• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

ceriop.png

Quick update on the tourney guys. Everything is set to start this upcoming Monday. However, this Sunday I'm going to post in this thread requesting that everyone signed up for the tournament PM me to show they remember they're partaking and to confirm they are going to go ahead with their matches. I'll have more specifics come Sunday, but it will be up to the two people who are to fight each other to coordinate a time within the three day time limit to play and message me with the results. I'm going to be pretty strict on this, as we have a lot of people who want to be in the tournament who are on the reserves list and I want them to get to play if we have some no shows.

If you need to be reminded who's on the list, check the original post here. Otherwise, I look forward to getting this tournament going. Hopefully this can be the beginning of a series of great tournaments! I'm hoping the Wii U will have some features that let replay sharing a possibility.

emb

I'm hoping the Wii U will have some features that let replay sharing a possibility.
I hope the Wii U has some feature to save as many replays as you want. I have a full 2 or 4 GB SD card just for my DS I use for Smash Bros, but for no reason they limit it to 64 replays. I want to preserve all the memories. ;_;

k1t4j

Hey gaf,

Lend me your expertise, I just got this game and it's my first Smash game.

Any beginner tips you might have? I played a few matches and unlocked 2 characters already in the process I tried all characters and particularly liked:

-Fox
-Sheik
-Sonic

Anyways any tips would be nice!

ffdgh

You can find them in Vault->Records->Fighter Records. Then there is a tab to show online stats only.

My own stats for my most played chars in FG 1-1:
ROB 34-5
Fox 34-21
Rosalina 32-16
Dedede 23-14
Shulk 11-15
Shiek 9-12

ROB has a much better result than I thought I had, and seems I need to practice more Shulk and Shiek.

Neat.

For glory is 79.21%
332 battles
263-69

Peach: 255-41
Villager: 89-11 (Mostly for fun tree trolling)
Rosalina: 27-7
Duck Hunt: 13-8 (mostly for fun can kicking)
WFT: 11-3
Doc: 10-1

I hope the Wii U has some feature to save as many replays as you want. I have a full 2 or 4 GB SD card just for my DS I use for Smash Bros, but for no reason they limit it to 64 replays. I want to preserve all the memories. ;_;
Totally with you. I feel like there will be at least some upgrade to the replay feature for Wii U, especially with Sakurai's recent tease of showing off the "true potential of Smash Bros" with the Wii U version.

Thanks so much for this. I'm a low-to-midlevel player who has spent the last 5 days using Palutena exclusively and this is exactly the sort of information I had been looking for to take my game to the next level. I had observed a lot of these move-properties but it is greatly helpful to see everything codified like this so I can consciously process it and deliberately build better tactics.

Minor question/comment:

I personally use up-grab at lower percentages and down-grab at higher percentages in order to keep my opponent at more optimal heights for follow-up attacks (up-grab will get them up higher). Do you have any opinions on this, or were you just describing down-grab more generally?

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention her down-air. Very strong spike but somewhat difficult timing. Luckily her Teleport makes it relatively easy to recover after using it.

Edit: I just saw your other post about KO moves. What do you see as problematic about her down-air?

I mainly just stick to down-throw on low percentages because you can often get a full neutral air on them which adds up to a lot of damage. Once the percentages get higher up-air and front-air follow-ups seem to be more optimal but at the end of the day it's best to just go with whatever works best for you. At very high percents, if you haven't staled it, the up-throw can actually kill off the top of the screen but it either requires your opponent to not Vector/DI at all or, better yet, influence their trajectory upwards expecting a down throw XD

As for her down air, there's nothing wrong with it really, I just have a bad habit of accidentally fast-falling to my death when attempting it off of the stage (grrr.) If you don't have that issue then spike away! :3

So who is everyone's absolute worst characters? I'm not talking about characters you just kinda suck with and would rather not use; I mean characters you literally cannot play for shit with, like it's not even worth trying. For me, that list looks something like:

- Charizard: I'm not one for big, slow characters, and I just can't use any of his moves properly. He just feels awkward to me. I felt the same way in Brawl.
- Duck Hunt: Sadly. :( I love the character but can't figure out their kill moves and how best to utilize their smashes, which have terrible KO power.
- Falco: As always, to me he's like a slower, more awkward Fox. I hate his weird high jumps with almost no horizontal movements, his slow blaster, and the fact that he throws his reflector. Still like Fox, but I can't stand using Falco for anything. Which is too bad, because he's cool as a character!
- Ganondorf: Again, big/slow characters are not for me. I'm okay with Bowser and King Dedede because of their specials and the way they move, but Ganondorf just feels horrible to even try to move around. I have a lot of respect for pro 'Dorf players.
- Lucario: I just don't understand this character. My best friend is amazing with him, but I can't ever seem to hit with his normals or airs and it always feels like his specials like Force Palm and whatever his down special is have less range than they should. Clearly that's not the case, though, because pro Lucario players are horribly difficult to deal with.
- Meta Knight: I was pretty crappy with him in Brawl, but he might very well be my absolute worst character in this one. That probably has to do with his nerfs, but I also just don't like the way he plays at all. His specials are awkward to use and his flurry attacks are weird.
- Rosalina & Luma: This is mainly because I haven't put in time to learning how exactly Luma works; I think I could be good with her once I do.
- Samus: She's always been way too floaty for me, her smashes lack killing power, and I absolutely *hate* her slow Morph Ball dodge. If only it was faster!
- Villager: Love the idea of the character, but he/she's just too niche and gimmicky for me to use effectively. I prefer characters with more straightforward strategies (which is ironic, since I'm maining Mega Man to good effect).
- Zelda: I'm really sad to have to put her on this list. She was my second-best in Brawl and I could absolutely wreck shit with her, but she seems to have been nerfed to hell here... or at least, I can't do anything with her anymore. Her up smash and Din's Fire both suck now, she has more ending lag on Nayru's Love, and it feels like she was made even slower than she already was. R.I.P. in peace Brawl Zelda. :(

I feel like I should maybe add Olimar/Alph to this list, but I somehow seem to do all right when I play them. I'm not sure how that makes any sense, but yeah.
I can't do shit with Falco, he was probably by far the hardest one to beat classic/all star with. I'm pretty bad with Greninja too, I just have no idea how to attack and opponent that knows what his attacks are.

So far the only real bad match ups for Charizard I've seen have been luigi and bowser.

Rosilina I haven't done enough yet but feels 5-5 and at the worst 4-6 which isn't bad at all
Curious on your reasoning for Luigi.
I think he's alright, personally. Spaced a Luigi online with Flamethrower and Rock Smashed his attempts to approach. Luigi has always been awful at approaching, and I mained him in Brawl for a while so I guess I just know the match up lol.

Mario, on the other hand. Dude is just safe as HELL and idk how to punish him lol.

Dr. Buni

Games and more > Vault > Records > Fighter records
You can find them in Vault->Records->Fighter Records. Then there is a tab to show online stats only.
Thank you both!

My stages for For Glory are:

Bowser Jr. 45 / 31
Samus 37 / 22
Robin 29 / 17
King Dedede 13 / 4
Villager 9 / 2
Pac-Man 6 / 13 (lol)

I should play more FG, but as I said in my previous post, I get demotivated easily.

JoeInky

So did anyone else massively lose interest in this other than me?

I don't think I've played the game in 2 weeks now, I'm just completely uninterested in it.

Still going to get the WiiU version just to see if it's any better when played with a proper controller, but it's definitely the most disappointing release of the year for me.

It's like, it's not absolutely terrible like Brawl was, but the game play doesn't reach the heights of Melee or Project M, so I just came out feeling indifferent to it.

I don't think I've ever lost interest in a smash bros. game this quickly, maybe it's just because it's on the 3DS.

mStudios

Character W-L

C. Falcon 114-60
Marth 107-93
Charizard 43-39
Ganondorf 39-23
ZSS 28-39

If we combine pit-blackpit he would be my 3rd most playable character.

I gues this makes Falcon my best character lol

SMgamer83

Mario 45-3
Ness 35-4
Bowser 34-4
ROB 15-2
Shiek 7-1
Kirby 5-1
Dr. Mario 4-1
DK 3-0
Luigi 2-0
Link 1-0
Fox 1-1
Jiggly 1-0

Total 153-16

Valus

Woah. How can you keep track of per character records in For Glory?

Here is my FG 1-on-1 record so far:

Battles: 842
Victories: 478
Losses: 364
Win Rate: 56.76%

Damn so many losses.

That's a lot of matches, wow. I thought I've been playing a lot but I'm only at like 370 matches.

BashNasty

Nice to be able to check my for glory stats. Here's my records:

Pac-Man: 2-8
Mega Man: 1-5
Toon Link: 3-7
Zelda: 2-2 (Hell yea!)
Duck Hunt: 1-0 (Awwwwwwww yea!)
Dr Mario: 3-11

All and all, some pretty solid stuff!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Curious on your reasoning for Luigi.
I think he's alright, personally. Spaced a Luigi online with Flamethrower and Rock Smashed his attempts to approach. Luigi has always been awful at approaching, and I mained him in Brawl for a while so I guess I just know the match up lol.

Mario, on the other hand. Dude is just safe as HELL and idk how to punish him lol.
My problem with the luigi I played was he was equally patient which ment he approached slowly, it was more so the fact once he got in he racked up damage super fast on Charizards fat ass. When I say bad though I only mean like 3-7 or 3.5-6.5.

Bowser is the real rough fight imo, though I learned a few new things so I need to play karst again sometime :p

Falawful

Character W-L for online:

Mega Man: 54-20
Yoshi: 35-6
Duck Hunt: 20-4
Cap Falcon: 17-8
ROB: 14-3

Win rate is 69.83%, 213-92. Would be higher if I stuck to just the above five characters but who cares. I love playing a variety of people to see if I can win with them anyway.

emb

Hey gaf,

Lend me your expertise, I just got this game and it's my first Smash game.

Any beginner tips you might have? I played a few matches and unlocked 2 characters already in the process I tried all characters and particularly liked:

-Fox
-Sheik
-Sonic

Anyways any tips would be nice!
Smash primer (not sure how much you know about the controls etc, so I'll lay it out even if you don't need it):
Percent makes them fly further. Build up their percent and try to knock them out of the stage. A does normal moves, B does special moves. Do different moves based on direction, button, and sometimes if you're in the air/on the ground/dashing.

You have:
L - Grab
R - Shield (press in air to air dodge. Press to the side or down while shielding to roll or dodge.)
X/Y - Jump (Can double jump)
A - Normals
-Jab (a when standing neutral)
-Dash attack (a while running)
-3 tilts (pushing A and pushing the stick lightly up, to the side, or down.)
-3 smashes (pushing A and smashing the stick up, to the side, or down at the same time.)
-5 aerials (pushing A in the air, with the stick either neutral, up, down, forward, or back)
B - Specials
-4 specials (push B + the stick either in neutral, up, down, or side)
Up B for most characters is a 'third jump' to come back to the stage.

I don't know much about Fox in this game, or Sonic at all. But,

Sheik:
Force opponent's to approach with needles. Try to charge them up if your opponent is staying away too much. Good for building up damage and keeping pressure on your opponent.

Be careful with side B. There's a lot of lag to it, and the pull in isn't strong enough to always keep them away from you. You can also hold the B button; you won't pull the pin on the grenade until you let it go.

Your down B, bouncing fish is a reasonably strong KO move. You can use it and still up B or jump afterwards. It's really good for catching people off guard. Some times you can (~) combo into it from a forward air or a throw. You can also chase them out off the stage with it, then try to hit them with a back air or up B on the way back.

Up B has a strong hit on the opening puff, then a weak hit (and wind) on the final puff. Because of the wind, you're often safe-ish when you land. The first hit is good for kills.

Normals: Almost all your aerials are fast, and have short lag at the end.

Forward air is great for combos. You can full hop double fair, or short hop fair repeatedly. They can often still jump out of it or air dodge or counterattack, so sometimes feign it and wait on their reaction. When you're comboing with sh fair, try to mix up landing and ftilting or grabbing.

