• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Kriken

I just had the weirdest mirror match in For Glory with an Ike with the same color scheme and very similar play style... I really need to mix things up :/

I think I'm done with this game. A little melodramatic, but it seems like no matter how hard I try to learn strategies and moves, I can't ever win any matches. I think I'm just gonna admit I suck at video games.

PK Gaming

GrandPrestigiousHoneycreeper.gif

Oh my

I think I'm done with this game. A little melodramatic, but it seems like no matter how hard I try to learn strategies and moves, I can't ever win any matches. I think I'm just gonna admit I suck at video games.

You only truly lose when you give up :3

The first fighting game I took to any serious level was Soul Calibur. I literally didn't win a match against my flatmate for a whole year. Not one that I can remember. By the end of Soul Calibur 1's lifespan I was playing at tournament level and that old flatmate couldn't even touch me in a match :D

I guess it helps if you're not super competitive though. I'm in fighting games for that odd sense of connection you get when you really get inside your opponents head. I prefer a match with lots of good reads that I lose over ones where I just trounced someone who just did the same predictable patterns over and over again.

Maybe you could tell us what you play or show us some game footage and we could give some advice? :3

Pappasman

As a Melee guy I've gotta say I'm pretty happy with Smash 4 so far. It's way better than Brawl to me. The characters actually feel good to play. Obviously it doesn't come anywhere close to 64 or Melee, but better than Brawl is all I can ask for at this point.

I've pretty much been sticking to Mac/Zelda/Ness.

Iryx

Finished up all 3 challenge panels, so I'm almost done with the single player content, all that's left is grinding for custom moves since I ended up hammering that square.

Great games so far Mine01! I've gotta go soon though, so this next one'll probably be my last!

EDIT: Yep, great games! Your Greninja is very good! Thanks for playing!

Esiquio

Finished up all 3 challenge panels, so I'm almost done with the single player content, all that's left is grinding for custom moves since I ended up hammering that square.

Hot DAMN already?! I've been playing a lot and I'm up to 86/105 challenges and I've been playing a lot. Nowhere near the clearing Smash Run, Classic and All-Star with all characters, though.

You only truly lose when you give up :3

The first fighting game I took to any serious level was Soul Calibur. I literally didn't win a match against my flatmate for a whole year. Not one that I can remember. By the end of Soul Calibur 1's lifespan I was playing at tournament level and that old flatmate couldn't even touch me in a match :D

I guess it helps if you're not super competitive though. I'm in fighting games for that odd sense of connection you get when you really get inside your opponents head. I prefer a match with lots of good reads that I lose over ones where I just trounced someone who just did the same predictable patterns over and over again.

Maybe you could tell us what you play or show us some game footage and we could give some advice? :3

Eh. Sometimes I just get really frustrated. Usually it's after a match where I feel like I should be able to win, but I just can't do anything at all to get in or succeed. Like I fought a Little Mac that I should have been able to beat, but I kept losing priority in attacks and stuff. It's things like...when I try to grab out of a shield I'm always too slow and my opponent dodges away, but when my opponent grabs out of shield I'm always too slow to dodge out and they grab me. Or when I try to priority an up smash but the opponent's dair knocks me away, and when I try to dair their up smash always wins and knocks me away.

It just feels like, even with all the YouTube and tournament watching and paying attention to advanced techniques, I still always end up getting my ass beat.

I'll probably pick the game up again tomorrow. I'm just throwing a video game temper tantrum.

Thorakai

This is like what happens to me when I face a good Falcon. Like today.

In other news I had a pleasant exchange with someone maining Sonic and someone else maining Shulk/Dark Pit. The former was an even back-and-forth win exchange. The latter I kept losing until the final round, but it wasn't really one-sided. I just wasn't finishing things right. I think I finally found my main in Bowser Jr., just need to find reliable kill moves that I like. I need to practice my down smashes.

kunonabi

RNG loves me or something cause I'm getting all of these custom moves. (At 328 now).

I wish I was so lucky. Once I'm done with custom moves and the mii costume stuff I'm not going to bother unlocking or trying complete any of the milestones/achievements.

Volodja

Characters that are more mobile than me give me issues.
I use Ganondorf.
Every character is more mobile than me. Every character gives me issues.
Damn.

So, I'm going to a tournament in Toronto tomorrow and I don't feel particularly great about my chances. Anyone want to help me practice?

Mumei

Who do you use?

Marth. I can't compete with him in the air because he keeps making me fly around with Hydro Pump (and I'm not sure how to deal with that; no matter where I dodge it sends me flying off-screen), and on the ground he's too fast. I mean, I'm sure part of it is that I'm doing something terribly wrong, but I feel like I'm constantly getting grabbed anytime I try to do something.

Edit: I love love love Shield Breaker now, though. It's incredibly satisfying, especially on people who are shield-grab happy. Too bad my spacing is -shit- for the follow-up. I've done a charged smash and missed ;_;

Marth. I can't compete with him in the air because he keeps making me fly around with Hydro Pump (and I'm not sure how to deal with that; no matter where I dodge it sends me flying off-screen), and on the ground he's too fast. I mean, I'm sure part of it is that I'm doing something terribly wrong, but I feel like I'm constantly getting grabbed anytime I try to do something.
Greninja is one of my worse match ups so sorry if I'm not being helpful here. Is the hydro pump messing up your off stage game or are they using it in the air generally?

Admittedly my only ways of dealing with Greninja (as Wario) since he's hard to camp is to bait him and attack accordingly. A lot of Greninjas I played against have a really obvious pattern. I haven't really played a really good one yet but even those gave me trouble since the character is really safe and mobile. >_>
The only thing I know is that Greninja doesn't have a lot of good ways to kill and the ones I faced really get trigger happy with that up smash at high percents so it gets easy to punish them for it, at least.

Son Of D

Charizard's Rock Smash is a boss killer in Brawl and it still is here. Try him out. I got 9.0 on my first try with him.

An alternative is Bowser. His attacks pack a nasty punch. If you need equipment then equip the critical badge. To get that you need a total of 300 kills in Smash mode which is easy to do in a short amount of time.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I still can't beat Master Core on 9.0.

I'm a failure.

Any cheap tricks?

I did it with Bowser.

Get the crit badge, then stack defense. spam fairs and bairs. Hang on ledge and fight using rising attacks because shadow bowser is no joke.

DaBoss

I still can't beat Master Core on 9.0.

I'm a failure.

Any cheap tricks?
What character are you using? Or do you want general advice? I've done it with multiple characters without equipment and have an idea of what is good for most characters.

Strong moves and multi-hit moves work best on Master Core, especially if you can do it multiple times in the air (i.e. Falco's b-air, Palutena's u-air) Mega Man can easily wreck Master Core. The challenge will come from getting to Master Core.

Top Bottom