• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Good games, Jr.! I gotta get heading to bed, but awesome Greninja, yo. I gotta find out more ways to work around that water shuriken, never knew it could be so effective.

Jrs3000

Good games, Jr.! I gotta get heading to bed, but awesome Greninja, yo. I gotta find out more ways to work around that water shuriken, never knew it could be so effective.

GGS, they tainted him with this patch, can't cancel into shadow sneak no more from down+a and they nerfed his up+a. Sigh

I find Sonic equally annoying, but one tip would be to learn the timing on Homing Attack. If you block, Sonic just bounces off--completely safe, and can follow up from there with any number of options. I would recommend spot-dodging instead. Sonic will slam into the ground, leaving him open to be grabbed/pummeled/thrown or slammed with a counterattack (if you're fast enough).
Ah! Handy. I'll keep an eye out for that then :3
I noticed his homing attack also doesn't care about Palutena's counter as it hits too high to be smacked with the retaliatory attack :eek:

why the heck can Luma attack while Rosalina is in the process of being thrown? I was outright killed by Luma when I was about to throw her recently.
This is getting fixed in the patch.
Hell yes.
MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! IT'S STILL IN!!! >:D
...on a more serious note though, there's a small delay after the grab where luma won't react and I know mario's back-throw will swat luma out of the way before it recovers. It's probably worth looking at sonic's throws to see if any have a similar effect or just remember to jump/block immediately after the throw goes off (and don't waste time pummelling or you're just asking to get luma'd :p )
Alternatively, save your throws for when luma isn't nearby. Rosa can't recall luma when she's in throw state so she can't pull it back into range.

emb

Ah! Handy. I'll keep an eye out for that then :3
I noticed his homing attack also doesn't care about Palutena's counter as it hits too high to be smacked with the retaliatory attack :eek:

...on a more serious note though, there's a small delay after the grab where luma won't react and I know mario's back-throw will swat luma out of the way before it recovers. It's probably worth looking at sonic's throws to see if any have a similar effect or just remember to jump/block immediately after the throw goes off (and don't waste time pummelling or you're just asking to get luma'd :p )
Alternatively, save your throws for when luma isn't nearby. Rosa can't recall luma when she's in throw state so she can't pull it back into range.
Is it really still in?

I hope so. Even though I kinda hate Rosaluma, a second character seems kinda... not pointless, but it takes away a lot of appeal if they can't help you out of grabs.

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, it is still in, based on that video. That's ridiculous. Sonic doesn't have any throw that's fast enough where Luma won't hit him if he lands a grab or push it out of the way, even if you skip the pummeling. Even in that video, DK barely has time to do anything after a grab until luma hits him out of it.

A puppet character that can control their puppet during hit stun / throw state. Wow. Basically, I just can't ever grab her if Luma's next to her.

PK Gaming

Luma can still act while Rosalina's grabbed?

noted-ryan-the-office.gif

It's cool that they toned down some of the top tiers, but some of the others (Sonic, Diddy) pretty much escaped unscathed. I don't like the universal buffing of air dodges either. That said, many of the lesser characters (such as Shulk and Ike) got some legitimate boosts that make me happy. Marth/Lucina (who were solid characters) most certainly got boosted to the point where they're serious contenders in high level play.

:(

Masked Man

I said wow
Luma can still act while Rosalina's grabbed?

noted-ryan-the-office.gif

It's cool that they toned down some of the top tiers, but some of the others (Sonic, Diddy) pretty much escaped unscathed. I don't like the universal buffing of air dodges either. That said, many of the lesser characters (such as Shulk and Ike) got some legitimate boosts that make me happy. Marth/Lucina (who were solid characters) most certainly got boosted to the point where they're serious contenders in high level play.

But I thought we had confirmation of that change on the Wii U version...? Given the ridiculous combos Sonic and Diddy were capable of before, I'm amazed that they were barely touched. I'm excited that Shulk got some boosts, though. All this Xenoblade has got me hyped to really learn the character in Smash.

Oh dear god. I just got off For Glory against an opponent who would NOT stop rolling.
"but Gem, you say rollling is punishable."
Why yes! Yes I do, observant person in the crowd and that is still true, which is why I beat the snot out of them repeatedly, match after match after match... but they wouldn't stop rolling. No matter how often I punished them, no matter how many times I 2 stocked them, they. would. not. stop. rolling.
Eventually, somewhere down the line, I lost the will to even play and resorted to just standing there and when I was too bored to even press buttons or think my roll happy opponent finally won a match.

This got me to thinking that I needed to find a simple 'roll punisher' that involved minimal effort on my part to deal with rolly-polly opponents like this so I could show them the error of their ways without having to stay conscious through their snore-inducing gameplan and after a few matches it dawned on me... ZELDA!
Why is zelda great for this? for one I can just press 'B' to win. If they roll past me to do their down smash for the 1000th time? I don't even need to time it much, the B stays out long enough that it'll hit them and because it hits both sides i don't have to exert any energy to even turn around. When they get frustrated and go at a distance to try and pelt me I can still just B to reflect it back and if I feel cheeky, from time to time I can telefrag them with up-B.
Needless to say, my rolly-polly opponent didn't win any more matches once I put on my elf ears and began the crystal dance and I was happy because it stopped me feeling like my braincells were dying :3
Nonetheless, after a few matches of this my disgust at their inability to adapt/change eventually took over and I'm not one to farm wins so I called it a night :p

Morale of the story: If you're playing on FG, it's good to have a character that can punish rolls with minimal effort from you so if you come across a roll-obsessed opponent you don't have to waste too much energy punishing them when they show that their ability to learn is glacial/non-existant :D
From this day forth, Zelda is my "stop goddamn rolling" character :3

Bowser is also one of the best roll punishers out there. Against roll-spammers, I will run right up to them and Fortress.

Did they spot dodge? They get hit!
Did they roll back? Push forward, and they barely get hit!
Did they roll forward? They get hit!

Bowser is also one of the best roll punishers out there. Against roll-spammers, I will run right up to them and Fortress.

Did they spot dodge? They get hit!
Did they roll back? Push forward, and they barely get hit!
Did they roll forward? They get hit!

Definitely! though this particular offender doesn't even need you to run up to them, they rolled everywhere. It's almost like they didn't know they could walk/run :p
Miles apart and they wanted to approach? they'd roll all the way over to you.

Sadly I don't play Bowser so while he did pop into my head when thinking of characters I could jump on to save my sanity, he wasn't really an option I would personally take. He's a perfectly reasonable choice for the job too though :D

ALRIGHT SERIOUSLY!

What the fuck is up with Bowser Jr's S-Smash? Why does the opponent fall out of it 75% of the time? I am NAILING people with it, only to have them wriggle out of it before the final hit connects!
Bowser Jr's F-Smash is poorly designed. Try it on CPUs that know how to vector every frame (even stuff like multi-man smash), it is impossible to land in those cases.

Moonlight

Banned
I wish Robin were better at punishing rolls. Down Smash is good enough when they're trying to roll behind you or whatever, but even when you correctly read in most other situations, there's not much you can do with the terribad grab and the dash attack.

Marth/Lucina (who were solid characters) most certainly got boosted to the point where they're serious contenders in high level play.

:(
RIP. :(

goldenpp72

Anyone willing to play with me? I'd consider myself of moderate skill, don't really care how we play (1 on 1, 2 on 2, FFA, items or not, etc)

Friend code is: 5241-2262-5176

I'll also have the U game when it's out so if you're looking for someone who will play that routinely too, well ya know :p

RiggyRob

Is there anything worse than a defensive Mac on For Glory?

I mean, what's the point of picking the strongest character on the ground if you're going to stay at the other side of the stage and stall for time?

emb

Is there anything worse than a defensive Mac on For Glory?

I mean, what's the point of picking the strongest character on the ground if you're going to stay at the other side of the stage and stall for time?
Did it work? If so, that's probably the point.

I could see Little Mac playing a decent keep away, with rolls as quick as his. I've never had one try it on me though.

Jado

Banned
I can't update the game. The eshop only displays promotional videos, no updates.

I had to find a QR code to go directly to the page. How can the 3DS UI be so profoundly bad?

The Wii U's UI isn't much better. I haven't been able to find or download Hyrule Warriors DLC anywhere. For everything else, it isn't clear if a game or update is already downloading unless you press Home and and check the somewhat hidden Download Manager.

RiggyRob

Did it work? If so, that's probably the point.

I could see Little Mac playing a decent keep away, with rolls as quick as his. I've never had one try it on me though.

No, I beat him with 30 seconds left, so that just made it weirder. Finally managed to time Sheik's Bouncing Fish with where his Jolt Haymaker was going to land and he couldn't recover again.

DooD1234

Karsticles, you're a well known bowser player here, any advice on how I can deal with Bowser short hop air dodge fortress trick? I only fought one bowser that did that and it was annoying and I haven't quite figure out how to deal with it. What the best way to see it coming and punish accordingly?

Karsticles, you're a well known bowser player here, any advice on how I can deal with Bowser short hop air dodge fortress trick? I only fought one bowser that did that and it was annoying and I haven't quite figure out how to deal with it. What the best way to see it coming and punish accordingly?
You can grab him as he lands. Or hit him right as the air dodge is recovering, and Fortress is about to start up.

It's why I only really use it against people who are trying to space me out. If they are inclined to shield my approach, they can still punish.

emb

No, I beat him with 30 seconds left, so that just made it weirder. Finally managed to time Sheik's Bouncing Fish with where his Jolt Haymaker was going to land and he couldn't recover again.
Good. It's really satisfying to beat people that are trying to run the clock.

Though I kinda feel like the Glory clock should be 6 minutes instead. 5 feels low.

DooD1234

You can grab him as he lands. Or hit him right as the air dodge is recovering, and Fortress is about to start up.

It's why I only really use it against people who are trying to space me out. If they are inclined to shield my approach, they can still punish.
There a window to counter attack huh? Looks pretty instantaneous but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Well, time to see how this patch treats my Toon Link...and of course I want more practice with Lucina. Anyone want to play? :)

sure I will. 0301-9856-6792

I will host.

Edit:Oh wow you sent that awhile back actually. Don't know if you are still here. Does anyone feel like playing a few?

Just tested Ness on some cpus. In addition to his short hop no lag, it seems like his short hop fair has slightly less lag too. niiiiice

DooD1234

sure I will. 0301-9856-6792

I will host.

Edit:Oh wow you sent that awhile back actually. Don't know if you are still here. Does anyone feel like playing a few?

Just tested Ness on some cpus. In addition to his short hop no lag, it seems like his short hop fair has slightly less lag too. niiiiice
Guess I be your punching bag...make a room.

A few things I am noticing for Ness players. the short hop allows you to do fairs much safer. You can also short hop dodge, AND hit a neutral air before you touch the ground. really good for safe approaching.

I've played some really awesome Mega Man users. He has a ton of potential. Large learning curve though.

GGs Dood. Nice Samus. Watch out with all that rolling though. I was learning your pattern.

TWILT

Banned
Man, I'm really feeling the Shulk buffs. The slight damage increase and ending lag decrease to Fair was just what he needed.

Really liking Ike now too. Fair starts up pretty fast now!

Top Bottom