• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 to hit 4 teraflops?!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
No way Jose
w3WglQR.jpeg
Yea I can see the head of Nintendo a more dignified version Jordan Belfort!

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Same. Xenoblade would look glorious with ps4 level power.

I'd like to see them offer switch games in their online subscription. But they aren't known to copy Microsoft and Sony.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if there was full BC with Switch Games. You would have to pay an extra 10 dollar fee to get the upgrade that makes the Switch games look better. Talking about both first and third parties.

And whatever MonolithSoft works on next is gonna to look fantastic

Same here, i'm sure Nintendo will make amazing looking games with PS4 level power.

I still game on PS4 and it still graphically amazes me. And I have a more powerful PC (PS5 Level when it comes to TITTYFLOPs)

I guess Law of Diminishing Returns is a thing for me

Last edited:

Woopah

This is correct. But because it doesn't dock, it is not an identical machine in terms of components. Hence the lower cost. Not to mention the Joy-Con aren't standalone/ separate pieces.
Indeed. When I talk about the same parts I was talking specifically about the SoC, rather than the product as a whole.

Last edited:

Woopah

I see. Thanks for the replies.

So, all you're getting is a downgrade in resolution when in handheld mode. It's not as if the Switch Lite is vastly less powerful than the OG switch for example.

Which would mean for the next Switch, it could do 4K in docked mode, but reduce this to 1080p in handheld mode to save battery.
There's also the fact that Switch 2 won't have a 4k screen, so there's no way to do that resolution in handheld mode anyway.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
If I can take advantage of my 4K OLED without it looking stretched from 720p content - I will be happy.

I don't need high end graphics, just strong art design. Nintendo rightfully does the smart move by focusing on gameplay first and not spending hundreds of millions R&Ding to make the next game hyper realistic on new hardware. They let the others try that first and use what they learn.

Devs are going to use the handheld as the baseline and we'll maybe get higher res docked.

A 2025 handheld that will last until 2032 should have a 1080p screen minimum with ~3 TFlops as the baseline.

Last edited:

bigdad2007

- You can run modern games on the Steamdeck, albeit at reduced settings

- Switch 2 should be quite comfortable be more powerful than the Deck, CPU and GPU wise. So It’s quite easy to imagine ports will come with no issue.

Seems fairly straightforward here
Nintendo is notoriously cheap and not worried about modern graphics. And likes to hit aggressive price points. I can’t see how Nintendo would be able to put out something that is significantly more powerful than the Deck at the same target price .

It may be more powerful just due to being a later release, but not by a huge margin.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nintendo is notoriously cheap and not worried about modern graphics. And likes to hit aggressive price points. I can’t see how Nintendo would be able to put out something that is significantly more powerful than the Deck at the same target price .

It may be more powerful just due to being a later release, but not by a huge margin.

We have more than enough info to know that Nintendo is aggressively targeting 3rd party ports this cycle.
It benefits them to have hardware that’s powerful enough to achieve this aim.

Between more recent hardware, NVIDIA’s GPU chops and DLSS, I’d say it should be a given that the Switch 2 visibly surpasses the Deck

Beechos

I'll believe when I see it. There's so many things out there that still need to be factored in.

Power consumption
Battery
Memory
Storage
Thermals
Form factor
Screen
Dock
Price point? Is nintendo willing to sell at loss or wants profit day 1?

Ozriel

M$FT
Looking at sales... it doesn't need to.

Hardware Sales is just one part of the puzzle, though. They’re leaving a ton of money on the table from 3rd party royalties.

Sufficient power is important. They had to make do with the Tegra X1 back in the day. Now they’ve had enough time and opportunity to make better choices.

CS Lurker

Sufficient power is important. They had to make do with the Tegra X1 back in the day. Now they’ve had enough time and opportunity to make better choices.

TLDR: with the T239 they already made the best choice in terms of hardware for a handheld that will have much lower TDP than what we see within those AMD handhelds, while also being considerable thinner and lighter. Performance will be limited by the node used, and also by the trade-off between clocks and battery life. The size of the GPU/CPU wouldn't change at all, unless we were talking about a stationary console only.

The fact that it will still be running off of a battery limits those "better choices" a lot.

A second consideration is that Nintendo isn't going to have an ROG Ally power consumption in handheld mode (probably not even when docked tbh). They are not coming with a thick battery as we see with those AMD handhelds (it's probably still using a standard 3.7v battery retaining the OG Switch thickness)
When you consider form factor, weight, battery life, it doesn't let much for performance.

Even though the TX1 was released in 2015, Nvidia didn't have anything much better for late 2016 (when Switch's production started). What they could have done at the time was to shrink the SoC, which they did in 2019 using the TSMC 16nm (they probably had a bunch of TSMC 20nm wafer already bought and had to commit to it (even though the node proved to be a disappointment), giving Nintendo a good price on it). That shrink gave the SoC a 45%~50% power reduction (the change from the LPDDR4 to the LPDDR4X also helped with it). Was Nintendo happy with the 2.5~3h battery life of the V1? If they had the TX1 in 16nm for late 2016, would they have upped the clocks of would they prefer the V2's battery life? We have no idea, but I think we are about to find out [with the Switch 2].

Now we are with the very same dilemma: is the T239 going to be produced using a 5nm/4nm node from TSMC or they went with a garbage Samsung node? Either way, the T239 specs are the best you can get from Nvidia while having a form factor a bit bigger than the current Switch OLED (to accommodate an 8" screen, as pointed out by many rumors from different sources). So it's all about the node and clocks X battery life. The number of CUDA cores wouldn't change independently of the chosen node, and Nintendo would never come with a 25W+ in handheld mode; there's absolutely no way they would even consider it. By the time Switch 2 is released, the difference [in performance] between what we got and what we could have gotten will probably be ~50%, give or take. I'm considering going from Samsung 8nm (worse scenario) to TSMC 4N (same node used for Lovelace), but I'm still ignoring battery life. Nintendo could go with the 4N node and still want the V2 battery life, lowering the clocks. That's why it's so hard to speculate about performance on a handheld even when we already know pretty much how many cores it has.

Last edited:

Jesb

PS4 pro is what I was hoping for. If I got the new switch it would only be on my tv so this is pretty good to me.

Type_Raver

Im eagerly awaiting to hear more, but for now the info and leaks are on the silent side.

That said, based on a lot of what has been said to date, i easily expect something like Ghosts of Tsushima to be achievable and exceeded.
It really comes down to the developers vision and style, and its less likely to be Nintendo reaching for this look but subsidiaries or 3rd parties.

I imagine modern looking games like Horizon FW, with PS5 style lighting with PS4 level geometry.
It DOESNT have to render natively at 4K, it could be 720p or 1080p and upscaled tastefully via DLSS.

TLDR: with the T239 they already made the best choice in terms of hardware for a handheld that will have much lower TDP than what we see within those AMD handhelds, while also being considerable thinner and lighter. Performance will be limited by the node used, and also by the trade-off between clocks and battery life. The size of the GPU/CPU wouldn't change at all, unless we were talking about a stationary console only.

The fact that it will still be running off of a battery limits those "better choices" a lot.

A second consideration is that Nintendo isn't going to have an ROG Ally power consumption in handheld mode (probably not even when docked tbh). They are not coming with a thick battery as we see with those AMD handhelds (it's probably still using a standard 3.7v battery retaining the OG Switch thickness)
When you consider form factor, weight, battery life, it doesn't let much for performance.

Even though the TX1 was released in 2015, Nvidia didn't have anything much better for late 2016 (when Switch's production started). What they could have done at the time was to shrink the SoC, which they did in 2019 using the TSMC 16nm (they probably had a bunch of TSMC 20nm wafer already bought and had to commit to it (even though the node proved to be a disappointment), giving Nintendo a good price on it). That shrink gave the SoC a 45%~50% power reduction (the change from the LPDDR4 to the LPDDR4X also helped with it). Was Nintendo happy with the 2.5~3h battery life of the V1? If they had the TX1 in 16nm for late 2016, would they have upped the clocks of would they prefer the V2's battery life? We have no idea, but I think we are about to find out [with the Switch 2].

Now we are with the very same dilemma: is the T239 going to be produced using a 5nm/4nm node from TSMC or they went with a garbage Samsung node? Either way, the T239 specs are the best you can get from Nvidia while having a form factor a bit bigger than the current Switch OLED (to accommodate an 8" screen, as pointed out by many rumors from different sources). So it's all about the node and clocks X battery life. The number of CUDA cores wouldn't change independently of the chosen node, and Nintendo would never come with a 25W+ in handheld mode; there's absolutely no way they would even consider it. By the time Switch 2 is released, the difference [in performance] between what we got and what we could have gotten will probably be ~50%, give or take. I'm considering going from Samsung 8nm (worse scenario) to TSMC 4N (same node used for Lovelace), but I'm still ignoring battery life. Nintendo could go with the 4N node and still want the V2 battery life, lowering the clocks. That's why it's so hard to speculate about performance on a handheld even when we already know pretty much how many cores it has.
It is supposedly Samsung 8nm, same mode used for Ampere, which makes sense since it is apparently an Ampere GPU

CS Lurker

It is supposedly Samsung 8nm, same mode used for Ampere, which makes sense since it is apparently an Ampere GPU

Yeah, we still have no idea about that.

But it's worth noting that the TX1 on Switch (V1 model) has a Maxwell GPU using TSMC 20nm node, but if you look at all Maxwell GPUs for desktop and notebook (even the professional line) you'll see that it's all using TSMC 28nm node. And in 2019 Nvidia updated the TX1 to use TSMC 16nm (the node they were using for their Pascal architecture that came after Maxwell).

So, this shows that just because the evidences are pointing to an Ampere GPU, it doesn't necessarily mean that they surely will be using the same node they used 4 years ago for Ampere cards.

Personally, it doesn't make any sense to use such a very inefficient node for a GPU that big which is going to run through a battery. For the "It's because Nintendo is cheap" argument, I would argue that they would save a lot more money just going with a smaller GPU with reasonable higher clocks, but still having lower performance than what they will get with 1536 CUDA cores (not to say they would also save on battery and cooling, while also making everything smaller and lighter)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I prefer handheld/Switch Lite if Nintendo sees this.

Thank you.

Personally, I prefer the Lite when traveling and playing in handheld mode, so I'd absolutely be down for a new Lite model.

The Switch Lite has been a success for Nintendo. It's very likely they'll release something similar with the next Switch.

That is pretty much the same power as the PS4 Pro. Sounds good(if true)

And it would obviously make sense for Nintendo to underclock the handheld mode to keep battery life and heat manageable.

If so, this will be a slick move by Nintendo. I don't think we need any more realism than the previous gen games like Uncharted 4, TLU, etc. And if priced right, Nintendo will restore its brand image as the premier gaming machine made for gamers just like NES, SNES, and N64.

Sony seems to be loosing it due to lack of exclusives. Nintendo is definitely on my watchlist now.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
a 4TF switch 2 would be amazing! with DLSS?

Ps4 quality Nintendo games at 60FPS with an internal resolution of like 720P? Would be awesome

I don't expecting anything above PS4 levels of graphics in handheld mode. You can do wonders with those resources. And you have much faster memory and some new fancy features on top. with 8 inch screen it's everything I want.

TFLOPS is a fundamental idea for guessing at what this thing may produce. Of course we would want to know this and anyone whining can get off their delusional high-horse, and stop pretending it doesn't matter. In the end, it seems as though the Switch 2 is almost as powerful as the Xbox Series S give or take some bandwidth, which isn't bad at all. It's a small nimble handheld and for it to be 4TFLOP is pretty spectacular considering the predecessor is 395 GLOPS. That's a very impressive leap.

ps4 pro power level + nvidia raytraicing + dlss3 = nintendo is come back to the graphics party
ehhhhh let's not get too crazy. Raytracing will be quite the feat for this thing. I doubt it will be used. If it does, then sweet. But that power should be used for image quality.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
5 watts… old node… I don’t it getting anywhere near 4 tf.

"I don't it" think you understand

4 TF figure would not be mobile to begin with. Just like Switch consumes a lot more watts when docked than mobile.

Switch in handheld as of right now consumes 6.5Watts while playing Zelda ToTK. What's so hard to believe Nintendo is not aiming for the same mobile power consumption.

And thinking that power consumption says anything about the performance, when not considering efficiency is ridiculous, have you never seen mobile performances?

FiGsXslWQAAwQP1

Snapdragon XR gen 2 was king of the hill in 2022 @ 7.5 Watts, beating Apple's M2 and M1 efficiency by quite a margin.

And its MLID to begin with... I mean yea.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Sadly, their most powerful consoles tend to be their biggest flops.
I think Nintendo's last successful console that was powerful was the SNES.

Switch 2 will sell gangbusters. Because of pokemon, mario, and other franchises.

Wii U failed because they didn't combine both handheld and console teams. They still were making 3DS games.

The switch has a ton of quality software coming out all the time. I don't see the switch 2 being any different. Handhelds sell.

Add in rumors of mario kart 9, xenoblade x, and a pokemon game being launch titles. Those sell millions of copies.

Quantum253

Gold Member
I would like a good RPG handheld. But, I must be honest, that Trophies/Achievements kind of destroyed playing games for me. Maybe Nintendy can kick that obsession

nvidia gpus have dedicated RT and AI (dlss) cores
While true, RT still affects performance. So it can at the cost of stripping down the resolution, framerate and effects, then using AI to rebuild at least the resolution. Overall it just doesn't seem like the way to go. I'd rather play Mario at native 2k than dynamic 720p/1080p upscaled to 4k with raytracing. The image quality would be a kick in the nuts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom