• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

All of a sudden online has been pretty laggy for me. Shame.

Also considering having Charizard as my actual secondary tho idk how much he complements Wario. He's so fun tho.
It's between him and ROB.

So who is everyone's absolute worst characters? I'm not talking about characters you just kinda suck with and would rather not use; I mean characters you literally cannot play for shit with, like it's not even worth trying. For me, that list looks something like:

- Charizard: I'm not one for big, slow characters, and I just can't use any of his moves properly. He just feels awkward to me. I felt the same way in Brawl.
- Duck Hunt: Sadly. :( I love the character but can't figure out their kill moves and how best to utilize their smashes, which have terrible KO power.
- Falco: As always, to me he's like a slower, more awkward Fox. I hate his weird high jumps with almost no horizontal movements, his slow blaster, and the fact that he throws his reflector. Still like Fox, but I can't stand using Falco for anything. Which is too bad, because he's cool as a character!
- Ganondorf: Again, big/slow characters are not for me. I'm okay with Bowser and King Dedede because of their specials and the way they move, but Ganondorf just feels horrible to even try to move around. I have a lot of respect for pro 'Dorf players.
- Lucario: I just don't understand this character. My best friend is amazing with him, but I can't ever seem to hit with his normals or airs and it always feels like his specials like Force Palm and whatever his down special is have less range than they should. Clearly that's not the case, though, because pro Lucario players are horribly difficult to deal with.
- Meta Knight: I was pretty crappy with him in Brawl, but he might very well be my absolute worst character in this one. That probably has to do with his nerfs, but I also just don't like the way he plays at all. His specials are awkward to use and his flurry attacks are weird.
- Rosalina & Luma: This is mainly because I haven't put in time to learning how exactly Luma works; I think I could be good with her once I do.
- Samus: She's always been way too floaty for me, her smashes lack killing power, and I absolutely *hate* her slow Morph Ball dodge. If only it was faster!
- Villager: Love the idea of the character, but he/she's just too niche and gimmicky for me to use effectively. I prefer characters with more straightforward strategies (which is ironic, since I'm maining Mega Man to good effect).
- Zelda: I'm really sad to have to put her on this list. She was my second-best in Brawl and I could absolutely wreck shit with her, but she seems to have been nerfed to hell here... or at least, I can't do anything with her anymore. Her up smash and Din's Fire both suck now, she has more ending lag on Nayru's Love, and it feels like she was made even slower than she already was. R.I.P. in peace Brawl Zelda. :(

I feel like I should maybe add Olimar/Alph to this list, but I somehow seem to do all right when I play them. I'm not sure how that makes any sense, but yeah.

You dislike all of my main characters lol

Dr. Buni

I pretty much like everything else about the character (favourite newcomer in concept even) but when you're used to to characters with reliable KO options using him is pretty jarring haha.

It's all a matter of putting time into him I suppose, but I'm already learning a lot of characters as is. Still plan to do it, of course. Mac is the only newcomer I'm using (Well, and Dark Pit) so I want to learn another one.
He and Villager are the only newcomers I am using. Well, Pac-Man too, but I can't say I am putting effort in getting better with him (yet).

Welp. Reached my 1000 smash battles milestone. I'm playing too much lol

Yeah I got the 300 KO challenge just by playing against 3 level 1 CPU opponents with 99 stock each and 2.0 smash modifier as Captain Falcon. It was basically a slower version of the multi man smash. Sure it was boring, but I don't think there's a faster way to reach that milestone and I don't often get a chance to play online.

Edit: I'm not good with hardly any characters other than Mega Man. I'm OK with Pac-Man, Villager, Samus, and Captain Falcon I suppose. I SD as Meta Knight all the time (using his side B instead of neutral or up B), so I guess he'd have to be my worst.

ffdgh

Welp. It's time to get a replacement battery. My 3ds barely lasts 10 minutes now even on the lowest brightness.
KuGsj.gif

zruben

Banned
So who is everyone's absolute worst characters? I'm not talking about characters you just kinda suck with and would rather not use; I mean characters you literally cannot play for shit with, like it's not even worth trying. For me, that list looks something like:

my list:
Rosalina and Luma: I just don't get it... and I constantly kill myself with her Up + B special
Metaknight: exactly same case that you. I never managed to master him in Brawl, and now I feel him even worse.
R.O.B: I just can't get right the timing of the hits, keeps messing up confusing specials.
Villager: I don't know how to get KO's other than the bowling ball smash, and I can't find myself comfortable with his air game.
Little Mac: I just don't know how to play with no aerial game :(

SPECIAL MENTION:
Pikachu: He has been my main since the N64 days... but I feel he is TOO nerfed on this game... I just don't manage to beat anyone under 150% now... all of his attacks feel extremely weak. I'm very sad about what they did to my little yellow friend :(

with every other character I at least manage to be "decent".

Dr. Buni

my list:
Rosalina and Luma: I just don't get it... and I constantly kill myself with her Up + B special
Metaknight: exactly same case that you. I never managed to master him in Brawl, and now I feel him even worse.
R.O.B: I just can't get right the timing of the hits, keeps messing up confusing specials.
Villager: I don't know how to get KO's other than the bowling ball smash, and I can't find myself comfortable with his air game.
Little Mac: I just don't know how to play with no aerial game :(

SPECIAL MENTION:
Pikachu: He has been my main since the N64 days... but I feel he is TOO nerfed on this game... I just don't manage to beat anyone under 150% now... all of his attacks feel extremely weak. I'm very sad about what they did to my little yellow friend :(

with every other character I at least manage to be "decent".
Pikachu is my mainest main since 64 too and it is really hard to kill with him in Smash 4 ): Racking up damage is not a problem, though... It is the same problem Bowser Jr. have.

Wait, there's more than one page? Sweet! I'm at like 33 out of 35. The final two I haven't done which are giving me trouble are doing a 10 hit combo in practice and getting three outfits. Anyone have any hints or tips for the former (easiest 10 hit combo)?

I just threw a Smart Bomb to get the combo.

Falawful

I played a guy named 'drowzy' earlier this morning in FG. Lost to his ROB as Falcon, then 2-stocked his Metaknight as Yoshi and pulled this awesome clutch victory against his Cap with Megaman.

Really great set of matches, and yet another case for why the Wii U version needs to repent for this one's sins and be able to add randoms. As a separate list from your universal friend code list, even. Metroid Prime Hunters did this, how long ago was that again? Come on.

Ryce

Wait, there's more than one page? Sweet! I'm at like 33 out of 35. The final two I haven't done which are giving me trouble are doing a 10 hit combo in practice and getting three outfits. Anyone have any hints or tips for the former (easiest 10 hit combo)?
Pick Ness with Bowser as your dummy, and set his damage to 999%. Grab him and keep on pummeling -- you'll be able to land 100+ hits before he breaks out of the combo.

Jado

Banned
I played the absolute most annoying player yesterday. He was using Shulk and doing nothing but jumps with sword slashes on the way back down. Non stop. Very irritating and quite effective, but I still bested him in most of our matches. Of course he bounces when he manages a win. I'm pretty sure he's had a lot of success with this bizarre, annoying tactic. I hate one-dimensional players who fall back on a repetitive gimmick to try to win, like suiciding Ganondorf. Like really, we're playing this game with a ton of characters and moves and this is all you're gonna do? Lame asses.

I main Game & Watch and finally met a G&W that handily outclassed me. He did a grab-to-Judgment move I never knew was possible. Couldn't avoid it, but luckily didn't get caught with a 9. Need to head into practice and figure that out, cuz sometimes I play entire matches like he has nothing but pure normal attacks.

I still think Little Mac is OP. It's no problem to beat scrubs who cheese with Mac; I manage that every day. But against someone of roughly equal overall skill in SSB who knows what they're doing? Wayyy more difficult than it should be. This one guy plays Mac, demolishes me. Switches to 3-4 diff characters, nice matches but fairly easy wins on my part. He knows the deal and switches back to Mac, destroys me. This isn't right.

Hey Spinosaurus, did you ever do that write up for Wario?

I had a busy night and couldn't check the thread.
I'll be able to help you out tomorrow, hopefully! Or tonight depending on how things go.

I'll only be able to tell you about his general playstyle though. Truth be told I still haven't figured out this character since I'm still playing him like in Brawl (plus an over reliance on the new bike which I probably should stop using too often lol) which isn't going very well with me. Still, I'll try my best.

Seiniyta

All of a sudden online has been pretty laggy for me. Shame.

Also considering having Charizard as my actual secondary tho idk how much he complements Wario. He's so fun tho.
It's between him and ROB.

Something I noticed when we played yesterday, which is odd since we had flawless matches days before that. Something's up with your network?

I also mained Zelda in Brawl and can't play her worth beans anymore. I was convinced she's just bad, but the very day I surmised that, I ended up fighting one that beat me in For Glory... I guess you can make her work but it seems like a really uphill battle.

I played against a really good Zelda once that just completely wrecked me. They had impeccable timing with Farore's Wind and I kept getting hit by it with no defense.

Of course, later I used Zelda and tried the same strats to not as good an effect. However I did manage to launch my opponent into a KO with Farore's Wind, and he was so impressed that he taunted when he came back to show his appreciation. At least that's what I think happened.

Jado

Banned
Stages with dark backgrounds really make it hard to see with dark costumes in this.

Two G&Ws, identical pure black color fighting on the Metroid stage. It was bad enough on bright stages trying to distinguish which was my character after a clash. The darkness made it confusing and difficult to see.

So now that we're a few weeks in, which character would you say is the most common online? Now that the Macs have fizzled out, everyone and their brother thinks they can use Captain Falcon. I see a fair amount of Greninja's too, but they're all so bad.

So now that we're a few weeks in, which character would you say is the most common online? Now that the Macs have fizzled out, everyone and their brother thinks they can use Captain Falcon. I see a fair amount of Greninja's too, but they're all so bad.

I see a lot of Links, Ikes and Greninjas. When I play against a new opponent and their first choice is Link, 90% of the time they're terrible. Then they either stay as Link or switch to Ike or Greninja. It's a weird pattern.

Monster Zero

Two G&Ws, identical pure black color fighting on the Metroid stage. It was bad enough on bright stages trying to distinguish which was my character after a clash. The darkness made it confusing and difficult to see.

So what your saying is, G&W is so black, he jumped in the air and got KO'd?

I see a lot of Links, Ikes and Greninjas. When I play against a new opponent and their first choice is Link, 90% of the time they're terrible. Then they either stay as Link or switch to Ike or Greninja. It's a weird pattern.
Ooh good call, I forgot link. A lot of those.

Greninja is who I see the most. Online is much more varied with their characters tho.

I used to see a lot of Charizard online as well but after I picked him I'm the only one I know that uses him. :lol He's damn hard tho so no wonder people dropped him.

Dr. Buni

Bowsers spamming down and side B are quite common. Link and Villager are common too (Link is so annoying to fight against in Smash 4).

Game has been pretty unplayable for me online, which is weird since my connection is really solid for every other online game. Either the dreaded slowdown lag or the worse delayed input lag, and you can't disconnect without being punished for it.

I had one good match and I really want to play like that again, but it's just too rare for me to enjoy it. No one gets to see my Dorfy combat. :c

I don't understand how some people in this thread said they lost 20 or 30 matches in a row and kept playing. I just lost 5 matches in a row and ragequit and now I think I'm done with the game until next week.

random25

I don't understand how some people in this thread said they lost 20 or 30 matches in a row and kept playing. I just lost 5 matches in a row and ragequit and now I think I'm done with the game until next week.

Well when the opponent is pretty good I'm pretty much getting obsessed at getting a win against him/her. Then you realize you already lost like 10 in a row. Then the same happens on the next opponent lol.

random25

Woah. How can you keep track of per character records in For Glory?

Here is my FG 1-on-1 record so far:

Battles: 842
Victories: 478
Losses: 364
Win Rate: 56.76%

Damn so many losses.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

- Charizard: I'm not one for big, slow characters, and I just can't use any of his moves properly. He just feels awkward to me. I felt the same way in Brawl.
- Duck Hunt: Sadly. :( I love the character but can't figure out their kill moves and how best to utilize their smashes, which have terrible KO power.
- Falco: As always, to me he's like a slower, more awkward Fox. I hate his weird high jumps with almost no horizontal movements, his slow blaster, and the fact that he throws his reflector. Still like Fox, but I can't stand using Falco for anything. Which is too bad, because he's cool as a character!
- Ganondorf: Again, big/slow characters are not for me. I'm okay with Bowser and King Dedede because of their specials and the way they move, but Ganondorf just feels horrible to even try to move around. I have a lot of respect for pro 'Dorf players.
- Lucario: I just don't understand this character. My best friend is amazing with him, but I can't ever seem to hit with his normals or airs and it always feels like his specials like Force Palm and whatever his down special is have less range than they should. Clearly that's not the case, though, because pro Lucario players are horribly difficult to deal with.
- Meta Knight: I was pretty crappy with him in Brawl, but he might very well be my absolute worst character in this one. That probably has to do with his nerfs, but I also just don't like the way he plays at all. His specials are awkward to use and his flurry attacks are weird.
- Rosalina & Luma: This is mainly because I haven't put in time to learning how exactly Luma works; I think I could be good with her once I do.
- Samus: She's always been way too floaty for me, her smashes lack killing power, and I absolutely *hate* her slow Morph Ball dodge. If only it was faster!
- Villager: Love the idea of the character, but he/she's just too niche and gimmicky for me to use effectively. I prefer characters with more straightforward strategies (which is ironic, since I'm maining Mega Man to good effect).
- Zelda: I'm really sad to have to put her on this list. She was my second-best in Brawl and I could absolutely wreck shit with her, but she seems to have been nerfed to hell here... or at least, I can't do anything with her anymore. Her up smash and Din's Fire both suck now, she has more ending lag on Nayru's Love, and it feels like she was made even slower than she already was. R.I.P. in peace Brawl Zelda. :(

I feel like I should maybe add Olimar/Alph to this list, but I somehow seem to do all right when I play them. I'm not sure how that makes any sense, but yeah.

Charizard, Zelda, and Duck Hunt are fast becoming my mains/alts, actually.

Zelda I was never able to do much with in Brawl, but she's had the secret best upgrade in the the whole game: her teleport is a goddamned killing machine. You do not evade people with it any more, you teleport at them with predjudice. Does great knockback, has huge hitbox, easily kills.

Duck Hunt has kinda replaced Olimar for me. I used to just assault people with Pikmin projectiles in Brawl, but Duck Hunt with his clay pigeon and can will keep people constantly under pressure, and his smash attacks are all amazing.

Charizard I've always loved, but hated that I had to deal with Squirtle/Ivysaur to work with him. He's a great combination of slow/heavy/powerful and surprising quickness from time to time. His side-b comes out super fast and covers so much distance it's obscene. Rock smash super armor is great for powering through attacks. I'm finding a lot of my Charizard strategy is just "absorb damage," his percent skyrockets due to his side/down specials but he does so much damage/knockback in the process that it's kind of a fair trade.

I've spent the last three days playing pretty much exclusively as Lucina and my god do I love this character. Never used Marth in the previous games, but something is really clicking with their play style in this game. I now some Marth mains have complained with the nerved range, but I guess I have to feel for that as I never played him. All I know is, I fucking love getting a good rhythm of poking with the sword and being able to counter consistently.

SMgamer83

Woah. How can you keep track of per character records in For Glory?

Here is my FG 1-on-1 record so far:

Battles: 842
Victories: 478
Losses: 364
Win Rate: 56.76%

Damn so many losses.
I'm currently sitting at a 153 wins and 16 losses....and I still feel like I have a lot of room to improve. 90.53% win rate.

Tom_Cody

To give a bit more detail on Palutena's usages...
Thanks so much for this. I'm a low-to-midlevel player who has spent the last 5 days using Palutena exclusively and this is exactly the sort of information I had been looking for to take my game to the next level. I had observed a lot of these move-properties but it is greatly helpful to see everything codified like this so I can consciously process it and deliberately build better tactics.

* If you do get into grab, then the down grab, as mentioned by a few folk, is your friend. After bouncing the opponent off the floor there's a few follow up options depending on their percent and how they move during their tumble... it's worth experimenting with all of them to see which is best for what situation: if they control back towards you then you can up smash, if they don't control you can often follow up with jump/short-hop neutral-air or even jump/short-hop up-air (which can kill at 120% or higher on most characters.) If they control away from you then you might need to jump and forward-air them or even chase and dash-attacking them as they land.
Minor question/comment:

I personally use up-grab at lower percentages and down-grab at higher percentages in order to keep my opponent at more optimal heights for follow-up attacks (up-grab will get them up higher). Do you have any opinions on this, or were you just describing down-grab more generally?

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention her down-air. Very strong spike but somewhat difficult timing. Luckily her Teleport makes it relatively easy to recover after using it.

Edit: I just saw your other post about KO moves. What do you see as problematic about her down-air?

Iryx

Where do you find those stats? Like how many wins/loses each character had?

You can find them in Vault->Records->Fighter Records. Then there is a tab to show online stats only.

My own stats for my most played chars in FG 1-1:
ROB 34-5
Fox 34-21
Rosalina 32-16
Dedede 23-14
Shulk 11-15
Shiek 9-12

ROB has a much better result than I thought I had, and seems I need to practice more Shulk and Shiek.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So far the only real bad match ups for Charizard I've seen have been luigi and bowser.

Rosilina I haven't done enough yet but feels 5-5 and at the worst 4-6 which isn't bad at all

Top Bottom