• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a magnificent story/lore that i'll find some time to read.
http://youtu.be/FevK2D9MsBM?t=19m55s
That was me
To jump onto the LEWD bandwagon

I have no problem with the idea of twincest either, seems more "natural" than any other kind of incest since you'd be the exact same age growing up together so it's like *shrugs*, they'd be equals and "incest" being wrong is a human construct anyway as it is incredibly common in the wild/nature

ie. anything that two people do that's consensual and not hurting anyone is their business

Yeah that is pretty much my feelings as well. I also agree with Xiraiya, I get the logic behind it, spending literally your entire life with someone is going to form some bonds, one type or another.

Watching the latest TEW and just got to Matt's complaints about Sebastian not being a cool guy like RE4 Leon or Wolfenstein's Doom Guy. It's like he forgot Leon was in Sebastian's position in RE2, or that RE1 is filled with Sebastians, too. Not all of them need to be tortured souls, sometimes bad things happen to normal people.

Hardwired? It feels more like a societal stigma that makes people avoid it. Like there's tons of stories about cousins almost getting married and then breaking it off.

There's people who don't, but the societal stigma grew from the negative effects of inbreeding. Biological fitness of inbred offspring is shown to be lower, so it's not crazy to think natural selection would discourage it heavily, (even if it means people that just mentally decided to avoid it were just more likely to have their children survive and passed on that culture).

Man. I miss my biology classes. I should take one next semester.

Beloved

Basically, yeah. This goes for anything. Doesn't mean I can't actively dislike it in my entertainment media.

Humans are hardwired to avoid incest for reproductive reasons. We want a better gene pool.

What humans are "hardwired" to do becomes less and less relevant to what should be expected from modern humanity. We can create embryos in a lab, and we protect those that are born weaker or disabled, whereas animals that thrive on instinct are more than likely going to kill offspring that are weak/sick etc (and even if they didn't, they are unlikely to survive long regardless).

This is also partly why people's arguments about homosexuality being unnatural and saying "sex should be for reproduction" isn't a solid argument - our traditional reproduction is actually mostly unneeded. We could continue the human race without it. (and of course homesexuality in animals does exist, so it isn't unnatural to begin with). That and it can also be argued that homosexuality is a occurence in humans to help control overpopulation.

Anyway I digress.

Hardwired? It feels more like a societal stigma that makes people avoid it. Like there's tons of stories about cousins almost getting married and then breaking it off.

We actually are kind of designed to be attracted to non-family. If someone smells naturally good to you versus someone who smells naturally bad, this isn't including people who take poor care of themselves off course. Selector Infected WIXOSS has this for a subplot.

Zenfalcia

There's people who don't, but the societal stigma grew from the negative effects of inbreeding. Biological fitness of inbred offspring is shown to be lower, so it's not crazy to think natural selection would discourage it heavily, (even if it means people that just mentally decided to avoid it were just more likely to have their children survive and passed on that culture).

Man. I miss my biology classes. I should take one next semester.

Yeah, I should've mentioned the birth defects and stuff, since it does happen. The stigma is justified.

You don't have to take classes, just read up interesting facts online on a whim. There's tons of sites to provide that for you for free.

Happy birthday best game!

My house didn't burn down last night so that's a plus.

its-something.jpg

Beloved

I don't like the "hardwired" notion being applied to people because that's the kind of logic dudebros use for acting like complete fucking idiots around women.

Sorry but we've evolved past the need for all that nonsense and if someone's actions are based primarily on some ingrained Neanderthal instincts, perhaps their brains need to catch up with the evolution of the human race.

What humans are "hardwired" to do becomes less and less relevant to what should be expected from modern humanity. We can create embryos in a lab, and we protect those that are born weaker or disabled, whereas animals that thrive on instinct are more than likely going to kill offspring that are weak/sick etc (and even if they didn't, they are unlikely to survive long regardless).

This is also partly why people's arguments about homosexuality being unnatural and saying "sex should be for reproduction" isn't a solid argument - our traditional reproduction is actually mostly unneeded. We could continue the human race without it. (and of course homesexuality in animals does exist, so it isn't unnatural to begin with). That and it can also be argued that homosexuality is a occurence in humans to help control overpopulation.

Anyway I digress.
I'm more trying to be explanatory than trying to disagree with you on a moral level, that's my own personal hangup and it definitely shouldn't be forced onto anybody.

Inbreeding is the only reason that this is a touchy subject.
I don't like the "hardwired" notion being applied to people because that's the kind of logic dudebros use for acting like complete fucking idiots around women.

Sorry but we've evolved past the need for all that nonsense and if someone's actions are based primarily on some ingrained Neanderthal instincts, perhaps their brains need to catch up with the evolution of the human race.
Maybe I chose poor wording. My point is that the negative effects of inbreeding created a social stigma. As we become smarter and more technologically advanced we are actually stopping the idea of "evolution" and natural selection. The only thing we use to determine biological fitness today is sexual selection, since we reproduce with those deemed attractive by the people involved.

I'm not arguing what's right or wrong, it's just why things are this way. There's legitimate reasons.

Oberon

Banned

I'd like to add somthing, but I think it would make my situation worse, WAY worse.

You're that guy? I had no idea!

My house burned down once, it isn't fun seeing all you belongings transform into ashes. Thank God nobody got hurt
physicaly

Zenfalcia

We actually are kind of designed to be attracted to non-family. If someone smells naturally good to you versus someone who smells naturally bad, this isn't including people who take poor care of themselves off course. Selector Infected WIXOSS has this for a subplot.

It doesn't mean it doesn't happen from time to time, where they are attracted to their own family. Sub plot of incest?

Always look on the bright side of life.

Alfebit

Banned
Aren't you supposed to fall asleep after you eat the turkey?

My house burned down once, it isn't fun seeing all you belongings transform into ashes. Thank God nobody got hurt
physicaly

Yeah, I'm glad nothing got damaged. Sucks to hear that Oberon, I can't imagine how terrible that would be. I guess not enough cooks can spoil the broth as well.

physicaly
Goodness! That's awful. I'm glad to hear everyone was ok, that's the stuff you can't replace.
My Mom's boyfriend was cooking parts of one of the turkey we bought for the superior American Thanksgiving and then fell asleep. You can imagine how that worked out.
Good to hear nothing bad happened. I burnt some fries I was baking the other day because I just forgot. I didn't realize until I smelt them, since I didn't hear the timer. They were actually black all the way through.

Beloved

I'm more trying to be explanatory than trying to disagree with you on a moral level, that's my own personal hangup and it definitely shouldn't be forced onto anybody.

Inbreeding is the only reason that this is a touchy subject.

Maybe I chose poor wording. My point is that the negative effects of inbreeding created a social stigma. As we become smarter and more technologically advanced we are actually stopping the idea of "evolution" and natural selection. The only thing we use to determine biological fitness today is sexual selection, since we reproduce with those deemed attractive by the people involved.

I'm not arguing what's right or wrong, it's just why things are this way. There's legitimate reasons.

I know where you're coming from. But there is a difference between past traditions in history of long lines of inbreeding (especially since many of these relationships were "arranged", so even the notion of attracting a good "mate" is removed from the equation).

Things like genetic defects from inbreeding are extremely unlikely in a "one off" situation (where relatives have offspring but there is no history of incest before that).

So I guess what I'm saying is, hypothetically if twins had a bond that went beyond what is "socally acceptable", I wouldn't judge them whatsoever for it because they are doing no harm to themselves or anyone else.

However it's different if it is father/daughter and stuff like that because clearly there would be a power imbalance there that would get into the realm of abuse, even if the relationship didnt start until the daughter was "of age".

So yes inbreeding in the past created a stigma, but that's why I think anything "morally questionable" should be evaluated on a case by case basis, instead of a blanket statement that "THIS IS WRONG".

Basically, yeah. This goes for anything. Doesn't mean I can't actively dislike it in my entertainment media.

This for me, I hate that whenever I see siblings(brother/sister atleast) in anything Japanese related, I go 'ugh' because I expect them, at the very least, to have some incest moment/undertone.

Not Japanese, but I was really happy when I watched Gravity Falls to just have a good brother-sister relationship without having to worry that they're going to awkwardly have sexual thoughts about eachother. inb4 that stupid gif

Zenfalcia

Yep. It's one-sided and the inverse of Oberon's. The girl takes a lot of grief from the people who ridicule her for it.

I'll look forward to see how it pans out when i get around to watching it.

Nope, just left it to cook and it was ash when I found it.

What an AMAZING cook.

This for me, I hate that whenever I see siblings(brother/sister atleast) in anything Japanese related, I go 'ugh' because I expect them, at the very least, to have some incest moment/undertone.

Not Japanese, but I was really happy when I watched Gravity Falls to just have a good brother-sister relationship without having to worry that they're going to awkwardly have sexual thoughts about eachother. inb4 that stupid gif

I'm so tempted to post it, but I won't.

UCVNgoc.gif

This one?

No but seriously, gravity falls is the fucking best. I should watch season 2 sometime

I'd like to add somthing, but I think it would make my situation worse, WAY worse.
You're that guy? I had no idea!
physicaly
Sorry to hear about the fire,
Yeah, i can already imagine, if you really want to, we can do it through PMs.
It was soooo worth it though. 10/10.
Edit: whoops dp.
yes it was
Nope, just left it to cook and it was ash when I found it.
well at least nothing too bad happened, did he buy pizza or something for everyone afterward?

Alfebit

Banned
Goodness! That's awful. I'm glad to hear everyone was ok, that's the stuff you can't replace.

Good to hear nothing bad happened. I burnt some fries I was baking the other day because I just forgot. I didn't realize until I smelt them, since I didn't hear the timer. They were actually black all the way through.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. I put some waffles in my toaster oven and set the timer. It usually dings and stops itself when it's done but I guess it got stuck or something so it went on for like an hour until I smelled it. My waffles were black and crispy and the whole kitchen smelled like burnt waffles for a week.

I know where you're coming from. But there is a difference between past traditions in history of long lines of inbreeding (especially since many of these relationships were "arranged", so even the notion of attracting a good "mate" is removed from the equation).

Things like genetic defects from inbreeding are extremely unlikely in a "one off" situation (where relatives have offspring but there is no history of incest before that).

So I guess what I'm saying is, hypothetically if twins had a bond that went beyond what is "socally acceptable", I wouldn't judge them whatsoever for it because they are doing no harm to themselves or anyone else.

However it's different if it is father/daughter and stuff like that because clearly there would be a power imbalance there that would get into the realm of abuse, even if the relationship didnt start until the daughter was "of age".

So yes inbreeding in the past created a stigma, but that's why I think anything "morally questionable" should be evaluated on a case by case basis, instead of a blanket statement that "THIS IS WRONG".
That's a fair point. People do really just react disgusted as soon as the topic comes up, and many would be judged who don't deserve it in real life. I want to really stress that I agree with the bolded.

I'm just saying, personally, I don't really agree. (Arranged marriages with inbreeding were usually done for the sake of royalty and keeping power in balance.) Inbreeding, at least to me, is a risk for any offspring involved. That's getting into a whole 'nother topic though.

At the very least, we can agree that people can do whatever they want, and don't deserve to get shit for it. I also really agree it's worth seeing the details instead of blanket generalizations, but people will always do that, sadly.
I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. I put some waffles in my toaster oven and set the timer. It usually dings and stops itself when it's done but I guess it got stuck or something so it went on for like an hour until I smelled it. My waffles were black and crispy and the whole kitchen smelled like burnt waffles for a week.

I had to open the windows and front door to get air movement. It was really cold.

Beloved

That's a fair point. People do really just react disgusted as soon as the topic comes up, and many would be judged who don't deserve it in real life. I want to really stress that I agree with the bolded.

I'm just saying, personally, I don't really agree. (Arranged marriages with inbreeding were usually done for the sake of royalty and keeping power in balance.) Inbreeding, at least to me, is a risk for any offspring involved. That's getting into a whole 'nother topic though.

At the very least, we can agree that people can do whatever they want, and don't deserve to get shit for it. I also really agree it's worth seeing the details instead of blanket generalizations, but people will always do that, sadly.

Yeah I respect that.

As far as the risk to offspring, in reality the responsible thing would be for them to not have children. However if the people in question were the same gender, that side of the argument becomes irrelevant.

Everyone should take their circumstances into consideration before having children though. The previous generations' mentality that everyone needs to "settle down and have a family" is some bullshit.

Those gifs have become self aware.
I don't even know what to say about that. That was actually uh... kinda heartfelt.

Uh... Woof.
Yeah I respect that.

As far as the risk to offspring, in reality the responsible thing would be for them to not have children. However if the people in question were the same gender, that side of the argument becomes irrelevant.

Everyone should take their circumstances into consideration before having children though. The previous generations' mentality that everyone needs to "settle down and have a family" is some bullshit.
If they could actually be mature enough to not inbreed that'd be really responsible on their part. That's basically all of my reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom