• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Jindrael

Banned
592-412 (58.96%)

I should really stop playing lucina and marth when I want to get a better winrate.
I LOVE their playstyle but I mess up way too much with them.

Overall I'm pretty content with my winrate, since this is my first Smash I've played for more than 3 hours, I started out at about 35% winrate but have since then been rising non-stop.
Winrate in the last 100 Matches is about ~70% right now.

As a Lucario player who basically never loses to Greninjas, that's all pretty bad advice. The down b is a terrible counter (just block and aura sphere), side B is really vulnerable to aura spheres, B gets beat by aura spheres after you're above like 70%, and to beat that up B tactic you just have to get the timing right and Lucario super kills you with aura sphere.

Aura sphere!

I would say that the Greninja's who I actually have trouble with basically never use special moves, instead focusing on aerials and cleverly times Smash attacks.

And I don't even know how to! Lol I just tried using him today, and had tons of one-and-dones.

I've found that a really effective tactic for greninja is to basically make the opponent forget about the specials until the last half of the match (or even later). I generally start with a lot of running, dodging, occasional grabbing, smash attacks and aerials and that works well enough. After a while they'll develop a sense of what I'm about to do. When I feel that they're starting to adapt to my playstyle, I'll suddenly start using side b and normal special and occasionally the counter. This usually throws them off guard and makes them overly defensive, at which point it gets pretty easy to chip away at them until the last KO.

I guess this advice works pretty well in general though. I beat a really obnoxious Bowser Jr. player with mario that way by disregarding my reflect cape and just fighting against his constant cannonballs and robo-bombs as well as I could. After he took out one stock and had me up to about 50% on the second I started using the cape. He was so used to projectile spamming at that point that he didn't know how to change up his fighting to deal with the cape and, suffice to say, he stopped playing after my comeback win.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just got this awesome run on Smash Run

Z0g7Qid.jpg

Tom_Cody

Just got this awesome run on Smash Run

Z0g7Qid.jpg
Wow, I've never gotten half that powered-up! Any general tips?

Also, what equipments / items do you have equipped on that character? I usually bring a mix of healing items (for obvious reasons), hammers and stars (to deal with enemy mobs), and a jet pack (to aid with mobility in a pinch).

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Wow, I've never gotten half that powered-up! Any general tips?

Also, what equipments / items do you have equipped on that character? I usually bring a mix of healing items (for obvious reasons), hammers and stars (to deal with enemy mobs), and a jet pack (to aid with mobility in a pinch).
I used to have an auto-healer, but I now go for pure attack, whatever's the highest. As for equips, everyone gets at least Spinning Blades and Brief Invincibility Lv 4. In this particular run, I got those enemies that are chained up, helping me boost my score a bit.

This is my highest, but I lost the final battle, resulting in a lowered score:
QaBVTJB.jpg

Cody_D165

Banned
Ok guys, post your For Glory Records. 1v1 only.

20 - 7

568 - 257 (68.84%)

Probably would be higher but I like to pick a lot of random characters I never play just for funsies. I don't particularly care about my win rate as much as learning strats for each character.

Tom_Cody

I used to have an auto-healer, but I now go for pure attack, whatever's the highest. As for equips, everyone gets at least Spinning Blades and Brief Invincibility Lv 4. In this particular run, I got those enemies that are chained up, helping me boost my score a bit.

This is my highest, but I lost the final battle, resulting in a lowered score:
QaBVTJB.jpg
Cool, thanks. I'll have to check out Spinning Blades. To be honest, I haven't experimented with any of the Smash Run's unique items (I have only equipped main items). I'll look forward to playing around with my options there.

I gather that Smash Run is somewhat unpopular but I personally enjoy popping into it every once in a while to mix things up.

How do you approach playing through a round? Do you just keep moving and killing enemies, hoping to come across chests along the way, or do you head for specific zones on the map?

Also, it's nice to see another Wii Fit Trainer.

Zing

Banned
I followed this thread religiously until the game was released and it turned into a matchmaking thread. I wish the two topics were separate. For most games it's fine, but not one as popular as this where it pushes all the interesting content aside. Many posts could even be handled in PMs.

darkmagus

YESS YESS YESSSSSS finally got all the custom moves! currently i have 682 thropies. the only things left are two challenges. beating Classic at 9.0 and to get all the headgear.

anyone has any tips about getting new headgear?

DaBoss

I followed this thread religiously until the game was released and it turned into a matchmaking thread. I wish the two topics were separate. For most games it's fine, but not one as popular as this where it pushes all the interesting content aside. Many posts could even be handled in PMs.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. At this stage (nearly 1 month from the game's release) what would you expect?

What do you want to talk about? No one is stopping you or anyone else from talking about something other than matches/matchmaking.
YESS YESS YESSSSSS finally got all the custom moves! currently i have 682 thropies. the only things left are two challenges. beating Classic at 9.0 and to get all the headgear.

anyone has any tips about getting new headgear?
Congrats.

Grind like you've never grinded before. Changing which modes you play may help.

There are 55 headgear in total, with 7 of them not being counted in the records.

So guys who are your favorite new comers? Greninja is my main but he's actually not my favorite. For me it goes:
Bowser Jr
Duck Hunt
Rosalina
Then its greninja. :)

Revven

I really, really wish there was For Fun 1v1, non-Omega stages, items (potentially, I'd be ok with them off).

You'll be able to set up a room for that on the Wii U version with its communities feature whenever it gets patched in (I hope this feature really doesn't take long to get patched in... like, at least give it to us in early December).

darkmagus

Congrats.

Grind like you've never grinded before. Changing which modes you play may help.

There are 55 headgear in total, with 7 of them not being counted in the records.

Thanks

So basically just keep grinding like now lol, since i got 42 headgears in the records it means that i missing 6 hats.

I really, really wish there was For Fun 1v1, non-Omega stages, items (potentially, I'd be ok with them off).
Yea I also wish there was an option for that. I live 1v1s since they tend to end quickly and I can play a few then quit and do what I gotta do. But god damn does it get boring only playing omega. What makes it worse is that my friends only play omega, if you pick a regular stage they just SD(even tho there's 4 of us. Like why ate you guys trying to play competitive?) At least they're okay with customs and final smashes

GAAAH. I don't know what's wrong with me but every single Lucina match I've played recently, I've been in the lead with one stock left, gone to chase someone offscreen by jumping from the edge and then after giving them some f-air love, pressed jump to get back only to be greeted with... nothing.
Ok, I think to myself, maybe i'm still in animation and press jump again. Nothing.
By this point I realise that somehow the game has interpreted me jumping off the ledge as me running off the ledge and jumping and it's eaten my 2nd jump but it's too late to up-B because I've fallen too far. Literally had 3 losses that way. I sometimes find myself wishing this game had the 'remaining airjumps' indicator that barabariball has or something so I can at least tell when input lag or whatever's causing it has stolen my jumps or to remind me that I've been hit out of my 2nd jump sometimes so I can't use it on the way back :p
Oddly, this is entirely specific to Lucina. Not had this problem with anyone else when chasing off-stage :eek:

Also in a similar vein, I had a SD with zelda by trying to use side-B near a ledge, which caused her to fire dinn's but also float off the edge of the platform with it, into helpless state, into the abyss. Great...

The more I play about, the more I think Robin's probably likely to be my strongest character as her tools just click with me in a strangely natural way: it's incredibly satisfying to short-hop past someone and spank them in the back of the head with neutral air XD
I do well with Roz too but I'm really, REALLY bad at actually KOing with her as I tend to use Luma more for harassment/taking hits than attempting kills (sending people to the blastzone is what Luma is really for :p ) unless I'm edge-guarding of course :3

Lucina feels great to play and when I'm not SDing in really stupid ways with her I tend to control most (though not all) matches I get in with her. If I had customs I'd definitely switch to dolphin jump over dolphin slash (the few times I've actually used dolphin slash, have resulted in some really horrific losses. People tend to have a knack of air-dodging it at the worst possible times and then the recovery is so bad that they can usually full-charge smash me when I float back down afterwards XD )
If you're playing Lucina and haven't discovered it already: walk, don't run. She has one of the highest walk speeds in the game and when you combine that with the fact her jab, forward-tilt and neutral air can clank, or in some cases even beat, most things in the game including projectiles then she's a daunting person to have coming at you. Just gotta get down the time for those slashes :3
I was extra delighted to see that it beats mario's troublesome slide attack, which normally gives me trouble on other characters due to it's low profile and surprisingly long-lasting hitboxes.

Palutena is super read heavy. If I read anything wrong then it's punishment time, but if I can get in my opponent's head she's actually quite powerful. Then again, I guess you could say several characters like Bowser, captain falcon, little mac and the like are better at it than her and less annoying to play as in some respects :p

Dude if this thread didn't have matchmaking posts it would be extra dead.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lucina SDs

That's kind of funny, because I've noticed that too. Even with Marth I don't remember ever having that happen.

Would like to practice some since I still have one more round for the Bash Sisters tournament (yay double elimination?) but it appears my 3DS has been temporarily stolen.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I didn't hammer it and I regret every moment of it. 200+ smash runs spent looking for one. ONE.

Smash Run isn't reliable to find Mii Hat. Trophy Rush is best way to get head. I got last two new hats from Trophy Rush.

I still have one more to go. Frog Hat, where are you!

Elija2

Is there a website or something that gives tips on how to play well as every character? I suck with characters like Palutena and Olimar but it might just be because I don't know how to use them.

That's kind of funny, because I've noticed that too. Even with Marth I don't remember ever having that happen.

Would like to practice some since I still have one more round for the Bash Sisters tournament (yay double elimination?) but it appears my 3DS has been temporarily stolen.

I'm glad it's not just me then ;D

edit:
Is there a website or something that gives tips on how to play well as every character? I suck with characters like Palutena and Olimar but it might just be because I don't know how to use them.
I tend to find out a lot in the character sections of smash-boards, though how informative they tend to be is often related to:
a) are they returning vet/clone of one?
b) are lots of people playing them?

So for Lucina, there's a decent amount of info, while for wii-fit trainer... well... let's just say wii-fit makes Palutena's section look positively busy :p

SoldnerKei

Smash Run isn't reliable to find Mii Hat. Trophy Rush is best way to get head. I got last two new hats from Trophy Rush.

I still have one more to go. Frog Hat, where are you!

what about equipment? I have been grinding smooth landers in SR & Classic since it was discovered, so far I only have shoes, and that would be great if I mained Mario's crew! glad they work for Shulk & Sheik thou

It's not just you, they're not great characters haha. People don't know how to fight them though which helps.

For Olimar, it helps me to think as if I'm actually playing a Pikmin game. Pester your opponent with Pikmin throw, running away and running up their damage. Then when they make themselves vulnerable, go in for grab to aerial combos and punish laggy moves with Smash attacks. His aerials are really good (bair is good for kills) and you can also trip up the opponent in your pestering strings by randomly running in for a quick rush down before backing off again.

Was playing some rounds with spino where all I did was lose and lag a lot, but I did realize something about Rosaluma: a possible counter-pick strat would be to be a character with a thin hitbox to squeeze between safe areas more easily.

emb

Smashboards has a (new?) guides section: http://smashboards.com/guides/categories/super-smash-bros-3ds-wii-u.5/

(Though it mostly seems to read like compiled forum posts. And really the forum sections have a lot of info across different threads that's worth reading. Can just get a bit tough to sort through.)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
what about equipment? I have been grinding smooth landers in SR & Classic since it was discovered, so far I only have shoes, and that would be great if I mained Mario's crew! glad they work for Shulk & Sheik thou

Shoe/Equipment aren't required to clear the challenge, but if you want to collect them for usage purpose, then Classic and Smash Run seem to best modes for it. Trophy Rush is good for it too since I got a lot of it.

SoldnerKei

Shoe/Equipment aren't required to clear the challenge, but if you want to collect them for usage purpose, then Classic and Smash Run seem to best modes for it. Trophy Rush is good for it too since I got a lot of it.

yeah, mostly for use, for that melee feel in smash 4 ~

I have been doing Smash Run, since it dosen't ask for coins, I guess I'll hit Trophy Rush when I get some more, thanks!

Top Bottom