Up air and back air can both be used in combos as well as kills. You can usually fish for the uair after a throw, but be weary of the air dodge. Bair can be used when you go off stage to either hit them out and edge guard, or hit them into the edge to try and knock them down. Nair comes out pretty fast and is pretty big, but doesn't hit all that hard.

Your forward tilt is a good combo move. Below 50 or 60, you can usually do ftilt->ftilt at least once, maybe a couple times. When they move out a bit, you can go for the grab, or if they go up and out a forward air can often connect. Not safe on shield unless you space it well iirc, so mix it up with grab.

Your jab combo is solid damage and starts fast. Pretty safe, just make sure to try not to do the full rapid jabs on a shield.

Dash attack can be good for catching people who roll away, or just people who are off guard in general.

Smashes are kinda situational. All of hers can be good. Fsmash in particular can sometimes catch spot dodges or air dodges near the ground since it hits twice and covers more ground since it moves. Up can get people trying to land.

Jado

Banned
Wow, I'm not even gonna post my stats, cept to say I'm around 50% win record (not great, but I initially started out with 20% win rate). You guys are beasts.

Are most of you long-time players or generally into fighting games? (edit: I started on SSB64 but spent the most time on Melee). I went from mostly solo-play Melee in 2002 to barely playing Brawl offline to a very cold intro to SSB4. It was almost like starting from scratch. I've been slowly improving but for playing my first online fighting game for the first time last week, it's been brutal sometimes. The unrelenting pace is what first caught me by surprise. Level 9 CPUs are nothing like that.

I'm okay with taking 10 losses to get one win against a clearly better opponent. It's a good way to improve and it feels a lot better to figure someone out and get a hard-earned win than an easy one. Wish I could you all and get my ass kicked, but I only get online at night: after work/commute, eating dinner and catching some TV at night (not a lot of time). I don't even know my Nintendo code...

How does a Bowser "spam" side B?
Keeps trying to grab you with it and missing, and not doing anything else. It's really funny when you see it actually.

Thank you both!

My stages for For Glory are:

Bowser Jr. 45 / 31
Samus 37 / 22
Robin 29 / 17
King Dedede 13 / 4
Villager 9 / 2
Pac-Man 6 / 13 (lol)

I should play more FG, but as I said in my previous post, I get demotivated easily.
Can you see by-character records?

Spinluck

So did anyone else massively lose interest in this other than me?

I don't think I've played the game in 2 weeks now, I'm just completely uninterested in it.

Still going to get the WiiU version just to see if it's any better when played with a proper controller, but it's definitely the most disappointing release of the year for me.

It's like, it's not absolutely terrible like Brawl was, but the game play doesn't reach the heights of Melee or Project M, so I just came out feeling indifferent to it.

I don't think I've ever lost interest in a smash bros. game this quickly, maybe it's just because it's on the 3DS.

It has its flaws for sure, but to me it is the most fun in the series. The only problem I have is that the game still favors defense more than offense, a few minor tweaks would fix that. Also there feels like they're no modes to play.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of Smash's same selection of modes? At the moment I don't really feel compelled to go back and play some of the older entries, the core game still feels fun.

The roster also craps on Melee's, shame the stage selection might be the worst in the series. I'm hoping that the Wii U version plays like a dream.

Boogiepop

Ugh... any tips on the
walk 31 miles
challenge. All I have left on the challenge board now is that,
the get all hats/outfits/moves (anyone have the totals for how many of those there are, btw?), the get all smash powers, the 50 hours in Smash mode, and the clear 100 man with all characters challenges
. I haven't used the gold hammers yet on the board, but I'm saving those for other ones. I've just been playing matches of Smash Run on the hope I will finally pass this dumb arbitrary milestone, but it's just not happening. Is there even a decent way to check progress on this one?

Also, I think I have like 11 trophies left. Trophy Rush is becoming pretty lean, getting plenty of runs where I get nothing/just equipment in terms of new stuff now.

Edit: Also, here's hoping at least some of this progress transfers over to the WiiU version. The idea of going through All Star and Classic with all the characters again sounds super unappealing.

Revven

How does a Bowser "spam" side B?

Sometimes when people say "spam", they usually mean the person will continually try to use the same move or use it as much as possible -- not necessarily consecutively. So, a Bowser "spamming" Side B would be something like: try to Side B at the start of the match to bring them close to the edge (if the player is ignorant about their influence on Side B) and then when near the edge use Side B whenever the opportunity rises (which in that player's mind is pretty much whenever you're close to them).

It's not spammable in the same sense as projectiles, it's just a manner of speaking that the person likes to continue to use the same move regardless of how successful they are with it.

It's why stale moves started to include decaying knockback in Brawl -- casuals like to spam the same "good" move over and over so to be rewarded for that without considering other options was considered "bad" by Sakurai. Even with the current stale moves system, though, people still spam anyway because of the type of people this game appeals to and advertises towards.

While in a competitive setting, stale moves really actively hurts character balance because some characters literally are forced to never use a move (even as a "get off me") if they want to use it to KO someone at a reasonable percentage.

My problem with the luigi I played was he was equally patient which ment he approached slowly, it was more so the fact once he got in he racked up damage super fast on Charizards fat ass. When I say bad though I only mean like 3-7 or 3.5-6.5.

Bowser is the real rough fight imo, though I learned a few new things so I need to play karst again sometime :p

How do you feel about Zard vs. Yoshi? I feel that's another really hard match-up for him, particularly because of Yoshi's eggs and his aerials having a lot more range than Zard + less landing lag than his.

Wow, I'm not even gonna post my stats, cept to say I'm around 50% win record (not great, but I initially started out with 20% win rate). You guys are beasts.

Are most of you long-time players or generally into fighting games? I went from mostly solo-play Melee in 2002 to barely playing Brawl offline to a very cold intro to SSB4. It was almost like starting from scratch. I've been slowly improving but for playing my first online fighting game for the first time last week, it's been brutal sometimes. The unrelenting pace is what first caught me by surprise. Level 9 CPUs are nothing like that.

I'm okay with taking 10 losses to get one win against a clearly better opponent. It's a good way to improve and it feels a lot better to figure someone out and get a hard-earned win than an easy one. Wish I could you all and get my ass kicked, but I only get online at night: after work/commute, eating dinner and catching some TV at night (not a lot of time). I don't even know my Nintendo code...

I'm pretty similar, at around a 60% win rate but played the ever-loving shit out of Brawl and the skills sort of translated over but the controls are the biggest hurdle for me (maybe for you too?).

I make so many mistakes simply by not pressing the button in the precise way the game wants me to. Here's to a more even-playing field in the Wii U version.

JoeInky

It has its flaws for sure, but to me it is the most fun in the series. The only problem I have is that the game still favors defense more than offense, a few minor tweaks would fix that. Also there feels like they're no modes to play.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of Smash's same selection of modes? At the moment I don't really feel compelled to go back and play some of the older entries, the core game still feels fun.

The roster also craps on Melee's, shame the stage selection might be the worst in the series. I'm hoping that the Wii U version plays like a dream.

For me it feels behind Melee and 64 and only slightly ahead of Brawl in terms of the fun factor.

It's definitely not me just getting tired of the modes or anything, I love default smash and I've been playing Project M almost every evening still.

I'm really hoping I'll just enjoy it more once I can play it on something that isn't shit, but I'm doubtful of that based on the mechanics.

It was so close to being the best in the series as well, but it feels like they fucked up a few too many important things and I've ended up with something I don't like playing or watching.

Tom_Cody

I mainly just stick to down-throw on low percentages because you can often get a full neutral air on them which adds up to a lot of damage. Once the percentages get higher up-air and front-air follow-ups seem to be more optimal but at the end of the day it's best to just go with whatever works best for you. At very high percents, if you haven't staled it, the up-throw can actually kill off the top of the screen but it either requires your opponent to not Vector/DI at all or, better yet, influence their trajectory upwards expecting a down throw XD
For some reason I have trouble with the timing/placement of he neutral-air, which is why I usually just send opponents higher up in order to go after them with up-air or just simply to better gauge where there are going in order to attack them on their way down or upon landing. Based on your comments I'm going to starting practicing it more.

As for her down air, there's nothing wrong with it really, I just have a bad habit of accidentally fast-falling to my death when attempting it off of the stage (grrr.) If you don't have that issue then spike away! :3
I can't claim to have mastered it yet, but it clearly has the potential to be a powerful tool. I just go for it whenever I get the chance. It's not like I'm competing in tournaments when I casually play, so I just always go for it in hopes of building up my ability to use it more reliably in the future.

Dr. Buni

Smash 4 easily tops my previously favorite title in the series (64) to me. Can't wait for the Wii U version (To think I wasn't even going to buy said version).

emb

For me it feels behind Melee and 64 and only slightly ahead of Brawl in terms of the fun factor.
This was pretty much what was expected, for the past few months in my eyes. It's not my favorite game in the series (not even close, especially if we consider the 3DS one its own game), but I'm just making the best and enjoying what I can out of it. I'll always love that other game more, but learning some of this one is fun too. I like all the Smash games enough to keep playing them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How do you feel about Zard vs. Yoshi? I feel that's another really hard match-up for him, particularly because of Yoshi's eggs and his aerials having a lot more range than Zard + less landing lag than his.

It felt really bad at first, but once I started to take the match slow it felt like it started to even out. I played a pretty good Yoshi the other day for about 15 matches.

He was dominating me at first but once I slowed down and took the match at a snails pace when it came to getting in I started winning. Basically once you get in on him stay on him HARD. His recovery is a bit better now too but for the most part you can meteor smash him pretty easy as well.

That's really how I've been winning a lot of his seemingly harder match ups no need to rush in when he doesn't have the greatest recovery on his attacks.

For some reason I have trouble with the timing/placement of he neutral-air, which is why I usually just send opponents higher up in order to go after them with up-air or just simply to better gauge where there are going in order to attack them on their way down or upon landing. Based on your comments I'm going to starting practicing it more.

I can't claim to have mastered it yet, but it clearly has the potential to be a powerful tool. I just go for it whenever I get the chance. It's not like I'm competing in tournaments when I casually play, so I just always go for it in hopes of building up my ability to use it more reliably in the future.

Yeah, a lot of her better down-throw follow ups require very rapid and precise follow ups and you have to predict how your opponent will react to being thrown if you want to connect them with any consistency :eek:

I'd practice the down-airs without fast-falling but I'm kind of hoping the wii-U version will fix that for me by virtue of having a second stick, so i'm not toooo worried about it. That said, it's a very cool thing to land that spike, especially off the ledge from a down throw into forward air, forward air, land then quickly hop and spike :3

Oh, random discovery I'd forgotten about: as far as I can tell, the odd angle that her Auto-Reticule is fired at means it can't really be reflected back at her properly. I've noticed several times during palutena mirrors, or against the likes of other characters with reflectors that I don't have to fear my own shots being bounced back at me :3

JoeInky

This was pretty much what was expected, for the past few months in my eyes. It's not my favorite game in the series (not even close, especially if we consider the 3DS one its own game), but I'm just making the best and enjoying what I can out of it. I'll always love that other game more, but learning some of this one is fun too. I like all the Smash games enough to keep playing them.

I don't know if I like this one enough to keep playing it alongside PM at the moment, I know for a fact that if I keep my Wii out, none of my friends are going to say "let's play Smash 4 instead of Project M".

Last time we didn't have a wii with PM installed we played Brawl and got through something like 2 stocks in the first game before we just turned it off and went out to play pool or something, I could see a similar thing happening with this.

emb

I don't know if I like this one enough to keep playing it alongside PM at the moment, I know for a fact that if I keep my Wii out, none of my friends are going to say "let's play Smash 4 instead of Project M".

Last time we didn't have a wii with PM installed we played Brawl and got through something like 2 stocks in the first game before we just turned it off and went out to play pool or something, I could see a similar thing happening with this.
Once this one's not new... yeah, I can't see us playing it much. Not out of complete disdain or anything, but the "why aren't we just playing Melee?" thing. If not that one, I'd probably vote for 64 and they'd probably want to go with PM. I like Brawl too, but it's hard to imagine getting together and the group all wanting to play it over the other options. Not sure where Smash 4 will fall along that spectrum long term.

Top Bottom