• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Jado

Banned
Who do you all think has the most trouble KOing? From the characters I have spent time with, Pikachu stands out.

My two biggest issues with G&W (my main) are his slow roll being a hindrance in a roll-crazy online game, and getting KOs. It's comparatively easy with my second main, Duck Hunt. I get opponents to very high damage percentages, but struggle to finish them off. Maybe it's me but that's how I see it.

Pit and Dark Pit belong to this club. I mean yeah you can gimp people with the Orbitars but man, trying to actually knock someone out is absolute hell.
What about the side B?

LOL GOAT! GGS. I don't know what it is but big characters give me trouble, koopa, DK, they just tax me. I can keep up but the damage race but once I'm high % I get caught with a regular move that KO me.
You should spend fifty matches or so playing Bowser. People will beat you, and it will give you a better handle on his weaknesses. I felt like your Greninja play was thoroughly improved since our first match set. Still, there are some moves I think you are too attached to, like the Shadow Sneak. That has a ton of recovery if it whiffs. Not worth it in most situations. Bowser can kill at like 60% if he blocks it.

Also, I think you are too inclined to run away. There were a few times I made a big mistake, abd thought I was a goner, but you backed up and threw more shuriken.

My two biggest issues with G&W (my main) are his slow roll being a hindrance in a roll-crazy online game, and getting KOs. It's comparatively easy with my second main, Duck Hunt. I get opponents to very high damage percentages, but struggle to finish them off. Maybe it's me but that's how I see it.
What about dash canceled usmash? That kills well.

Jrs3000

You should spend fifty matches or so playing Bowser. People will beat you, and it will give you a better handle on his weaknesses. I felt like your Greninja play was thoroughly improved since our first match set. Still, there are some moves I think you are too attached to, like the Shadow Sneak. That has a ton of recovery if it whiffs. Not worth it in most situations. Bowser can kill at like 60% if he blocks it.

Also, I think you are too inclined to run away. There were a few times I made a big mistake, abd thought I was a goner, but you backed up and threw more shuriken.

Yeah, it's recovery blows. I try to use when I think I can get away with it but yeah I'll have to put it in the back of rare items. Hmm yeah I retreat when I feel like I'm at a disadvantage and restart my attack or different method. The delay online makes down+b hard to use, I have to read ahead versus reacting faster than your hits so that's another reason I pull out.

DaBoss

I am so done with this game, and not because of the game. It is because of the cheaply made Circle Pad. I can't do smash attacks at times. I can't throw people, so they eventually get released. The worst part is I don't feel a replacement circle pad or 3DS would be worth it considering that it could just happen again.

And if anyone wants to know what exactly is happening, I can post a Vine later with what is happening.
I'm not even sure how to manage that. I need to look that up and other advanced tactics. Thanks.
You input an Up-Smash attack on the circle pad during the dash. May be hard with the circle pad though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Back from work. Was able to test the Ganondorf Aerial L-canceling. I can confirm it works for every aerial attack except Fair.

Nair and Dair require you to double jump.

Uair and Bair can be L-canceled with one short jump instead of needing 2 jumps.

These attacks can be canceled into all his specials and standard attacks but the timing for Down special is super strict and I imagine the same applies for his down tilt. That said I can consistently cancel into his jab, kick, axe kick, side smash, up smash, Up B, Flame Choke, and Warlock Punch with ease.

This could be really useful especially with Flame Choke.

---------------------

As for that Bowser tech I think I know the trick now, but it is situational. According to Xadrin off of Gamefaqs:

"It works the same as it did in Brawl. Bowser's up B has certain frames where you can land without any lag. You just have to use up B when Bowser is at a certain height to make it so that he lands on those frames.

Keep using up B off the stage when Bowser is at the same height as the ledge, and you eventually will see it."

MisterHero

Finally got the game yesterday. ~200-300 trophies collected

The idea of Smash Run always sounded so lame having been explained over the internet for the past year. I can't play it enough though! They combined the best parts of 64/Melee's Classic and Brawl's Adventure modes and removed the BS. Brawl's sticker system was horrid.

SHAMROCK - what is your Win% in For Glory?

Smash Run only needed four small changes to be incredible:
1) Everyone is on a shared map for the first 5 minutes (and in the multi-man smash final events).
2) Online.
3) Everyone picks the final event together (% chance is given to each vote, evenly).
4) The final event battles are longer (5 minutes?).

I'm not even sure how to manage that. I need to look that up and other advanced tactics. Thanks.
While you are dashing, just up smash. Pretty simple. :)

I am so done with this game, and not because of the game. It is because of the cheaply made Circle Pad. I can't do smash attacks at times. I can't throw people, so they eventually get released. The worst part is I don't feel a replacement circle pad or 3DS would be worth it considering that it could just happen again.

And if anyone wants to know what exactly is happening, I can post a Vine later with what is happening.
Don't be like that. Have fun with us for the next two weeks. We all have these problems. Then the Wii U version will come, and we can all move on and kick the @#%! out of the newbies. ;-)

Back from work. Was able to test the Ganondorf Aerial L-canceling. I can confirm it works for every aerial attack except Fair.

Nair and Dair require you to double jump.

Uair and Bair can be L-canceled with one short jump instead of needing 2 jumps.

These attacks can be canceled into all his specials and standard attacks but the timing for Down special is super strict and I imagine the same applies for his down tilt. That said I can consistently cancel into his jab, kick, axe kick, side smash, up smash, Up B, Flame Choke, and Warlock Punch with ease.

This could be really useful especially with Flame Choke.

---------------------

As for that Bowser tech I think I know the trick now, but it is situational. According to Xadrin off of Gamefaqs:

"It works the same as it did in Brawl. Bowser's up B has certain frames where you can land without any lag. You just have to use up B when Bowser is at a certain height to make it so that he lands on those frames.

Keep using up B off the stage when Bowser is at the same height as the ledge, and you eventually will see it."
I need more info. :-(

Circle pad kills me as a Greninja player.
Quick Attack is also not fun to navigate with the circle pad.

I need to know the timing required for this Bowser Tech. Since I managed it once without going off a ledge. But if you want I could set up a match and show you all the L Canceling Ganondorf can do.
L Canceling isn't in the game. Do you mean autocanceling?

I definitely want to see it all, but I need to write a paper right now. :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
L Canceling isn't in the game. Do you mean autocanceling?

I definitely want to see it all, but I need to write a paper right now. :p

Well since the attacks cancel out the Landing Lag that normally occurs from his Aerials I call it L-canceling but if Autocancel is the term that is to be used then I can amend it to that.

emb

Good games Shamrock!

I think I'm gonna go out on that close one. Probably all down hill for me from there.

Thanks for playing. I really need to learn how to deal with PK Thunder. Needles work when we're both on the ground, but otherwise, I'm lost.
Play me, emb!
Still around?

Makai

Good games Shamrock!

I think I'm gonna go out on that close one. Probably all down hill for me from there.

Thanks for playing. I really need to learn how to deal with PK Thunder. Needles work when we're both on the ground, but otherwise, I'm lost.

Still around?
yeah. you make the room

Good games Shamrock!

Still around?

GGs man. Yea, Pkthunder is tough

Answer me Shamrock!

Well since the attacks cancel out the Landing Lag that normally occurs from his Aerials I call it L-canceling but if Autocancel is the term that is to be used then I can amend it to that.

I see where you are coming from.

The term "L-cancel" doesn't mean "Landing Lag cancel", or something like that. In the older games, you could push the "L" button on your controller to remove the landing lag on moves. So you were pushing "L" to cancel the lag, hence "L-canceling". In Smash 4, moves either cancel when you land, or they don't - you can't really affect it outside of how you chose to use those moves. Hence, autocanceling.

Answer me Shamrock!

Lol sorry man I didn't see. It's at 92% or so, but I haven't I play For Glory maybe once per week, and use other characters on it aside from Ness. I use it more for experimentation because the competition just isn't that high on it, and nobody is going to see your win loss record anyway since there is no online leaderboard.

Monster Zero

Answer me Shamrock!

The term "L-cancel" doesn't mean "Landing Lag cancel", or something like that. In the older games, you could push the "L" button on your controller to remove the landing lag on moves. So you were pushing "L" to cancel the lag, hence "L-canceling". In Smash 4, moves either cancel when you land, or they don't - you can't really affect it outside of how you chose to use those moves. Hence, autocanceling.

Feel like running a few matches?

Lol sorry man I didn't see. It's at 92% or so, but I haven't I play For Glory maybe once per week, and use other characters on it aside from Ness. I use it more for experimentation because the competition just isn't that high on it, and nobody is going to see your win loss record anyway since there is no online leaderboard.
What is your win/loss record? I need to build up my self-esteem more so I can play you again. Are you getting the Wii U version?

Feel like running a few matches?
It will have to be another time. I have to write a paper. I am just sitting here procrastinating like a bad student.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

So Autocanceling into other attacks it is. Well I will be up for around 3 hours so if you have time I can show you the autocancels later on Ganondorf. It's really cool to not see him go through LL.

Monster Zero

What is your win/loss record? I need to build up my self-esteem more so I can play you again. Are you getting the Wii U version?

It will have to be another time. I have to write a paper. I am just sitting here procrastinating like a bad student.

Its cool, I gotta be at work in half an hour and still have no pants on, things like this tend to work itself out.

So Autocanceling into other attacks it is. Well I will be up for around 3 hours so if you have time I can show you the autocancels later on Ganondorf. It's really cool to not see him go through LL.
Maybe in an hour or so, but don't set your schedule based on me. :)

It is always a great feeling to see your character becoming more fluid.

Are you getting the Wii U version?

Its cool, I gotta be at work in half an hour and still have no pants on, things like this tend to work itself out.
Hey, I love this game - I'm not going anywhere. ;-) At least, not until I get GG Xrd. Then I will probably take a Smash vacation for a month or so, depending on how fun GG Xrd is.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe in an hour or so, but don't set your schedule based on me. :)

It is always a great feeling to see your character becoming more fluid.

I think the Uair and Bair cancels will see lots of use when chasing with Flame Choke. Or even Flame Chain.

Edit: And you can autocancel into his grab too.

Top Bottom