• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

TheOGB

Banned
I was pretty sure I pressed X before picking a stage, but I guess not! Made for a funny match, though.

image.php
Indeed!

Just 26 more special moves left to unlock!

I can't wait to finally be done with single-player so that I can focus on the main reason I bought this game lol.

kunonabi

Just 26 more special moves left to unlock!

I can't wait to finally be done with single-player so that I can focus on the main reason I bought this game lol.

I'm still about a 100 away. Haven't been able to work on them since I've had to leave my 3DS on with the cpu fighting in smash to get the 50 hour challenge.

RagnarokX

Just encountered a weird glitch.

I was playing For Fun as Wendy. Player 2 was Ganondorf, but player 2 wasn't listed. Instead it listed player 1, player 3, and player 4 in that order, and then a CPU with my name and character but also with Little Mac's power meter.

Ricky 7

Just encountered a weird glitch.

I was playing For Fun as Wendy. Player 2 was Ganondorf, but player 2 wasn't listed. Instead it listed player 1, player 3, and player 4 in that order, and then a CPU with my name and character but also with Little Mac's power meter.

Yeah same thing happened to me before, I've even saved the replay of it.

Corgi

Banned
I'm excited to see what changes when people are able to play with controllers (and of course I'm excited to play with a controller myself!).

He's much slower than Mario now, probably hits harder though I haven't tested that or anything. But yeah I much prefer the plumber to the doc.
he's also much heavier. he's pretty much a heavy class lol. Which makes recovery hard. Don't think his cape gives him much forward momentum either.

Although it seems like his up b is similar to luigi, in which the sweet spot would do super damage.

i haven't had much success with his down + b. there is too much delay afterwards to up b to safety.

It's just quite frustrating when there are characters like rosalina that can pretty much recover from near the bottom of the screen :S

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member
I think it's amazing that this entire game manages to feel like such a polished and well-crafted package (well, that's how it comes across to me at the very least), at the same time as containing numerous niggly issues and "but why would anybody make that as a conscious design decision?" moments. Some people remain adamant that there should have only been one version of the game... I feel like it's just as easy to say that Smash should have been delayed to next year, there's no way to know what would have changed.

In general, I am very impressed with the quality of the "artificial intelligence" - the improvement from previous titles is apparent in many places. In particular, the progression of changing strategies between each level/intensity seems identifiable rather than based in CPU-trickery. For every decent technique that's added they probably get another exploitable flaw at the other end of the scale, though. It's not like anyone will ever say "I don't need to play against real people because these computers are so satisfying".

Anyway, the main reason I bring this up is because the AI during the "Race"/"Climb" sections of Smash Run is such a complete contrast to this - it's one of the most unintentionally incompetent oppositions I have ever seen in my years of gaming. There's probably a multitude of reasons why it ended up the way it did, but as it stands I'm just dumbfounded. The only time it ever provided a challenge was while I was still learning to play the mode.

Obviously they want to level the playing field if one person is using Ganondorf and the other is Sonic, but there should still be an expectation that the faster character has a greater chance of making it to the end. Hahaha, no! In one of my more recent games, I finished the exploration section with 350 points of speed boost, while one of my opponents had managed to collect the full 1000 speed points. Anyone who's spent time with Smash Run knows THAT SHIT BE FAST, YO.

Against a human opponent, it would have turned into a fight for second place. Instead, the phrase "slow and steady..." suddenly came to carry a tremendous amount of power. With the other characters charging straight into the Instant Death Spikes like they were long-lost lovers, I wound up in first place less than a third of the way into the cave. After that, I just kept holding right, avoided all of the obstacles by changing my vertical orientation when required... I left the cave while they were still divorcing their previous Instant Death Spike lovers and getting into new relationships. I crossed the finish line with a full ten seconds to spare.

This is a difficult situation to be in for a game designer - if you have a match with four human players who are all asexual towards the Instant Death Spikes, their reaction times and various external factors will ensure that the race doesn't get solely decided by character choice and collected speed. How are you supposed to replicate a realistic level of challenge with artificial machines?

I guess my initial analysis of the AI as "unintentionally incompetent" might have been off-base - we've simply wound up with a specific scenario where it's virtually impossible to simulate an opponent that is both challenging and beatable. Still, it was a bizarre scenario that certainly made an impression on me. And if anybody actually bothered to read all the way through my empty ramblings, then they have my respect.

Thorakai

I'm starting to come around to Smash Run. I hope Sakurai makes the right decision and adds new stage layouts and enemies as DLC.

Gleethor

Does "get 50 or more KO's in a single rival smash" not mean exactly what it sounds like? Because I just got 51 with bowser and did not unlock the challenge.

Thorakai

Does "get 50 or more KO's in a single rival smash" not mean exactly what it sounds like? Because I just got 51 with bowser and did not unlock the challenge.

Are you looking at the right results? The KOs from your rival gets subtracted from the KOs you got for your final result.

Seik

Banned
Bought the game today and the moment I started it I must have played something like 9 classic runs, just unlocked G&W.

Loving it so far, playing the 3DS version hypes me even more for the Wii U version. :D

Just got it. Is there seriously no way to remap the movement to the dpad instead of the circle pad? I checked the control options and it wasn't there. I really don't want to play with that awful circle pad. :/

Top Bottom