• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

FSLink

Banned
Is there a compiled list of changes in the Wii U version somewhere?

Also, I am not sure how I feel about the Rosalina nerf. I fought a very skilled Rosalina for the first time last night and went even. I was able to take out Luma quickly quite often.

This is incredibly unsympathetic when I just lost another situational tool for no reason. If you really think the nerf was necessary, speak up.

The easy remedy would be to never let the opposing player have more influence over the grab than Bowser. At most, they can cancel out any momentum he is trying to assign.
You use Bowser so getting rid of Luma isn't too difficult compared to some other characters. Some characters like Megaman can struggle pretty badly against competent Rosalinas. It should be a bad matchup but it is still irritating that Luma came back so quickly after I get rid of it.

I do think the nerf to Bowsercides is unnecessary. It was a fun change from Brawl and it's a nice tool for him that wasn't overpowered in any way. Well tourneys will likely just count it as a win anyway at least...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Rosalina's nerf isn't really much of a nerf at all. Just a additional 5 seconds without the Luma. When Rosalina is already a solid character by herself.

This is incredibly unsympathetic when I just lost another situational tool for no reason. If you really think the nerf was necessary, speak up.

The easy remedy would be to never let the opposing player have more influence over the grab than Bowser. At most, they can cancel out any momentum he is trying to assign.
It's not really a lack of sympathy, more just saying that if touching a thorn hurts you then the best strategy is to not grab handfuls of thorns :3
I don't really have any real strong feelings on bowsercide personally, though it can get somewhat tiresome against low level bowsers who start spamming it as soon as you lose a stock with no clear understanding that I'll be the one in control of the direction because I have less % than them on the rare occassion that their predictable repetions connect :p This obviously isn't an issue against bowsers that know what they're doing and isn't a reason I'd make any changes to it personally :3

As for it being situational... I main Palutena. half her default moves/normals are situational and the situations for a good few of them might as well be 'never' :p
Was the damage from Bowsercide hitting the stage not worth it or something? It still works fine if you have a stock lead and unless I'm mistaken it's not like Bowser lacks for KO options outside of it, or have you been struggling to knock people out?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think the cause for concern is players can now essentially force a SD if Bowser happens to be winning and the opponent has a equal or lower percent. And we all know how crap Bowser is when it comes to Projectile based characters.

JoeInky

Is there a place a noob like me can get some help or tips? I haven't played a SSB since the GC and I have no idea what I'm doing lol

Smashboards should be your main resource for anything like this, they have a great forum for every character.

You can also ask questions here and you'll probably get an answer, I stick around the thread a lot even if I'm not too fussed about this game specifically and there's atleast 20 more people here that will be able to give you in depth information.

I think the cause for concern is players can now essentially force a SD if Bowser happens to be winning and the opponent has a equal or lower percent. And we all know how crap Bowser is when it comes to Projectile based characters.

I get that, but they can't make you use the bowercide grab in a situation where they could control it off the stage. Half of being good at a fighting game is knowing when NOT to use certain moves as much as what moves are worth using.
It's like how they stopped Ryu being able to safely cancel his dragon punch when it's blocked. Doesn't make the dragon punch suddenly useless, it just means you have to be a bit more intelligent/selective in your application of it and use the broader part of your moveset to bolster up the change in play.

There was no downside to landing bowsercide before at all, and now in the situation of 1 stock each, them with a percent lead where they can steer it off the stage AND they're a better SD character than you then suddenly it's maybe not the best option. It's not the end of the world, nor has landing the move outside of that specific situation suddenly been nullified either :3

And Meta Knight is looking to still be shit.
Gah. Sucks for his fans.

You use Bowser so getting rid of Luma isn't too difficult compared to some other characters. Some characters like Megaman can struggle pretty badly against competent Rosalinas. It should be a bad matchup but it is still irritating that Luma came back so quickly after I get rid of it.

I do think the nerf to Bowsercides is unnecessary. It was a fun change from Brawl and it's a nice tool for him that wasn't overpowered in any way. Well tourneys will likely just count it as a win anyway at least...
Can't you do something like hop past Luma and bair her off the stage?

Rosalina's nerf isn't really much of a nerf at all. Just a additional 5 seconds without the Luma. When Rosalina is already a solid character by herself.
5 seconds is a lot of time in a fighting game.

It's not really a lack of sympathy, more just saying that if touching a thorn hurts you then the best strategy is to not grab handfuls of thorns :3
I don't really have any real strong feelings on bowsercide personally, though it can get somewhat tiresome against low level bowsers who start spamming it as soon as you lose a stock with no clear understanding that I'll be the one in control of the direction because I have less % than them on the rare occassion that their predictable repetions connect :p This obviously isn't an issue against bowsers that know what they're doing and isn't a reason I'd make any changes to it personally :3

As for it being situational... I main Palutena. half her default moves/normals are situational and the situations for a good few of them might as well be 'never' :p
Was the damage from Bowsercide hitting the stage not worth it or something? It still works fine if you have a stock lead and unless I'm mistaken it's not like Bowser lacks for KO options outside of it, or have you been struggling to knock people out?
Bowser actually isn't that great at KOing people if they know his tricks and gimmicks. His fsmash is the most stuffable move in the game, usmash has a small hitbox, dsmash has weak knockback, bowser bomb and dair require an opponent to make a big mistake, and bair has a very small hitbox that is easily stuffed. I get most of my kills either from a really good read with bowser bomb, or fairing people off-stage, which usually kills at ~120%. That's not too bad, but it's quite high for a heavy character like Bowser. If they are good at dodging fairs and turtle a lot, I might even have to wait until 160%, when Fortress starts to kill.

What Bowser has is the capacity to potentially KO people at low % through a shield break, but no one should ever get their shield broken if they are paying attention and lag is good. You have to get hit by 3 attacks in a row during a full second and a half to lose the shield.

The Klaw (Bowsercide) does decent damage, but grabs do more once you get above 80% or so. It's mostly useful for the knockback and KO capacity. This is just not a good change, and I'm not a fan of nerfing characters this early on unless it is obviously completely broken or unintended. Like, Greninja can't cancel aerials into Shadow Sneak anymore apparently. Jr hit me with that stuff all day long when we played, but I still wouldn't change it because if Shadow Sneak is blocked, that's a dead Greninja. It was balanced before.

Palutena's specials are ass. We all know this, and I wish they weren't, since I wanted to main her in this game.

What really bothers me about the change is how big it is, though. This is changing a KO move into a non-KO move. Think about what a massive nerf that is to a character, and think about what that might mean for other characters. I appreciate things like frame data and hitboxes getting re-evaluated, but completely changing the rules surrounding a move for the worse is a massive nerf. The move is already dumbed down from Brawl.

I wouldn't say "crap", but it's a struggle.

I get that, but they can't make you use the bowercide grab in a situation where they could control it off the stage. Half of being good at a fighting game is knowing when NOT to use certain moves as much as what moves are worth using.
It's like how they stopped Ryu being able to safely cancel his dragon punch when it's blocked. Doesn't make the dragon punch suddenly useless, it just means you have to be a bit more intelligent/selective in your application of it and use the broader part of your moveset to bolster up the change in play.

There was no downside to landing bowsercide before at all, and now in the situation of 1 stock each, them with a percent lead where they can steer it off the stage AND they're a better SD character than you then suddenly it's maybe not the best option. It's not the end of the world, nor has landing the move outside of that specific situation suddenly been nullified either :3
I rarely, rarely Bowsercide, because if I land Klaw I am confident that I can get a lot of % as a follow-up.

There should not be a downside to hitting your opponent. That is a moronic notion.

Also, nearly every character is better in SD than Bowser. He is not a character that is good at getting lucky stray hits. This is a straight up nerf to him for no reason at all. "Don't use the move" is a ridiculous response to this situation.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think it just eliminates a useful tool for Bowser. One that is used in conjunction with his Airdodge Cancels.

-------------------

Part of me would really like to see Link get pushed back or have some kind of drawback from blocking Large Projectiles with his Shield. It's kinda dumb. Can negate full Samus Charge Shots by just crouching. Same thing with Aura Spheres at max power too.

5 seconds is a lot of time in a fighting game.

Not with her short and fast rolls. It's quite manageable if you know your opponent.

I think it just eliminates a useful tool for Bowser. One that is used in conjunction with his Airdodge Cancels.

-------------------

Part of me would really like to see Link get pushed back or have some kind of drawback from blocking Large Projectiles with his Shield. It's kinda dumb. Can negate full Samus Charge Shots by just crouching. Same thing with Aura Spheres at max power too.

Not with her short and fast rolls. It's quite manageable if you know your opponent.
If Link was in blockstun from using the shield, it would be a drawback in a lot of situations.

NO NERFS! Nerfing is almost always a bad policy. Buff other characters instead.

Beats

Not really a fan of nerfs this early tbh. `-` I mean if something is obviously broken then yes, but otherwise I think improving weaker characters would be better.

Bowser actually isn't that great at KOing people if they know his tricks and gimmicks. His fsmash is the most stuffable move in the game, usmash has a small hitbox, dsmash has weak knockback, bowser bomb and dair require an opponent to make a big mistake, and bair has a very small hitbox that is easily stuffed. I get most of my kills either from a really good read with bowser bomb, or fairing people off-stage, which usually kills at ~120%. That's not too bad, but it's quite high for a heavy character like Bowser. If they are good at dodging fairs and turtle a lot, I might even have to wait until 160%, when Fortress starts to kill.

What Bowser has is the capacity to potentially KO people at low % through a shield break, but no one should ever get their shield broken if they are paying attention and lag is good. You have to get hit by 3 attacks in a row during a full second and a half to lose the shield.

The Klaw (Bowsercide) does decent damage, but grabs do more once you get above 80% or so. It's mostly useful for the knockback and KO capacity. This is just not a good change, and I'm not a fan of nerfing characters this early on unless it is obviously completely broken or unintended. Like, Greninja can't cancel aerials into Shadow Sneak anymore apparently. Jr hit me with that stuff all day long when we played, but I still wouldn't change it because if Shadow Sneak is blocked, that's a dead Greninja. It was balanced before.

Palutena's specials are ass. We all know this, and I wish they weren't, since I wanted to main her in this game.

What really bothers me about the change is how big it is, though. This is changing a KO move into a non-KO move. Think about what a massive nerf that is to a character, and think about what that might mean for other characters. I appreciate things like frame data and hitboxes getting re-evaluated, but completely changing the rules surrounding a move for the worse is a massive nerf. The move is already dumbed down from Brawl.

I rarely, rarely Bowsercide, because if I land Klaw I am confident that I can get a lot of % as a follow-up.

There should not be a downside to hitting your opponent. That is a moronic notion.

Also, nearly every character is better in SD than Bowser. He is not a character that is good at getting lucky stray hits. This is a straight up nerf to him for no reason at all. "Don't use the move" is a ridiculous response to this situation.

Interesting to know. Keep in mind I didn't say "don't use the move" I said "don't use the move in the specific situations where it is bad to use it." Hence the 'dont grab thorns' analogy... I'm not telling you to never pick up plants in general :p In this case it sounds like if you are in the situation of 1 stock each, them with a % lead then it's still useable in the central areas of the stage where it's too far from the edge to control off (again, depending on the control amount they currently would get from it)

As for downsides on hit, it happens in some fighting games and it's not always a bad design. For example, if I land a grab on someone in UNIEL but afterwards they break the throw then I'll lose a metric ton of meter and they'll gain it. It's a punishment for grabbing someone who was ready for it/being predictable and despite the system I still get a lot of successful grabs :p Less agreeable is examples like Ibuki's slide in SSF4 where if not spaced perfectly the opponent will recover from hitstun (yes, hitstun, not blockstun :p ) before you finish the recovery animations and you can be punished. It doesn't render the move useless (if anything it's still very useful) but it does mean you have to be pretty careful with it's use if you plan on hitting with it :eek:

That all said, there's one thing I'm curious about: I assumed the Klaw was a command grab (aka unblockable) but I'm going to guess that it's maybe an attack grab instead? (aka blockable and only becomes a grab if not blocked)

Also, keep in mind that I'm not actually defending this change and I appreciate that for the moves it affect that it's no small change either, just saying that it's not like the move has been stripped off Bowser or made utterly useless :3

I didn't play much Brawl (I'm confident I've already played more Smash 4 on the 3DS alone than I did Brawl), so I never really played as Meta Knight much. Still never bothered with him in 4. Just out of curiosity, what did they change in this game to take him from a banned character in tournament Brawl to being so weak in this one?

Monster Zero

I didn't play much Brawl (I'm confident I've already played more Smash 4 on the 3DS alone than I did Brawl), so I never really played as Meta Knight much. Still never bothered with him in 4. Just out of curiosity, what did they change in this game to take him from a banned character in tournament Brawl to being so weak in this one?

Shuttle loop

JoeInky

I've been messing around with ledge-cancelled PK Fire recently, where you run up to a ledge and use PK fire just before you hit the edge, which causes you to slide off.

You can run to a ledge and use a PK fire in the opposite direction, which will put you at ledge level but facing the stage, allowing you to do pretty quick BAirs that don't require you to jump then fast fall, as well as being a very quick way of NAiring someone on the ledge.

It might also be a quicker way of trying to ledge trump but it's only slightly quicker, if there even is a difference at all.

Doesn't seem to be a way to cancel the move and fire the projectile unfortunately, and there's no differences for the custom variants.

Not really that useful, I only really use it to get the "PK Fire" line to play without using the move.

Can't be bothered checking right now if this was in the other games, but I'd never thought to try it that much until this game, the go to option for doing this has always been a backwards wavedash for me.

Beats

One thing that sticks out is that his hitboxes don't match up with the animations of his attacks. Attacks like his down-tilt will whiff even though it looks like it should be hitting. His range was nerfed pretty badly.

I'm not a metaknight player, but from what I gathered it was possibly removing his ability to glide (therefore decreasing his survivability considerably) and lopping off half the hitbox on his sword so its lost most of what reach it had :p
I don't know if they've changed his a bunch of his moves being transcendent or not admittedly.

In Brawl he beat out pretty much any move with his sword, had kill moves with instant start-up that were very safe, it was too difficult to hit him out of his tornado move, limited how characters could kill him due to having near infinite recovery, and so forth.

In 4 they took away flight (rendering Shuttle Loop a more normal recovery move) and slowed down his moves a bit. When the game first came out it was looking like Meta Knight would be a heavily nerfed character that was still viable.

That is... until a video was posted showing how small his hitboxes actually were.

emb

Most of his moves have more lag (even if you don't land, it takes at least twice as long to do a repeated up air). Tornado is smaller, has way less priority and mobility, (and I think less damage?). Almost all of his attacks also have deceptively small hitboxes now. Where before they would hit where ever you saw the sword, now they hit throughout around 3/4 of the visible sword. So if you hit opponents with the tips of your attacks, you just miss.

Also, that video of his new hitboxes...does anyone have a link? I can't find it.

Interesting to know. Keep in mind I didn't say "don't use the move" I said "don't use the move in the specific situations where it is bad to use it." Hence the 'dont grab thorns' analogy... I'm not telling you to never pick up plants in general :p In this case it sounds like if you are in the situation of 1 stock each, them with a % lead then it's still useable in the central areas of the stage where it's too far from the edge to control off (again, depending on the control amount they currently would get from it)

As for downsides on hit, it happens in some fighting games and it's not always a bad design. For example, if I land a grab on someone in UNIEL but afterwards they break the throw then I'll lose a metric ton of meter and they'll gain it. It's a punishment for grabbing someone who was ready for it/being predictable and despite the system I still get a lot of successful grabs :p Less agreeable is examples like Ibuki's slide in SSF4 where if not spaced perfectly the opponent will recover from hitstun (yes, hitstun, not blockstun :p ) before you finish the recovery animations and you can be punished. It doesn't render the move useless (if anything it's still very useful) but it does mean you have to be pretty careful with it's use if you plan on hitting with it :eek:

That all said, there's one thing I'm curious about: I assumed the Klaw was a command grab (aka unblockable) but I'm going to guess that it's maybe an attack grab instead? (aka blockable and only becomes a grab if not blocked)

Also, keep in mind that I'm not actually defending this change and I appreciate that for the moves it affect that it's no small change either, just saying that it's not like the move has been stripped off Bowser or made utterly useless :3
You should never, ever be punished for hitting your opponent unless it is some kind of character theme (take damage as they do, or something like that).

That UNIEL mechanic is horrendous, and the Ibuki example does not correlate to this situation. The entire point of a slide is to edge opponents out with spacing. Plus, this is a nerf, a change. You seem to keep leaving that part out. It's a bad change. Bowser players should be irate about their character getting nerfed one goddamn month into the game's release.

Normal grabs aren't techable, so there isn't much to the term "command grab" here. The only difference in Bowser's special is that it can hit people in the air (extremely difficult - I can't even do it consistently against the AI set to jump). Since it's not really worth doing, it's basically just an alternate grab option. They could replace Bowser's up throw follow-up with Klaw and it probably wouldn't make a difference, and would instead give him another special to use.

Right now, I already rarely use the Klaw. As people learn, everyone is becoming more airborne in their play, which means I am using fair and Fortress more. In most situations, going for a normal grab is preferable anyway. This is just a stupid and annoying change. It would be like nerfing Palutena's Reticule to not come out if the opponent shields on the startup. Yeah, it would still have uses, but what a stupid and unnecessary change. That's the core of this. I'm not saying the move can't ever be used, I'm saying this change is a bad idea.

JoeInky

The problem with the Koopa Klaw change is that it's just limiting the options Bowser has for no real reason.

A lot of the characters in the game are already completely railroaded in terms of their options, there's no need to do it even more.

Also, that video of his new hitboxes...does anyone have a link? I can't find it.

You should never, ever be punished for hitting your opponent unless it is some kind of character theme (take damage as they do, or something like that).

That UNIEL mechanic is horrendous, and the Ibuki example does not correlate to this situation. The entire point of a slide is to edge opponents out with spacing. Plus, this is a nerf, a change. You seem to keep leaving that part out. It's a bad change. Bowser players should be irate about their character getting nerfed one goddamn month into the game's release.

Normal grabs aren't techable, so there isn't much to the term "command grab" here. The only difference in Bowser's special is that it can hit people in the air (extremely difficult - I can't even do it consistently against the AI set to jump). Since it's not really worth doing, it's basically just an alternate grab option. They could replace Bowser's up throw follow-up with Klaw and it probably wouldn't make a difference, and would instead give him another special to use.

Right now, I already rarely use the Klaw. As people learn, everyone is becoming more airborne in their play, which means I am using fair and Fortress more. In most situations, going for a normal grab is preferable anyway. This is just a stupid and annoying change. It would be like nerfing Palutena's Reticule to not come out if the opponent shields on the startup. Yeah, it would still have uses, but what a stupid and unnecessary change. That's the core of this. I'm not saying the move can't ever be used, I'm saying this change is a bad idea.

This the vid you were after? :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlQLM0XkXW0
edit: wow, everyone leaped on linking that pretty quick XD

Ah! so it is a command throw (all the command throws I've seen so far in smash can also grab in the air, but I've not exactly been cataloging every instance of them :3 ) I mostly just use the term to help indicate that while it's not a standard grab, it's not an attack throw so it can't be shielded/blocked :p

I'm really just citing examples of this happening in other games, again, I'm not really defending the change.
It's silly and pretty much my fault, but, the only reason we got into this debate is because for some reason I felt the need to poke you for stating an aspect of the change as if people could somehow force you to use the bowsercide move in a situation where it would benefit them. I know you didn't mean it that way but I'm prone to my moments of pointless whimsy and felt the need to point out that nobody was forcing you to bowsercide in situations where it would now be a bad idea :p

Also not relevant but, in Palutena mirrors I often spot-dodge the lock on, where possible, just because I know it'll annoy my opponent so your theoretical situation isn't far off the reality in many ways :3

KirbyKid

A lot of people here are talking about things like they know what's up.

It's cool to be upset, but you really don't know anything yet. Anything about the current Smash 4 or the changes to come.

Keep playing. That's how you eventually know.

People saying Mega Man is bad and Palutena's specials are garbage. Psh.

Do your lab work. Create your mixups. Play smart.

It's cool to be upset, but you really don't know anything yet. Anything about the current Smash 4 or the changes to come.

Huh? Well, I don't think her specials are 'garbage' as shown by the fact I often mention little usages I've found for them, but the default ones outside of teleport and reflect do feel somewhat clunkier/annoying than they need to be :p Doesn't stop me pegging people with Auto-reticule constantly whenever they try to create space, nor occasionally countering little mac :3
I'm usually a bit more bothered by her f-tilt and d-tilt overlapping in function and both generally being outclassed by her stellar jab :p

I guess it could be worse... Palutena's neutral B default could've been heavenly light ;D

No, no one can force me to Klaw. I've been using it a lot less lately anyway. His normal grabs are better in most situations.

Oh, play smart. That's what we've all been forgetting.

What are some good tips for using bowser? Trying to improve my game with him
Get in your opponent's head. Recognize that he is a turtle that can breathe fire.

If you post a video, I'll analyze it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Recently found that Bowser can negate a variety of small projectiles with his standard jab. Works on Link, Toon Link, ZSS. Don't punch the bombs though.

Still testing on other Projectile characters.

Edit: Pretty anything but Bombs and lasers you can stop. Pretty sure you can't stop a large projectile though with your jab. This might make things better for approach as Bowser.

Don't get too reliant on Dair. You basically have to wait for your opponent to make a mistake and punish accordingly.

Yeah I rarely use that move or down b
No, no one can force me to Klaw. I've been using it a lot less lately anyway. His normal grabs are better in most situations.

Oh, play smart. That's what we've all been forgetting.

Get in your opponent's head. Recognize that he is a turtle that can breathe fire.

If you post a video, I'll analyze it.
Sadly I have no way of posting a vid

Yeah I rarely use that move or down b

Sadly I have no way of posting a vid
You don't own a phone with recording capabilities? That's what I used.

Alternatively, add my FC and PM me yours, and we can do Bowser mirrors. I think Magius and I both learned a lot from each other when we did ours.

You don't own a phone with recording capabilities? That's what I used.

Alternatively, add my FC and PM me yours, and we can do Bowser mirrors. I think Magius and I both learned a lot from each other when we did ours.
I could try recording on my phone. At work now so will try later tonight. I will pm you my code when I get off work as well. I'm on the west coast

luckily for the Bowser guys, actual tournaments will likely continue granting wins for Bowsercides :p

No. Tournaments host the game, but they don't fundamentally change the rules of the game. If there's a Bowsercide and the match goes to sudden death, the tournament will recognize the winner of sudden death as the winner. No respectable tournament is going to say "Well, Bowsercide totally should count as Bowser getting the win, so we will ignore sudden death and give the victory to the Bowser player." It's just not going to happen.

I could try recording on my phone. At work now so will try later tonight. I will pm you my code when I get off work as well. I'm on the west coast
Yeah, just:
1) Play some Bowser matches.
2) Save the replay of a match that you feel represents your typical Bowser play.
3) Run the replay while holding your phone super still. Skip the lower half of the 3DS. I just want the gameplay.

I'm in Colorado.

Gimping opponents with Leaf Shield is really satisfying. Gonna practice more of that lol.
There's a great video of it on TS Ninja's YT account I think.

That and the mega upper feel very good to land.
Weird fact: when I play Bowser, I find a ton of people who attack me from the air so that I shield -> fortress. When I play Mega Man, I never get the opportunity to shield -> utilt. :-(

luckily for the Bowser guys, actual tournaments will likely continue granting wins for Bowsercides :p
I want it to go *SMASH*, followed by "GAME!" I already do a fist pump every time I land his side B. :-/ Feels so damn satisfying.

JoeInky

No. Tournaments host the game, but they don't fundamentally change the rules of the game. If there's a Bowsercide and the match goes to sudden death, the tournament will recognize the winner of sudden death as the winner. No respectable tournament is going to say "Well, Bowsercide totally should count as Bowser getting the win, so we will ignore sudden death and give the victory to the Bowser player." It's just not going to happen.

No respectable tournament would use the Sudden Death round as a decider for anything more important than who gets to choose the stage in a tie-breaker round, actually.

Top Bottom