• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Man, they really were dicks when they made this game. I've been leaving the computer to fight each other in Smash mode for the 50 hour challenge. I usually make sure to let the match finish since I had a suspicion that ending the match would result in the time not counting. Well, I decided to go ahead and test this and a cancelled match does indeed not add to the counter. Just pathetic.

Do you get anything for the 50 hour challenge?

Man, they really were dicks when they made this game. I've been leaving the computer to fight each other in Smash mode for the 50 hour challenge. I usually make sure to let the match finish since I had a suspicion that ending the match would result in the time not counting. Well, I decided to go ahead and test this and a cancelled match does indeed not add to the counter. Just pathetic.

No cheating allowed :lol

Sorry, gotta go. Great games as always, Beats! Don't think I've seen you play Peach before, but she's coming along really nicely.

Also, sorry I took so long to start some of the matches. I was managing the tourney thread while playing.

Valus

That time I tried to bomb recover but just got spiked by my own bomb was really embarrassing. -_- Don't know what I was thinking.

And yeah man, it was frustrating but I'm glad you kept up with it because I *do* need to find an answer for those.

How are you getting gimped with Link against Ness?

Just want to say that the Smash community here has been awesome guys. Everyone being nice, helping each other out, giving constructive advice, etc. Reminds me of why I joined NeoGAF in the first place. Keep it up!

k_hop

I'm wondering if the standard bow is a suitable "get off me" option at the right range. People get wise to Link's customs so quickly that I wonder if they're even worth their weaknesses.

edit: Added you and I put up a room, Jrdev

one_kill

Doing the 10-man and 100-man challenge is tedious. If you don't choose to play again when you complete a session, you're booted out to the multi-man challenges menu instead of the fighter selection screen. The only way to go back to the fighter selection screen is to choose to play again and quit.

Played some for glory matches against 'Ari' (someone from gaf?) that were fairly fun. I think I won the first match with a hilarious reflect kill on doc mario at 0% or thereabouts (I've been experimenting with smacking people in the face with the shield arm hitbox on it then letting the field carry them away from me. Surprisingly more effective than I'd imagined :3 ) but from there it was mostly just me getting my rear kicked, including in a Zelda vs Zelda and Lucina vs Lucina. Good stuff and the first person to kick heck out my Zelda :p

Sadly we seemed to slowly gain lag spikes despite it intially starting out ok and by the time I got to our Palutena vs Peach match it reached unplayable (then again, it doesn't take much lag to make my Palutena unplayable... even the slightest input lag and I start failing her aerials, which I like to do just before I hit the ground. Instead they come out as forward tilts which I never normally use because they're a death sentence for me ) Would've liked to have hung around for more beatings and hopefully learned more but alas :(

That said, I'm always surprised how well most other people continue to play through lag, I don't know how they compensate for it because it totally destroys me o_O

Beats

Sorry, gotta go. Great games as always, Beats! Don't think I've seen you play Peach before, but she's coming along really nicely.

Also, sorry I took so long to start some of the matches. I was managing the tourney thread while playing.

Good games! Yeah, I only started using her recently. She's pretty fun to use!

Did you save any replays? Rolls are a very strong defensive tool, but the way you use them makes it easy for me to punish most of the time. Try not to use them after almost every move/attack. > . <

Also, it's no problem. I figured you were replying to posts in that thread lol.

Fiktion

Banned
That said, I'm always surprised how well most other people continue to play through lag, I don't know how they compensate for it because it totally destroys me o_O
I find lag helpful when the game just slows down, actually, since I can input frame specific commands and have them come out with the timing I want. It's like bullet time, or the way Mew2King sees Smash all the time.

The mechanical barrier is just too large for me otherwise.

I find lag helpful when the game just slows down, actually, since I can input frame specific commands and have them come out with the timing I want. It's like bullet time, or the way Mew2King sees Smash all the time.

The mechanical barrier is just too large for me otherwise.
I see where you're coming from, but I tend to rely more on prediction than reaction so not being able to see the arc of a jump clearly or the like because it's broken up by lag judders totally screws with me XD

Revven

Generally, what I do as a player is I watch my opponent more than I watch myself. When I played Smash more seriously at locals and stuff that's how I was able to do so well and such -- focusing my eyes on the opponent's character rather than mine since I (generally) already know what I'm doing based on what I'm pressing and etc. This really helps you also react to things accordingly, as well. Many things in this game are telegraphed (moves have good amount of start-up, at least ones For Glory players tend to spam) and give a lot of chance for you to react to and punish or counteract accordingly. (Though there are, of course, outliers).

Though on a 3DS the above is a little headache inducing to do since it's a smaller screen lol.

k_hop

Generally, what I do as a player is I watch my opponent more than I watch myself. When I played Smash more seriously at locals and stuff that's how I was able to do so well and such -- focusing my eyes on the opponent's character rather than mine since I (generally) already know what I'm doing based on what I'm pressing and etc. This really helps you also react to things accordingly, as well. Many things in this game are telegraphed (moves have good amount of start-up, at least ones For Glory players tend to spam) and give a lot of chance for you to react to and punish or counteract accordingly. (Though there are, of course, outliers).

Though on a 3DS the above is a little headache inducing to do since it's a smaller screen lol.

I can vouch for this from Street Fighter, haha

Cedric

GGs jorge! I find Mac to be one of the toughest opponents for Rosalina, I just can't get enough spacing to play with Luma. Someone also gotta tell me how to dodge Diddy's side B, if I'm not mistaken the grabbing part trumps shield, but if you dodge you get the kick in the face. Dodging in the opposite direction would require fast thinking and a lil bit of prediction.

jorgejjvr

GGs jorge! I find Mac to be one of the toughest opponents for Rosalina, I just can't get enough spacing to play with Luma. Someone also gotta tell me how to dodge Diddy's side B, if I'm not mistaken the grabbing part trumps shield, but if you dodge you get the kick in the face. Dodging in the opposite direction would require fast thinking and a lil bit of prediction.
I would also try to do my side b when you would do your down b to avoid my projectiles or when you throw Luma

I don't know about Smash 4, but I main Diddy in Project M, and you can only do the kick when you input the attack button at the start of the move, meaning you can see which one is coming since he can't really cancel the grab into a kick midway.

Though it does seem better in this game.

Cedric

I would also try to do my side b when you would do your down b to avoid my projectiles or when you throw Luma

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken you'd do the same with ROB. Throwing the spin thing to bait me into catching it then releasing the laser. That thing comes out fast!

I don't know about Smash 4, but I main Diddy in Project M, and you can only do the kick when you input the attack button at the start of the move, meaning you can see which one is coming since he can't really cancel the grab into a kick midway.

Didn't know that, I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks.

jorgejjvr

I've started playing Diddy on this game, and here when you press side b he stars the grab and if you don't do anything he grabs, but YES midway you can press b and he kicks, not just at the beginning but whenever you press b. You can cancel the grab into a kick midway

Neki

I just want one custom move for Link and I've been doing smash run and classic to get but no go, so annoying, ugh.

Dimmle

This is good advice. It's how I can compete against talented brawler players with far better reflexes than I.

Top Bottom