• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimax

Don't forget Luna from Virtue's Last Reward either.
Also an amazing role.
It really doesn't sound natural, it's awkward as fuck, I don't know why they keep the whole "Senpai" nonsense when dubbing Persona, it doesn't work naturally in English context, it sounds stupid and also sarcastic.
That's actually one of my biggest pet peeves about dubs, I can't stand when they keep the honorifics in there. Like it makes no god damn sense. It's even worse in persona because they abuse the fuck out of the word senpai

360pages

I think the worst offender is Kai is using the Japanese Name for Special Beam Cannon...despite the name translating to roughly Light Demon Drill anyway...

Mathaou

legacy of cane
If you're going to go out of your way to localize a game and then change everything about it in a misguided attempt to make it relatable to another culture, they're basically using the logic of "I want this cool thing from another country, but also want it to be completely made for me"

It's nonsensical and contradictory.

We do that all the time, I'm not saying it's the best way, I would love to see developers localizing a game and change nothing about it (except the honorifics) too, but American companies have a history of doing just that.

Western movie adaptations, california rolls, etc...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Eeat your hamburgers guardian

Aaaaand it all links back to localization. Good job.
232992.jpg

Same here. If it wasn't so goddamn expensive to buy or make, I'd eat it more often. It's an easy snack.

Yep, it can be pricey, but oh boy is it worth it. I seriously never get tired of it.

Yeah, that's something I noticed in the Bleach dub too. Ichigo's sister's name is Karin, but JYB says it "KAH-LIN!". Yeesh.
I hear the director(s) for Viz's dubs might be keeping too closely to the Japanese pronunciations/cadences, which might be something forced on them or because one of their directors/producers are Japanese.

That one time I tried a California roll I didn't like it because it was sweet in a weird way, and everything else sounds like it'd taste fish as fuck so no thank you

Shark is fucking amazing though guys

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If we're going to classify Sushi as fish, something I'm not entirely sure about, then I'd say Sushi is the type of fish I enjoy eating the most. There are about a billion different types however, so it's not always too great. If you have the chance, try California Rolls.

Sushi is actually a food that contains vinegared rice, which is why California Rolls and other vegetable rolls are sushi. The fish is Sashimi. They get used interchangeably in the west pretty often, though.

California rolls are a good starter roll. The avocado emulates fresh tuna.

That one time I tried a California roll I didn't like it because it was sweet in a weird way, and everything else sounds like it'd taste fish as fuck so no thank you

High quality sushi won't taste or smell fishy.

I'm a meat eater.

I've tried multiple variation of fish(sushi included) and I can't do it.

Fuck fish. It's not meat.

Gimme some good choice meat in my mouth and tummy and all over my face.

If we're getting into fried fish, then Calamari and Shrimp are amazing.

Shrimp is GOAT.

These also work. I love calamari and squid.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm a meat eater.

I've tried multiple variation of fish(sushi included) and I can't do it.

Fuck fish. It's not meat.

Gimme some good choice meat in my mouth and tummy and all over my face.

Believe me. I'll take a medium rare Ribeye over any regular fish any day of the week.

High quality sushi is just different, though. For me, it's really spectacular.

Alfebit

Banned
If we're going to classify Sushi as fish, something I'm not entirely sure about, then I'd say Sushi is the type of fish I enjoy eating the most. There are about a billion different types however, so it's not always too great. If you have the chance, try California Rolls.

Yeah, ever since I was a kid I just can't stand the taste or smell of fish so I haven't gone out of my to try any types of sushi. I'll give it a try sometime.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Starter roll, hmm? Any recommendations?

I just meant that it's a good way for people who are usually opposed to raw fish to get into sushi. Don't get me wrong. I like California Rolls a lot too. They're yummy.

California Rolls were designed with the west in mind. The avocado emulates the melt in your mouth quality of fatty tuna, and the roll is made with the rice on the outside because westerners didn't like the texture of seaweed in their mouths when they eat rolls.

I think you could easily go from California rolls to Spicy Tuna rolls and Rainbow rolls. Lots of sushi places will have their own custom rolls that you can try.

Seafood is amazing.

Speaking about something earlier, I get bummed when a thing starts to grow in fanbase and production gets better BUT the actual product changes and your left with 70% different stuff and 30% of what you actually liked about it in the first place. Case in point, AVGN and Nostalgia Critic.

Seafood is amazing.
Speaking about something earlier, I get bummed when a thing starts to grow in fanbase and production gets better BUT the actual product changes and your left with 70% different stuff and 30% of what you actually liked about it in the first place. Case in point, AVGN and Nostalgia Critic.

Diversification is necessary, especially if you're competing for people's attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom