• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should also note that I completely hate musical theatre plays. I think there was only like one I might of not hated but that was because it was actually a pretty good comedy as well.

and the lead actress was really hot

ICGpPWkl.jpg

I have returned from my expedition to Seattle in search of arcades. Went to the Seattle Gameworks as the research I did before hand said there were multiple DDR machines there, but given how potentially old and dated that info would be, I wasn't sure if it would have them all, or if there was much else there besides it.

Well, they had all those DDR machines listed along with a ton of other Bemani games, and then a shit ton of other games on top of that. Racing, light gun, fighters, etc. The stuff you would've found at a Chuck E Cheese or some bullshit was way less than I had expected, considering that the one arcade I remember in Anchorage before I moved down to Redmond was dominated by that crap.

I bought a card for 20 credits, but since it was my first time getting one, they added an extra 17. That seems like a lot in total, but some of those games aren't cheap to play. A summary of what I used those 37 credits on.

DDR Extreme - The first DDR game that exposed me to the series, I had heard the machine was not in the best of condition, but the player 1 side felt responsive enough. Though as a precaution I turned off freeze arrows because I had an experience with a Supernova cabinet where that shit didn't work properly. Left my feet sore as hell, but it would not have been a genuine DDR experience if I did not feel like an exhausted piece of shit afterwards. Also, the speakers were really fucking loud for some reason. I guess the people in charge wanted others to know when someone was dancing or something.

After Burner Climax - I remember playing the game when it came out on PSN years ago and liking it, so I was surprised to see this place have a cabinet for that (Japan also had it in arcades as well). The part that excited me was finding there was a seatbelt for the cabinet because IT MOVES! Piloting the jet moves around the seat just like the older cabinets. Didn't get too far in it, but it was fun.

Pop'n Music - There was no Beatmania IIDX cabinet, so the closest thing to find to that (if you can consider it close) was Pop'n music. With 9 big flashing buttons to hit, it's much more approachable and easier to get into than IIDX, though the song selection isn't quite the same. Everything was fine except for the screen. The colors and contrast was fucking jacked to shit, but not to the point I couldn't make out any of the notes I needed to hit. Would like to play more, but I'd like it if Gameworks would fix that shit.

Drummania - This was right next to the Guitar Freaks cabinet, which to those who don't know was Rock Band for Japan before Harmonix made Rock Band for the rest of the world. I never got to try drums in Rock Band so I went for Drummania. I tried my first run on the easiest difficulty to get myself accustomed to playing on drums, only to do another run on standard difficulty and get my ass kicked.

Crazy Taxi - Last time I played an arcade version of Crazy Taxi was a stand up cabinet at a movie theater when I went to see Scott Pilgrim vs The World. This time I got to play it in a sit down cabinet, although the music was extremely quiet, and I also could not pull off any Crazy Dashes or other fancy maneuvers, only getting a Class C licence in the end. I'm way to used to playing this game with a Dreamcast controller.

Those are the five games I played, though there was also the Taiko Drum game, tons Sega light gun games (saw a Too Spicy cabinet, but can't remember if it was operational or not). There was also a section full of fighting games, such as Tekken, USFIV, and even Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. And they were all the Japanese style arcade cabinets. Didn't play any of them, but I did sit down at once briefly just to see how it felt. No Virtua Fighter though, but in this country what the fuck can you do.

So in summary, the expedition was a success, and I feel glad that there is an actually decent arcade I can go to whenever that only takes a 45 minute bus trip to get to. I was a bit nervous about how it was going to turn out, especially after discovering the Waterfront arcade had closed down back in September, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Last note, fuck you skLaFarebear for all the rhythm game shit talking while I was away. NOT. COOL.

I saw a Lion King musical on Broadway in New York and wanted to shoot myself. No shame.

There are better musicals than The Lion King.

In The Heights, Rent, Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, The Producers, Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q

That was off the top of my head. Musical theater can be pretty great to go see.

In The Heights, Rent, Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, The Producers, Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q

Probably, but I just don't like how a movie or a play with a pretty decent story just breaks out into song. Completely destroys the immersion, especially if it happens too much.

You should remember the name so you can tell me.

It was a smaller sized theatre play that I saw last year for my class. I don't remember the name exactly and I already threw out the program. It was Italian though so it was pretty funny and the acting wasn't bad.

Easy. Ew.

WHAT ABOUT DOCTOR HORRIBLE'S SING-ALONG BLOG!?!?!?!

dr-horrible.jpg

Who??!

What about movie ones?

Singing in the rain is pretty good...

I rarely watch movies. I don't think I've ever seen a musical one.

What made you go to watch it? And was it your first musical?

Yeah. I was young and went to New York. Just remember hating it.

Aw come on now, take the Phantom of the Opera offa there

i come back from playing some Witcher and see Skalafabear dissing one of my favorite genres?
th

just for that your gonna get 5x as much rule 63 later
just for you

I have returned from my expedition to Seattle in search of arcades. Went to the Seattle Gameworks as the research I did before hand said there were multiple DDR machines there, but given how potentially old and dated that info would be, I wasn't sure if it would have them all, or if there was much else there besides it.

Well, they had all those DDR machines listed along with a ton of other Bemani games, and then a shit ton of other games on top of that. Racing, light gun, fighters, etc. The stuff you would've found at a Chuck E Cheese or some bullshit was way less than I had expected, considering that the one arcade I remember in Anchorage before I moved down to Redmond was dominated by that crap.

I bought a card for 20 credits, but since it was my first time getting one, they added an extra 17. That seems like a lot in total, but some of those games aren't cheap to play. A summary of what I used those 37 credits on.

DDR Extreme - The first DDR game that exposed me to the series, I had heard the machine was not in the best of condition, but the player 1 side felt responsive enough. Though as a precaution I turned off freeze arrows because I had an experience with a Supernova cabinet where that shit didn't work properly. Left my feet sore as hell, but it would not have been a genuine DDR experience if I did not feel like an exhausted piece of shit afterwards. Also, the speakers were really fucking loud for some reason. I guess the people in charge wanted others to know when someone was dancing or something.

After Burner Climax - I remember playing the game when it came out on PSN years ago and liking it, so I was surprised to see this place have a cabinet for that (Japan also had it in arcades as well). The part that excited me was finding there was a seatbelt for the cabinet because IT MOVES! Piloting the jet moves around the seat just like the older cabinets. Didn't get too far in it, but it was fun.

Pop'n Music - There was no Beatmania IIDX cabinet, so the closest thing to find to that (if you can consider it close) was Pop'n music. With 9 big flashing buttons to hit, it's much more approachable and easier to get into than IIDX, though the song selection isn't quite the same. Everything was fine except for the screen. The colors and contrast was fucking jacked to shit, but not to the point I couldn't make out any of the notes I needed to hit. Would like to play more, but I'd like it if Gameworks would fix that shit.

Drummania - This was right next to the Guitar Freaks cabinet, which to those who don't know was Rock Band for Japan before Harmonix made Rock Band for the rest of the world. I never got to try drums in Rock Band so I went for Drummania. I tried my first run on the easiest difficulty to get myself accustomed to playing on drums, only to do another run on standard difficulty and get my ass kicked.

Crazy Taxi - Last time I played an arcade version of Crazy Taxi was a stand up cabinet at a movie theater when I went to see Scott Pilgrim vs The World. This time I got to play it in a sit down cabinet, although the music was extremely quiet, and I also could not pull off any Crazy Dashes or other fancy maneuvers, only getting a Class C licence in the end. I'm way to used to playing this game with a Dreamcast controller.

Those are the five games I played, though there was also the Taiko Drum game, tons Sega light gun games (saw a Too Spicy cabinet, but can't remember if it was operational or not). There was also a section full of fighting games, such as Tekken, USFIV, and even Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. And they were all the Japanese style arcade cabinets. Didn't play any of them, but I did sit down at once briefly just to see how it felt. No Virtua Fighter though, but in this country what the fuck can you do.

So in summary, the expedition was a success, and I feel glad that there is an actually decent arcade I can go to whenever that only takes a 45 minute bus trip to get to. I was a bit nervous about how it was going to turn out, especially after discovering the Waterfront arcade had closed down back in September, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Last note, fuck you skLaFarebear for all the rhythm game shit talking while I was away. NOT. COOL.

I remember going to that Gameworks for a birthday party a while back, shit was tight. It's a bit more expensive than I want though.

I should play more Witcher 1. I'm at chapter 4, but I got owned randomly and lost a lot of progress and then Persona Q happened. But I thought today I might start reading The Last Wish because Geralt is fucking great and I want more Geralt. I read the first short story in the book
which is basically the opening CGI from the first Witcher
and really liked it.

I'm still playing Dragonfall. I'm at the
APEX AI but I got fucked the first time because I just got owned. I wanted to side with the AI because I'm all for freedom, but I'm not a big fan of Blitz so I had no decker.
So I restarted the mission and I'm back just there now. Good game. Probably my GOTY. Such a good world and story.

Sound like you had fun. How many people were at the arcade and what did they play? Any fighting games cabinets?
I only saw one other guy who was playing games, maybe 2? I did see one of them playing the Taiko drum game. There weren't very many people there at all, but considering it has a bar and other venues attached to it, I imagine the arcade side of it isn't the primary draw for most people. Not my problem, as I don't need to bother with any of that other stuff.

And I did mention there were fighting game cabinets. USFIV, TvC, Tekken 5 and TTT2, they even had one for Soul Calibur III, not sure why though.

I remember going to that Gameworks for a birthday party a while back, shit was tight. It's a bit more expensive than I want though.
Yeah, the Bemani stuff in particular was very expensive, it was like 7 credits for Pop'n Music and 6 for Drummania (which I ended up spending 12 on that for two sessions). Crazy Taxi was pretty cheap though, only 2 credits, but I'm sure that's cause it's old and wasn't something that had been primarily exclusive to Japan like a lot of Konami's rhythm games.

I need to add the bluray to my wishlist.
This too.
One day. Or probably not. I still haven't even seen an Alien movie or a Star Wars movie and those sound much more appealing.
That's understandable. I need to watch those too.
I only saw one other guy who was playing games, maybe 2? I did see one of them playing the Taiko drum game. There weren't very many people there at all, but considering it has a bar and other venues attached to it, I imagine the arcade side of it isn't the primary draw for most people. Not my problem, as I don't need to bother with any of that other stuff.

And I did mention there were fighting game cabinets. USFIV, TvC, Tekken 5 and TTT2, they even had one for Soul Calibur III, not sure why though.
I wish they were more commonplace now... Your super lucky that you live close to one.

Zenfalcia

Yooooo! They have updated art right? Damn.. i'm so tempted to get this, but i already played through the DS versions.

That's dissapointing that there weren't that many people there, but then again arcades aren't popular everywhere.

Probably got them when they were popular or cheap and just kept them? Who knows.

That's dissapointing that there weren't that many people there, but then again arcades aren't popular everywhere.

Probably got them when they were popular or cheap and just kept them? Who knows.
True, it already had taken me quite a bit of work to do research on these arcades and see how much they had. Even with the lack of popularity these days, I still give Gameworks props for making the place feel like an honest to god arcade from 15 years ago. That kind of dimly lit, two story area with rows and sections of video games. Except cards are used to store credits instead of putting coins into a slot on the machine, which is kind of a bummer, but not much.

I need to make a list of what games I want to play for the next time I head there. I saw another Bemani cabinet called Dance Maniax, which I remember hearing as sort of a precursor to Para Para Paradise (using sensors to detect hand movements) which I have never actually seen in person before. Still can't believe how almost overwhelmed I was by the selection. Would be interesting to try that out.

Jman014

I should play more Witcher 1. I'm at chapter 4, but I got owned randomly and lost a lot of progress and then Persona Q happened. But I thought today I might start reading The Last Wish because Geralt is fucking great and I want more Geralt. I read the first short story in the book
which is basically the opening CGI from the first Witcher
and really liked it.

I'm still playing Dragonfall. I'm at the
APEX AI but I got fucked the first time because I just got owned. I wanted to side with the AI because I'm all for freedom, but I'm not a big fan of Blitz so I had no decker.
So I restarted the mission and I'm back just there now. Good game. Probably my GOTY. Such a good world and story.

I've only played Witcher 2, but the world seems interesting enough. Looking forward to 3.

The Shadowrun universe is interesting too with all the cyberpunk going on and I'd highly recommend Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut to anyone interested in rpgs and cyberpunk.

Welp, time to go dark on account of finals... Should be back around Thursday night or whenever I have a break.

Also Kamiya was the voice of Godot in the JP version of T&T.
themoreyouknow.jpg

Zenfalcia

True, it already had taken me quite a bit of work to do research on these arcades and see how much they had. Even with the lack of popularity these days, I still give Gameworks props for making the place feel like an honest to god arcade from 15 years ago. That kind of dimly lit, two story area with rows and sections of video games. Except cards are used to store credits instead of putting coins into a slot on the machine, which is kind of a bummer, but not much.

I need to make a list of what games I want to play for the next time I head there. I saw another Bemani cabinet called Dance Maniax, which I remember hearing as sort of a precursor to Para Para Paradise (using sensors to detect hand movements) which I have never actually seen in person before. Still can't believe how almost overwhelmed I was by the selection. Would be interesting to try that out.

Hopefully it'll stay open. So you're going to do another visit then? It'll help if you had a list of games you plan to play so you don't get overwhelmed again.
My favorite male character in games. Even his ringtone is amazing. I'd link it, but mobileGAF.

Git gud and link it anyways.
i'm on mobile and it's a goddamn pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom