• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat |OT| Time to let loose with the juice!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
my record is 2-1 haha. I won both games I played as Leo. Got my ass kicked when I tried playing as some chick on a ball. The first game I had no idea what to do with my money and ended up near 8k I think. lol

DarkKyo

The promo items in TF2 are amazing.

TF2 said:
YAA1M.jpg
HuQk2.jpg

Edit: bleh... Pyro item is a hat, not a misc :(

Wthermans

Banned
LTTP here but a 1.3 gig patch? Fuck that was not a good thing to notice when it's 90% done and on a tight bandwidth cap.

Yep. Uber keeps saying they are "decreasing patch sizes" but I'm fairly certain that's BS at this point. They've said that after every patch and the patch sizes are remaining fairly consistent. Rule #1 of following Uber Ent: Don't believe a damn thing they say.

Really? Where does it say that? :/

Uber Trade forums in the SMNC Trading thread. Pros aren't currently tradeable and probably won't be until next patch. Currently only Products are tradeable as everything else is getting added to Steam Inventory for trading.

FatBaby

Uber Trade forums in the SMNC Trading thread. Pros aren't currently tradeable and probably won't be until next patch. Currently only Products are tradeable as everything else is getting added to Steam Inventory for trading.

Well, I guess I will have to wait then. Thanks for the info.

My offer still stands if anyone is still interested and doesn't mind waiting until it goes live.

Card Boy

Banned
Wish me luck guys im installing it again for the 3rd time. Lets see if i get a 1.3 gig patch next week that causes me to uninstall again.

Card Boy

Banned
You know what? This Steam trading is a #gamechanger for this game. I may actually start playing again.

Also getting ridding of loses is an awesome idea. Now i don't give a shit when i lose unlike DOTA/HoN/LoL.

edit: fuck it still shows loses after match.

Wthermans

Banned
Wish me luck guys im installing it again for the 3rd time. Lets see if i get a 1.3 gig patch next week that causes me to uninstall again.

Lastest patch was 1.3GB and they haven't been getting any smaller. Think we're stuck with the large patches. :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lastest patch was 1.3GB and they haven't been getting any smaller. Think we're stuck with the large patches. :(

It's explained on their forums as being due to the nature of Unreal Engine. Their packets work in a way, where anything changing in the packet causes the whole thing to have to be re-written and downloaded. So if they add 1 costume to the game... the whole costume packet, even if it were to contain every costume in the game, needs to be re-downloaded.

So, as long as these updates contain sweeping, big changes, don't expect small patch files. But when they're just updating numbers for damage vaules and such, the patches should be smaller.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^^ It's not really inconveniencing to me, either, but I understand the problem for people with limited bandwidth / monthly caps.

Card Boy

Banned
It's explained on their forums as being due to the nature of Unreal Engine. Their packets work in a way, where anything changing in the packet causes the whole thing to have to be re-written and downloaded. So if they add 1 costume to the game... the whole costume packet, even if it were to contain every costume in the game, needs to be re-downloaded.

So, as long as these updates contain sweeping, big changes, don't expect small patch files. But when they're just updating numbers for damage vaules and such, the patches should be smaller.

You don't believe this right? Tribes is an Unreal game and patches are anywhere between a few meg up to 650 depending if they add a map, patches are usually 350 meg.

Myomoto

This sounds like it will quickly snowball in to a HUGE issue when this game gets more content...

Wthermans

Banned

Yes, they've blamed it on UE3 for some time now. They've also promised smaller patches for some time and failed to deliver. Even patches where they updated damage values were 800MB. Problem is there are other UE3 games that have no problem with small patches. Uber is just deficient on this point and it's detrimental to a game getting weekly updates. It's kinda ludicrous that you need to allot 5GB/month to a F2P game when many users are facing bandwidth caps.

every item I have in my inventory says "not tradable". What things are tradable then?

Have you purchased anything from the in-game store? You can't trade until you do.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You don't believe this right? Tribes is an Unreal game and patches are anywhere between a few meg up to 650 depending if they add a map, patches are usually 350 meg.

Yeah, there's no excuse. Tribes, and Blacklight are both UE games and don't have this problem.

Just reposting what was mentioned there, so... who knows how neat they are as programmers? If anything, I wish they handled the patches similiar to how they did with the XBLA MNC; there was server-side text that determined damage values and such, so such things could be updated on the fly, without a need of a real patch. And I think the Spunky Arena they added was near 500 megs, after that, sooo...

I've only been playing the game for a few weeks now, so it's interesting to see the history of the situation. Maybe it'll be better once they stop things like sweeping UI changes and constantly upgrading the art of Downtowm Spunky...

This sounds like it will quickly snowball in to a HUGE issue when this game gets more content...

No idea. It just sounds to me like they're modding more than they need to, hopefully this is the extent of it's size, though.

Imagine what it'll be like when they add some new pros!

Tokubetsu

Just reposting what was mentioned there, so... who knows how neat they are as programmers? If anything, I wish they handled the patches similiar to how they did with the XBLA MNC; there was server-side text that determined damage values and such, so such things could be updated on the fly, without a need of a real patch. And I think the Spunky Arena they added was near 500 megs, after that, sooo...

I've only been playing the game for a few weeks now, so it's interesting to see the history of the situation. Maybe it'll be better once they stop things like sweeping UI changes and constantly upgrading the art of Downtowm Spunky...

No idea. It just sounds to me like they're modding more than they need to, hopefully this is the extent of it's size, though.

Imagine what it'll be like when they add some new pros!

Yea, more than anything it just screams of "we didn't properly plan this infastructure." Maybe the game didn't start with weekly updates in mind?

I imagine that the problem is that super is built off MNC PC which was built from the console MNC where patches work differently, I guess at the time 2 years ago they didn't even think about making smaller packages and did what felt best for them at the time, but it's come back to bite them in the bum now especially with weekly updates.

BurningNad

Man, being a feeder is one thing, being a leaver is another, but both? You're just scum to me.

Syl decided to feed 5 deaths then leave halfway through, came back 10 minutes later and fed some more. Ignored my advice to stay in the spawn since he was level 6 and everyone else was 14+. We got their moneyball to about 10% but they beat us out. Oh well. Feeling less rage than I should, which is nice.

eznark

Banned
Is the only thing you can buy with the ingame currency heroes? Also, man the rate of earning them feels way too slow.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is the only thing you can buy with the ingame currency heroes? Also, man the rate of earning them feels way too slow.

- No, you can buy products and endorsements with in-game currency, too.
- Sure the rate of earning is kinda slow, why else would you buy CC boost from the shop? ;)

I've only been playing for a few weeks, but afforded a 4500 and 9000 credit character in that time, now with enough to buy a 2nd 4500, without any real money spent.

Unicorn

Are there random "loot" drops like in TF2? Otherwise I don't see the point in trading if you're dropping real money anyway.

Myomoto

Are there random "loot" drops like in TF2? Otherwise I don't see the point in trading if you're dropping real money anyway.

Yes, there's a chance you get a 'prize' after a match. I think it's related to the amount of time you play, like in TF2. I think you can even unlock pros through the prizes.

Unicorn

Awesome. Definitely more interested now. So far the only pro I can use is the dude with the chaingun. The other heavy has some short range beam. Didn't realize it for half the match, "why does this guy do NO damage!?"

BurningNad

Yes, there's a chance you get a 'prize' after a match. I think it's related to the amount of time you play, like in TF2. I think you can even unlock pros through the prizes.

You get a random prize after about an hour and a half worth of play time, as in, time in a match, not just idling at the menu screen. You can get any product, endorsement, taunt, and uniform parts, as well as a "Chicky Hat" for each Pro. You cannot unlock Pros from a random prize, only through combat credits or real money.

Awesome. Definitely more interested now. So far the only pro I can use is the dude with the chaingun. The other heavy has some short range beam. Didn't realize it for half the match, "why does this guy do NO damage!?"

Tank has a jet gun which is just a flamethrower, his secondary is a rail gun.

Gunner is good but you need to really watch out around you against good players, he can be ganked easy.

TeegsD

Played my first two games. Managed to go like 4-4-13 in my first game which was close until 3 of use went down and they made the last push. Second game was like 10 minutes long. Went 0-4-? but played as some healer class. Seem really fun but I need to figure out just how to use some of these abilities as best as I can.

You get a random prize after about an hour and a half worth of play time, as in, time in a match, not just idling at the menu screen. You can get any product, endorsement, taunt, and uniform parts, as well as a "Chicky Hat" for each Pro. You cannot unlock Pros from a random prize, only through combat credits or real money.

I actually got a drop after my first game. Was some shoes of some sort.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Nope, with Support, I get mini sentries, heal beam, and shotgun.

I like Combat Girl too. She's pretty much Support, but you get more of everything (multiple turrets, multi-heal beam). And they're all a little weaker. But they're more!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I like Combat Girl too. She's pretty much Support, but you get more of everything (multiple turrets, multi-heal beam). And they're all a little weaker. But they're more!

Her fucking nail gun mauls through people too late game specially if you have the 80% accuracy thingy

Unicorn

I just bought Cheston as well as his Cheston Armstrong outfit. was about $25. I haven't spent money on a f2p game yet.

He took some getting used to as his tommy gun blooms like a motherfucker. I think when I start getting better endorsements that increase accuracy or whatever then he'll be pretty beastly. His charge attack doesn't seem too great compared to other melee special abilities and his call out buff is decent for the boost in movement speed and quick pinch of health.

Any GAFfers on now? I'm kinda hooked. haha

hopefully there will be more variations to the weapons similar to what TF2 does. The color reskins aren't enough to entice me.

BurningNad

I just bought Cheston as well as his Cheston Armstrong outfit. was about $25. I haven't spent money on a f2p game yet.

He took some getting used to as his tommy gun blooms like a motherfucker. I think when I start getting better endorsements that increase accuracy or whatever then he'll be pretty beastly. His charge attack doesn't seem too great compared to other melee special abilities and his call out buff is decent for the boost in movement speed and quick pinch of health.

Any GAFfers on now? I'm kinda hooked. haha

hopefully there will be more variations to the weapons similar to what TF2 does. The color reskins aren't enough to entice me.

His charge is amazing for trapping people in corners or ringing people out. It does good damage. Cheston is fun as shit to play. I'm on now, but having a horrible losing streak. Add me on Steam and I'm down to group up.

Card Boy

Banned
Why are the 4500 coin Pros $1.99, but the 9000 coin Pros are $7.50? It literally makes no sense. Shouldn't they be $4?

Explain this twisted logic. I was ready to through money down and buy all the pros.

Myomoto

Why are the 4500 coin Pros $1.99, but the 9000 coin Pros are $7.50? It literally makes no sense. Shouldn't they be $4?

Explain this twisted logic. I was ready to through money down and buy all the pros.

Buy the bundles instead then, $15 for all the old MNC pros.

Myomoto

Thanks. I didn't realise there where bundle deals. It still doesn't make sense why some Pros are worth more than others.

It's usually ordered after difficulty, I guess it's to scare people away from pros that take a higher degree of commitment to play well.

Top Bottom