• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Is it worth buying the collectable maps with your overcharge? I'm afraid the main and side missions won't give me enough overcharge to buy all the weapons I'll want if I blow it on the maps.

Voror

Quick question; As someone who has always counted the Ratchet and Clank series as one of my all time favorites and one I can always count on for some fun, would I enjoy this as much as I think I would? From the sound, it seems to sort of evolve many of the aspects I enjoy in those games.

Strong considering picking up the bundle tomorrow.

Teggy

Are the times on the longest traverses hours minutes seconds or minutes seconds milliseconds? I hope the latter and the game isn't already hacked.

Ok.....So unfortunately..

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!!! For the past like hour, I think I recorded a crazy amount of uploads. Every moment is awesome. Idky but I feel so badass when I'm grinding shooting teddy's, under grinding, switching weapons to explode shit, jumping off bouncing off something else, in the air killing countless of OD! Like I love it so much. I got to say that this is definitely one of my favorite games of this year. I can't stop playing lol. It's too too good! The quirky humor is fun too. It doesn't take itself too serious and feels like an MTV sitcom at certain moments. That's fine by me. I kind of wanted to express that.

Perfection

iZCU2np5lURfK.jpg

Quick question; As someone who has always counted the Ratchet and Clank series as one of my all time favorites and one I can always count on for some fun, would I enjoy this as much as I think I would? From the sound, it seems to sort of evolve many of the aspects I enjoy in those games.

I'm a big ratchet fan and the weapons have a similar feel. Some are almost clones of weapons but most of them just feel familiar, all in a good way. The movement and stuff is more like JSRF/Crackdown though.

Is it worth buying the collectable maps with your overcharge? I'm afraid the main and side missions won't give me enough overcharge to buy all the weapons I'll want if I blow it on the maps.

You won't be able to afford all them. I just finished the game, did every side mission and golded every challenge and I still only have half the maps. I did buy all the weapons though.

Also should mention that I did get some overcharge through Chaos Squad, probably 30,000 of it or so.

But yeah, if you for sure want all the weapons I wouldn't buy all the maps, maybe just the ones for the Factory District until you're able to buy all the weapons you want.

Everyone here is playing as good-looking girls. Did I miss the memo and end up being the only person who chose the guy?

Not really. Remember that a small localized sample isn't necessarily a representation of the whole population. If GAF/the internet's choices were true to everybody, then Female Shepard would be way more popular than she actually is when people chose the gender in Mass Effect. I'm playing as the dude because I like to roleplay, and it's easier with a character of my same gender.

KdylanR92

So Air Dash is the greatest thing ever.....that is all

and shout out to the Roman Candle, being one of the only automatic weapons i like so far

Not really. Remember that a small localized sample isn't necessarily a representation of the whole population. If GAF/the internet's choices were true to everybody, then Female Shepard would be way more popular than she actually is when people chose the gender in Mass Effect.

It was just a bit of a sarcastic/joke comment. I know a lot of people are playing as guys, but a lot of the photos here have been of women.

(I don't have any issue with guys playing as girls, either)

Maybe my humour sucks?

Everyone here is playing as good-looking girls. Did I miss the memo and end up being the only person who chose the guy?

I wanted to play as a guy as I usually love to dress them more than women, but since I'm a girl and the body proportions are true to mine, I definitely was making a girl. Plus they have my afro that I actually have. It felt like an enlightening experience. Insomniac so far is the only developers who has blessed me with my actual hairstyle. I cried lol.

Sobriquet

Music taste is an individual taste. I like EDM in my daily life and in certain games. I find a JSRF-like soundtrack works best for games like Sunset.

I love EDM. I started DJing in clubs in 1995. I just don't think it would fit in a game so strongly influenced by punk rock. The music is perfect.

Sydle

Really impressed with what Insomniac made with this game. Loving it.

Really making it hard to resist a One. Thinking I'll pick one up after I move next year. paying for two online services is a hard pill to swallow :/

Also, we can finally stop calling Insomniac a shitty studio? Not that they ever were IMO.

I'm finding that harder to accept as a valid objection given how many free games and discounts are on PSN and Live.

Me too. And I'm a gods damn fashion God while I'm at it.

Survivor beard in possibly radioactive color scheme? Check.
Bunny-eared military helmet? Check.
Aviator glasses? Check.
Big Smiles Skull face paint? Check.
Fur lined vest and bones over skull tee? Check.
Sailor tattoos all over the place? Check.
Plate mail gauntlets of heroism? Check.
*Bad-ass* belt-buckled 'Charlie Don't Surf!' flex-fit apocalyptic motor pants? Check.
Jester boots of foolish grinding? Check.
Giant sword of miscellaneous slaying? Check.

I am ready for any and all things.

So is there any way to tell when wall-running when you're going to round a corner and when you're not? Because it seems pretty random on my end. Sometimes I'l stay attached and sometimes I'll just keep running off the edge

sith ewok

I am so freaking in love with this game. Easily my goty and I doubt anything will knock it off of the top of that list. It's just full of so much unadulterated fun.

I don't find it to be as easy as many others here have said, though. I keep falling back into the mode of running around on the ground and getting my butt kicked. The air dash certainly helps escape from those messes, though.

So much fun... I keep playing long after I said I would turn the system off...

Grisby

I've only played the PS3 RC game (CIT, ITN, Future) but the weapon upgrading is the same and a lot of fun. The traversal feels more complex in Sunset because of how you can chain moves together to get around the world. It's got the colorful attitude of RC but it does lay on the f-bombs once in a while.

Oh, and the mission variety is pretty good and the regular combat is awesome (if you get into it that is).

R&C: ToD was one of my favorite PS3 games and I get those vibes playing this game. I think you'll love it as I am loving it, it might be one of the most pure fun single player games I've played in the last 3-4 years.

Teggy

So is there any way to tell when wall-running when you're going to round a corner and when you're not? Because it seems pretty random on my end. Sometimes I'l stay attached and sometimes I'll just keep running off the edge

You have to hit X before the corner to take a 90 degree turn. They don't explain this until the second area for some strange reason.

If you want to try it before you buy it, you can use it during its weapon challenge.

Do you happen to know where that challenge is located?

Ok.....So unfortunately..

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!!! For the past like hour, I think I recorded a crazy amount of uploads. Every moment is awesome. Idky but I feel so badass when I'm grinding shooting teddy's, under grinding, switching weapons to explode shit, jumping off bouncing off something else, in the air killing countless of OD! Like I love it so much. I got to say that this is definitely one of my favorite games of this year. I can't stop playing lol. It's too too good! The quirky humor is fun too. It doesn't take itself too serious and feels like an MTV sitcom at certain moments. That's fine by me. I kind of wanted to express that.

Perfection

iZCU2np5lURfK.jpg

I have the same style. Two toned 'fro for the motherfucking win!

E92 M3

I love EDM. I started DJing in clubs in 1995. I just don't think it would fit in a game so strongly influenced by punk rock. The music is perfect.

I don't see any punk influence - but it's all good. To me, Sunset is just a spiritual successor to JSRF.

Female is the best for this - in my opinion. Love how my character turned out.

JLeack

Banned

The animations, voice acting, and looks of the thick female are 10/10. Seriously, I couldn't stand the slim guy. It's like night and day.

There are some great female hairstyles. I always test those out before choosing my character, but usually go with a male.

Saints Row forces me to change, though, because of its profile rewards.

njean777

I am liking the game now that I have most of the traversal moves. I really wished they hadn't of kept the air dash, and super bounce away from you for so long. Other then that I have no complaints.

Voror

I'm a big ratchet fan and the weapons have a similar feel. Some are almost clones of weapons but most of them just feel familiar, all in a good way. The movement and stuff is more like JSRF/Crackdown though.

I've only played the PS3 RC game (CIT, ITN, Future) but the weapon upgrading is the same and a lot of fun. The traversal feels more complex in Sunset because of how you can chain moves together to get around the world. It's got the colorful attitude of RC but it does lay on the f-bombs once in a while.

Oh, and the mission variety is pretty good and the regular combat is awesome (if you get into it that is).

R&C: ToD was one of my favorite PS3 games and I get those vibes playing this game. I think you'll love it as I am loving it, it might be one of the most pure fun single player games I've played in the last 3-4 years.

All right, all sounds like what I was hoping for. Thanks for the responses.

I'd love if they gave us a "Floor is Lava" mode to free-roam around the city with like in the Bad Medicine mission. This game need single-player cheat codes. Man I wish we had cheat codes. Or...Keys to the city.

Nowise10

Okay, can someone back me up, and say that the "Weapon Challenge #1 - Charge Beam" is just badly designed? I've been playing this challenge for over an hour, and it it litterally all depending on where the enemies spawn, and if they spawn in a pile. I've gotten in the 140K's a handful of times, but not 150K (which is what I need to hit Gold). It is getting pretty annoying now after an hour.

Or am I missing something. Every other 40 challenges I've done so far haven't been this difficult. Pleas tell me I'm missing something.

Top Bottom