• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 17: I don't have Bloodborne or Monster Hunter... Uhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a book series around the same level of Hunger Games, it's got interesting points and can be enjoyed by people outside it's target demographic. A theme of the series is that war is not a very place to grow up in.

Mystery Box - Episode #015
youtube

Website

tumblr_inline_ndqc17q6TM1sqqavy.jpg

Man, that's the saltiest Woolie's been in a long time.

But hey, if you really want to be pissed off, read the last Animorphs book.
A whole new villain comes out of fucking nowhere and it ends right before a bunch of characters kamikaze into a spaceship.

Archgan

Man, that's the saltiest Woolie's been in a long time.

But hey, if you really want to be pissed off, read the last Animorphs book.
A whole new villain comes out of fucking nowhere and it ends right before a bunch of characters kamikaze into a spaceship.
I remember liking the books when I was younger, but stopping somewhere in the 30's or 40's. Then a couple of years later I picked up the last one from the library to see how it ended and I remember being really confused.

I had a random assortment of Animorphs books in my grade school. I remember enjoying the whole "everyone you know could be controlled by brain slugs right this second".

Depending on how recent that was, it may or may not get mentioned in this week's podcast. But it should. Sounds amazing as hell.

But then Raiden won't be in MGR anymore!
I am super okay with this, and would be even more okay with it if we could somehow mod Psycho Mantis in to replace Monsoon.

Skrams

Only read a few Animorphs books so my memory is super disjointed, but the thing that sticks the most with me is them needing to get some Rhino DNA because it's the only animal they could think of that could survive gunfire for a little bit. Then they proceed to get it from a zoo or something and break into a house because reasons while murdering guys and being almost shot to death.

LMAO Woolie's rage quit

I remember animorphs getting real dark towards the end

I think I remember most of the books getting dark somehow. At least darker than what a normal ten year old or younger knew about.

Here's some choice things I copy pasted from TheKamenWriter on the reddit. Animorph spoilers ahoy.

-Heavy existential angst featuring a guy trapped in a Hawk's body
-The main ally aliens where giant blue centaurs with fucking scythe tails who regard all different species as literal garbage.
-The antagonists where mind-taker slugs. You know your parents? They're Yeerks. Your teachers? They're Yeerks. Your friends? They're all Yeerks. They want to put a Yeerk in you so you're a Yeerk. Have fun sleeping, seven-year-old.
-Grisly murder everywhere.
-David, the animorph they tried recruiting mid-way through, who then tried to betray them. They trapped him in rat form and abandoned him to die on a rock in the middle of the ocean. That story sticks with me.
-The Animorphs go from being innocent children to being war-hardened veterans willing to throw human lives away to destroy their enemy completely.
-Rachel dies. Rachel dies SUPER hard, causing Tobias (The Hawk-man) to renounce humanity and abandon his friends.
-Towards the end, they give the transformation matrix to a home for disabled children, recruit them with promises of being whole again as animals - and then throw them into combat with Yeerk forces, where they are completely slaughtered.
-The series ends on a cliffhanger where the team is suicide-bombing a Yeerk mother ship.

It's a book series around the same level of Hunger Games, it's got interesting points and can be enjoyed by people outside it's target demographic. A theme of the series is that war is not a very place to grow up in.

An alright comparison besides the fact you kind of at least know Hunger Games is about kids fighting to the death. Animorphs features a dumb kid on the cover transforming. I know I didn't expect the kind of bullshit that happens in that series based off the cover and it being fucking scholastic and marketed to kids under 10 years old.

-The series ends on a cliffhanger where the team is suicide-bombing a Yeerk mother ship.
It wasn't a yeerk ship, it was... well it was basically a borg ship and there alien friend Ax had been taken over by them and leading said ship. At least that's what I read on the wiki a while back, since I never did get around to finishing the series proper(i could only buy so many and the local library seemed lacking in the later books).

It wasn't a yeerk ship, it was... well it was basically a borg ship and there alien friend Ax had been taken over by them and leading said ship. At least that's what I read on the wiki a while back, since I never did get around to finishing the series proper(i could only buy so many and the local library seemed lacking in the later books).
That's literally all there is to that subplot. It comes out of nowhere and seems to only exist because K.A. Applegate wanted to get out of Animorphs and move on to something new... which was a series about a spaceship leaving Earth before an asteroid hit and the survivors dealing with horrible shit on an alien planet.

Skrams

Kinda off the side but did they ever do a what's coming out in july video?

Nope. I completely forgot that was a thing still. Someone really needs to set up a reminder for them to do that shit. They seem like they're going to keep eating shit super hard on this stuff.

So during Woolie's summary of anime binge watching, it made me look up the first episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Suddenly those pictures on pixiv of Goku driving a tractor make a ton of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom