• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

aceface

I beat the Necromancer last night. I finally realized that my berserker sucked and turned her into a warrior. Much better results, the hit percentage for the warrior's attacks were a good 20-30% higher than the Berserker with all the same equipment and skills. Also that...Trusty Shot (I think it's called?) ability that the archer gets that costs 40 TP is really useful if you need a guaranteed hit. I wore down the skeletons and phantoms with my front line fighters, built up Canpous's TP and sent him up- one finishing move and one regular attack on the Necromancer took him down.

I then did the next few story missions which all seem really easy now.

aceface

Y2Kev said:
I wish I could tell who is equipped with what in the shop interface :(

I know, this is my one disappointment with the game. I hate having to check the stats for new equipment in the shop, exit and go into the party menu to see who needs what, exit and go back into the shop to buy the stuff, exit and go back into the menu to equip it, exit and go back into the shop to sell the old stuff. I loved the fitting room/try it on option in FFT, I wish they could have implemented that.

However one cool thing I noticed last night on the music menu is that there's a comment from the composer for every song. Awesome!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Oh I was about to ask if theres an easy way to compare equipment while buying.

Guess not, lol.

ferr

aceface said:
I beat the Necromancer last night. I finally realized that my berserker sucked and turned her into a warrior. Much better results, the hit percentage for the warrior's attacks were a good 20-30% higher than the Berserker with all the same equipment and skills. Also that...Trusty Shot (I think it's called?) ability that the archer gets that costs 40 TP is really useful if you need a guaranteed hit. I wore down the skeletons and phantoms with my front line fighters, built up Canpous's TP and sent him up- one finishing move and one regular attack on the Necromancer took him down.

I then did the next few story missions which all seem really easy now.
Tremendous Shot? Yeah it makes Archer awesome.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Took law.

lol, I decided with Chaos.

I felt like too much of an asshole with law. The only problem is that
vyce
feels like a comic-book villain in this path.

ferr said:
Tremendous Shot? Yeah it makes Archer awesome.

The warrior melee-equivalent is pretty decent as well.

Jerk 2.0 said:
lol, I decided with Chaos.

I felt like too much of an asshole with law. The only problem is that
vyce
feels like a comic-book villain in this path.

Normally I would take the Chaos path but I promised myself I'd
make more dark gray choices in RPGs rather than being super nice all the time.

sikkinixx

Fuck this bullshit ass guest AI. FUCK IT ALL TO HELL.

"hmm... well I know he fails the mission if I die.... so I think I'll run head on into the enemies and let their mages and archers kill me before he can heal me! GREAT IDEA!!"

Seriously, I've tried 6 times to save the Cristina chick now. Each time I am one turn away from winged dude getting to her and saving her with a +75HP potion when the enemy wizards fucking roast her. It's fucking awful. I'm 4 levels above the enemies, fucking mowing them down it's just I can't get over to her fast enough because of the logjam of people trying to squeeze through the buildings.

ARGGHH!

Yaweee

sikkinixx said:
Fuck this bullshit ass guest AI. FUCK IT ALL TO HELL.

"hmm... well I know he fails the mission if I die.... so I think I'll run head on into the enemies and let their mages and archers kill me before he can heal me! GREAT IDEA!!"

Seriously, I've tried 6 times to save the Cristina chick now. Each time I am one turn away from winged dude getting to her and saving her with a +75HP potion when the enemy wizards fucking roast her. It's fucking awful. I'm 4 levels above the enemies, fucking mowing them down it's just I can't get over to her fast enough because of the logjam of people trying to squeeze through the buildings.

ARGGHH!

Un equip the armor (but not weapons) from Vyce and Leonar. You'll then win due to how the AI works.

Does anyone anticipate the PSP getting dirt-ass cheap anytime soon? I want to play this game so fucking bad, but sold my PSP about 6 months ago. I'm surprised they haven't slashed prices on the Go yet.

Anno

Jimmy Stav said:
Does anyone anticipate the PSP getting dirt-ass cheap anytime soon? I want to play this game so fucking bad, but sold my PSP about 6 months ago. I'm surprised they haven't slashed prices on the Go yet.

I found out yesterday that used Gos are only $100 at Gamestop, much as I hate shopping there. I called around a bit and found one that I'm pretty sure has been used once, max. Now I've sunk 7 of the last 17 hours into the game.

zurra

Yaweee said:
Un equip the armor (but not weapons) from Vyce and Leonar. You'll then win due to how the AI works.
all that did for me is get vyce and a bunch of others killed - probably my lousy tactics. i also chose to not save her. got lucky the 2nd go and she blocked an attack that would have weakened her significantly, and moved enough squishies closer so the enemy started leaving her alone, letting me get in range to heal her. blocking an archer's attack is really what saved her and let me win, after that it was cake and i wiped the floor with all enemies on the map.

i don't suggest going the cheap route if you want a satisfying victory... choose to save her, send everyone forward, and hope the enemy doesn't wipe her out before you're in range to heal. :p

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Agh, I wish I pre-ordered this... those Tarot cards seem so nice. Akihiko Yoshida art. <3

Anyways, I just beat the Necromancer, though by the end 3 of my people had dropped... Managed to take him out with the MC before anyone died though.
But fuck Xybeth, running away after I did all that work to chase him down. :(

Shuusui

Feel like making an UBER party will be near impossible in this game. Everything's so well balanced...

One thing that bothers me is how slowly weapon skills take to level up. It's bonkers.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I took the Chaos route because I remembered it having the best line-up of special characters, but I just took a look at what they added for the Law route. Ha ha, oh man did I make the wrong choice. I
did the right thing
for completely superficial and self-serving reasons, but I would've been happy to
do the unthinkable
for the exact same reasons.

If only I had known.

Oh well. Been ages since I played Chaos anyhow.

ixix said:
I took the Chaos route because I remembered it having the best line-up of special characters, but I just took a look at what they added for the Law route. Ha ha, oh man did I make the wrong choice. I
did the right thing
for completely superficial and self-serving reasons, but I would've been happy to
do the unthinkable
for the exact same reasons.

If only I had known.

Oh well. Been ages since I played Chaos anyhow.

You know, you're kind of a terrible person. :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The between-chapter videos are very nice. Finally to chapter 2. Game is awesome, and looks so, so good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm onto Chapter 2 as well, Chaos route. Finally recruited an Octopus (two, in fact). Apparently my Beast Master couldn't recruit Golems yet? Shame.

I will say the system of class upgrades, and weapons are a bit underwhelming. There's a lot of micromanagement like any tactics title, but it feels like it's empty.

Yaweee said:
Golems are Golems, not Beasts. The Warlock/Siren (aka Dollmasters) recruit Golems.

I figured it was something of that sort. Thanks.

Yaweee

How did I not notice until now that there was an Auto-Equip option, and a good one at that?

EvilMario said:
I'm onto Chapter 2 as well, Chaos route. Finally recruited an Octopus (two, in fact). Apparently my Beast Master couldn't recruit Golems yet? Shame.

Golems are Golems, not Beasts. The Warlock/Siren (aka Dollmasters) recruit Golems.

Beasts are:
Cockatrices
Octopi
Cyclops
Gryphons

I don't think any beasts have class mechanics. What you recruit are what you get, but they have a huge number of unique special skills.

Dragons are:
Any of the ~10 varieties of dragons

Each dragon gets plenty of skills, and can switch between the varieties of dragons, but there is a lot of overlap in skills.

Most of the demi-humans have special classes that humans can't get, as well as some of the human ones.

Shouta

The inbtewen chapter videos were voiced in English in the JP version which totally surprised me. I bet it's the same video just without the Japanese subtitles.

Y2Kev

duckroll said:
Young man, what path did you walk?
Chaotic!

It's amazing how much the paths actually BRANCH in this game. This shits on modern games fretting about "moral choice" and "player agency."

duckroll

Shouta said:
The inbtewen chapter videos were voiced in English in the JP version which totally surprised me. I bet it's the same video just without the Japanese subtitles.

There's nothing really surprising about English scenes in Japanese versions of Matsuno games! In Vagrant Story, all the full screen wall-of-text narrative bits are in English with Japanese "subs" in the Japanese version too. In FFXII all the location names/subtitles when you first enter a new area were in English too. Matsuno <3 Alexander O Smith. We <3 him too!

Kalnos

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Chaotic!

It's amazing how much the paths actually BRANCH in this game. This shits on modern games fretting about "moral choice" and "player agency."

Especially considering that newer games usually give you a black/white choice which only effects the dialog and not the resulting story.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Fuck this class/skill system.

Leveling up new classes is such a pain in the ass...

preaching to the choir. Perhaps I skipped over this but what's the deal with my recruits alignments when I hire them? I'm certain I'm chaos because I've chosen answers talking about peace and freedom.

TheSeks said:
Why? Is Archer the best class in the game or something?
You can easily beat the game with an Archer, but at level 50 you'll have problems with octopus, dragons, and golems. I overcame this a bit unless they make me face 5 of one of them. I'll throw in the towel because my party would be obliterated. I did took on 4 octopus man it took forever with archer only party. All for the sake of stats.

Man Hell's Gate is going to take forever.

Warren and Lancelot I'm coming

Doubleshot makes archer even more awesome.

Shouta

Jerk 2.0 said:
Fuck this class/skill system.

Leveling up new classes is such a pain in the ass...

There's supposed to be one battle that you can repeat involving Haborym that makes leveling new classes very easy, I think it was in the Law path.

So is the Forbidden Magic/Apocrypha just as useless as in the original? Because I don't want to waste my time beating these 6 shrines for no real reward.

Totakeke

The right path of the optional dungeon where you fight only enemy human units that opens up in chapter 2 is pretty easy way to level up characters once you have like 3-4 reliable damage dealers.

Anno

I love that they went back and put in so much of the Ogre Battle score. Such awesome music to battle to. I was dubious about them remaking this game but, after 10 hours in less than a day, I'm convinced. What was once one of my favorite games ever has pretty much only been improved. I don't even want to know how much time I'm going to sink into this in the coming year.

RDreamer

Man this game can be really hard, and the movement system is just so completely annoying. I'm getting really angry at having only a few squares to move and half of them are blocked by my own guys because they also can't move worth a crap and the terrains hinder your movement even more.

epmode

duckroll said:
There's nothing really surprising about English scenes in Japanese versions of Matsuno games! In Vagrant Story, all the full screen wall-of-text narrative bits are in English with Japanese "subs" in the Japanese version too.
Speaking of which, when on earth are we going to get Vagrant Story on NA PSN? I'd really like to give it another try!

RDreamer said:
Man this game can be really hard, and the movement system is just so completely annoying. I'm getting really angry at having only a few squares to move and half of them are blocked by my own guys because they also can't move worth a crap and the terrains hinder your movement even more.

It's called level design.

And it's refreshing to have RPGs that actually take more than a few things into account in that regard.

RDreamer

Fimbulvetr said:
It's called level design.

And it's refreshing to have RPGs that actually take more than a few things into account in that regard.

Well it's really annoying when the computer controlled people have you completely blocked and you literally can't move anywhere. And they don't move at all for a few turns in a row.

I didn't realize the Ranger class could use guns. I was using him more like a Ninja with two swords, but it occurs to me that he could be even better as fast archer with bows and guns. I kind of wanted to do that with the Buccaneer, but he can only use the rimfire.

As Ninja/Archer/Fusilier hybrid, the Ranger is pretty damn versatile.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong with my party. I've been in chapter 2C for quite a while and my Denam is still in his starting class, Warrior. other reliable unit is Archer (canopus included since I almost never take him into melee), Wizard, and Cleric. even Knight seems useless because his damage output is not very high.

switching to new class is such a hassle because starting at level 1, the unit can never really participate in battle, it's made worse by good equipment needed high level requirement. so not only the new guy is gimped by his base stats, his shitty level 1 equipment is not helping either. so I have to do battles but keeping this particular unit away from the battle by moving him to the corner of the map.

got any tips for party setup please? I never felt powerful at all outside of a select party member.

Callibretto said:
even Knight seems useless because his damage output is not very high.

Knights can be front-line healers or stop units from getting to your mages with Rampant Aura (meaning you can be more lenient in regards to making a wall of melee fighters).

They're a defensive unit.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Man, Folcurt is pretty terrible now. Most of his stats are comparable to my generics, but his Agility and Avoid are awful. His Avoid stat is 27, which is 4 points lower than the second-worst dude I've got. I know he was never a character to write home about, but I'm pretty sure he at least used to be noticeably better than a generic.

This is without even commenting on his rather garish sprite. Fashion conscious he is not.

Totakeke said:
The right path of the optional dungeon where you fight only enemy human units that opens up in chapter 2 is pretty easy way to level up characters once you have like 3-4 reliable damage dealers.

This is what I've been doing to bring my classes up to par. Even got the item to make a Swordmaster out of the deal, only to find out that they've completely changed that class around. They now refuse to use anything other than one very specific style of sword that no other class uses. That's not really so much a Swordmaster as it is a Swordanalretentivedouchebag.

Y2Kev

Fuck you, Arycelle. I know you for who you really are: Aloser. You are an idiot and a dumb piece of shit.

Y2Kev

Fimbulvetr said:
She one-shotting your mages from halfway across the map? :p
No, she's walking into the enemy when I'm trying to save her. I already finished that mission (and the one after!).

The game's difficulty has been massively tuned (that is, made tolerable), but the hardest part of the game remains saving retards from themselves.

Top Bottom