• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Rosalina's dash attack is way too ambiguous. Trying to neutral dodge it instead of shielding is basically impossible for me.

Donkey Kong has surprisingly decent air control and aerials. He might be the most entertaining heavy character.

Anyone who thinks Ganondorf is bad in this game needs to watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gQDujw8XQ
A 106 man tournament in Japan (aMSa was there I believe) and this Ganon took second place. Granted it's still early, but that's why we shouldn't write him off just yet.
tumblr_mod2zmuhGS1s8hevto2_500.gif

Seriously, though, I'd love Ganondorf to wreck shit up. Falcondorf move set and all.

Come on. That was easy. Kirby and Dedede. Totally set up for it and nobody jumped on it.

And you can't write anybody off in fighting games unless it's painfully obvious they won't be anything. People worried that Hakan would be a huge threat in SF4, and he's still entirely unused outside of occasional counter-picks, while Jigglypuff is seen as a joke character by casual players but went up to high tier in Melee. Just say you hate playing as them if it feels like they're a bad character.

DaBoss

Well that was dumb. Freaking circle pad and Dr. Mario's deceiving reach.

GGs Flux

Was a lot of fun. Sonic is really nice in this game.

Revven

Anyone claiming a character sucks right now is showing off his or her own ignorance.

I disagree. I'm not ignorant at all as I've been playing the games for many years and generally know what a successful character is like in Smash and this Ganondorf does not possess any of those traits that make a viable Smash Bros. character in a 1v1 setting.

Of course, it depends on who is at the top or what the top 10 are but Ganondorf is a very simple character that's easy to figure out and exploit his weaknesses. We might not see that right now but we definitely will in the coming months and the Ganondorf getting second place at the Japanese tournament is both because it's early and because in this early meta Ganondorf has some positives a bunch of other characters lack (mainly the ability to KO earlier than a lot of chars that struggle to KO below 150%).

That said, that positive will only last so long and as we get Gamecube controllers (or actual controllers in general) and become more familiar with how a character generally plays and their strongest options, I am fairly certain Ganondorf will fall off very quickly. He doesn't feel like, to me, what makes a good character.

Whereas other characters I can immediately pinpoint what makes them good from the onset and how good those things will continue to be in the long-term regardless of how the meta shapes up -- i.e Yoshi's aerials are all really safe, produce good damage, and have amazing coverage.

It's still early, I'm aware, but much of Ganondorf's traits aren't going to change very drastically six months from now (unless some amazing movement option gets discovered for him, which I find highly unlikely). Until he can do something that can help him circumvent his weaknesses, he will most certainly become a mediocre or just really bad character just like in Brawl.

Makai said:
Nope. VIPs just vote. It's pretty unscientific.

It wasn't just put to a vote, it was definitely based on tournament results and MU data factored in. I expect, because there's no backroom this time around, the tier list will form based on how each regions tournament results shape out + majors + nationals + MU data.

I don't think Palutena with defaults is super bad, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel like I was often putting in more work than many of my opponents for a win :p

Just started playing this game online yesterday and I think I'm 3-4/20 or something like that :(. I have no idea how to move around in this game or punish anything.
It's probably worth checking out a few youtube tutorials or reading smashboards for a quick round up of the basics :3
The most basic punish is shield grabbing. That is, shielding an attack (usually either a dash attack or a jumping attack just as they land) then grabbing them (you can grab straight from shield just by continuing to hold the shield button down while you press the attack button)
On most characters your best bet is to start off with tilts and jabs, trying to chain them for decent damage, until your opponent is at a decent % THEN go for the smashes :3
Don't expect to be super good at this right off the bad though ^.^;

It's still early, I'm aware, but much of Ganondorf's traits aren't going to change very drastically six months from now (unless some amazing movement option gets discovered for him, which I find highly unlikely).
He has a DACUS that seems to be safe.

Smashboards is down so I can't link to it, though.

Revven

He has a DACUS that seems to be safe.

Smashboards is down so I can't link to it, though.

Crashboards strikes again. I'm behind on discoveries. :p

I still kinda doubt a DACUS would take him really far, unless it's super amazing or on-par with his DACUS in PM. The best I can see coming out of it is setting up for his Uair at lower %s or just general high damage being done to people. It'd be a great "quick" KO option, though (not that Ganon needs more ways to KO... though...)

Cynosure

I should fight this anon tipster soon then

True he is rather shiT.

And you never added me...on anything.
legendtinahpkcg.gif

just found out right now you're a smashsis
YMTdm.gif

give me time to get decent with at least one other character. I'm pretty boring being only able to fight with just one
8be5ead6.gif

Kouriozan

Finally finished the "complete 100-man smash with every characters" in one session.
I swear this was the most boring and tedious thing I have ever done on 3DS, my hand hurts so much, thanks god you can easily coop that one on Wii U.

OceanBlue

It's probably worth checking out a few youtube tutorials or reading smashboards for a quick round up of the basics :3
The most basic punish is shield grabbing. That is, shielding an attack (usually either a dash attack or a jumping attack just as they land) then grabbing them (you can grab straight from shield just by continuing to hold the shield button down while you press the attack button)
On most characters your best bet is to start off with tilts and jabs, trying to chain them for decent damage, until your opponent is at a decent % THEN go for the smashes :3
Don't expect to be super good at this right off the bad though ^.^;

I know how to shield grab, but I feel like I'm so bad at everything else that I just die by making more mistakes.

Does anyone want to play me? I feel like I'll at least learn more playing people here than on For Glory. 3067-4759-4728

Nope. VIPs just vote. It's pretty unscientific.
It isn't scientific, but it is more than a VIP vote. It is reflection on results at high level play.

I disagree. I'm not ignorant at all as I've been playing the games for many years and generally know what a successful character is like in Smash and this Ganondorf does not possess any of those traits that make a viable Smash Bros. character in a 1v1 setting.

Of course, it depends on who is at the top or what the top 10 are but Ganondorf is a very simple character that's easy to figure out and exploit his weaknesses. We might not see that right now but we definitely will in the coming months and the Ganondorf getting second place at the Japanese tournament is both because it's early and because in this early meta Ganondorf has some positives a bunch of other characters lack (mainly the ability to KO earlier than a lot of chars that struggle to KO below 150%).

That said, that positive will only last so long and as we get Gamecube controllers (or actual controllers in general) and become more familiar with how a character generally plays and their strongest options, I am fairly certain Ganondorf will fall off very quickly. He doesn't feel like, to me, what makes a good character.

Whereas other characters I can immediately pinpoint what makes them good from the onset and how good those things will continue to be in the long-term regardless of how the meta shapes up -- i.e Yoshi's aerials are all really safe, produce good damage, and have amazing coverage.

It's still early, I'm aware, but much of Ganondorf's traits aren't going to change very drastically six months from now (unless some amazing movement option gets discovered for him, which I find highly unlikely). Until he can do something that can help him circumvent his weaknesses, he will most certainly become a mediocre or just really bad character just like in Brawl.

It wasn't just put to a vote, it was definitely based on tournament results and MU data factored in. I expect, because there's no backroom this time around, the tier list will form based on how each regions tournament results shape out + majors + nationals + MU data.
We don't know all the tech in the game yet, and movement options are still being explored. It needs more time. This is a different game.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Any good Greninja videos? I'm having difficulty with matchups against keepaway characters like Zelda, Samus and Lucario. The latter two can get into a rhythm with the charge shots that devastates me after I've been dominating them earlier on in the match. I find it hard to adjust when they kill my momentum.

Top Bottom