• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Papstr

Neo Member
How do you like, stop grabs? I'm not really sure how to prevent that.

If you anticipate a grab, you can spot dodge or roll out of the way. Bowser's side B feels slower than his normal grab, based on my experience of people rolling out of the way of it constantly last night.

Timeaisis

I hate Pac Man's slow grab. Ugh. If grabs weren't such an important asset against some characters due to shields being so amazing I wouldn't mind that much. But a few characters I feel like there is no good strategy against without good grabs.

Luigi is slowly becoming my main again. -_-

OmegaFax

How do you like, stop grabs? I'm not really sure how to prevent that.

You can't. It's not a normal grab; it's Bowser's forward special. Once he grabs you, you're gonna get slammed.

Quick Edit: The key is to draw Bowser into the center of the stage away from the edge. I can't really defend it as something that's kinda broken but the game will try to push me in the opposite direction of the edge if I'm not in the right place.

Second Quick Edit: It's a bit less broken in three or four player matches because the player that isn't grabbed can still hit Bowser during the grab.

Generally lousy at Smash. I got a few maniacal laughs at other people's expense performing the move. It's eh, kinda effective in "For Glory" matches.

... but that's what you get for repeatedly rollin' your Yoshi at me ^_^

You can't. It's not a normal grab; it's Bowser's forward special. Once he grabs you, you're gonna get slammed.

Quick Edit: The key is to draw Bowser into the center of the stage away from the edge. I can't really defend it as something that's kinda broken but the game will try to push me in the opposite direction of the edge if I'm not in the right place.

Ugh, im playing this one ganondorf player who keeps grabbing me and screwing me up. I'm trying to roll out of the way and such but he's got such good timing that whenever I try to actually attack or do any slight thing that leaves me open for a half a second he just grabs me and does some serious damage.

Generally lousy at Smash. I got a few maniacal laughs at other people's expense performing the move. It's eh, kinda effective in "For Glory" matches.

Thanks for pointing that out, I guess that means I'm completely utterly shit tier. -_-

So, who are the 'decent' people here if you're lousy and can beat me 10 times in a row? They must be savants and can predict everyone's moves and have a catalog of all the animations memorized in their heads perfectly.

lol, thanks for kicking my ass. I don't think a won a single one, but I probably learned more from all of those so it was so worth it. Hopefully you're not feeling salty anymore :p

Heheh, I wasn't thinking of relieving my NaCl levels with a bit of owning, but if it means I get to teach someone and give them some good replays to study then I'm all for it. I'm just spreading the good word of Falco is all. :)

Papstr

Neo Member

Second Quick Edit: It's a bit less broken in three or four player matches because the player that isn't grabbed can still hit Bowser during the grab.

... but that's what you get for repeatedly rollin' your Yoshi at me ^_^

To clarify, I believe Bowser's command grab lets the person with the lowest % have control of where he lands. So if you are behind in health they control where you go. You basically have to be in the lead to actually set up the suicide.

Ugh, im playing this one ganondorf player who keeps grabbing me and screwing me up. I'm trying to roll out of the way and such but he's got such good timing that whenever I try to actually attack or do any slight thing that leaves me open for a half a second he just grabs me and does some serious damage.

Thanks for pointing that out, I guess that means I'm completely utterly shit tier. -_-

So, who are the 'decent' people here if you're lousy and can beat me 10 times in a row? They must be savants and can predict everyone's moves and have a catalog of all the animations memorized in their heads perfectly.

From what I've played, decent people here are either those who've played the Smash series or Brawl long enough to have a sizable amount of experience under their belt and are capable of adapting very quickly to Smash 4. They already know the fundamentals of Smash, so their main concern is in learning their characters and thus they break away from the pack quickly. They don't need to learn the intricacies of movement or anything because they already know what works and what doesn't for most of the cast, and what they don't know is learned quickly.

Otherwise, you have people either playing just to have a jolly good time, or those who try to better themselves but are not at that level yet. Depending on who you ask, I'm a "decent" person myself though I don't think I can say that yet. :p If you're worried about your skill, just know that some people like myself have been playing Smash for the whole 15 years and aren't stopping anytime soon. You'll get there with hard work and practice, but most of all time. :)

Neiteio

I just played several four-player matches, with certain items on (Assist Trophies, Pokeballs, Master Balls, Steel Diver, Drill Arm, etc), and on the normal versions of stages.

MAN, that was fun. It was a refreshing change of pace to give For Glory a break and embrace the raw chaos of this game. :)

Masked Man

I said wow

wrongway

Speaking of learning about movement, I've got a newbie question: What are the rules for activating your second/air jump? I'm to the point where I feel comfortable enough going off-stage to try to deny my opponent's return, but I'm finding that I sometimes just don't have my air jump. I'm dorking around in the training mode now just doing off-stage attacks, and the air jump failure just seems random to me. :<

Yeah man, it was fun playing with you guys, even if I kept running into Smash attacks. :(

Let's just say I'm learning from all these matches after every loss.
Yeah it's cool, the Wii U version will be so much better when we can actually control our movement well.

Nice counters btw, those things make me feel like a moth to a flame; I can't stop getting rekt by them hahah

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Speaking of learning about movement, I've got a newbie question: What are the rules for activating your second/air jump? I'm to the point where I feel comfortable enough going off-stage to try to deny my opponent's return, but I'm finding that I sometimes just don't have my air jump. I'm dorking around in the training mode now just doing off-stage attacks, and the air jump failure just seems random to me. :<

It can be hard to mentally keep track of sometimes. If you run off the edge you only get one jump.

If you run off the ledge without using your first jump and do your jump immediately after you run off the ledge, that's you using up your second jump.

It's hard to notice at first which is why it seems random. Just watch a replay of a match where it happens and you'll pick up on it.

Top Bottom