.

As for fafner while the mech battles were awesome they lacked the weight Sidonia battles had IMO.

But yea I wasn't including 2d.

Sidonia should also be loved for the early scene with the high-G turn.

That was some awesome shit.

Also Evangelion: 3.33 didn't have good mecha scenes.

phaze

So, if I want to check some older Macross series, what should I watch? Just Frontier or should I go even further back?

Macross Plus is short, has some great action in it and isn't as dumb as the rest franchise seems to be at least in its first half.

Speaking of which:

Macross Delta 01

Tactical Sound Unit ...

Transdimensional voices ...

I applaud narrator-san for managing to speak those word with straight voice.

I struggle to really form any coherent criticism of the show because the entire premise of idols fighting bu ugghh singing is so utterly bizzare and repugnant and stupid that it clouds my mind. I think I didn't even mind the bad CG too much, it at least allowed for some nice dogfights . But yeah not my cup of tea at all, someone please tell me The Super Dimension Fortress Macross isn't as silly as this, I was planning on checking that out at some point in time but now my resolve is wavering.

Jex

Mob Psycho 100 2
I really want to like this show as so much about it is well made, but it's a comedy that's not funny and that's perhaps the most difficult thing to overcome. It's not a good feeling when you are watching jokes and you come away from them completely stonefaced time and time again. One Punch Man wasn't the funniest show (though it was better at it than this), but it also wasn't nearly as focused on gags. I'm not sure there's any point to watching Mob Psycho if you don't like its humor.

Maybe I'll give this one more episode, but probably not.
For the most part, a 'pure' comedy seeks only to amuse it's audience. If a work that's only trying to make you laugh doesn't make you laugh, then it's failed. That appears to be the accusation you're levelling at MP100, correct?

I'd argue that only looking at the work through the 'comedy' lens unreasonably narrows your view of what the work is trying to achieve. It doesn't feel like a work that you can so easily label and categorise. It's delved into action, emotional drama, teenager longing and yes, plenty of 'humorous' situations.

I'd say that, at this admittedly early juncture, the show's core focus is on the development of Mob. We're following him on a journey - one that admittedly seems to involve him interacting with lots of exaggerated characters in wacky situations. These situations, while often humorous, usually also tells us something important about Mob, whether it's his social anxiety, his isolation or his aspiration to get a girlfriend. For example, the point of having Mob interact with the girls' school isn't just to make some jokes - it's to allow us to witness how Mob interacts with girls as well as to give him a moment of reflection when he deals with the spirits.

This growing understanding and development of Mobs not particularly complicated, or fast moving, but it's certainly feels like the point of the text.

None of the above is contingent on you finding the show to be 'funny'. I don't think the show is funny, but neither does that have any impact on how entertained I am by the series. I guess that I might like the series even more if I also enjoyed the gags, but I don't really have a sense of humour that resonates with Japanese jokes.

What I think is important is that you grow to understand and connect with the protagonist and if that element of the show is not working for you then I can see that being a problem.

Scar-red Rider XechS Episode 3 The Right Profile

Hiro development episode was actually pretty intense. Thought it would be a bit toned down but he proved to be just as exciting as the rest.

Wonder if KENN is next week (backup)

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 01

Tactical Sound Unit ...

Transdimensional voices ...

I applaud narrator-san for managing to speak those word with straight voice.

I struggle to really form any coherent criticism of the show because the entire premise of idols fighting bu ugghh singing is so utterly bizzare and repugnant and stupid that it clouds my mind. I think I didn't even mind the bad CG too much, it at least allowed for some nice dogfights . But yeah not my cup of tea at all, someone please tell me The Super Dimension Fortress Macross isn't as silly as this, I was planning on checking that out at some point in time but now my resolve is wavering.

Their voices can cure the virus outbreak across the galaxy, y'know?

Obligatory "listen to mah song"

Shergal

Mob is anything but a comedy whenever they get into the meat of an arc. It has gags, sure, as does every shounen manga. Show'll kick into gear starting from the next episode probably.

It's true though that the humor mostly works in static panneling transitions (that's what ONE uses best when conveying his jokes), not so much animation.

phaze

Star Driver the Movie

First 5 minutes

on_awa13p7szk.gif

After first 5 minutes
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

But why ? For what purpose ?

would you put one of greatest mecha fight scenes I've seen and some bizzarro weird post-tv show story bite at the beginning of a recap movie when you planned to do absolutely nothing with the latter.

Their voices can cure the virus outbreak across the galaxy, y'know?

Obligatory "listen to mah song"

I listened and it was bad desu.

Qurupeke

Macross Plus is short, has some great action in it and isn't as dumb as the rest franchise seems to be at least in its first half.

I'll watch it because of its length, but I think I'm enjoying Delta mostly because it's dumb fun and it has nice action. Missing the former doesn't seem like a "plus" to me. lol

And I suggest to just accept Delta's crazy concepts because it only gets more weird, in case you plan to continue. Also, I think the CGI gets better, or maybe I got used to it. The battles definitely improve though.

duckroll

Star Driver the Movie

would you put one of greatest mecha fight scenes I've seen and some bizzarro weird post-tv show story bite at the beginning of a recap movie when you planned to do absolutely nothing with the latter.

That's probably all Aniplex was willing to pay for, but they wanted another 2 hours from BONES, lol.

Just T

91 Days: 2

Don't really like all of the flashing scenes in the OP but the bits I do like revolve around Angelo and his family, I thought those were woven in well. This was a good second episode though and that was a surprise ending, wonder how he's going to get out of that. Also I wonder if Corteo will stick around the whole way.

JulianImp

JOJO - DIU #16
Cool episode, even though it felt like Jotaro should've known to respect animal stand users more after having fought alongside Iggy and against that creepy orangutan. It was a bit weird that both rats got exactly the same stand as well, but having to fight against two separate stands would probably have resulted in a two-parter rather than what we ended up getting, so I was okay with it.

Re:Zero #16
Subaru's conceit is certainly taking a toll on him. The show appears to be mocking and tormenting Subaru for thinking of himself as the only person who has the right to make Emilia happy, and that's an interesting, if edgy, twist on the generic isekai LN protagonist archetype.

Taboo Tattoo ep 3

*1 min in,evil girl force a kiss on a loli and grope her butt.*
Why? Can't there be other way established she is evil instead of sexual exploit?

Because girls are meant to be pure and innocent, so having someone do lewd things instantly screams "antagonist"... or something. Evil Is Sexy trope and all that, I guess...

Basically, why even try to write a compelling character intro when you can just look up the tvtropes entry for any given anime character archetype and just pick the single most obvious trope for use in your script? That cheap way to characterize her probably helps the audience tell that she's completely unredeemable, as opposed to a girl antagonist who does evil things but doesn't make out with her hostages or kills Krillin for fun, which might end up regretting her actions and joining the good guys. Or just a well-written, complex character who isn't just having his/her bad/good slider twisted one way or the other in a strictly two-dimensional way.

phaze

I'll watch it because of its length, but I think I'm enjoying Delta mostly because it's dumb fun and it has nice action. Missing the former doesn't seem like a "plus" to me. lol

And I suggest to just accept Delta's crazy concepts because it only gets more weird, in case you plan to continue. Also, I think the CGI gets better, or maybe I got used to it. The battles definitely improve though.

I'll pass for now, fortunately it seems that, outside of that one episode of KnK, I'm still allergic to idols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom