• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enforced

Just tried the demo. I really like it. The only problem I had is i get bit confused on shoulder button control. I keep thinking L button is a shield but its to grab. I'm used to that on the previous games. But I like the game overall

KHlover

Banned
Smash demo is up for the poor mortals.

So ... does it have a day count ?

Day count? No. It does have limited uses however. You can start it up 30 times before the demo expires. In my experience that should be more than enough until launch.

Platy

Day count? No. It does have limited uses however. You can start it up 30 times before the demo expires. In my experience that should be more than enough until launch.

Yeah .. limited uses.

I wonder if the demo can multiplayer with the final game ...

Fbh

Demo for us regular folk is finally up. I just downloaded and played a bit.

Being a casual Smash Player I quite enjoyed the demo. It plays well and looks quite a bit better than I expected (as allways screenshots don't do 3DS games justice), plus the performance is really smooth.

Link, Pikachu and Mario play as expected. As for the news ones, I liked the villager but wasn't a big fan of megaman, his skills just strike me as really boring.

Still, I think I'll just wait for the WiiU version. I'm not THAT much of a smash fan so I'd rather just buy it once and put those $40 I'm saving towards bayonetta 2

"...I didn't think we could do it, but thanks to the determination of a female designer..."

"...the Ice Climbers were one such instance of working with the limitations of the 3DS..."

Because of the past history of Smash, and statements like that, we can't pretend that things always work out as planned. Especially since they're working on two games, I don't think the air of compromising one's plans for the reality of the workload can be ignored in game development just because "big budget."

These...don't contradict what I said. The first idea was pitched by the female designer and created by her. It wasn't something Sakurai wanted and that was possibly being cut. The second was a technical limitation. They have Ice Climbers working on the Wii U, so it wasn't just a case of "if we throw more people at a 3DS we can somehow make the impossible possible"

Golnei

Little Mac's been getting some fairly good fanart recently. I'm interested in using his moveset for myself - even if he really is as limited as most people seem to think.
tumblr_nab4a2RdjS1rebpa3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_naoqcbKuG41rebpa3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbrpzwsH2n1rebpa3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nb95ethbSg1rebpa3o1_500.png

And better luck next time, Takamaru.
tumblr_nc585vs7Cp1rmec6bo1_250.png

Not sure. He got banned here. Ourfinesthour or something like that.
Yeah, same guy haha. He says the same stuff like a minute into the video, so I guess this whole thing isn't really that surprising.

I was surprised by how articulate he was though, I would have never been able to tell from his posts. So that's good!

Lol he even mentions how all of NeoGAF hates DKC in there.

Little Mac's been getting some fairly good fanart recently. I'm interested in using his moveset for myself - even if he really is as limited as most people seem to think.

Had not seen that last one, stuff is looking great. Little Mac is my planned main at the moment. As a Brawl Sonic main, he's scratching a power itch.

I still think it's disingenuous to describe a game that explicitly makes use of multiple universes as having a single immutable canon. Chrom and Sumia is one possible pairing, but nowhere near the only way events can play out - any option available to the player is valid.
Well I think "canon" would be the default option, and pretty clearly it's Sumia X Chrom. (See below quote)
Dude, I just started FE Awakening and it was obvious from the start that Sumia had to go with Chrom and so Robin therefore belonged to someone else. Then in only the second support convo
when she bakes him a pie, she is already going "my love" when he's not paying attention, and he is a bit aloof but very positively responsive to her.
Chrom and Robin personalities don't mesh right, anyway. She'd even be a better match for Frederick.
Along with this, she is the default option for Chrom's wife if he doesn't get any points with anyone, she is the only character to get something other than text on top of character art when she and Chrom marry (non-Support), and she even appears in Maribelle's scene with Lucina.

Neiteio

By far and away the retro stage I most want to see in Smash WiiU is Delfino Plaza. Such great atmosphere in that stage. It's the best overworld in a 3D Mario world, and the stage explores it thoroughly, going to the islands, the top of the gate, the rooftop, harbor, etc. It's also more fitting than ever, now that Bowser Jr. is a playable character, complete with the Shadow Mario Final Smash spreading paint everywhere. :)

ROB served its purpose. I'd modify that a little...

tumblr_n3thielqT11t6jvvlo1_500.gif

...they're more proud of the Virtual Boy than K. Rool.

Sure they put it in Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life, but when the time comes to make a game that celebrates Nintendo's history on a handheld device that runs 3D, it's no where to be seen.

I'm still bitter about the lack of a Virtual boy stage.

Neiteio

Sure they put it in Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life, but when the time comes to make a game that celebrates Nintendo's history on a handheld device that runs 3D, it's no where to be seen.

I love the 3D on the 3DS -- LOVE! -- but I think a Virtual Boy stage would suffer from a fair bit of ghosting, due to the black backdrops. It might've been for practical reasons that a VB stage wasn't done. Although it'd certainly be a great DLC idea if they can get it work.

EDIT: Ooo, imagine a level called "Wario Land" that is presented in Virtual Boy style, like how Kirby's Dreamland is presented in Game Boy style. :-O

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I don't think Nintendo necessarily wants to celebrate the Virtual Boy. At least they know to have fun with it, but it was a massive flop.

Also more important systems haven't even had a stage for them, like all of Nintendo's home consoles. Seriously, it's a bit much to expect a VB stage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I asked this a couple days ago in the 3DS OT but it got ignored, probably because it's mostly about the 3DS and it moves really fast most of the time.

But is there going to be a Wii U Bash Sisters tournament? Or just the 3DS one that's already full. Only saw the 3DS one but if there is also one for the Wii U game I'd be interested in signing up.

I love the 3D on the 3DS -- LOVE! -- but I think a Virtual Boy stage would suffer from a fair bit of ghosting, due to the black backdrops. It might've been for practical reasons that a VB stage wasn't done. Although it'd certainly be a great DLC idea if they can get it work.

EDIT: Ooo, imagine a level called "Wario Land" that is presented in Virtual Boy style, like how Kirby's Dreamland is presented in Game Boy style. :-O
You and me both! Unless it's running low on battery, or the 3D effect isn't good, I always play with the depth slider on all the way. For games like Sticker Star and Dark Moon, it works fantastically.
I don't think Nintendo necessarily wants to celebrate the Virtual Boy. At least they know to have fun with it, but it was a massive flop.

Also more important systems haven't even had a stage for them, like all of Nintendo's home consoles. Seriously, it's a bit much to expect a VB stage.
I guess it was.
I still hope we can get the one good Virtual Boy game (Wario Land) on the 3DS Virtual Console - complete with 3D effect.

EDIT: Speaking of Dark Moon, are there any trophies from Dark Moon in the 3DS version? It would seem weird if they were completely absent.

So, we have 48 non-Mii characters, and the first batch of amiibo contains twelve, so I think it's safe to say that there will probably be four batches of amiibos to get all the characters. We already know Series 1:
Peach, Donkey Kong, Fox, Kirby, Link, Mario, Marth, Pikachu, Samus, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Yoshi.

For Series 2 and 3, I'll go by order of reveal.

Series 2:
Pit, Bowser, Mega Man, Pikmin & Olimar, Luigi, Toon Link, Sonic, Rosalina & Luma, Zelda, King Dedede, Lucario, and Little Mac.

Series 3:
Diddy Kong, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Charizard, Greninja, Ike, Palutena, Pac Man, Robin, Captain Falcon, Meta Knight, and Shulk.

And we can probably guess that the last set will contain the twelve unlockable characters:
Lucina, Ness, Falco, Wario, Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, R.O.B., Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, and Jigglypuff.

Since the original set didn't contain the twelve characters shown off at E3 2013, we can't be sure Series 2 and 3 would have characters in order of being shown off. I wouldn't be surprised if Pikmin & Olimar and Rosalina & Luma amiibos get released in later sets, because of how complex they'd be.

Any thoughts on this?

That doesn't even seem that bad but I didn't watch most of it so maybe I'm wrong.

This however, is much worse
After that comment he made here that got him banned, I'm glad K.Rool isn't in just to spite him.

After hearing this, I'm double glad.

Not that I hate K.Rool fans or think he shouldn't be in completely, but this guy really made me sour on the character.

EDIT: On the middle of his closing thoughts video.

My god.

Lunar15

Well, I would love to have a lot of old stages because I felt that majority of new stages would be based on recently games that got released on Wii and DS, rather than bringing back historical (or memorable) stages for the characters. I'm fine with stages that came from variable era.

That's actually the reason I love the Magicant and F-Zero SNES levels in the 3DS version. They're new levels dedicated to old games. This is the kind of stuff I like to see.

He was making fun of people who were wanting more female characters because they could relate to them better.
Why would he make fun of that? What a douchebag.
DK, Mother, F-Zero, Yoshi, Wario, Duck Hunt, Game & Watch

Kirby only has a retro stage so far...
Well I guess we can expect new stages for each of these series then, right?
Hopefully Mother and F-Zero get new stages, or at the very least Magicant and Mute City.
While we already have a Kirby retro stage, I would be surprised if Sakurai didn't include a new stage for a series he created.

Clean:
daily-en_20140919_1wopp.jpg

Also, all that FE:A spoiler talk reminds me that I really need to play more of that game. Kinda switched to Layton vs. Wright, but been moving through that very slowly as it is, soooo... I had just done the mission on the shoreline town on the second continent, which is roughly halfway through, I think.

I wonder if the extra tracks in the 3DS version point towards returning stages for the Wii U version.

Legendary Air Ride Machine = Halberd
With Mila's Divine Protection = Castle Siege
Hyrule Temple = Temple?
Rainbow Cruise = Rainbow Cruise?
"Mechanical Rhythm" = second Xenoblade stage, then?

Pretty sure this theory falls apart if not.

... what... what the hell was he trying to say?
"Ban me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom