• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

To be fair the game drops you in a spot at the beginning of every try and straight up shows you his gimmick and you completely ignored it.

whYfFDU.gif

Alright. I haven't been on NeoGAF for most of the day yesterday, so I wouldn't have known.

It took me when she took her hat off to really like her design. I didn't realize it was a hat. It just seemed like a thing on her head.

You know what's weird for me, is the only one of the original characters of that game I legit love the design is Ms Peacock, but I hate keep away characters sadly.
Besides Yukiko from Persona anyways...

Also, I said original for a reason. Of course I think Big Band is rad, and Eliza is decent too.

You know what's weird for me, is the only one of the original characters of that game I legit love the design is Ms Peacock, but I hate keep away characters sadly.

Also, I said original for a reason. Of course I think Big Band is rad, and Eliza is decent too.
You know... If you watch streams that have good Peacocks, they usually don't play her fully keep away. They mostly combo from her keep away.

Peacock is like a 1930s punk-ish Disney character. She looks so cool. I wish I didn't hate everything else about fighting as or against her.
Man. So, the dangers of playing Dark Souls 2 without using a guide (somewhat, I've been drifting in and out of using it).

So I'm in No-man's Wharf and I've got like 10k souls and zero Estus Flasks and I come across a fog door and I'm like "Pfft, this can't be the boss, I'll be fine" and then WHAT THE FUCK FLEXILE SENTRY OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT but then I beat him on my first try so it was okay but man was that shit tense for a minute. Especially the last hit where he charged at me and I charged at him and only had enough stamina for one swing and I was just hammering the attack button hoping to hit him before he hit me and thankfully I did.

This game is pretty good (as expected). Though I have to say, when I beat Flexile Sentry, that was two bosses in a row I'd beaten without dying (beat Dragonrider before him), and that never happened in previous Souls games. Wonder if the bosses in DS2 are maybe a little too easy.
I'd say you're just getting gud at playing Souls. If you thought bosses so far were easy though, you're coming up on a real fun one soon enough.
By one, I mean three at once.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man. So, the dangers of playing Dark Souls 2 without using a guide (somewhat, I've been drifting in and out of using it).

So I'm in No-man's Wharf and I've got like 10k souls and zero Estus Flasks and I come across a fog door and I'm like "Pfft, this can't be the boss, I'll be fine" and then WHAT THE FUCK FLEXILE SENTRY OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT but then I beat him on my first try so it was okay but man was that shit tense for a minute. Especially the last hit where he charged at me and I charged at him and only had enough stamina for one swing and I was just hammering the attack button hoping to hit him before he hit me and thankfully I did.

This game is pretty good (as expected). Though I have to say, when I beat Flexile Sentry, that was two bosses in a row I'd beaten without dying (beat Dragonrider before him), and that never happened in previous Souls games. Wonder if the bosses in DS2 are maybe a little too easy.

You know... If you watch streams that have good Peacocks, they usually don't play her fully keep away. They mostly combo from her keep away.

I'm not coming out against Keep away characters, I don't mind fighting them at all actually. It's just, as I figured out with Yukari in Ultimax, they are definitely not for me.

Peacock is like a 1930s punk-ish Disney character. She looks so cool. I wish I didn't hate everything else about fighting as or against her.

This man gets it.

Anyways, VGA vid froze on me, so I'm hitting the sack. Plan to hook up my Wii U tomorrow, so I might be able to play some smash with you guys hopefully!
We'll see.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I feel like I'm leveling my character all wrong, though. I usually run with Dex/Str builds in these games, and from what I'm reading now, Dex isn't very important in this game at all. Which sucks because my Dex is sitting at like 19 right now.

I feel like I'm leveling my character all wrong, though. I usually run with Dex/Str builds in these games, and from what I'm reading now, Dex isn't very important in this game at all. Which sucks because my Dex is sitting at like 19 right now.

DS2 Spoiler:

Soul Vessels can be used at the witches in the beginning of the game to respec.

Just start and continue putting points into strength. Str is the Int of 2, it makes the entire game brain dead easy.

Quality builds are still ok, anything you're reading about dex being worthless is really just talking about specifically Dex weapons. As always, you should just build your stats towards the weapon you wanna use and go from there.

There's a lot of general upkeep stats in DkS2 though. VGR/VIT/END/ADP are all important to keep at a reasonable level. So you end up dumping a lot more points into your character overall.

You mean the latest part? The conveyance is kinda poor with that boss. The big dumb eyestalk should be more emphasized or something, I and several other didn't get it either.

It drops you in a spot that it can't see you, it pulls out its big dumb video game weak point eye and tries to find you with it, in a game full of stealth simple experimentation would lead you to find out that it's blind, and even without that it's clear at the beginning of the fight that its weak point is its big dumb eye just like any other boss in any other game with an eye like that. When I played the game I figured it out immediately, the only way it could be more obvious is if they had fuckin Sonic like dialogue saying, " Wow, this big dumb blind monster's weak point must be its eye!"

It drops you in a spot that it can't see you, it pulls out its big dumb video game weak point eye and tries to find you with it, in a game full of stealth simple experimentation would lead you to find out that it's blind, and even without that it's clear that the beginning of the fight that its weak point is its big dumb eye just like any other boss in any other game with an eye like that. When I played the game I figured it out immediately, the only way it could be more obvious is if they had fuckin Sonic like dialogue saying, " Wow, this big dumb blind monster's weak point must be its eye!"

I don't recall seeing the big eye until it started glowing purple.

Mind you, I just played that fight a couple of Hours ago.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Quality builds are still ok, anything you're reading about dex being worthless is really just talking about specifically Dex weapons. As always, you should just build your stats towards the weapon you wanna use and go from there.

There's a lot of general upkeep stats in DkS2 though. VGR/VIT/END/ADP are all important to keep at a reasonable level. So you end up dumping a lot more points into your character overall.

Alright cool, thanks for the advice. I'll probably end up respeccing at some point anyway, just to be safe.

Another thing I've noticed that I don't like, though, is that spears seem to have been suuuuuper nerfed this time around. Spears got me through the entirety of Demon's and half of Dark 1 until I got Queelag's Flamesword, but in DS2 my stamina runs out after like three jabs with one. Am I crazy or do spears take a hell of a lot more stamina than they used to?

I don't recall seeing the big eye until it started glowing purple.

Mind you, I just played that fight a couple of Hours ago.

When you start the fight you are behind a pillar, it then immediately extends a stalk with an eye on it, it retracts the eye if you go guns blazing on it. They even saw the eye at the beginning of the fight more than once and ignored it, once even saying "Oh he's just Saddler."

When you start the fight you are behind a pillar, it then immediately extends a stalk with an eye on it, it retracts the eye if you go guns blazing on it. They even saw the eye at the beginning of the fight more than once and ignored it, once even saying "Oh he's just Saddler."

I wish the game conveyed that better then, because the first thing I had to do was run out of the way to dodge that fucker charging at me.

Pumping it with harpoon bolts and kicking fire barrels at it was how I killed it.

It drops you in a spot that it can't see you, it pulls out its big dumb video game weak point eye and tries to find you with it, in a game full of stealth simple experimentation would lead you to find out that it's blind, and even without that it's clear at the beginning of the fight that its weak point is its big dumb eye just like any other boss in any other game with an eye like that. When I played the game I figured it out immediately, the only way it could be more obvious is if they had fuckin Sonic like dialogue saying, " Wow, this big dumb blind monster's weak point must be its eye!"
We've already had a huge discussion on this when that part came out, but I'll just address your points really quick.

There's no indication that being seen/heard is negative. If it did something as simple as starting out with the eye out instead of giving you time to be seen by walking out before it does that, it would be much clearer. Hell if they started you crouching it would help to imply stealth.

There's also no real visual indication that it's blind until it pulls out that eyestalk and you try stealth. If it started the fight with it out, looking for the player, it'd be a really simple way to show that, instead of giving you enough time to not even see it.

It makes sense when you know that, but there's not much to suggest that you should try it. Heck they even tried stealth on the doge boss earlier, and then people got mad about that.

I think the dummy made of Wood, Bear, Panda, and Muscle Tiger man are extra super cereal.

Not to mention the disco breakdance fighter, the boxing dinosaur, the cartoon dinosaur, the literal angel, the devil gene and the fuckton of robots, one of which is a cute anime robot lady, are all the most serious and legitimate fighting game characters ever, but this vocaloid girl is completely and 100% unacceptable.

Not to mention the disco breakdance fighter, the boxing dinosaur, the cartoon dinosaur, the literal angel, the devil gene and the fuckton of robots, one of which is a cute anime robot lady, are all the most serious and legitimate fighting game characters ever, but this vocaloid girl is completely and 100% unacceptable.
Hey Eddy as the capoeira guy shouldn't be compared to those... Unless there is another disco breakdancing fighter?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I guess I haven't been up to date with Tekken...

Chloe does look fun to play tho...

Tiger's literally just as old as Eddy. He was a secret character in Tekken 3 accessed by pressing Start on Eddy on the character select screen. Since then he's become his own character (but still functionally an Eddy clone).

Tiger's literally just as old as Eddy. He was a secret character in Tekken 3 accessed by pressing Start on Eddy on the character select screen. Since then he's become his own character (but still functionally an Eddy clone).
Hmmm I think I would actually take him more than Eddy, I need to check him out in Tekken 3 then.

Nordicus

Uncharted 1 is super rough today
It's rougher than rough, I just got to some of the longer shooting sections. Okay, having worse platforming than Jak is not great, but I can live with it. But the gunplay is worse than in Jak 2 and 3. How the fuck does that happen?

I'd rather play Spec Ops: The Line on the hardest difficulty than the BS this game calls combat. Aiming is awful, guns are inaccurate, enemies are bullet sponges, cover doesn't really work, there's no sprint, and any progression done mid-combat is punished by having some of the enemies spawn behind you if you managed to beat the final guy in a "wave" in melee combat.

This. Is. Garbage. How the fuck did both Naughty Dog and Insomniac (Resistance 2 campaign) get so bad all of a sudden? They both made consistently great games on the PS2

It's rougher than rough, I just got to some of the longer shooting sections. Okay, having worse platforming than Jak is not great, but I can live with it. But the gunplay is worse than in Jak 2 and 3. How the fuck does that happen?

I'd rather play Spec Ops: The Line on the hardest difficulty than the BS this game calls combat. Aiming is awful, guns are inaccurate, enemies are bullet sponges, cover doesn't really work, there's no sprint, and any progression done mid-combat is punished by having some of the enemies spawn behind you if you managed to beat the final guy in a "wave" in melee combat.

This. Is. Garbage. How the fuck did both Naughty Dog and Insomniac (Resistance 2 campaign) get so bad all of a sudden? They both made consistently great games on the PS2
Just drop uncharted 1 and play uncharted 2 its like the best ps3 game.

ultimax

I never played 3 but what made it so much worse than 2?
It wasn't that much worse, but I thought 2 had a better story and cooler levels. I thought the MP was much better too.

I still think Tomb Raider beats Uncharted, but I can't wait to see how the next games turn out

demidar

Enemy placement, level design, inferior pacing, lots of boring as shit levels and it just wasn't as fun and tightly designed as UC2 in my personal opinion.

I'm not a fan of uncharted in general, but I did enjoy 2 more than I thought I would, yet could not stand 3.

They made the setpieces first, then tried to tie them together with a story afterwards. It should be the other way around.

It wasn't that much worse, but I thought 2 had a better story and cooler levels. I thought the MP was much better too.

I still think Tomb Raider beats Uncharted, but I can't wait to see how the next games turn out

I don't know why so many people disliked reboot Tomb Raider, because I loved playing Through that game. Combat was a breath of fresh air an I loved the new mobility option Lara now had. Story was flimsy and pacing was a bit ridiculous, but new Lara is exactly how I want a tomb raider game to play.

The MP was surprisingly solid as well.

croten

I don't know why so many people disliked reboot Tomb Raider, because I loved playing Through that game. Combat was a breath of fresh air an I loved the new mobility option Lara now had. Story was flimsy and pacing was a bit ridiculous, but new Lara is exactly how I want a tomb raider game to play.

QTEs and Lara being this weak woman that you feel you must protect, blah blah blah. I went in with low expectations and loved it. It had a bit of a metroidvania feel to it as well.

ultimax

I feel the same way. I enjoy the gameplay of tomb raider infinitley more than uncharted, it's just that the story/characters are weaker. I'm not much of a MP person anyways, but from what I've played, it wasn't bad at all.

croten

You mean the extremely linear, dumbed down shooter had a metroidvania feel to it? I don't hate the Reboot as the actual shooting was fine, but it's certainly nothing special in my eyes. And yes, the terrible story and characters are legitimate weakpoints, considering how much time the game spends on them.

Pretty much. Didn't work in their favor.

Nothing special but neither was Uncharted to me, TR just did the gameplay better. I liked exploring areas for all the secrets and I really liked the upgrade system.

Nothing special but neither was Uncharted to me, TR just did the gameplay better. I liked exploring areas for all the secrets and I really liked the upgrade system.

The big issue I had was for a game called Tomb Raider, we were barely raiding tombs and grabbing treasure.

All of the tombs IIRC were optional.

croten

Not arguing about Uncharted, as I don't care about that either. Just saying that I don't think Tomb Raider was all that good aside from its actual combat mechanics. The puzzles were braindead, with fucking painted arrows occasionally pointing you towards the "secret treasure", always ending with Lara drooling over some gold and shoving it into her pockets. Hunting and gathering is only useful to build up exp (and even then it's not that important) and after the whole game of Lara talking about how horrible everything is and
her friends dying in front of her
all the while murdering tons of dudes in gruesome ways, the game ends with her looking forward to her next adventure! And then the trailer for the next game seemingly shows us the aftermath of her newest adventure where she seems to be traumatized and talking to a psychiatrist. Well no fucking shit. How about you not do that again after how fucking horribly it ended the first time?

Even then, there were a handful of actual tombs to explore and the game couldn't wait shoving you from one fight to the next. If you're called Tomb Raider, how about you actually spend more time raiding tombs with deadly and difficult puzzles and whatnot? This game is a pure action first, platformer and adventure game second.

The plot and characters are bad yes. But that didn't matter to me at all. I didn't play it for that, were the previous Tomb raider games a sterling example of plot and character? I wanted a fun third person shooter and that's what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom