• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Masked Man

I said wow
same here, there's always a chance to make a comeback

Even just today I've had plenty of comebacks. I just nailed a Sheik with my Little Mac after losing the first stock. It's not impossible to win even when you're behind.

Same. I think it is even a tad disrespectful to give up after the opponent giving their best to beat you in the match.

I kind of agree with you. I think For Glory can be a great way to test characters and learn new strategies, so it's pretty disappointing when people just throw the match. If I'm putting forth a decent effort, why don't you? :/

Azure J

Another thing about For Glory I don't get: people who just throw a match partway through. I was one stock up on this guy (DH vs Dark Pit), and all of a sudden--two minutes in--he just runs off the side of the stage and SDs. What gives?

Just curious, how do you feel about it in situations like this:

I do this pretty often when serious lag kicks in. Not worth wasting my time to play a match with big input lag. But if that was happening you'd almost definitely feel it too.

Or situations where a technical malfunction hinders your play? I've been playing a bunch of For Glory sets with my "handed down to me" 3DS and the slide pad is a complete mess. I'm glad it hasn't given out completely, but it always sucks when it starts to drift mid match, especially if the set is tense/close.

RomanceDawn

I would have never expected that mii brawler would be challenging for my 2nd best character. Wow

Hey you why are you so good and has anyone consistently Brest your Ness? I'd play you now if you want.

K hop, good games the other night, best Link I have played yet. When you used that custom Arrow that kills so well I thought you used a new advanced technique.

I'm not a huge smash player, just with my friends in town and only on Brawl. Since I got this though, been trying out lots of new characters. This week I started playing with Captain Falcon and he's such a badass. Ever since one of my friends showed me his down taunt I'm dominating online.

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

Jado

Banned
Last night I had a guy quit on me within moments after the match began. I got a couple of good hits in and guy just said fuck it and walked off the stage twice. Maybe he hates Bowser Jr?

random25

I found a funny player online. He won the 1st match with me using Megaman and him using Bowser Jr. Then I switched to Marth and won the 2nd match. From then on, he switched to almost half of the roster to win against Marth but failed. Then he switched to Bowser and won against me and then just quit afterwards. That thirst for revenge lol. Guess I'll take 20 wins just to pad my miserable win-loss ratio :p

DaBoss

I swear playing Sheik is like playing with your fingers disabled.

So easy to put in wrong inputs. And most of her kill moves requires more precision than other characters, so yea...

rugioh

Banned
I'm not a huge smash player, just with my friends in town and only on Brawl. Since I got this though, been trying out lots of new characters. This week I started playing with Captain Falcon and he's such a badass. Ever since one of my friends showed me his down taunt I'm dominating online.

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

You have any tips? I'm really struggling trying to figure out how to play him. Short hops don't seem to get you far in this game when your opponents stay grounded and focus on rolls and running attacks for offense.

emb

I swear playing Sheik is like playing with your fingers disabled.

So easy to put in wrong inputs.
Tell me about it. T.T

Doing the grenade while trying to aim my up B off the stage is my favorite tactic. The opponent thinks I'm not gonna do that, but it's such a strong mixup I have to just go with the SD sometimes.

The other day I got an early stock lead against Little Mac and he just got up and quit with his tail between his legs. A day in the life of Ganondorf.

Wish I could upload my replay but my mario got out a forward smash and Mac got out his ok punch and my forward smash took priority lol. Blasted him off the stage.

Jado

Banned
I found a funny player online. He won the 1st match with me using Megaman and him using Bowser Jr. Then I switched to Marth and won the 2nd match. From then on, he switched to almost half of the roster to win against Marth but failed. Then he switched to Bowser and won against me and then just quit afterwards. That thirst for revenge lol. Guess I'll take 20 wins just to pad my miserable win-loss ratio :p

Yup, I've seen a lot of those. You win a bunch then they quit after their one win, because they want the "last laugh." Petty.

I had a player quit on me after he got a very narrow victory in our first and only match. We were fairly even and I'm certain he just didn't wanna risk additional losses. I guess some players are really obsessed with their records.

Mine is terrible, don't care. I will play 15 rounds against someone who outclasses me in every way -- just to improve.

DaBoss

I'm dying to PK Flash of all things with Sheik...

And then I'm having the hardest time facing the right way..........fucking circle pad.

Unless real life demands kick in I'll usually stick around in for glory until the opponent quits. The only exception being if I utterly destroy someone 3 matches in a row, in which case I'll quit because otherwise I'd feel mean continuing to stomp on them :eek:

Y'know, if I hadn't actually seen it clank a few times I'd honestly swear Palutena's jab is transcendent or something (for those not familiar with the term, transcendent moves ignore other attack's hitboxes; only interacting with the opponent's hurtbox or items, which means it can't trade or clank, passes clean through other attacks and is usually a great poke. For an example, check most of Metaknight's moves :p )
I've stuffed more moves than i can keep track of with it. I've even taunted a few people in matches by just holding the jab out and letting them run into it several times trying to find a move that can get past it XD

A lot of people don't realise that the shield hitbox on Palutena's running attack nullifies all non-armoured moves too (it even destroys projectiles.) I had a poor fox player who kept trying to beat it, much to my glee :p Her back air seems to have similar properties.

After some experimentation and reading around I found two less than fun things though...
1) Palutena's counter definitely has a longer start-up time than Lucina or anyone else's counter. As far as I can tell the counter window only begins once the 'heart pulse' effect flashes up: any hit before that won't be countered. Lucina on the other hand seems to counter almost as soon as you begin (there's a tiny window at the start where it won't but it's pretty small and infinitesimally smaller than Palutena's wind-up :p )
2) Apparently, in addition to being unshieldable, people have been claiming that little Mac's KO punch can't be countered either? Seriously, that's ridiculous if true: It's bad enough you can't shield it but punching straight through counter moves is ludicrous :/

emb

Roll, roll, roll, roll. Everyone online rolls WAY TOO MUCH. Such a bad habit. Learn how to move without depending on the roll.
Even offline newer players have been spamming rolls for me. I've actually started to develop a bad habit of being overzealous about trying to punish the roll. I expect it so much, so I just end up looking silly when I find players that don't panic roll all the time.

Of course, I also roll too much myself. :(

Unless real life demands kick in I'll usually stick around in for glory until the opponent quits. The only exception being if I utterly destroy someone 3 matches in a row, in which case I'll quit because otherwise I'd feel mean continuing to stomp on them :eek:
If they are still there, they want their butt to get kicked. It's a learning experience for them. I fought the first Little Mac to completely thrash me yesterday, and he left after two matches. I was irritated. I wanted to learn.

Even offline newer players have been spamming rolls for me. I've actually started to develop a bad habit of being overzealous about trying to punish the roll. I expect it so much, so I just end up looking silly when I find players that don't panic roll all the time.

Of course, I also roll too much myself. :(

I've been a rolling fiend since smash 64. I'm not about to stop now :p
That said, I have been dabbling with pivots as of late... so we'll see. I'm rather liking Palutena's pivot grab as the reach is a bit insane/disjointed. It's not on the level of Robin or Lucina's roll cancel grabs (Palutena barely gets much extension from that) but it can be quite surprising compared to the reach of the actual animation and it recovers quicker than her dash grab :3

jorgejjvr

Is it just me or are miis not tournament worthy? Their moves and abilities look so crazy and kinda op. Like they were purposely made like that for fun, to play with friends and have a good time. But are people honestly taking them seriously? Then xz are just too out there especially that brawler xD

There's also a reason they are not available online with randoms

If they are still there, they want their butt to get kicked. It's a learning experience for them. I fought the first Little Mac to completely thrash me yesterday, and he left after two matches. I was irritated. I wanted to learn.

I guess. If the matches are close or I notice they're improving then I'll definitely stick around as it could get interesting but if I'm still 2 stocking them or close to that by the third match I just feel like I'm taking free wins :/

emb

Is it just me or are miis not tournament worthy? Their moves and abilities look so crazy and kinda op. Like they were purposely made like that for fun, to play with friends and have a good time. But are people honestly taking them seriously? They are just too out there especially that brawler xD
Being good characters doesn't make them un-tournament-worthy.

Though one of the tournaments I was at recently did ban them, and I don't know why. Someone asked about them, and the TO said "No, customs are off" a couple of times. o_0
I second this. Even though I'm a slow learner and a generally bad player, I'd still rather stay in the room and get shut out repeatedly rather than have either of us leave. That's just more experience to soak up.
I've been a rolling fiend since smash 64. I'm not about to stop now :p
That said, I have been dabbling with pivots as of late... so we'll see. I'm rather liking Palutena's pivot grab as the reach is a bit insane/disjointed. It's not on the level of Robin or Lucina's roll cancel grabs (Palutena barely gets much extension from that) but it can be quite surprising compared to the reach of the actual animation and it recovers quicker than her dash grab :3
If you're really aware and able to pick the right moments to roll, it's probably fine. Most people definitely do it on habit and make it really apparent though.

I need to learn roll cancelling. I tried it out some on Little Mac, but I'm still not sure what the exact input is. Also, has anyone tried it much with Sheik, and is it worth it?

Same. What specials do you use? I really wanted to find more uses for the hurricane kick but the flying axe kick just seems so much better.

Up b is the hurricane kick. It can kill at around 110 and it gives you the most freedom of movement. Problem is it is a terrible recovery, but.... If your down b is that jump to kick move, it's not a problem. Side b has to be that dashing kick move. That's his best ko move. Neutral b was the cannon ball throw, but I recently changed it to the shoriuken. Still experimenting with it.

Hey you why are you so good and has anyone consistently Brest your Ness? I'd play you now if you want.

Currently at work but I'll be on this afternoon. I played brawl off and on up until about a month before smash4 came out. Ness was my main in brawl. Ness was not considered a good character in brawl, but I learned to read opponents well, memorize their habits etc to be quicker and make up for Ness's deficiencies. Now that ness is much improved in smash 4, it's only helped me overall lol. Also the difference between brawl lag and smash4 online la is night and day, so it's like taking off the weights on a bat when warming up and swinging with much more power, if that makes sense.

Have I played you yet Shamrock?

Don't think so

jorgejjvr

Being good characters doesn't make them un-tournament-worthy.

Though one of the tournaments I was at recently did ban them, and I don't know why. Someone asked about them, and the TO said "No, customs are off" a couple of times. o_0

I second this. Even though I'm a slow learner and a generally bad player, I'd still rather stay in the room and get shut out repeatedly rather than have either of us leave. That's just more experience to soak up.

If you're really aware and able to pick the right moments to roll, it's probably fine. Most people definitely do it on habit and make it really apparent though.

I need to learn roll cancelling. I tried it out some on Little Mac, but I'm still not sure what the exact input is. Also, has anyone tried it much with Sheik, and is it worth it?
But they do seem legitimately op, and I think that was their intention, just fun characters

jokkir

So I'm trying to 1v1 someone and the "Ok!" indicator is on for both of us and the game wont start. It's been like this for 10 minutes... should I just restart the game? I'm sure I'll get a disconnect from this :\

ec0ec0

Roll, roll, roll, roll. Everyone online rolls WAY TOO MUCH. Such a bad habit. Learn how to move without depending on the roll.

It is the fault of the game. Rolls give you intangibily whenever you want and, for that reason alone, it should be unsafe to roll. Rolls should be slower and have more recovery. Oh, wait!! we already had that in melee...

The defensive options are definitely one of the weaker points of the game (because of how great those are)

Valus

You have any tips? I'm really struggling trying to figure out how to play him. Short hops don't seem to get you far in this game when your opponents stay grounded and focus on rolls and running attacks for offense.

Falcon is legit beast man. If you're going for an aerial rush down approach it's best to use his NAir or BAir. His FAir and DAir have way too much landing lag so if they shield it you're in trouble. Falcon is fast, you can play mind games. Single short hop towards them to bait a grab or attack and use your second jump to leap behind them to BAir.

Falcon's grab -> down throw -> UAir combos are legit. Abuse his grab

Side B kills now. Don't be afraid to punish those trigger happy rollers. If they're 120% and above, chances are you can kill with it.

Grounded falcon kick should be used sporatically. It's distance is deceiving and can catch people offguard for an easy 12-14%, just don't use it too much or else they'll start seeing it coming. You should really never use it in the air unless you're damn sure it'll connect because its landing lag is horrible.

Once you get comfy with the Falcon, his punch is amazing. Turn around falcon punches are so great. They upped his DI while the punch is charging in the air. This means that you can control where he lands more than one would expect. Abuse it.

Finally, Falcon's offstage game is powerful. When you knock them off, you must chase after them. Go for the spike. If they're expecting it, bait the airdodge and BAir them into a stage spike instead. If you've got a hard read on their recovery, knee of justice them into the blastzone.

And most of all, don't forget to taunt after you get a spectacular KO. You deserve it.

But they do seem legitimately op, and I think that was their intention, just fun characters

I haven't really tried gunner or swordsman, but I don't find the brawler to be oped at all. A lot of his moves make him stall after, he has a bad recovery and a very short grab range. His fsmash and dsmash doesn't seem too useful as well

emb

I guess I just haven't seen them in the right hands yet. One of my friends (who is generally pretty even with me across any Smash game) was playing a lot of Brawler (he was thinking of maining him) and it didn't seem overwhelming. Hard to deal with, but not broken.

I also haven't seen anyone else anyone else rank any of the three among the strongest characters. But we'll see. Miis are definitely underexplored so far.
It is the fault of the game. Rolls give you intangibily whenever you want and, for that reason alone, it should be unsafe to roll. Rolls should be slower and have more recovery. Oh, wait!! we already had that in melee...

The defensive options are definitely one of the weaker points of the game (because of how great those are)
They're better (and I'd agree that's for the worse), but against most characters you can still punish it if you see it coming.

Beats

Rolls are incredibly strong in this iteration, so I can't really fault others for abusing them. If my opponent's rolling habits are predictable then it can be somewhat easy to punish, but otherwise the timing is strict to punish them on reaction since the vulnerability window is incredibly small. It becomes even more difficult or even impossible in some cases if your character doesn't have any fast options on the ground.

The game demands a lot from the player that has to respond to the roll. It just seems like a low risk/high reward maneuver.

Dr. Buni

Even though I agree it is a bad habit, I like rolling.

And then I'm having the hardest time facing the right way..........fucking circle pad.
You are having trouble facing the right way. You sure it is the circle pad's fault?

jorgejjvr

I haven't really tried gunner or swordsman, but I don't find the brawler to be oped at all. A lot of his moves make him stall after, he has a bad recovery and a very short grab range. His fsmash and dsmash doesn't seem too useful as well
Those kicks tho, they come out of nowhere and are super strong, they kill. Idk I just can't take the miis seriously, and ever since I've seen them they DO seem like they were meant as op fun characters to use, idk maybe it's just me

What is this roll cancel grab I hear about?

Also, someone teach me how to punish rolls.

Roll Cancelling:
Enter the following inputs, rapidly, in order: hard forward (run) -> Shield button -> Attack button. If you practice with palutena it's easy to spot it worked because you'll get the dash grab animation but you'll also see her roll spark and hear the roll noise :3
quick edit: I figure I should expand on this and note one important element: You can't do this while already running. If you're already dashing when you try this input it straight up won't work.

Punishing Rolls:
There's basically 3 'roll' options and each requires it's own punish.
1) Roll away - this one is pretty common as most people instinctively go away from danger and it's fairly easy to punish. If someone always rolls away, just over-extend your attacks or use a ranged attack. For example, when i want to grab a back-roller, I just run past where they are and grab about a roll's length beyond it and catch them every time :3
2) Roll past - now you're dealing with someone who's rolling with some intelligence. It's not intuitive to roll at your attacker but it puts you in the best position to punish anything you just rolled past and isn't vulnerable to over-extended attacks. On the other hand, almost anyone can punish this easily with a quick down smash (the majority of the cast hit on both sides of themselves when you down smash. While Lucina does too, I'd actually recommend punishing people rolling past you with up-smash on her as it's a better smash and the hitboxes on it are crazy :p )
3) Spot Dodge - techinically not a roll, though the inputs are similar (it's shield and DOWN for those who haven't discovered it.) Hardest one to deal with if done right. If someone spot dodges on you a lot you'll have to read when they'd spot dodge and either use a meaty/multi-hitting attack that'll still be hitting when they lose their invincibility OR just treat it like a counter and delay your attacks in general when you think they'll spot and punish when they come out of it. Spot dodges are a great way of dealing someone who's super grabby, as long as you can time it right :3

Just played Melee last night and I have to say, I'm spoiled by Smash 4's inputs. It felt like Melee was ignoring me half the time. I don't know if the gamecube controller demands a more rigorous input than I'm used to (I'm a very light touch as I like precision :3 ) or if Melee just lacks buffering but it just felt clunky and sticky after not playing it for a few months and going back (I've played more Project M than melee in the past year, I'd wager)

I'm not sure I feel that rolls need to be slower per se, but perhaps a short window where you can't roll again or your next roll is delayed if you try it after immediately rolling would be nice. That said, i'd be lying if I said I've really struggled with rollers much... most people are fairly predictable with their movements so I often just over-extend my attacks or delay to see what they'll do and punish accordingly :3

Those kicks tho, they come out of nowhere and are super strong, they kill. Idk I just can't take the miis seriously, and ever since I've seen them they DO seem like they were meant as op fun characters to use, idk maybe it's just me

I don't think it's much stronger than charizards side b, and it has a longer startup time

Even though I agree it is a bad habit, I like rolling.

You are having trouble facing the right way. You sure it is the circle pad's fault?

I had this trouble for a while too actually until I realised that there's an input window towards the end of the roll animation where it changes your facing: if you keep holding the direction you're rolling in up until near the end of the roll you'll come out of it facing that way instead of turning around, even if you let go during the last frames of the recovery animation afterwards. It's made me shoot poor rosalina's luma off in strange directions a few times and aim Palu's auto-recticule off stage by accident once or twice XD

ec0ec0

Another reason why people use rolls, aside from rolls being too good, is because sometimes rolls can be a decent momement option. There are not many movement options in smash 4. I personally think that rolls should only be usefull as an escape option.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Another reason why people use rolls, aside from rolls being too good, is because sometimes rolls can be a decent momement option. There are not many movement options in smash 4. I personally think that rolls should only be usefull as an escape option.
Rolls are punishable, I side B them with zard all the time

DaBoss! I was looking for you. It seems you play as Sheik...do you usually go black color? Did you play three matches against a Light Suit Samus today, named error? Because I played a DaBoss today on For Glory, fantastic matches, lost 2 and won 1!

Top Bottom