• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who decided she didn't like how Transistor plays versus Bastion, so now she decided to watch a Longplay rather than play the game.

It's going to be total nonsense and boring, and I'm getting really buttmad about it.

I have a friend who decided she didn't like how Transistor plays versus Bastion, so now she decided to watch a Longplay rather than play the game.

It's going to be total nonsense and boring, and I'm getting really buttmad about it.

881344446_quitgettingmad.jpg

croten

I never liked the way Bastion played

The story doesn't make any sense unless you play it though! And it's gonna be more boring to watch somebody else play it than to play it herself.

I should just let it go, but now she's texting me question about the story asking me to explain, when my answer is play the gatdamn game.
I never liked the way Bastion played
I don't either, Transistor actually improved it way more for me, since it's just Vagrant Story.

... am I the only person here who likes Bastian more than anything Transistor has shown?
My friend agrees with you, lol.

The gameplay system in Transistor is everything. Bastion I enjoyed everything but the core gameplay, Transistor was fucking radical to play, and everything else supported that.

... am I the only person here who likes Bastian more than anything Transistor has shown?

I haven't played enough of transistor to say. But I like the customization options and atmosphere more in transistor.

Like Woolie though, I enjoy the cyberpunk/futuristic setting a lot more than fantasy.

My friend agrees with you, lol.

The gameplay system in Transistor is everything. Bastion I enjoyed everything but the core gameplay, Transistor was fucking radical to play, and everything else supported that.

I haven't played enough of transistor to say. But I like the customization options and atmosphere more in transistor.

Like Woolie though, I enjoy the cyberpunk/futuristic setting a lot more than fantasy.

Bastion combat seems like a huge love it or hate it kind of thing.

It's that narrator and the world unfold as you walk across tiles, plus the art-style and music that just hit my personal gaming sweet spot.

I could replay Bastian over and over again and not get sick of looking at the game. It's so pretty.

croten

It's that narrator and the world unfold as you walk across tiles, plus the art-style and music that just hit my personal gaming sweet spot.

I could replay Bastian over and over again and not get sick of looking at the game. It's so pretty.

The visuals, story, music and narrator are fantastic but damn if that gameplay just kills my boner. it's just so boring

demidar

It does. Transistor is more about planning your moves ahead of time, while Bastion is more action focused. I really like both personally, but they're way different.

My opinion is that Transistor suffers from a lack of balance between the planning phase and the real-time phase (note I played on Hard so this probably isn't a problem on Normal). There is not enough to do during the real-time phase, especially when you're recovering. All you can do is run away to not get wrecked. On the flip side, the planning phase is where all the fun comes in (obviously). This leads to a fast alternation of fun and not-fun (because there's not much to do except running away/hiding behind boxes which isn't that difficult) which is bad, ideally you want a flow of fun and less-fun-but-still-fun.

The reason why running away sucks so bad is because enemies have hitscan weapons. Imagine playing Doom (the OG Doom) except every enemy has hitscan shots instead of slow moving projectiles. Not fun is it? That's pretty much what Modern Warfare's campaign is like, a quick alternation between fun (shooting dudes) and not-fun (cowering behind a wall doing nothing so you can regenerate your bullet wounds like a Wolverine). If projectiles were something you can dodge, there would be depth (and fun) during the AP recovery period by dodging enemy attacks, much like a shmup, where you balance safety (by being away from enemies) against better but more dangerous positioning (not having to spend AP to walk closer during planning so you can attack more as a reward).

My opinion is that Transistor suffers from a lack of balance between the planning phase and the real-time phase (note I played on Hard so this probably isn't a problem on Normal). There is not enough to do during the real-time phase, especially when you're recovering. All you can do is run away to not get wrecked. On the flip side, the planning phase is where all the fun comes in (obviously). This leads to a fast alternation of fun and not-fun (because there's not much to do except run away which isn't that difficult) which is bad, ideally you want a flow of fun and less-fun-but-still-fun.

The reason why running away sucks so bad is because enemies have hitscan weapons. Imagine playing Doom (the OG Doom) except every enemy has hitscan shots instead of slow moving projectiles. Not fun is it? That's pretty much what Modern Warfare's campaign is like, a quick alternation between fun (shooting dudes) and not-fun (cowering behind a wall doing nothing so you can regenerate your bullet wounds like a Wolverine). If projectiles were something you can dodge, there would be depth (and fun) during the AP recovery period by dodging enemy attacks, much like a shmup.

You have the dodge move and stealth move you can totally build to make realtime fun and more strategic.

I would rather you not burden yourself
It's not a burden.

If you are going to go motionjoy, keep that shit in a sandbox, and make sure you check your drivers constantly, and make sure it doesn't break USB compatibility. Like I said before, motionjoy made the insanely simple task of installing a mouse take hours.

My opinion is that Transistor suffers from a lack of balance between the planning phase and the real-time phase (note I played on Hard so this probably isn't a problem on Normal). There is not enough to do during the real-time phase, especially when you're recovering. All you can do is run away to not get wrecked. On the flip side, the planning phase is where all the fun comes in (obviously). This leads to a fast alternation of fun and not-fun (because there's not much to do except run away which isn't that difficult) which is bad, ideally you want a flow of fun and less-fun-but-still-fun.

The reason why running away sucks so bad is because enemies have hitscan weapons. Imagine playing Doom (the OG Doom) except every enemy has hitscan shots instead of slow moving projectiles. Not fun is it? That's pretty much what Modern Warfare's campaign is like, a quick alternation between fun (shooting dudes) and not-fun (cowering behind a wall doing nothing so you can regenerate your bullet wounds like a Wolverine). If projectiles were something you can dodge, there would be depth (and fun) during the AP recovery period by dodging enemy attacks, much like a shmup.

I don't really mind the real time phase. I also didn't find it easy because enemies can still find you easily and it builds tension while you wait for the planning phase to come back. Especially when you have to plan around building an attack to hit and then using the rest of your planning time to escape behind a wall. But the flexibility of the skills allows you to fight in multiple ways. You don't always have to run away if you charm the bigger enemy to fight the little ones. And you can also set up decoys to distract your enemies while you wait for planing time.

The game is a lot more flexible than just strictly plan -> hit -> run -> repeat step 1. Even though that isn't a bad plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom