• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah.

So?

Because we want the community to expand past what it is now? The mod crackdown hurt the thread pretty bad (although it wasn't undeserved). If we want to try a new thread in Gaming and get some new people, maybe it'd be a good idea to put the in-jokes and references away for a while. Especially if we're trying to get new people into the Best Friends (which would be great not just for our community but for the Zaibatsu too).

Because we want the community to expand past what it is now? The mod crackdown hurt the thread pretty bad (although it wasn't undeserved). If we want to try a new thread in Gaming and get some new people, maybe it'd be a good idea to put the in-jokes and references away for a while. Especially if we're trying to get new people into the Best Friends (which would be great not just for our community but for the Zaibatsu too).

After the completely deserving mod crackdown the thread community did get hit hard. We've definitely lost more than we gained back, but the thread did need to be stopped before we completed our goal of complete NeoGAF saturation.
I wouldn't mind a bigger community to talk about the videos and podcast with. I feel like our
rare
on topic discussions did get hurt a bit when we lost people.

Though would it even be possible for us to get a new thread in gaming? I mean we were the reason we got the Giant Bomb thread moved to community as well. I can't see it happening, unless we've been told otherwise?

It's okay, we can survive together my fellow fuckfacers

Also Matt said on the podcast he was called out about cooking? Does this mean more Arts & Doods at some point? I really would like more Foods & Crafts. Or live sketches in general. And do we have any idea on the solo project Woolie is doing? I hope it is something like Matt's where he plays a game that he tested (and liked). Would make for an informative LP.
Because only garbage should be played on Week of Woolie!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
After the completely deserving mod crackdown the thread community did get hit hard. We've definitely lost more than we gained back, but the thread did need to be stopped before we completed our goal of complete NeoGAF saturation.
I wouldn't mind a bigger community to talk about the videos and podcast with. I feel like our
rare
on topic discussions did get hurt a bit when we lost people.

Though would it even be possible for us to get a new thread in gaming? I mean we were the reason we got the Giant Bomb thread moved to community as well. I can't see it happening, unless we've been told otherwise?

It's okay, we can survive together my fellow fuckfacers

I think someone in here brought up the idea of rebooting the thread and starting a new one in Gaming as a way to try to revive the community. We'd need mod permission for that though, of course.

Yeah I was one of the people that brought it up, obviously we would need permission otherwise it would get shut down immediately. I can ask a mod whether it'd be okay but I'll let someone else make the thread as I'm awful at that. Either way we still have a ways to go until we reach 20k so no rush.

I do think we have a valid reason for rebooting the community though, I think there's tons of people that used to contribute to discussions that have left us and never looked back(I can't blame them obviously) that don't know the thread has changed. Having the new thread be in gaming for 1-2 weeks could help them become aware of that fact so they have a place on gaf to talk about SBFP again.

Heck, even the Zaibatsu doesn't bother checking the thread anymore :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah I was one of the people that brought it up, obviously we would need permission otherwise it would get shut down immediately. I can ask a mod whether it'd be okay but I'll let someone else make the thread as I'm awful at that. Either way we still have a ways to go until we reach 20k so no rush.

I do think we have a valid reason for rebooting the community though, I think there's tons of people that used to contribute to discussions that have left us and never looked back(I can't blame them obviously) that don't know the thread has changed. Having the new thread be in gaming for 1-2 weeks could help them become aware of that fact so they have a place on gaf to talk about SBFP again.

Heck, even the Zaibatsu doesn't bother checking the thread anymore :(

I think we'd have to demonstrate to the mods that we're not the same community that we were at the beginning of the thread. The obvious worry would be that we'd eventually relapse back into the old behaviors, but, and I really hate to say this because I don't personally have anything against them, the few members that were largely responsible for that behavior aren't here anymore. I think those of us that stuck around after the threadpocalypse have "learned our lesson", so to speak.

At the end of the day, it's up to the mods to give us a second chance, but I do think it's worth a shot.

Whats up, F
rend
ers?

Oh boy, that awkward moment on the podcast after Matt got talked over. Fair enough that Liam made a joke but Pat could have just laughed instead of stopping the group to explain why the joke was funny.

Been catching up and boy do I love ride to hell's physics. Seems like it's caused by the body part that gets hit staying in place for a moment afterwards

RecklessComplexIsabellinewheatear.gif

DisastrousHeartyBighorn.gif

Second gif's url strangely appropriate

Man, I wonder when the hell this Super Best Friends Drift was recorded, because the Fire TV has been doing pretty well. Sure, it's mostly a media box and not a game console, but it's still selling.

If you're making a Super Mario Kart clone in 2015, at least manage to have it play as well as that did. If this game released at the same time as SMK did(and let's say both sets of characters are equally popular) it wouldn't be impressing anyone.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I really hope the Kamen Rider game they bought at Momocon is Super Climax Heroes and it shows up on FNF eventually. For a licensed 3D fighter that game's got some stuff going on.

Based on the podcast, it sounds like it'll be J-Stars?

"I'll take this guy from that show I gave up on"
"Then I'll take this other guy from that other show I never tried"
"Guess I'll take Bobobobobobobobo"
"Nobody else is going to pick Naruto, are they?"

I'd like to see them try and play one of the Touhou fighting games just for fun
Still more likely than Ultimax

RedBoot

"I'll take this guy from that show I gave up on"
"Then I'll take this other guy from that other show I never tried"
"Guess I'll take Bobobobobobobobo"
"Nobody else is going to pick Naruto, are they?"

I'd like to see them try and play one of the Touhou fighting games just for fun
Still more likely than Ultimax

Oh yeah, I think Pat said he gave Gintama a try like ten podcasts back. I love that show now, but it took me a good 20 episodes to get there.

I've only been playing the story mode in J-Stars, so I don't know what kind of versus modes it has, but I'd think doing 1 on 1 (with strikers) would be better than 2 on 2 with the AI Partners.

Oh yeah, I think Pat said he gave Gintama a try like ten podcasts back. I love that show now, but it took me a good 20 episodes to get there.

I've only been playing the story mode in J-Stars, so I don't know what kind of versus modes it has, but I'd think doing 1 on 1 (with strikers) would be better than 2 on 2 with the AI Partners.

I think the problem people have with Gintama is the early episodes, same as the current season now, where the content is there but the studio is getting into their rhythm so it doesn't come across to the viewer. Also the fact that the first episode listed on crunchyroll assumes you know the franchise before the show 'starts' really turned me off before I started binge watching it

Didn't know there was a 2v2 mode for j-stars, but I agree that strikers would be better.

Speaking of crunchyroll, just show this article on their site that beserk is rumored to be returning?

Podcast was great, glad they talked about anime again since it's been a million years, don't think I caught a single one's name though, besides dbz but I have to wait for the dub on that.
BTW, what's with Liam and dbz? Is Battle of Gods intense quality not enough to get hype for the new series alone?

but ultimax

Eh, Woolie, and especially Pat are far too scrubby by now to do the game justice anyway.
If they had done an FnF right when they were both practiced up, that would have been hype.

I think we'd have to demonstrate to the mods that we're not the same community that we were at the beginning of the thread. The obvious worry would be that we'd eventually relapse back into the old behaviors, but, and I really hate to say this because I don't personally have anything against them, the few members that were largely responsible for that behavior aren't here anymore. I think those of us that stuck around after the threadpocalypse have "learned our lesson", so to speak.

At the end of the day, it's up to the mods to give us a second chance, but I do think it's worth a shot.

All it takes is for the SBF to mention Zone again and this house of cards comes tumbling down.

Been catching up and boy do I love ride to hell's physics. Seems like it's caused by the body part that gets hit staying in place for a moment afterwards

RecklessComplexIsabellinewheatear.gif

DisastrousHeartyBighorn.gif

Second gif's url strangely appropriate

I bet some of the devs saw shit like this and just said "fuck I'm not fixing that, at least it looks funny if anyone notices".

Only read a few Animorphs books so my memory is super disjointed, but the thing that sticks the most with me is them needing to get some Rhino DNA because it's the only animal they could think of that could survive gunfire for a little bit. Then they proceed to get it from a zoo or something and break into a house because reasons while murdering guys and being almost shot to death.

I think I remember most of the books getting dark somehow. At least darker than what a normal ten year old or younger knew about.

Here's some choice things I copy pasted from TheKamenWriter on the reddit. Animorph spoilers ahoy.

-Heavy existential angst featuring a guy trapped in a Hawk's body
-The main ally aliens where giant blue centaurs with fucking scythe tails who regard all different species as literal garbage.
-The antagonists where mind-taker slugs. You know your parents? They're Yeerks. Your teachers? They're Yeerks. Your friends? They're all Yeerks. They want to put a Yeerk in you so you're a Yeerk. Have fun sleeping, seven-year-old.
-Grisly murder everywhere.
-David, the animorph they tried recruiting mid-way through, who then tried to betray them. They trapped him in rat form and abandoned him to die on a rock in the middle of the ocean. That story sticks with me.
-The Animorphs go from being innocent children to being war-hardened veterans willing to throw human lives away to destroy their enemy completely.
-Rachel dies. Rachel dies SUPER hard, causing Tobias (The Hawk-man) to renounce humanity and abandon his friends.
-Towards the end, they give the transformation matrix to a home for disabled children, recruit them with promises of being whole again as animals - and then throw them into combat with Yeerk forces, where they are completely slaughtered.
-The series ends on a cliffhanger where the team is suicide-bombing a Yeerk mother ship.

An alright comparison besides the fact you kind of at least know Hunger Games is about kids fighting to the death. Animorphs features a dumb kid on the cover transforming. I know I didn't expect the kind of bullshit that happens in that series based off the cover and it being fucking scholastic and marketed to kids under 10 years old.

Oh god the nostalgia flood XD Those kids went through some crazy shit.... And did some crazy shit to the bad guys 0_0 I got to give it to Applegate, she really know how to come up with colourful description for violence. And kids get to learn all about animal facts too!

(I've also read some of her other books like Everworld and Remnant... There's a lot of sex stuff in Everworld I could tell you that @_@)

LTTP but if none of them read Animorphs, where does all the salt come from? Just because of the publication?

Skrams

Woolie's description and wrong title of Blood Blockade Battlefront/Kekkai Sensen on the podcast was pretty shit. I don't know how he wittled it down to big tough guys who punch shit on the podcast when the first episode and the fighting in general isn't really punching at all. I think most people should give it a spin because that first episode is a good first episode and it's a super stylish show in general. I guess I also shouldn't be surprised at Woolie hating Danmachi because generic fantasy or something. I'm with Liam in thinking it's a fun show, but not much more. I guess I'll also give GATE a watch. Woolie liking Gangsta is obvious as all hell since it's aimed exactly towards him. Kind of wish it clicked with me more, but I need more of anything for me to feel more invested I think.

I'd like Liam to talk about anime roundups again. I assume he gets a ton of shit on 4chan or something for not watching certain shows each season. I forget the tipping point that made him get more quiet about it.

Edit- Woolie conveniently left out the part of GATE where the main character is an otaku and is crying over the gate between the worlds opening since it canceled some fake comiket and his doujinshi bullshit. Blahblah you think there will be catgirls in the other world? Also looks like there will be plenty of waifus going off the OP.

Watched T1 and T2

T1 was pretty good

T2 was amazing

I'm going to pretend the series ended there
That's the way to go.
Or until Liam watches Monster Musume.

He's already watching it going off a post from the reddit. He's probably read it too.
Cerea da best.

LTTP but if none of them read Animorphs, where does all the salt come from? Just because of the publication?

I think it was mostly emanating from Woolie due to regular Mystery Box salt, infogrames, shitty book covers, and some beef against scholastic because of his inability to read.

I think it was mostly emanating from Woolie due to regular Mystery Box salt, infogrames, shitty book covers, and some beef against scholastic because of his inability to read.

It's a shame though, Animorphs was really cool (or at least my 12 year old self thinks so), I put it up there with Harry Potter for me as childhood/teenage books influence.

I had no idea there was even a game lol, but I did know there was a live action TV series (didn't get far)

Everyone talking over everyone on the Friendcast is starting to become unbearable. I know the Zaibatsu aren't pros at this podcasting stuff but with the kind of microphone they have and the rooms they typically record in, it is imperative that they don't talk over each other (or raise their voice to a certain threshold). I might just post about this on the subreddit in hopes that they read this.

joe2187

Banned
Everyone talking over everyone on the Friendcast is starting to become unbearable. I know the Zaibatsu aren't pros at this podcasting stuff but with the kind of microphone they have and the rooms they typically record in, it is imperative that they don't talk over each other (or raise their voice to a certain threshold). I might just post about this on the subreddit in hopes that they read this.

I dont think it's been that big of a problem really.

This episode was full of it because that's what they were going for.

Now listening to the sleepycast however, those guys talk overthemselves every five seconds.

Finally watching the latest Ride to Hell and Jedi Master Quan Chi is the best, even though I knew about it ahead of time.

Also, why are they trying to record off a PSP instead of using PPSSPP?

RedBoot

(I've also read some of her other books like Everworld and Remnant... There's a lot of sex stuff in Everworld I could tell you that @_@)

I only got about four books into Everworld, so I don't remember any of that (or much of Everworld in general). Maybe I stopped too soon. :p

But yeah, after watching that mystery box, I realized I remembered a lot more about Animorphs than I thought I did. The android who became a pacifist because he could never forget the moments when he killed people was pretty brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom