• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

I'd bet a lot that it's Olimar. I play him fairly often but I've only ever seen two or three out of the 500 or so matches I've player. Poor guy.
Take a character that already barely anyone cared much about to begin with (besides competitive players that discovered his tier potential), drastically change the core formula of the character, and have 30 FPS attacks, and I imagine you have a very obscure population of mains.

one_kill

Just four more challenges and I've got one hammer to spare. After I finish, all I'm going to be doing is trying to unlock custom moves.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'd bet a lot that it's Olimar. I play him fairly often but I've only ever seen two or three out of the 500 or so matches I've player. Poor guy.

I played him a lot in brawl, but it's easy to get annoyed by his unneeded nerfs while every basically every other character was buffed and just say screw it and play someone else.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What nerfs did he get that made so many people drop him? Is his new recovery just not that much better than even the tether?

New recovery can easily make you lose your pikmin, of which you have less of than before. It is a good really good recovery, but a lot of characters have really good recoveries while also being heavier and thus harder to outright kill.

Forward smash has less KO potential.

Grab has less range and less knockback. Or at least that's how it feels on the small screen.

White pikmin do far less damage when thrown.

Pikmin don't keep up as well, making mobility slower if you want a pikmin close enough to be used, especially with only 3 pikmin to work with.

He's not useless. It's just annoying he's not quite as good.

J@hranimo

Banned
I personally feel Olimar will still be decent, although not very popular due to his dominance in chaingrabs and smash attacks being nerfed.

I also feel he'll play better on the Wii U version. Olimar feels like he's barely able to work as a character in this version..

I've loved Olimar (okay, Alph now) since Brawl but I'm feeling the nerfs pretty hard. I agree though that I think he'll be at least a little better on Wii U. It's hard enough grappling with the controls as it is, but the small screen and low Pikmin fps aren't helping. Nerfs or not, I'm going to play him because he and his Pikmin are adorable.

In other news, it makes me sad how easily D3's Gordos can be reflected. They're good as a surprise move every now and then but I feel like half the time they get reflected without the opponent even intending to do so.

Masked Man

I said wow
In other news, it makes me sad how easily D3's Gordos can be reflected. They're good as a surprise move every now and then but I feel like half the time they get reflected without the opponent even intending to do so.

Yeah, I was surprised at how many people could just eat right through the Gordos and punish D3 instead. Then again, as a Lucas main from Brawl, I have a secret vendetta against all characters who chain-grabbed my boy, so I can't say I'm too upset. :p

It's pretty good that they can easilly be knocked back by pretty much anything because otherwise they control absurd amounts of space on their own due to how they move.

TheOGB

Banned
I was just informed that I had collected every Mii outfit... each fighter type only has 4 unlockable outfits? :/

I mean, the way they're unlocked maybe I shouldn't complain, but I was hoping for more (or better) options for the brawler. Matter of fact, why do they even have to be separate for each fighter type?
Why can't my Brawler wear the fancy suit to go with his top hat? :c

Akiller

1800334_350845231751381_7323417957313152340_n.jpg

FSLink

Banned
Haha that comic.

Also I edited my US save to have all custom moved thanks to the 3DS Powersaves device I have. Yay.

Because screw having to do that again after having to earn them for the JPN game.

Masked Man

I said wow
I'm convinced that the CF players on For Glory are the biggest dicks in the world, lol.

1) Spam dash grab
2) Land a KO
3) Spam taunt
4) Quit game after one round regardless of outcome

random25

Damn it that PK Thunder of Ness is too OP. And his dash and fair has ridiculous hit box. Kind of pissing me off when my attack is always getting out-prioritized and just couldn't land a hit especially when it works against others.

Cedric

Man, the thing I hate the most about Smash 4 is having a really intense, tight battle with an opponent on a first stock. You're both at high percentages, your opponent manages to land a K.O. move and then when you're down to your last stock you can never manage to land that final attack to get the other down to their last stock.

You end up getting two stocked, happens more often that I'd like to admit. That's all me though.

jorgejjvr

Man, the thing I hate the most about Smash 4 is having a really intense, tight battle with an opponent on a first stock. You're both at high percentages, your opponent manages to land a K.O. move and then when you're down to your last stock you can never manage to land that final attack to get the other down to their last stock.

You end up getting two stocked, happens more often that I'd like to admit. That's all me though.
Or they do more damage than they should before you take them off

Morning everyone!

After discussing it here and people changing my mind, I've started staying on against opponents that I'm beating a lot to give them a chance to learn stuff. That said, this new change in my play policy means I'm starting to notice a trend on 'For Glory' of people giving up in the middle of a fight :/

Just today after pummelling someone with Palutena for a bit (gotta get Palu those conquest points! :p,) I decided to let Lucina stretch her legs for a bit and she took my opponent's first stock without even taking a hit. My foe's response on respawning was to jump up and down a bit then run off the stage and Self-Destruct, which struck me as both odd and a bit disappointing.
They stayed around in the lobby though so I figured maybe they felt their sonic wasn't good enough and were getting their 'main' so we fought again and Bowser appeared... until I KO'ed him too with very little damage received after which the king of koopas stood stock still until i got bored and put him off the edge (shouldn't have been a disconnect as there was no lag spike nor the smash symbol showing up. Plus the computer that replaces a disconnect tends to walk about)

I don't hold it against people to leave after a match if they're not winning (personally, I tend to stick around to the bitter end unless there's lag. I'm more interested in opponents who can beat me anyhoo :3 ) but giving up mid-match is kinda bleh and I feel like it's disrespectful to your opponent not to give your all until the end :eek:

This is the worst when you're using characters with bad KO options like Junior.

Masked Man

I said wow
After discussing it here and people changing my mind, I've started staying on against opponents that I'm beating a lot to give them a chance to learn stuff. That said, this new change in my play policy means I'm starting to notice a trend on 'For Glory' of people giving up in the middle of a fight :/

Just today after pummelling someone with Palutena for a bit (gotta get Palu those conquest points! :p,) I decided to let Lucina stretch her legs for a bit and she took my opponent's first stock without even taking a hit. My foe's response on respawning was to jump up and down a bit then run off the stage and Self-Destruct, which struck me as both odd and a bit disappointing.
They stayed around in the lobby though so I figured maybe they felt their sonic wasn't good enough and were getting their 'main' so we fought again and Bowser appeared... until I KO'ed him too with very little damage received after which the king of koopas stood stock still until i got bored and put him off the edge (shouldn't have been a disconnect as there was no lag spike nor the smash symbol showing up. Plus the computer that replaces a disconnect tends to walk about)

I don't hold it against people to leave after a match if they're not winning (personally, I tend to stick around to the bitter end unless there's lag. I'm more interested in opponents who can beat me anyhoo :3 ) but giving up mid-match is kinda bleh and I feel like it's disrespectful to your opponent not to give your all until the end :eek:

That happened with this guy's Ganondorf earlier. He just started walking around and I was totally confused. We had gone through a number of characters, but he just gave up when Mac came out. Now that I know what happened, I'm a little irked, haha.

That happened with this guy's Ganondorf earlier. He just started walking around and I was totally confused. We had gone through a number of characters, but he just gave up when Mac came out. Now that I know what happened, I'm a little irked, haha.
I think I groan inwardly whenever I see litlte mac turn up now, even though some of them are hilariously bad and SD themselves off the end with their running punch half the time :3

It took me a bit to realise that disconnects get replaced with a level 3 NPC instead of just going to the menu too. The very sudden and noticable change in behavour is quite off-putting and I'm not sure why they did that outside of maybe hoping people wouldn't notice and would feel good about getting a win against an opponent that basically just walks about and randomly attacks on the rare occasion :p

Dr. Buni

I sigh every time I face a Little Mac online. The character isn't that hard to beat most of the time, but his moveset is so annoying, full of bullshit moves with super armor, not to mention the stupid KO punch. Ugh ): I am starting to dislike Mac, but in the end it isn't even the character's fault. Poor Mac.

NotLiquid

Is jiggs any good this game? I haven't heard much about her.

She's one of my tertiary mains and I really like her. She's not quite Melee level but her aerials are damn good and she has tremendous off stage capabilities. Her big problems seem to be speed and that exacerbates the fact that she's easily KO'd. Also pound got nerfed.

Gartooth

The more I play Donkey Kong the more I wish that he would've gotten a Bowser-like overhaul. Some of his changes are nice, but other times I'm cursing the game for his terrible air game (bair aside) and high lag on attacks.

RomanceDawn

The more I play Donkey Kong the more I wish that he would've gotten a Bowser-like overhaul. Some of his changes are nice, but other times I'm cursing the game for his terrible air game (bair aside) and high lag on attacks.

Yeah, Bair and Nair just about the only things you can do when approaching an opponent. Getting back on stage is a chore as well.

I still haven't found a use for mid air down B. I used it once in the air successfully for spike like thing but it's super unsafe in a short hop with the opponent already touching the ground.

Gartooth

Yeah, Bair and Nair just about the only things you can do when approaching an opponent. Getting back on stage is a chore as well.

I still haven't found a use for mid air down B. I used it once in the air successfully for spike like thing but it's super unsafe in a short hop with the opponent already touching the ground.

What do you think of his ground up B?

Hello.

Banned
Take a character that already barely anyone cared much about to begin with (besides competitive players that discovered his tier potential), drastically change the core formula of the character, and have 30 FPS attacks, and I imagine you have a very obscure population of mains.
It's funny because Olimar was literally a character in Brawl people used because of tiers, honestly. If not that, then just his potential.

Revven

What do you think of his ground up B?

It's better than it was in Brawl but the only use you have for it is as an out of shield option to get out of pressure and/or just to get someone off of you. It doesn't really KO because of how often you're going to use it but it's at least much more consistent as an OoS option than it was in Brawl.

Gartooth

It's better than it was in Brawl but the only use you have for it is as an out of shield option to get out of pressure and/or just to get someone off of you. It doesn't really KO because of how often you're going to use it but it's at least much more consistent as an OoS option than it was in Brawl.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from it with my own experiences. I hate how his neutral B takes so long to charge up, and then depreciates over time as well.

Codeblue

I've only fought one online with Ike and it was the most annoying match I've ever played.

Roll to edge, throw Pikmin, spot dodge approach, shield grab, roll to other side.

I still won, but it made me realize that there's camping, and then there's Olimar. Glad he doesn't get any use.

What do you all think is more disrespectful after an opponent loses a stock and suicides the second one out of rage?

1) Taunt all the way down, and then leave.
2) Taunt all the way down, and then stay to beat them again, taunting every time you hit them.

Masked Man

I said wow
I think I groan inwardly whenever I see litlte mac turn up now, even though some of them are hilariously bad and SD themselves off the end with their running punch half the time :3

I think that's only a US thing. I almost never run into Mac on JP For Glory--and when I do, it's usually an opponent I just beat with Mac who decides they want to use him against me in hopes of winning this time. (Unfortunately for them, they rarely do, haha.)

Top Bottom