• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but if I was stuck on consoles, I would be a real skeleton if I played it.

Dragon's Dogma gave me the most powerful migraines I have ever had.

I hate Black Bars in Games.. It's so dumb. I could stand Dragon's Dogma's Black Bars.. but any game else.. nah. That's why I think The Order is going to be super disappointing.

Really?? It's not even that bad. I forgot they existed like 15 minutes into the game.

I would probably be the same way if I played the game. You can remove them, but it'll mess up some on screen prompts. Bethesda is patching that, I believe.
I physically can't handle low FoV.
Even in third person games? I can't play first person if the FoV isn't at least at 70, but third person is usually not as bad.

kewlmyc

Watched the first episode of Eva. Man, Pat was right, everyone is so unreasonable.

Hahaha, HAHAHAHA. Finish the whole series, plus End of Evangelion. You don't know the full definition of "unlikable" yet.

Also Asuka was one of the most unlikable people in the cast, so it's funny how Pat says she's one of the highlights. I guess it's because of the orange hair.

mashiroswitch.gif

That .gif is giving me the vapors.

I would probably be the same way if I played the game. You can remove them, but it'll mess up some on screen prompts. Bethesda is patching that, I believe.

Even in third person games? I can't play first person if the FoV isn't at least at 70, but third person is usually not as bad.

Are they patching it for consoles too or just PC?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Hahaha, HAHAHAHA. Finish the whole series, plus End of Evangelion. You don't know the full definition of "unlikable" yet.

Also Asuka was one of the most unlikable people in the cast, so it's funny how Pat says she's one of the highlights. I guess it's because of the orange hair.
I'll watch the second episode with my friend who is the biggest fan of Eva I know just so I can complain my gripes to him.

I need some quick opinions for doing an LP with a friend.

Either:
  • I'd play Majora Mask blind and he guides me
  • He plays Wonderful 101 and I coach him
  • We both do FFXIII blind
  • Paper Mario cause it's fun.

If the FoV is as bad as what Dark10x is saying, yeah, I can't do it. I can handle third games, with bad FoV better though.
It's probably a lot worse on PC then because on consoles I barely notice it.
It's a developer thing. I remember the FoV of Metro giving me a grave headache, before I adjusted it.

Either:

Do Majora, that way I can watch and learn from your mistakes when I start my Majora's LP.

If you do 101 I can't watch.

FF13 is long as shit and might be hard.

I started a Paper Mario LP, it's kinda repetitive and hard to continue talking over, though that might have been my friend's ambivalence towards the game and recording.

croten

Either:

Majora mask because it's the best Zelda game.
Aside from Okami

Alfebit

Banned

Either:

Hmm, Wonderful 101 would probably be hard to talk over so go with Majora.

ultimax

At chapter 2 of TEW on PC right now. 30fps, low FOV, black bars and a somewhat unresponsive character take some time to get used to. Still, I kinda like it so far.
Lighting is really good, by the way. Don't know what it looks like on consoles.
I played the first 2 chapters on ps4 yesterday and I think it looks pretty good. I never tried PC gaming tho
i own a Mac :'(
so I wouldn't know shit about nice graphics and whatnot

If you do Wonderful 101, live commentary as you play it probably wouldn't be wise because of the amount of attention required to do well. Though there'd be no problem if you went with Majora or Paper Mario given it's not as fast.

Stay away from FFXIII, though.

I played the first 2 chapters on ps4 yesterday and I think it looks pretty good. I never tried PC gaming tho
i own a Mac :'(
so I wouldn't know shit about nice graphics and whatnot
It's identical, asides that Pc can force higher framerates, and better resolutions and AA.

Either:

If you think your commentary can carry the LP then go with Paper Mario. If not then Majora would be better.

Sounds like the safest thing to do is Majora's. Thanks a ton for the suggestions!
You should do a shorter game first to see if you like it.
Maybe we could do a quick run of Star Fox 64, partly just to test the gear, that wouldn't be a bad idea.
If you think your commentary can carry the LP then go with Paper Mario. If not then Majora would be better.
That is what I'm worried about, so maybe I'm better taking the safer option

Maybe we could do a quick run of Star Fox 64, partly just to test the gear, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

You should record first parts of like, five different LPs in five different genres that you don't intend to publish, just so you have an idea of what types of games you do well with. It can be surprisingly hard to talk over some games.

At chapter 2 of TEW on PC right now. 30fps, low FOV, black bars and a somewhat unresponsive character take some time to get used to. Still, I kinda like it so far.
Lighting is really good, by the way. Don't know what it looks like on consoles.

Looks great on ps4. Don't know how much that helps because none of the technical issues bother me at all.

You should record first parts of like, five different LPs in five different genres that you don't intend to publish, just so you have an idea of what types of games you do well with. It can be surprisingly hard to talk over some games.
I've done some solo stuff that's not published and have a bit of a feel for it, but that's good advice. I dunno how the two of us would work together yet.

I would actually like to do a good amount of cuts and editing when we do publish something in a genre with lots of downtime though, nothing like a Best Friends Machinima video, but cutting out boring sidequests or some random battles in an RPG.
835.jpg

I thought I'd share this. :lol
That's adorable.

I appreciate Snake X Anyone, but there's just something great about Mac and Samus.

I would actually like to do a good amount of cuts and editing when we do publish something in a genera with lots of downtime though, nothing like a Best Friends Machinima video, but cutting out boring sidequests or some random battles in an RPG.

I've tried doing some of that stuff, it can be hard than you think. If you plan to do it and not have it interrupt jokes or ruin flow, then post commentary is best, but it's way less fun to do and is less natural. But if you do edits make sure to call them out so you have an easy place to cut instead of having a conversation going then either sitting there until it ends or just cutting it off.

Xiraiya

I'm waiting for the moment Nintendo brings everything full circle where we get a somewhat futuristic Zelda game that ends up basically implying Samus has descended from Link and Zelda.

I'm waiting for the moment Nintendo brings everything full circle where we get a somewhat futuristic Zelda game that ends up basically implying Samus has descended from Link and Zelda.

I think it'd be sick if Nintendo just started fucking around with their franchise's continuity and just started having crossover games all over the place

croten

The Zelda lore is inconsistent enough without being tied to Metroid

I'm still waiting for the Nintendo Dating Sim. Link is a delinquent, Peach is the Student Council President, Miyamoto is the principle, Mario is the gym teacher, Samus is all tsun-stun about the baby.

Same sex options and boy-girl choice. GOTY.

I've tried doing some of that stuff, it can be hard than you think. If you plan to do it and not have it interrupt jokes or ruin flow, then post commentary is best, but it's way less fun to do and is less natural. But if you do edits make sure to call them out so you have an easy place to cut instead of having a conversation going then either sitting there until it ends or just cutting it off.
Definitely. I don't think doing Post would work, but calling out edits is basically a given. Plus, I don't mind listening to the whole thing to find places to cut either.

I know a lot of the details of LPs only become clear after you've done enough to get some practice in. I'm hoping we get a good reptitoire going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom