• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Getting Mii parts and moves I already have unlocked is really starting to piss me off. I have very few moves unlocked and the game just gives me the same damn ones...

Unbounded

Welp...floaty vegetables aren't my thing lol.

They were actually kinda tough to get by. They control airspace really well.

EDIT: Holy crap the heavy ones hit hard.

2nd edit: The stubborn headbutt doesn't do it for me. Going back to the quick jump one for a bit.

Seems that I'm good with King Dedede :O

im happy a lot of characters got buffed, dedede is a beast, love that hammer and long jump B^)

I feel like if it were me I'd be punished or evaded multiple times in that gif. Knee, elbow, Falcon Punch, any of those.

it is funny to start out with evading, me and some random person were dodging each other the first two minutes in a for glory match lol

ffdgh

They were actually kinda tough to get by. They control airspace really well.

EDIT: Holy crap the heavy ones hit hard.

2nd edit: The stubborn headbutt doesn't do it for me. Going back to the quick jump one for a bit.

Sorry! keep forgetting to turn items off.

jokkir

I'm so bad at this game. Out of around 30 matches, I win around 5
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Eh. Sometimes I just get really frustrated. Usually it's after a match where I feel like I should be able to win, but I just can't do anything at all to get in or succeed. Like I fought a Little Mac that I should have been able to beat, but I kept losing priority in attacks and stuff. It's things like...when I try to grab out of a shield I'm always too slow and my opponent dodges away, but when my opponent grabs out of shield I'm always too slow to dodge out and they grab me. Or when I try to priority an up smash but the opponent's dair knocks me away, and when I try to dair their up smash always wins and knocks me away.

It just feels like, even with all the YouTube and tournament watching and paying attention to advanced techniques, I still always end up getting my ass beat.

I'll probably pick the game up again tomorrow. I'm just throwing a video game temper tantrum.

Heh, no worries :3

The trick with any fighting game is a mixture of adaptation and observation. If something doesn't work, even if you feel it should, then you need to observe why it's not working and find an alternative that does :p
For example, the key to grabbing is that once you know they'll dodge your grabs you stop grabbing at where they are and start grabbing at where they will be (either dodge backwards form where you'd grab then do it or run past where they to about a backroll's distance and grab.)
A lot of fighting games is really about prediction and noticing patterns rather than reactions :D At first you learn to notice your opponents reactions and change your behaviour to deal with it, then, as you get better, you learn to spot your own patterns and disrupt them so you can't be as easily read :3
Likewise, I don't think anyone dodges grabs on reaction: it's more that either they notice you always grab after doing certain other things or at certain ranges and so they pre-emptively evade it.

I think it helps to think of it more like a puzzle game. The opponent's playstyle is the puzzle made of different pieces. First you have to identify the pieces then you have to find the solution for that individual piece. Once you solve enough of the pieces then you'll win... at least until the opponent adapts and changes (which can take some people longer than others :p )

The little mac priority problem reminds me of the issues I originally had with Sol Badguy in Guilty Gear: he always beat me to the punch on any collision. I eventually realised that the solution wasn't to try and beat him in priority but to instead block and let him hit first then punish during his recoveries: basically I played on his weaknesses and avoided his strengths.
An example of this might be Little Mac's using their rushing punch. If the little mac is fairly new then you can simply block it and then throw them. If they're experienced enough to know they can link it straight into punches, you instead need to roll past them and whack them in the behind instead :3

I don't know if any of that helps but that's always been my approach :D

Zing

Banned
Random thoughts:

I'm sure it's just my perception, but it seems that it's always the Little Mac players that bail out after their loss.

I just noticed that in team games, it randomizes the team each time.

I have been playing random characters all night. There's always that one guy in the game room that plays the same character every time, for a dozen matches in a row.

I suck at Pacman.

Kyzon

Welp, I was sure Rosalina could absorb din's fire...

She can. I just intentionally held it until after your thing finished XD

Edit: That disconnect, lol

Bah, I didn't realize it was this late anyways.

GGs I gotta go get ready for the night.

Edit Again: Ok one more match, lol

Cedric

She can. I just intentionally held it until after your thing finished XD

Edit: That disconnect, lol

Bah, I didn't realize it was this late anyways.

GGs I gotta go get ready for the night.

Hahaha damn didn't realize that. GGs man, your Zelda's great!

Tan

Only recently started playing shulk and I'm really getting myself killed with these monado art changes haha

Mine01

I'm at 183-159 win/loss, that always happen to me on fighters, when I start playing i suck so hard I get something like 10-50 before I start winning.

Happensto me a lot on mmo's pvp.

Zing

Banned
I just noticed that Little Mac is in the challenge for this week. As if we really needed more Macs. I wish they didn't show the results of the challenge until it ended. I'm sure many people play as whoever is currently winning just to get the reward at the end.

Top Bottom