• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hey everybody, how's it going?

I fucking finally did it. I
beat the first boss (Keroberos) in DMC3.

It only took me all of last night and most of today's afternoon! Surely at this lightning-fast pace I'll be done with DMC3 in like 2 months!

Technically I beat Cerberus twice, but the first time I used the Vital Star S you can find on the ground at Mission 2 but then I felt disgusting and did the fight proper and raw.

Good work. DMC is intended to be played without items.

And don't fret about the time. Cerberus is a gatekeeper of sorts while you're still acclimating yourself to the controls and options available. You'll find things will get a little bit easier as you begin to accrue new skills. I would say that Cerberus and one other certain boss fight is what gives newbies the most grief on their first playthroughs.

Seriously go back and chose Gold orbs. you don't even need to use any it just gives you infinite continues

Yellow Orbs, like the way your forefathers did!

Xiraiya

tumblr_inline_ndq19685PK1r4rwsu.gif
That guy is annoying to look at.

Dub Rise is great, Laura Bailey is fantastic
I'm sure Laura Bailey has roles where she sounds fine, but as Rise she's all over the place and very grating to listen to, she doesn't make a good teenager.

Xiraiya

Guessing you're not a fan of Jontron?
I've only seen random things, I don't really care for him or Gamegrumps, so really I just find the gifs to be dumb, but whatever floats your boat.
Really nearly all of the LPers I've ever heard have been really fucking annoying honestly, I don't really like them, they sound like people I wouldn't want in my life, TSBF are generally not that annoying to listen to and that's primarily why I watch their stuff.

ultimax

I'm sure Laura Bailey has roles where she sounds fine, but as Rise she's all over the place and very grating to listen to, she doesn't make a good teenager.

I think Rise sounds fine in english, but honestly the japanese voice is disgusting.

in my opinion, i think Laura Bailey's best role is Kaine from Nier

I've only seen random things, I don't really care for him or Gamegrumps, so really I just find the gifs to be done, but whatever floats your boat.
Really nearly all of the LPers I've ever heard have been really fucking annoying honestly, I don't really like them, they sound like people I wouldn't want in my life, TSBF are generally not that annoying to listen to and that's primarily why I watch their stuff.

I used to watch Gamegrumps long long ago, but I remember Jontron being somewhat funny.

I only really watch SBFP and Yo!Videogames because I find Max and Simmons to be funny, given they can be a little loud at time.

Ilvocare

Seriously go back and chose Gold orbs. you don't even need to use any it just gives you infinite continues

As tempting as that is, that would involve me fighting Cerberus again. I've had my charisma break before. Trust me, you'll know if I back down.

Good work. DMC is intended to be played without items.

And don't fret about the time. Cerberus is a gatekeeper of sorts while you're still acclimating yourself to the controls and options available. You'll find things will get a little bit easier as you begin to accrue new skills. I would say that Cerberus and one other certain boss fight is what gives newbies the most grief on their first playthroughs.

Fair enough but his new weapon is making my head spin just a bit as to how I can connect it and Rebellion together. Also I ended up buying Stinger L2, the first Blue Orb, and no Yellow Orbs. I also
beat the first secret mission, which apparently is also supposed to be a problem for new DMC players but I felt it wasn't AS bad as people made it out to be?

Dub Rise is great, Laura Bailey is fantastic

Dub Rise is great and Dub Labrys is also great. How else will my third robot buddy serenade me with dreams of clam chowdah served on the edge of a jet-powered battleaxe?

Xiraiya

I think Rise sounds fine in english, but honestly the japanese voice is disgusting.
It really doesn't sound natural, it's awkward as fuck, I don't know why they keep the whole "Senpai" nonsense when dubbing Persona, it doesn't work naturally in English context, it sounds stupid and also sarcastic.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Wait, are people shitting on Jontron now?

And Rise sounds fine. Laura Bailey rules.

in my opinion, i think Laura Bailey's best role is Kaine from Nier

Never played Nier, so my answer is Honda from Fruits Basket.

It really doesn't sound natural, it's awkward as fuck, I don't know why they keep the whole "Senpai" nonsense when dubbing Persona, it doesn't work naturally in English context, it sounds stupid and also sarcastic.

That's one thing that really really bothered me about playing P4 dubbed. I felt like I was reading fanfiction because everyone had Senpai, or something behind it. It made it feel like it was trying way to fucking hard to be Japanese.

Xiraiya

The only dub voice in P4 that doesn't sound constantly awkward is Kanji, Nanako is actually decent at times too, but still.

Ilvocare

I feel like the alternative of "have these Japanese-born children say nothing Japanese related or allude to Japanese customs" is way worse.

I've only seen random things, I don't really care for him or Gamegrumps, so really I just find the gifs to be dumb, but whatever floats your boat.

Understandable if all you see are gifs of him. Don't care for GameGrumps either (especially since he jumped ship) but his own videos actually have some substance to them and his delivery is on point. Cracks me up.

KdylanR92

In OT 11 I said I was going to try to keep up with these threads because I love the best friends, I immediately broke that promise.......like within the hour.

It is now OT 14 and I look back on my past comment in shame, if only I had the time to keep up with these threads, finish Resonance Of Fate and feed my addiction to Monster Hunter.

Xiraiya

I feel like the alternative of "have these Japanese-born children say nothing Japanese related or allude to Japanese customs" is way worse.

I think if you're dubbing Japanese stuff then keep the words for things intact, nothing more, the biggest crime I see in most dubs are japanese things being over pronounced which makes it unnatural.
Like take the stupid Naruto dub, they basically say "NEENJA" instead of just saying ninja in a normal way, it's ridiculous.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think if you're dubbing Japanese stuff then keep the words for things intact, nothing more, the biggest crime I see in most dubs are japanese things being over pronounced which makes it unnatural, if people don't understand why a rice ball is popular food or something then they're watching/playing the wrong stuff.

Like take the stupid Naruto dub, they basically say "NEENJA" instead of just saying ninja in a normal way, it's ridiculous.

Yeah, that's something I noticed in the Bleach dub too. Ichigo's sister's name is Karin, but JYB says it "KAH-LIN!". Yeesh.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fair enough but his new weapon is making my head spin just a bit as to how I can connect it and Rebellion together. Also I ended up buying Stinger L2, the first Blue Orb, and no Yellow Orbs. I also
beat the first secret mission, which apparently is also supposed to be a problem for new DMC players but I felt it wasn't AS bad as people made it out to be?

Nah, that Secret Mission isn't bad. Some people might have trouble with it at the start because they don't know how to cancel their attacks properly or close distances well. I've never really heard of it being notorious or anything for beginners.

The beauty of DMC3 is that you're practically only limited by your own imagination and execution. You can do something simple like High Time > Revolver > Stinger, but things really start to open up once you incorporate enemy step cancels.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I think if you're dubbing Japanese stuff then keep the words for things intact, nothing more, the biggest crime I see in most dubs are japanese things being over pronounced which makes it unnatural.

I've said it before, and it seems like common sense, but no one fucking does it.

Adapt honorifics to their western equivalent, please. Or if they don't work or are never used, get rid of them (ie chan).

Alfebit

Banned
In OT 11 I said I was going to try to keep up with these threads because I love the best friends, I immediately broke that promise.......like within the hour.

It is now OT 14 and I look back on my past comment in shame, if only I had the time to keep up with these threads, finish Resonance Of Fate and feed my addiction to Monster Hunter.

Git Gud. :p

Ilvocare

So what, just have translator's notes pop up whenever something new is mentioned? Like granted, the original PS2 release of P4 had those but they were A) not in the game themselves and B) in a dedicated couple of pages in the manual.

Basically they were out of the way.

The complaint about over-pronounciation is valid.

Git gud.

I've memorized every post in every thread, maintained a job and classes and fed my addiction to monster hunter
and by that I meant like played it for an hour.

I also didn't memorize any post.

Ilvocare

Because DBZ and DB's dubs are some of the best ever made.

And DB is fucking old as shit.

I think it is way easier to basically dub anime that doesn't explicitly take place in Japan than when it does. Granted, it can be screwed up, but it's harder to do so.

Oh Slayers, I'll get to the good half of your dub one day...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The PSN sale is over. Now I just have to hold out until Amazon resets the price of the Xrd digital download code back to normal (it's still $20 there). I can do this...*shakes uncontrollably*

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I think it is way easier to basically dub anime that doesn't explicitly take place in Japan than when it does. Granted, it can be screwed up, but it's harder to do so.

Oh Slayers, I'll get to the good half of your dub one day...

Didn't Monsters dub almost get completed and it was apparently amazing but they scrapped it for some reason?

I can't wait for that dub to maybe perhaps one day come out.

Xiraiya

So what, just have translator's notes pop up whenever something new is mentioned? Like granted, the original PS2 release of P4 had those but they were A) not in the game themselves and B) in a dedicated couple of pages in the manual.
It's a japanese game set in Japanese culture, if people can't figure out what things mean based on name then that's not really the game's fault.

The game should not adapt to the player, the player should adapt to the game, end of story.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
It's a japanese game set in Japanese culture, if people can't figure out what things mean based on name then that's not really the game's fault.

The game should not adapt to the player, the player should adapt to the game, end of story.

If you think about it from a business standpoint, the people localizing the game may fear that not making the game accessible enough will hurt their sales. So they take try and adapt the game to the player.

Not to the point where they call rice balls hot dogs, but subtle changes and translations.

I just wish they would get rid of every single chan and san and replace them tho. That's localization I would love to see.

The PSN sale is over. Now I just have to hold out until Amazon resets the price of the Xrd digital download code back to normal (it's still $20 there). I can do this...*shakes uncontrollably*
Good luck. Its hard to resist buying games that you're a fan of the franchise/developer.

Imma preorder UNIEL because of French Bread now...

Xiraiya

If you think about it from a business standpoint, the people localizing the game may fear that not making the game accessible enough will hurt their sales. So they take try and adapt the game to the player.

If you're going to go out of your way to localize a game and then change everything about it in a misguided attempt to make it relatable to another culture, they're basically using the logic of "I want this cool thing from another country, but also want it to be completely made for me"

It's nonsensical and contradictory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom