• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Tom_Cody

Yeah, a lot of her better down-throw follow ups require very rapid and precise follow ups and you have to predict how your opponent will react to being thrown if you want to connect them with any consistency :eek:

I'd practice the down-airs without fast-falling but I'm kind of hoping the wii-U version will fix that for me by virtue of having a second stick, so i'm not toooo worried about it. That said, it's a very cool thing to land that spike, especially off the ledge from a down throw into forward air, forward air, land then quickly hop and spike :3

Oh, random discovery I'd forgotten about: as far as I can tell, the odd angle that her Auto-Reticule is fired at means it can't really be reflected back at her properly. I've noticed several times during palutena mirrors, or against the likes of other characters with reflectors that I don't have to fear my own shots being bounced back at me :3
Thanks for this discussion btw.

Regarding Auto-Reticule, I had for sure noticed that. As long as you keep the right distance, you can really abuse the hell out of it in order to pressure your opponent into attacking. It's especially potent on Ω levels.

JoeInky

Yeah Smash 4 might fill a "I have no friends round at the moment but want to play some multiplayer smash" niche.

But even then there's PM netplay via dolphin, it never takes me that long to find someone to play with and it's usually more responsive than Smash 4's Netplay.

Jado

Banned
I'm pretty similar, at around a 60% win rate but played the ever-loving shit out of Brawl and the skills sort of translated over but the controls are the biggest hurdle for me (maybe for you too?).

I make so many mistakes simply by not pressing the button in the precise way the game wants me to. Here's to a more even-playing field in the Wii U version.

Yes, the slide pad continues to be a nuisance. It's imprecise enough that I attack the wrong way on the ground when I clearly pressed inputs to face the other way. And I can't 100% reliably get out the desired air attack (up, neutral, side) in the heat of the moment. It's actually so damn silly that I expect it and factor these errors into my gameplay.

I actually do too, just because I enjoy the characters in it more, mostly Wario and Snake. In Melee, I can't find a character I enjoy a lot to actually focus on (although I enjoy the mechanics a lot so I still play it regularly), and I really dislike PM Wario and Snake so that left a bitter taste. (I only use Diddy in PM anyway since I can't find anyone else I like enough so it gets boring lol)

My friends find Melee too slippery and PM too gimmicky, honestly. I can see why, since they don't play Smash often anyway and Brawl is simple enough for them now even if they grew up with 64/Melee, I guess.

Smash 4 is cool tho.

Thanks for this discussion btw.

Regarding Auto-Reticule, I had for sure noticed that. As long as you keep the right distance, you can really abuse the hell out of it in order to pressure your opponent into attacking. It's especially potent on Ω levels.

No worries, that's what forums are for: discussion :D
If you discover any awesome Palu-tech though, let us know :3
I'm somewhat also looking forward to the Wii-U because then I'll probably just play with customs on a lot (celestial firework is more fun than it should be allowed to be... I love abusing those invincibility frames :p )
It feels odd that they put all this work into customs and then basically disallowed it online vs anyone not on your friends list... you'd figure they'd have at least allowed them on 'for fun' or something :eek:

Yeah Smash 4 might fill a "I have no friends round at the moment but want to play some multiplayer smash" niche.

But even then there's PM netplay via dolphin, it never takes me that long to find someone to play with and it's usually more responsive than Smash 4's Netplay.
I'm not entirely convinced that comparing the 3DS wireless internet connection to the Wii-U's potentially wired (lan adaptor for the win!) connection is a great way to predict what the connections are likely going to be. That said, As long as I play people in europe my matches have been near lagless anyhoo :eek:

So do I. Can't say a lot about PM, but Melee is my least favorite game in the series.
I thought I liked Melee a lot more than it turns out I did after going back to it a few days ago. It just feels oddly clunky without the buffering and it seems more stubborn on it's inputs than PM or smash 4 do (I struggled to short-hop in my melee matches, often getting no reaction at all, while in PM the exact same input on the exact same pad gives me a short-hop every time :/ )
I'm not sure how well smash 4 will do with the groups I play with but I'm hoping it'll go down well and a lot seem to be wiling to give it a shot. I definitely appreciate the playable roster a lot more this time around, that's for sure XD

Ryce

That "get 5 hits in StreetPass" challenge is so stupid. I don't know anyone with a 3DS, and I'm not lugging mine around in public in the hope that I'll find five people. I wanted to avoid using hammers, but I guess I have no choice.

joelseph

That "get 5 hits in StreetPass" challenge is so stupid. I don't know anyone with a 3DS, and I'm not lugging mine around in public in the hope that I'll find five people. I wanted to avoid using hammers, but I guess I have no choice.

Dude the range is pretty big. If you are driving somewhere on the interstate bring the DS. You will get hits from passing cars.

Ryce

Dude the range is pretty big. If you are driving somewhere on the interstate bring the DS. You will get hits from passing cars.
Really? That's reassuring. I've had my 3DS for less than a year and really haven't bothered with any of the StreetPass stuff, but I didn't know it worked like that.

It felt really bad at first, but once I started to take the match slow it felt like it started to even out. I played a pretty good Yoshi the other day for about 15 matches.

He was dominating me at first but once I slowed down and took the match at a snails pace when it came to getting in I started winning. Basically once you get in on him stay on him HARD. His recovery is a bit better now too but for the most part you can meteor smash him pretty easy as well.

That's really how I've been winning a lot of his seemingly harder match ups no need to rush in when he doesn't have the greatest recovery on his attacks.
That makes me feel better, because I think Bowser and Charizard have very similar matchups. They have some different defining characteristics, but I don't think they affect the matchup chart much.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ugh... any tips on the walk 31 miles challenge.

That hardly seems like the kind of challenge to grind on. Do you plan to stop playing the game once you've completed the challenges? It's not like these challenges are locking away characters or stages, the ones that unlock due to play time and various durations you should really just unlock naturally. There's no rush, let it come when it comes.

Just go to a starbucks or something, StreetPass Relay Points should clear that for you pretty dang quick.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I think Smash 4 has the best gameplay out of the 4, and most of the problems with the 3DS version are probably going to be fixed in the Wii U version (lack of options, small fighters, laggy online, bad stage selection, poor controls, not enough side content). I only wish that more characters had meteor smashes (that don't require them to commit suicide), as those are my favorite way to get a KO. Toon Link's down air is really awful because it just cuts right through them, so there's barely any incentive to use it over the ledge anymore.

shaowebb

Easiest way to fill a street pass is go to an anime or game convention. Fun fact...I now have a street pass from Jesus Christ apparently :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That makes me feel better, because I think Bowser and Charizard have very similar matchups. They have some different defining characteristics, but I don't think they affect the matchup chart much.

Yeah they are very similar for the most part while being very different. Those differences give Bowser the edge in the Zard match up though imo. I need to start using Zards Up-B more often as a counter tool. It straight up kills past 120%

emb

I brought my 3DS to the LoZ symphony a couple of years ago; so many street passes. Go around two hundred. My friend and I were taking turns trying to clear the queue by just grabbing pink puzzle pieces.

Now I've been getting them from Smash tournaments. I've only tried it twice so far, but I got twenty hits the first time and ten hits the second (because I bothered to clear them out once at the first one.)

Edit: Actually I probably just have the 12 hits in Smash. I got a couple on launch day, and haven't played Street Smash for real since. I never do well enough in practice to feel like I'm ready.

Boogiepop

That hardly seems like the kind of challenge to grind on. Do you plan to stop playing the game once you've completed the challenges? It's not like these challenges are locking away characters or stages, the ones that unlock due to play time and various durations you should really just unlock naturally. There's no rush, let it come when it comes.

Just go to a starbucks or something, StreetPass Relay Points should clear that for you pretty dang quick.

In theory I totally could, but I've gone too far into OCD town on this game now to let up till I've "finished" it, and then it can be a nice little game to break out when I want to play some multiplayer. But for now, I just really want to be done with the challenge board and trophies since I'm so darn close. But Smash Running still has yet to unlock it. On the plus side though, I'm getting a decent number of "unlocked all of character x's custom moves" messages in the process!

I street passed like three or four people that had Smash Bros. yesterday and none of them bothered to turn on street smash. >_>
Heh, at first this kinda baffled me too until I looked at the UI and realised that it was basically hidden away on a tiny icon on the screen where most people won't even think to check it, or even notice it half the time I imagine :p

If there's one thing they've really done a terrible job with in this game it's the UI... as a demonstration I'll often hand people my 3DS and ask them to find the game mode 'trophy rush'. If they even find it at all, it usually takes well over 3 minutes :s

Yeah they are very similar for the most part while being very different. Those differences give Bowser the edge in the Zard match up though imo. I need to start using Zards Up-B more often as a counter tool. It straight up kills past 120%
Try jab->jab2->up b. This is near guaranteed on larger characters.
Timing can be strict and it's REALLY punishable if missed lol.

DaBoss

Seriously, screw whoever thought bouncing fish as down-b and burst grenade as side-b was a good idea. I think I've had it with Sheik (at least on the 3DS version). I'm so inconsistent with her and it feels like I can't control her properly at all.

Out of the characters I used, the only problem I have with inputs seems to be with Sheik. Puff needs a c-stick, but that's just the 3DS lacking a second stick.

Lunar15

Seriously, screw whoever thought bouncing fish as down-b and burst grenade as side-b was a good idea. I think I've had it with Sheik (at least on the 3DS version). I'm so inconsistent with her and it feels like I can't control her properly at all.

Out of the characters I used, the only problem I have with inputs seems to be with Sheik. Puff needs a c-stick, but that's just the 3DS lacking a second stick.

I'm not sure I get why that's an issue? I guess I'm just fine with it because bouncing fish is really similar to ZSS' down-b.

I preferred a lot of the gameplay changes that brawl and smash 4 implemented over melee. I always preffered the concept of analyzing and adapting to your opponents actions, which brawl puts a greater emphasis on, over memorization of long combo strings as the main strategy, which is what it feels like In melee and to an extent project m. Brawl is heavily defensive at times though, while melee to me goes too far the other way. I'm hoping get the meta game of smash 4 proves to be a happy medium. I will say though, it's much more fun to watch melee and project m matches vs brawl, speaking strictly from an audience perspective.

k_hop

I preferred a lot of the gameplay changes that brawl and smash 4 implemented over melee. I always preffered the concept of analyzing and adapting to your opponents actions, which brawl puts a greater emphasis on, over memorization of long combo strings as the main strategy, which is what it feels like In melee and to an extent project m. Brawl is heavily defensive at times though, while melee to me goes too far the other way. I'm hoping get the meta game of smash 4 proves to be a happy medium. I will say though, it's much more fun to watch melee and project m matches vs brawl, speaking strictly from an audience perspective.

Oki seems like a really, really big part of Smash 4--there's less true, unbreakable combos and more setups for putting yourself at a positioning advantage after a hit. The game makes that positioning advantage a big enough incentive to encourage aggression but not so much to keep there from being a robust defensive game, so it feels very well balanced in that sense.

NotLiquid

My For Glory stats:

Sonic - 39/25
Ness - 23/25
Zero Suit Samus - 9/6
Jigglypuff - 7/6
Peach - 6/7
Yoshi - 4/2

I need to step up my game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Question about unlocking characters etc:

Do you unlock every characters just by playing classic mode on any difficulty? I have been playing on standard difficulty, just to get a feel of all the different characters, and the flow of new challengers seems to have stopped.
Gannondorf coming in last

Do I need to do lots of other stuff, play on other difficulties etc to unlock things as well? Spoiler reply for others if necessary, personally I don't mind.

Guys Olimar is fun
He's fun
Why
Hmm I'll give it a shot, if anything I could always just swap to Dedede for zards harder match ups :p
It works on lighter character as well but there's a risk of them DI'ing out of them. I always make sure they're close enough and I pull it off most of the time. Love how much it catches people off guard online lol.

Are you up for Zard mirrors, btw?

Iryx

Question about unlocking characters etc:

Do you unlock every characters just by playing classic mode on any difficulty? I have been playing on standard difficulty, just to get a feel of all the different characters, and the flow of new challengers seems to have stopped.
Gannondorf coming in last

Do I need to do lots of other stuff, play on other difficulties etc to unlock things as well? Spoiler reply for others if necessary, personally I don't mind.

There are 3 characters that have unlock requirements outside classic, namely clear 100-man melee, collect 200 different throphies and collect 30 different pieces of equipment.

I'm not 100% sure on the difficulty requirements for classic, but I think one of them need 6.0 or higher with a specific character.
Bowser

Speaking of Melee, don't the graphics just look nasty now? I haven't played it in many many years, but this new game vastly improves the visual quality all around.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Melee, don't the graphics just look nasty now? I haven't played it in many many years, but this new game vastly improves the visual quality all around.

Can't say that they do.

DaBoss

I'm not sure I get why that's an issue? I guess I'm just fine with it because bouncing fish is really similar to ZSS' down-b.
ZSS doesn't have a side-b that will stop horizontal momentum and puts it in a helpless state. And people control bouncing fish's distance more often than ZSS's flip jump, so people would have the circle pad diagonal.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Guys Olimar is fun
He's fun
Why

It works on lighter character as well but there's a risk of them DI'ing out of them. I always make sure they're close enough and I pull it off most of the time. Love how much it catches people off guard online lol.

Are you up for Zard mirrors, btw?

Messing around with the Hyrule Warriors DLC. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow :p

emb

I don't prefer it myself, but I definitely respect where you're coming from with this.

People always say Melee is the harder game to play because 'techskill', but I think that's the opposite of correct. Most people can learn tech skill with practice. In Melee just playing fast can overwhelm players sometimes. In Brawl it feels like you have to be a lot more intelligent about how you handle the highly emphasized neutral game. It's something that's much harder to teach someone. I guess at a high level both are probably just as draining. I don't know, I'm bad lol.

Granted, reading and adaptation are important across the board.

But yeah, personally I feel like Melee hits the sweetspot there. Smash 64 goes too far with the combos, Melee's in the middle, and Brawl is towards the opposite extreme. The interplay between opponent's during combos is a lot more significant than 64; DI is stronger, can tech off walls, and probably some other things. I guess at this point Smash 4 slides in right between Melee and Brawl. But it still feels like there's this gap in between the first two and the latest two just in terms of play style. If we could get even more medium it'd probably be great.
Not really nasty. A little plain at times.

I think Smash 4 looks the best in the series by a good bit though. You have weird things like Smash 4 Ganon, or Sm4sh/Brawl Fox, but for the most part the visuals have improved or at least not really gotten worse.

Stylo

I don't prefer it myself, but I definitely respect where you're coming from with this.

People always say Melee is the harder game to play because 'techskill', but I think that's the opposite of correct. Most people can learn tech skill with practice. In Melee just playing fast can overwhelm players sometimes. In Brawl it feels like you have to be a lot more intelligent about how you handle the highly emphasized neutral game. It's something that's much harder to teach someone. I guess at a high level both are probably just as draining. I don't know, I'm bad lol.

Granted, reading and adaptation are important across the board.

But yeah, personally I feel like Melee hits the sweetspot there. Smash 64 goes too far with the combos, Melee's in the middle, and Brawl is towards the opposite extreme. The interplay between opponent's during combos is a lot more significant than 64; DI is stronger, can tech off walls, and probably some other things. I guess at this point Smash 4 slides in right between Melee and Brawl. But it still feels like there's this gap in between the first two and the latest two just in terms of play style. If we could get even more medium it'd probably be great.

In Brawl, it FEELS like you have to be smarter and take time to analyze the situation because it's slower, but it's not really the case. Brawl at any given time has less options to consider and at a slower pace. Melee has considerably more thrown at you and demands quicker thinking. I've been on both sides, so I'm not talking out of thin air. Most people say that because they struggle with the controls at a higher level to the point that it hinders their game. It's only once you pass a technical hump that the game does open up a lot more.

Top Bottom