• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
sJFjMBG.gif

she doesn't respond

edit:
she responded!

GO OBERON!.

Don't mean to retread on the topic of books, but is it just me or are people especially critical to female oriented YA fiction? Just look at all the hate over Twilight and that one book with the two teen lovers with cancer. Just feels disproportionate when there are countless other works of fiction out there.

Also, I never read 50 shades but seems people hate it for being popular.
It's reactionary. Young females freak out about it, builds in popularity, teens react to that popularity, everyone else checks it out due to popularity.

Anything that becomes popular is this way, the excessive hate is part of that initial reaction, as well as all the people impressed by the low quality work becoming popular.

I wish more people were okay with other people liking bad things. I just wish the people enjoying the bad things could admit they were bad and see what was wrong about them.

The girl I am trying to ask out ( I didn't do it yet though)

Please everyone! Give me your energie!

*raises hands to the heavens*

If it gets woman hit and heavy down there then what's the problem? Maledom is a fetish too.

Right. I get that. I'm a feminist who wants women to have choices.
But 50 shades in particular has no ESRB rating system telling young women and men that this isn't suitable for children.

50 shades promotes that type of relationship as socially acceptable and normal. If you call yourself a feminist you wouldn't be ok with a book that promotes domestic/sexual abuse and promotes Maledom as the only kind of relationship fetish one should have.
I don't see any other books as mainstream and popular as this one talking about the same themes.

It's reactionary. Young females freak out about it, builds in popularity, teens react to that popularity, everyone else checks it out due to popularity.

Anything that becomes popular is this way, the excessive hate is part of that initial reaction, as well as all the people impressed by the low quality work becoming popular.

More like: sexually conservative adults freak out, teens and 20-something's get curious, the book becomes a runaway hit.

Right. I get that. I'm a feminist who wants women to have choices.
But 50 shades in particular has no ESRB rating system telling young women and men that this isn't suitable for children.

50 shades promotes that type of relationship as socially acceptable and normal. If you call yourself a feminist you wouldn't be ok with a book that promotes domestic/sexual abuse and promotes Maledom as the only kind of relationship fetish one should have.
I don't see any other books as mainstream and popular as this one talking about the same themes.

Dok, I don't think little girls are going to willingly read adult erotica.

And I don't think that book is promoting a type of relationship any more than some weird Japanese twincest doujin. You're reading too much on the implications of this one erotic novel being popular. Plus I'm sure there some feminists who don't see it as promoting some harmful relationships just because it got popular.

Oberon

Banned
We're talking about clothing right now, I have to find the good moment to ask her!

Just sent me a photo of her wearing her new clothes, help!

We're talking about clothing right now, I have to find the good moment to ask her!

Ask her out?

"You know I've been meaning to get a new outfit, would you want to help me pick out some clothes?" Something like that.

croten

Show her a pic of your dick wearing a top hat as thanks

I don''t have a girlfriend, can you tell?

Oberon

Banned
Just made I compliment, wait for answer, then ask her if she likes horror film, then ask her out to see Anabelle with me!
I can do It

Dok, I don't think little girls are going to willingly read adult erotica.

And I don't think that book is promoting a type of relationship any more than some weird Japanese twincest doujin. You're reading too much on the implications of this one erotic novel being popular. Plus I'm sure there some feminists who don't see it as promoting some harmful relationships just because it got popular.

Little girls/ teens read Twilight. 50 shades exist because of fan fiction that came out of the Twilight universe. Those same Twilight fans do read book blogs and erotica.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey

The Fifty Shades trilogy was developed from a Twilight fan fiction series originally titled Master of the Universe and published episodically on fan-fiction websites under the pen name "Snowqueen's Icedragon". The piece featured characters named after Stephenie Meyer's characters in Twilight, Edward Cullen and Bella Swan. After comments concerning the sexual nature of the material, James removed the story from the fan-fiction websites and published it on her own website, FiftyShades.com. Later she rewrote Master of the Universe as an original piece, with the principal characters renamed Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele and removed it from her website before publication.[10] Meyer commented on the series, saying "that's really not my genre, not my thing... Good on her—she's doing well. That's great!"[11]

This reworked and extended version of Master of the Universe was split into three parts. The first, titled Fifty Shades of Grey, was released as an e-book and a print on demand paperback in May 2011 by The Writers' Coffee Shop, a virtual publisher based in Australia. The second volume, Fifty Shades Darker, was released in September 2011; and the third, Fifty Shades Freed, followed in January 2012. The Writers' Coffee Shop had a restricted marketing budget and relied largely on book blogs for early publicity, but sales of the novel were boosted by word-of-mouth recommendation.

EL James isn't only unoriginal, she stole someone else's work and claimed it as her own.

I won't speak for other feminists because I can't and shouldn't, but the premise itself is based around the idea that Ana chose to be with Grey by signing that contract to fulfill her own sexual fantasies, but Grey emotionally manipulates Ana into thinking their relationship is normal and healthy.

Okingjrr

Just made I compliment, wait for answer, then ask her if she likes horror film, then ask her out to see Anabelle with me!
I can do It

If you're going the movie route, I suggest you plan a lunch or dinner before or after the movie.

IIf she doesn't like horror movies, it's probably a little risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom