• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't even know how many battles I've fought on the Wii U version. I should probably stop playing FF XIV and play Smash again.

But that is hard.

JulianImp

When it goes from stage to stage the blastzones shift, so I might've got caught by that.

Okay, time to stop because I can't play Fox like this. GGs Julian, you were good but it's hard to properly critique you with a few frames of lag in the way. :(

Oh, I never knew how the blastzones worked there.

Yeah, playing with lag's rough since it favors the one who's on the offensive by giving your opponent has less time to react to your combos and follow ups. For me, lag tends to be a bit less than what we got, but it can also climb higher and become a real problem, but that mostly tends to happen in 2v2s with certain SmashGAFfers since my console has to connect to three other players on the other side of the continent.

The one advantage I get is that it's kind of like training in a harder difficulty mode. When I played the tourney matches locally I was pretty much on point with all my approaches, reactions and punishes (except for that untimely ganoncide).

Since I don't want to go through the trouble of capturing a screenshot and looking for its link, here're my WiiU player stats for the online modes:
Pac-Man: 709 games, 31 hours worth of play time
Sonic: 663 games, 27 hours of play time (haven't played him in ages, though)
Luigi: 339 games, 12 hours
Ness: 296 games, 11 hours
Roy: 142 games, 5 hours

JP n3DS online stats:
Sonic: 352 games, 16 hours
Ness: 52 games, 1 hour
Wario: 48 games, 1 hour
Pac-Man: 42 games, 1 hour
DHD: 36 games, 1 hour

I might post my 3DSXL stats later, but that was the first version of the game I got my hands onto, so I bet it has lots of DHD and not much else.

Jonke

Neo Member
I guess i don't play enough if my record is to go by. ;)

RQS7Miql.jpg

JulianImp

Am I just abnormal? Was I supposed to play a shitton of matches or something, because I post more here than I play matches? >.>;;;;

I mostly tend to post here while playing/looking for matches, with some discussion on the side.

Also, I've finally graduated from whining about Pac's lack of kill potential. He's actually quite good now that I've learned to not be so shy about using his forward and up smashes. Even if it's just to rack damage up, they're great for punishing improper spacing with their disjointed hitboxes and don't leave Pac-Man vulnerable forever like other smash attacks. However, whenever I try to go for a dsmash I've got to remind myself that it takes forever to start up and recover from, and that I should be attempting to get a read on my opponent and land a much safer (and stronger) fsmash instead.

SoldnerKei

welp, since we're doing this again, updated version, here we go:

welp, seems like I need to play some more :v

thou there are some cheat records like Mario, Villager and Jiggly, those are the characters of my buds, Zelda and Rosalina are my fiancee Main and Secondary, dunno why Captain Falcon is so high haha

FluxWaveZ

Number of matches is nothing but a pointless number if the player doesn't take anything from them and they don't transfer to actual skill.

JulianImp

Number of matches is nothing but a pointless number if the player doesn't take anything from them and they don't transfer to actual skill.

Of course there's no formula that directly correlates played matches with a player's skill with any given character, but many things in this game are learned through muscle memory and getting a general "feel" for the characters and levels. I was definitely able to hold my own using characters I rarely use against less experienced players during some friendly matches I played after yesterday's tourney merely on my experience with general spacing and some basic know-how on the character's movesets, but I know that if I tried to use those characters for real matches I'd probably do horribly at first.

For example, back when I was playing lots of Ness and decided to pick Sonic up I kept messing up dash grabs with him because I was used to how Ness' grab worked, and then I got into a bad habit of using dash attacks too much thanks to playing mostly Sonic. Pac-Man was the same, with me doing things wrong at first out of habit, but slowly getting used to his moveset and learning what things work in which situations.

While it isn't like I'll automatically become Abadango tier as soon as I hit as many matches as he has under his belt while using Pac-Man, I bet I'd be a lot more knowledgeable about how he matches-up against the rest of the cast, what to do and what to avoid doing against certain characters, and many other stuff that I couldn't just learn from watching videos or looking spreadsheets up.

SoldnerKei

well, for me is interesting watching which characters have been using lately, for example CRQ has played me with his top 5 characters but I don't recall anything else, and I would love to play against his MK, Lil Mac, Roy, etc etc, because I know I could learn a couple of things from his playstyle with those chars

same goes for anyone else I have played :'D

Boney

Banned
I'm not at home but a) i probably should be embarrased at my Play time, and b) if i put the time i've put to samus to any other characters I'd probably be a smash god

Codeblue

Things I can't deal with:

Good Shieks
Any Yoshis
Scrubby Marths

I know I play Puff incorrectly, I should be more patient, but I can't help myself and I somehow manage to space myself right into the tipper of an fsmash even though I know that move is coming because it was also the last three moves they put out.

Anyone Yoshi players out there want to impart their wisdom on what makes a match difficult for you? I've been struggling with that match up since the game came out.

Things I can't deal with:

Good Shieks
Any Yoshis
Scrubby Marths

I know I play Puff incorrectly, I should be more patient, but I can't help myself and I somehow manage to space myself right into the tipper of an fsmash even though I know that move is coming because it was also the last three moves they put out.

Anyone Yoshi players out there want to impart their wisdom on what makes a match difficult for you? I've been struggling with that match up since the game came out.

Shield is one of Yoshi's biggest weaknesses. But that isn't always a good option if you play Jigglypuff. Yoshi beats Jigglypuff, so you have to outplay them and hope for some rest reads.

Good games Nami! All of your characters are coming along really nicely! I was pretty impressed all around!

Good games. I am quite surprised I was able to take games off of Mega Man with Falco and Sheik. Mario was the most surprising because I don't even play him! You have finally evolved into a lemon MM, and I can't say I am liking it as much as you. :p Fun to play you again; it has been a while.

Cronox

Banned
There's no need to be embarrassed if your match record isn't as big as some of us. It's not the size of your match record that's important, but how you've used it. I'm sure most of yours are bigger than average. The important thing is that you feel good and confident about your ability to perform when it's time to win a match.

I have a big number of matches under my belt. My Bowser matches played stat swells with pride, pointing skyward towards the heavens. I'm pleased about that, but I'm not going to just whip out that Bowser stat and lay it out on the table in front of everyone if it makes people with smaller stats uncomfortable. Don't be intimidated, think of me as just another guy here. Matches played don't matter, ok? Let's just all assume we have average stats, if that'll help. I'm sure other people barely notice the difference. You probably have other qualities anyway, like your personality, or how much gold your old WoW character has, or something. Relax! We accept everyone here.

Kappa

Dr. Buni

I am so terrible at punishing mistakes in Smash. Nothing worse than losing a match because that smash attack or aerial didn't connect due to poor spacing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There's no need to be embarrassed if your match record isn't as big as some of us. It's not the size of your match record that's important, but how you've used it. I'm sure most of yours are bigger than average. The important thing is that you feel good and confident about your ability to perform when it's time to win a match.

I have a big number of matches under my belt. My Bowser matches played stat swells with pride, pointing skyward towards the heavens. I'm pleased about that, but I'm not going to just whip out that Bowser stat and lay it out on the table in front of everyone if it makes people with smaller stats uncomfortable. Don't be intimidated, think of me as just another guy here. Matches played don't matter, ok? Let's just all assume we have average stats, if that'll help. I'm sure other people barely notice the difference. You probably have other qualities anyway, like your personality, or how much gold your old WoW character has, or something. Relax! We accept everyone here.

Kappa

Well most of the matches played are obviously from For Glory I.E. scrub city.

I downloaded Ryu.

He's fun to play as, but any tips at all?

Learn to bait out opponents with his Focus attack (down B), it soaks up one hit, and if you land the focus attack, the opponent gets stuck in a crumple/stun state. You can also cancel the Focus attack by dashing foward or backwards, this applies while in the air also and somewhat gives him some air options in terms of movement.

High five for not jumping on the hate bandwagon and pointing out how this is easily avoidable and entirely the fault of the Lucas's lack of matchup knowledge
Spoken like a true Rosalina main.

Luma shouldn't be able to do anything when Rosalina is locked up like that. It's absurd.

Dr. Buni

High five for not jumping on the hate bandwagon and pointing out how this is easily avoidable and entirely the fault of the Lucas's lack of matchup knowledge
But Lucas shouldn't even need to avoid anything when Rosalina is frozen by his PK Freeze. The fact Luma can attack even in situations when Rosalina can't is rather ridiculous.

Nabster92

Spoken like a true Rosalina main.

Luma shouldn't be able to do anything when Rosalina is locked up like that. It's absurd.

But Lucas shouldn't even need to avoid anything when Rosalina is frozen by his PK Freeze. The fact Luma can attack even in situations when Rosalina can't is rather ridiculous.

Because it seems true Rosalina mains are the only ones that seem to care to learn how luma actually works instead of bitching about nerfs. I'm pretty sure something as vital to the mechanics of the character that is even mentioned in the in game tips won't be patched out anytime soon.

The sooner people see Luma as a part of the character and start respecting it when it's not in tumble because they didn't actually hit it, the sooner we get less BS kills that we have to listen to bitching about.

FluxWaveZ

Rosalina isn't very good without Luma so I think it's a fair trade off that Luma can attack in those situations.

I don't think that logic holds when puppet characters in any other fighting game are weak without their puppets, yet they typically don't have autonomous movement while the actual character is in hitstun/blockstun except for special circumstances that require resources.

Nobody should be able to act while in hitstun. That's crazy talk. If it's part of the character than uh, that's not really very good character design to flagrantly go against the very fundamentals of the game/ entire genre.

Because it seems true Rosalina mains are the only ones that seem to care to learn how luma actually works instead of bitching about nerfs. I'm pretty sure something as vital to the mechanics of the character that is even mentioned in the in game tips won't be patched out anytime soon.

The sooner people see Luma as a part of the character and start respecting it when it's not in tumble because they didn't actually hit it, the sooner we get less BS kills that we have to listen to bitching about.
"My top tier character that can KO you while she is disabled is perfectly fine. You guys just don't understand."

Top Bottom