• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Xiraiya

Vector Cannon in ZOE2 is pretty cool, but I still feel like some of the weapons in Zoids are more hype.

The particle beam cannon makes a zoid open every vent it possibly has and plants it's self into the ground while taking a stance to effectively turn it's self into a mounted cannon is still the coolest thing I've seen, especially when it's fired from the ground and slices through a huge ship orbiting the planet that it no one could even detect.

Between that, and Energy shields being manipulated into energy blades and then later reconfigured in a way where a shield has disintegrating properties allowing a Zoid to be launched from a giant gun across the planet as a goddamn missile just to plow through an ancient Death machine walking around nuking cities and countries.

Man, Zoids was so hype.

360pages

Like Street Fighter has?

Street Fighter if both players are playing even close to competently without being wailed on. The Fatigue meter probably won't fill.

I was more thinking about an old DBZ game where taking X amount of Damage will give you fatigue with no way of lowering it whatsoever. Meaning you are going to get Fatigued if it's a close match.

So I beat my first Seregios.

That's an awesome battle. I really liked the design even if he's just another wyvern and the bleed mechanic is actually super interesting to me. In a game where movement is life or death, now we force you to stand still or lose all your life.

Now explain this to me. So his CB has itty bitty slivers of white sharpness, maxed out on the bar. That means it won't go any higher? And every sidestep will sharpen it?

That's all we know. They could have an opening and closing movie for the campaign, or they could have an opening and closing movie for each section. I'd much prefer an entire campaign, but I'm just looking at different possibilities.

EDIT: Hyyyype, he's got Dimensional Slash:

SilkyGranularAruanas.gif

He's also got an uppercut and a spinning overhead slash (reverse and forward)

Lady was just shooting some guns and Trish had a divekick.

If I was good at making gifs I'd post them.

Edit: Lady also has Kalina Ann that looks similar to the one from DMC3, and an upclose explosive punch or magnum(?) that sent her flying back.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He's also got an uppercut and a spinning overhead slash (reverse and forward)

Lady was just shooting some guns and Trish had a divekick.

If I was good at making gifs I'd post them.

ladycuhrayzee80poc.gif

It looks like she's got a gunstinger that cancels into a recoil shot, and Kalina Ann hysterics.

Vergil has aerial Lunar Phase now, which makes a ton of sense.

EDIT: Vergil confirmed playable in any mission.

So I beat my first Seregios.

That's an awesome battle. I really liked the design even if he's just another wyvern and the bleed mechanic is actually super interesting to me. In a game where movement is life or death, now we force you to stand still or lose all your life.

Now explain this to me. So his CB has itty bitty slivers of white sharpness, maxed out on the bar. That means it won't go any higher? And every sidestep will sharpen it?
Check this video out, for explanation and recommendations https://youtu.be/6VNFCmg48Lw

Simple version of the explanation is it gets sharpened when you roll.

ladycuhrayzee80poc.gif

It looks like she's got a gunstinger that cancels into a recoil shot, and Kalina Ann hysterics.

Vergil has aerial Lunar Phase now, which makes a ton of sense.

Yup, also some more Trish attacks. It looks like she's carrying some kind of giant laser that she throws on the ground before she fires. Its interesting to see how she's gonna play since she's gonna require less inputs then the other characters. Since she's carrying Sparda's sword she might be the power character that has less complex inputs and is slower, but does way more damage.

Maybe in celebration, I'll beat all three Vergil fights in 3 without taking a hit. Better brush up on those Royal Guard skills. Either that or play five seconds of Divekick with Red Vergil. I usually win but then Red Vergil gets super salty and Triggers, he's a very sore loser.

I wake up, drag my ass to class, and first thing I see is DMC4SE news among which is playable Vergil, Lady, AND Trish?

Fuck, they are making good on my dream scenario of a DMC with multiple playable characters. This is so good.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know it's a long shot but I hope you can fight Vergil and Dante as one or the other for old time's sake. "Hey Vergil look at my new laser!"

Since you can play Vergil in any mission, you can absolutely fight against Dante at least. I do hope they include a Vergil fight somewhere.

I hope at the least, we get to play Vergil against Dante, since Dante fights are already in.

That's obviously gonna happen since we know Vergil can play any level. An extra Vergil boss fight, whether in the story or a side thing or Bloody Palace or whatever, would be incredible.

Also, love how in the first 10 seconds of video is just "Director, Hideako Itsuno" is just right on the screen.

If we do get a Vergil boss fight then along with Dante and Credo that's three one on one humanoid boss fights which would be fucking great. No one does one on one humanoid boss fights as good as Itsuno and co.

Oberon

Banned
Images from Gematsu.

Looks like Vergil has his Devil Trigger, surprising literally no one.

To be honest, I don't really like how DMC 4 plays. (I just got to the stuttering doc boss fight, and stopped because I still have to play DMC 1,2 and 3) I was too used to MGR , W101 and later bayonetta's character movement speed .

I hope that poster is the cover...it looks great

also, Liam dropping truth bombs.

Bigger discussion than Kojima on podcast, I calling it now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
To be honest, I don't really like how DMC 4 plays. (I just got to the stuttering doc boss fight, and stopped because I still have to play DMC 1,2 and 3) I was too used to MGR , W101 and later bayonetta's character movement speed.

DMC4 is way faster than MGR. It's just harder to be that fast.

To be honest, I don't really like how DMC 4 plays. (I just got to the stuttering doc boss fight, and stopped because I still have to play DMC 1,2 and 3) I was too used to MGR , W101 and later bayonetta's speed character movement.

Its a very different game from anything Platinum has made. The closest thing would probably be Bayonetta, but even then its still much different.

Also, starting at 4 is probably the worst place to do it. That game kind of expects you to already know how DMC plays or else it'll just seem like a confusing mess. DMC overall just has a higher learning curve compared to other action games, even those made by Platinum. But man does it just feels so good to play.

Archgan

This talk of hometowns (which I think might be the most that word has been used on this thread with it actually meaning what it says) has reminded me that I never asked, how big is/was all of your high school graduating classes? I always like to see if anyone had a smaller one than me.
There is probably going to be exactly 150 in my graduating class unless a few other people dropout. And something that is kinda bullshit is up until the end of the second marking period, there were 3 people tied for first in the class including myself. At the end of the marking period, the other guy and I were about 1 point short of an A in one of our classes. Even though we'll both probably have an A average by graduation, the third person who just barely got an A in the class will be the official valedictorian. Also, even though the second guy and I have the same GPA right now, he gets to he the salutatorian.

But I don't actually care that much and neither do the other people. In one way, I'm sorta glad this happened because I won't have to make a speech.

And now this is late because I had to stop in the middle to take a math test.

Its a very different game from anything Platinum has made. The closest thing would probably be Bayonetta, but even then its still much different.

Also, starting at 4 is probably the worst place to do it. That game kind of expects you to already know how DMC plays or else it'll just seem like a confusing mess.

I'd say Nero is a pretty good starting character for the genre but then at the halfway mark the game just drops Dante onto you with a lot of proud souls so you can upgrade him enough to do cool shit right off the bat but the problem is that for someone who hasn't played 3 they don't know what to do with Dante or his styles hell they probably wouldn't know to get basic shit like the double jump or the Stinger.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nero was basically designed as a beginner character, with a plethora of options tied to single buttons and timing. His design is efficient, and seemingly simple, but deceptively complex when you consider the uses of Buster, DT, charge shot, etc.

I'd say Nero is a pretty good starting character for the genre but then at the halfway mark the game just drops Dante onto you with a lot of proud souls so you can upgrade him enough to do cool shit right off the bat but the problem is that for someone who hasn't played 3 they don't know what to do with Dante or his styles hell they probably wouldn't know to get basic shit like the double jump or the Stinger.
I think even basic stuff like knowing how to roll dodge and using jumping is sorta just expected of you, that first boss is too much for a series newbie. Even just knowing how to play DMC1 goes a long way to making 4 way smoother to transition into with Nero.
There is probably going to be exactly 150 in my graduating class unless a few other people dropout. And something that is kinda bullshit is up until the end of the second marking period, there were 3 people tied for first in the class including myself. At the end of the marking period, the other guy and I were about 1 point short of an A in one of our classes. Even though we'll both probably have an A average by graduation, the third person who just barely got an A in the class will be the official valedictorian. Also, even though the second guy and I have the same GPA right now, he gets to he the salutatorian.

But I don't actually care that much and neither do the other people. In one way, I'm sorta glad this happened because I won't have to make a speech.

And now this is late because I had to stop in the middle to take a math test.
That's a weird situation. Kinda sucks, but oh well I suppose. Makes a good story.

360pages

Actually I prefer DMC3/4 over Both Bayos, they are all great games. But the more weighted combat of DMC always appealed to me more.

360pages

To be fair, DMC first real bosses have always been tough. Weirdly enough. I think DMC3 actually had the best curve with Cerberus being after a mini boss of some sort.

Actually I prefer DMC3/4 over Both Bayos, they are all great games. But the more weighted combat of DMC always appealed to me more.
Same, but Bayo 2 comes really close to my enjoyment of DMC4. They did a lot to make it really satisfying.
To be fair, DMC first real bosses have always been tough. Weirdly enough. I think DMC3 actually had the best curve with Cerberus being after a mini boss of some sort.
I've seen a lot of people die to that miniboss quite a bit, and I think it's great that it's there. Also that mission is just pure fun with all those dudes to hack at.

He is a pretty good starting character. He's definitely a simple to use character (though with his own level of depth to his combat mechanics), but I just think the overall mechanics of DMC can be confusing by jumping straight into 4. It has a much different speed than anything by Platinum and going right into the most complex DMC game can throw off people.

On my first playthrough of each game, I thought Phantom 1 is still the hardest DMC boss I've fought. Vergil 3 is probably second. Though I still haven't got deep into 4 yet so I can't say for sure.

Ilvocare

This fucking library fillled with hundreds of mystic books that no one has read in ages...

...and the only way to unlock the door is to burn them.

What the god-damn fuck...?

Berial was awesome. When I saw him I knew I was in for something special. DMC bosses are so awesome with each having three different types of attack patterns that they transition to without a cutscene. Like I know DmC has already gotten a shitton of flak and I'm beating a dead horse here and that there are some people who legitimately like its aesthetics over the OG series but holy shit why are its bosses so fucking terrible coming off of a series that had Vergil, Credo and the DIO horse? Goddamn bad N64 platformer bosses is what they basically were.

Ilvocare

"When it comes to studying and eating, I have no chance against your hunger for knowledge...
and hamburgers.

This fucking localization... Isn't this an abbey? What are they doing eating
All-American(TM) hamburgers
in this swords-and-sorcery fantasy kingdom???

Top Bottom