• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

RS4-

Lol I'm not happy with the Arcyelle and
Vyce
battle in chap 2 chaos or whatever it is.

I wish I could grind my rogue but it's a mandatory battle lol.

Jerk

Banned
Y2Kev said:
No, she's walking into the enemy when I'm trying to save her. I already finished that mission (and the one after!).

The game's difficulty has been massively tuned (that is, made tolerable), but the hardest part of the game remains saving retards from themselves.

Yeah, I had very little trouble with the game until the missions where I had to keep her alive.

Good thing that the RNG is so transparently abuseable.

Also, anyone else surprised by how challenging the game is even with the use of the wheel? I am starting to suspect that the devs 'tuned' the western versions of this game.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Arycelle is mercifully willing to run and cower in a corner in that battle if you take her bow away.

Dumb though the AI may be, it is at the very least unwilling to attempt to punch an entire enemy army to death.

Jerk

Banned
ixix said:
Arycelle is mercifully willing to run and cower in a corner in that battle if you take her bow away.

Dumb though the AI may be, it is at the very least unwilling to attempt to punch an entire enemy army to death.

I have also found that equipping her with a longbow helps if you want her to be 'useful.'

Edit:

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Another fucking class to level up!!!! God I hate this game.

Yaweee

Jerk 2.0 said:
I have also found that equipping her with a longbow helps if you want her to be 'useful.'

Edit:

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Another fucking class to level up!!!! God I hate this game.

lol, get used to it. You start with fewer than 20% of the total classes in the game.

Leveling them is easier if you use fewer than the total allowed, due to the exp division and the (I think) % bonus given to classes lower than the enemy.

Jerk

Banned
As frustrating as the game can be menu/management-wise, the moment I get into a story battle I fall in love all over again.

Yaweee said:
lol, get used to it. You start with fewer than 20% of the total classes in the game.

Leveling them is easier if you use fewer than the total allowed, due to the exp division and the (I think) % bonus given to classes lower than the enemy.

Yeah I know all that. My problem is that I have a 0-grind policy when it comes to games and this game is testing the limits of my resolve.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Yeah I know all that. My problem is that I have a 0-grind policy when it comes to games and this game is testing the limits of my resolve.

I seem to be getting away with using lvl 1 units during story fights.

I've only been in 2 non story battles so far.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Y2Kev said:
The game's difficulty has been massively tuned (that is, made tolerable), but the hardest part of the game remains saving retards from themselves.

I think those are the only missions you can actually lose in, that's probably why they are there haha

Yaweee

The second half of 3L is like a huge string of battles with awesome shit to recruit. Lamias, Hoplites, Juggernauts, Matriarchs, Golems, Cockatrices, and now a Necromancer? Golfham.

ferr said:
So you can't see stats of items in the crafting list? Makes sense.

Worst crafting system ever, possibly. And I don't mean to sound like comic book guy. Really, it's like they managed to do every single thing wrong with it. I look forward to crafting the expendable that acts as a shortcut during Hell Gate. However, it might just be faster to fight through the 25 floor sections rather than use the item.

Yaweee said:
Worst crafting system ever, possibly. And I don't mean to sound like comic book guy. Really, it's like they managed to do every single thing wrong with it.

Maybe instead of adding that to shops, they should have added outfitting.

rosjos44

Well chapter one is over. I love this game more than any SRPG (well I liked it on the SNES too). Btw,
did anyone choose to kill the villagers? I was going to do it but then restart the battle and tried to save them.

rosjos44 said:
Well chapter one is over. I love this game more than any SRPG (well I liked it on the SNES too). Btw, did anyone choose
to kill the villagers? I was going to do it but then restart the battle and tried to save them.

Spoilers man, and yes.

rosjos44

Fimbulvetr said:
Spoilers man, and yes.

Sorry I fixed it. Well on to chapter 2! I am trying to get my wizard so powerful! I love wizards.

a question;

Does the girl (I forget her name the lady that joined your team as a guest) die if you take the option to kill them? Go figure the damn duke goes out to hunt my ass because I did not want to follow his one command.

rosjos44 said:
Sorry I fixed it. Well on to chapter 2! I am trying to get my wizard so powerful! I love wizards.

a question;

Does the girl (I forget her name the lady that joined your team as a guest) die if you take the option to kill them? Go figure the damn duke goes out to hunt my ass because I did not want to follow his one command.

If you
kill them, Ravness turns on you for the next fight. In order to recruit her you have to leave her alone and concentrate on the Galgastani, save her in an optional mission early in the next chapter, and then do something else I haven't gotten up to yet.

rosjos44

Fimbulvetr said:
If you
kill them, Ravness turns on you for the next fight. In order to recruit her you have to leave her alone and concentrate on the Galgastani, save her in an optional mission early in the next chapter, and then do something else I haven't gotten up to yet.

Well it looks like I will not be doing that until my second play through or something.
I hated V, he was annoying and a tool. However, Ravness was a good guest character and stayed alive more than V. Sheesh =/ She will be missed *Crys*

zurra

just made it to chapter 2, law route. that final battle of chapter one was nuts, probably more difficult than the
Nebyth
battle simply because
i wasn't about to let Ravness die and ruin my chances of recruiting her. putting her to sleep helped until she woke up and yelled at me about being an ogre, then promptly used Ruination on Donnalto and one-shot him!
this game is wonderful and so intense. looking forward to what surprises chapter 2 holds.

Masaki_

Yeah, the crafting system kinda sucks, but the weapons you can craft make all the difference, especially when everyone's damage output is so low.

AleeN634

Is it better to focus wizards on one type of magic or spend the points and spread it out to cover the spread of elements?

I choose to not attack the village which puts me on the Chaos path I think.
It's kinda cool how this game does the whole morality scale in a differently by weighing the action as lawful/chaos instead of good/bad. I hope other choices are as interesting as the first one.

zurra said:
just made it to chapter 2, law route. that final battle of chapter one was nuts, probably more difficult than the
Nebyth
battle simply because
i wasn't about to let Ravness die and ruin my chances of recruiting her. putting her to sleep helped until she woke up and yelled at me about being an ogre, then promptly used Ruination on Donnalto and one-shot him!
this game is wonderful and so intense. looking forward to what surprises chapter 2 holds.

Heh. During that fight
I stunned her with my Wizard on his second turn and put her to sleep on his third. By the time she woke up a Rune Fencer and Valkyrie had crossed my defensive lines and were really god damn tenacious.

But thing thing about Ravness during that battle is that she will attack the Galgastani as well. She one-shotted the Rune Fencer and by the time she was finished with the Valkyrie I had already taken out the last unit with my Octopus and Canopus.

Joei

This might be a silly question, but this game is downloadable on PSN, does that mean I can play it on my ps3? I've never downloaded a game from there before.

Seda

Just started the game. Doing some random battles to get used to the game.
Canopus
is godly at the moment.

oracrest

I figured out that my archers can fire outside of their target zone. So far it seems like it's just a tile further with my long bows.

Masaki_

oracrest said:
I figured out that my archers can fire outside of their target zone. So far it seems like it's just a tile further with my long bows.

The range increases the higher your archer is, sometimes you can shoot a target 5 tiles farther than the regular range. Trajectory helps a lot with this.

Yaweee

I'm up to 33 classes in my list, though I think I don't think I really have access to 2 or 3 of those yet. I haven't had a chance to use many of them, sadly. My highest are still only level 15 near the end of C3, and side battles are too hard to bring more than 1 class to level at a time. Story battles can easily manage 2.

oracrest said:

Like the other said, use Trajectory. The actual range trajectories can be difficult to learn, but at equal height it is usually one longer range, more if you're at a higher eight, and shorter if you're at a lower height than the target. Boulders from Beasts and Dragons follow similar rules. Neither Crossbows or Darts can shoot beyond their range and follow straight trajectories.

Crakatak187 said:
So far level 19 in Hell's gate. Man this going to take me a week to pass.

And it takes multiple times to truly finish.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Y2Kev said:
No, she's walking into the enemy when I'm trying to save her. I already finished that mission (and the one after!).

Just did this myself. Took a while for the odds to fall in my favor. The enemies were all hitting her with 50-80% chances, and frequently critical hitting her. I pilled all my fast healing units (Knights) on that side, and rushed it. Eventually, I was able to make it in time to stop the slaughter.

am I to understand that while shopping for gear there is no easy way to compare what your units are using and what is available to buy? No fitting room type setup?

If not, shame on you, square.

creid

I'm 3 battles in to Chapter 3L, and I hit a choice that didn't make any sense to me.

(really pretty minor spoilers)

I stormed Brigantys Castle and found that Galgastani traitors were trapped in the dungeon. The man in charge of the keep asked me if the enemies of the Hierophant were my enemies as well. My choices were:

1. Of course they're not.
2. How could they be?

To me, both of these answers equate to "no." I picked 1, and now I have the title saying "Told the Galgastani you met at Brigantys Castle that the people of Galgastan were your enemy." Huh?
Apparently picking the other choice would've let me recruit someone, but I'm not sure how someone is supposed to make this decision. They may as well have given me a choice between "Yes." and "Sure."

Ikkarus

I had a go on this with my friends PSP. Just have a few questions before I start on my merry adventure with it on Friday.

I like the Rune Fencer / Valkyrie although I don't find them all that useful..am I doing something wrong? Their spears are great at hitting two foes but their damage kind of sucks and their magic is rather lacking too...

When I pick up bags on the battle field and there is a spell in it I get asked if I want to learn it..does that apply to the unit who picked it up? If I pick no does it go in to my inventory?

Lastly, what is the difference between the crossbow and the bow? It seems the bow is much better all round but there must be something I have missed with the crossbow? Does it usually deal more damage? I just find the fact you can hit further with the bow and you're not restricted by your position much more favourable to me.

Really can't wait to start playing this properly when it comes out this week. :)

Anno

Ikkarus said:
I had a go on this with my friends PSP. Just have a few questions before I start on my merry adventure with it on Friday.

I like the Rune Fencer / Valkyrie although I don't find them all that useful..am I doing something wrong? Their spears are great at hitting two foes but their damage kind of sucks and their magic is rather lacking too...

When I pick up bags on the battle field and there is a spell in it I get asked if I want to learn it..does that apply to the unit who picked it up? If I pick no does it go in to my inventory?

Lastly, what is the difference between the crossbow and the bow? It seems the bow is much better all round but there must be something I have missed with the crossbow? Does it usually deal more damage? I just find the fact you can hit further with the bow and you're not restricted by your position much more favourable to me.

Really can't wait to start playing this properly when it comes out this week. :)

1. Rune Fencers/Valkyries are handy for their versatility but, sadly, don't make the strongest of companions.
If you really like using them there is at least one special character to recruit that should perform better
. Give them lots of cards and you can probably turn them into something useful. Playing the game without using all of the special characters is fun in itself.

2. The unit who picks it up would learn it. If you choose no then it does go into your inventory. You can learn it from there or learn it later on the battlefield by selecting "Arcana" from the act list.

3. You can fire out of range with a bow, but not with a crossbow. Crossbow bolts don't arc so they seem to be better for fighting on flatter surfaces and in close quarters. Frankly I've put in hundreds of hours on this game between the PSP and PS1 versions and may never have used a crossbow more than a handful of times so I might not be the best person to answer the question.

Regardless, it's an amazing game. Glad to see so many people are getting a chance to play it now.

Ikkarus

Anno said:
1. Rune Fencers/Valkyries are handy for their versatility but, sadly, don't make the strongest of companions.
If you really like using them there is at least one special character to recruit that should perform better
. Give them lots of cards and you can probably turn them into something useful. Playing the game without using all of the special characters is fun in itself.

2. The unit who picks it up would learn it. If you choose no then it does go into your inventory. You can learn it from there or learn it later on the battlefield by selecting "Arcana" from the act list.

3. You can fire out of range with a bow, but not with a crossbow. Crossbow bolts don't arc so they seem to be better for fighting on flatter surfaces and in close quarters. Frankly I've put in hundreds of hours on this game between the PSP and PS1 versions and may never have used a crossbow more than a handful of times so I might not be the best person to answer the question.

Regardless, it's an amazing game. Glad to see so many people are getting a chance to play it now.

Thanks for the advice. :)

1. I think I know who you mean about recruiting a certain someone. I shall keep an eye out.

Whilst on the subject of recruiting I played out the Cristina rescue mission and opted to save her but when I completed the mission there was a scene and I was left two options but Vyse pissed her off and therefore she left without joining me, did I pick the wrong option? I stated I wanted peace.

2. Ah okay, thats good to know going forward.

3. Bow > Crossbow more times than I can remember so I'll stick with it then. :)
Is the accuracy of the crossbow affected by weather as well?

Ok....a little help?

I'm in the Arycelle fight and here running out there isn't helping. I read a few posts up above about taking her bow away but how the heck do I even do that? I try diversions but no luck.

Urban Scholar said:
Ok....a little help?

I'm in the Arycelle fight and here running out there isn't helping. I read a few posts up above about taking her bow away but how the heck do I even do that? I try diversions but no luck.

Are you fighting with her or against her?

sikkinixx

Like many others I beat chapter 1 last night. I think I am grinding too much, I mow through the story battles with ease. Archers + longbow + tremendous shot= win. I chose Chaos route I... Though it confused me a little, since I was thinking I was being a good guy by my choice but I guess I wasn't obeying the law (no matter how fucking stupid it was) so yeah. Go chaos!

RS4- said:
Lol I'm not happy with the Arcyelle and
Vyce
battle in chap 2 chaos or whatever it is.

I wish I could grind my rogue but it's a mandatory battle lol.
I just let her die. I spent a couple hours of my life trying to rush out to save her last night, but again and again, she would chose to run farther away and get herself killed. Wish I read about taking her weapon away sooner, but you can't have everything.

Glennct

sikkinixx said:
Like many others I beat chapter 1 last night. I think I am grinding too much, I mow through the story battles with ease. Archers + longbow + tremendous shot= win. I chose Chaos route I... Though it confused me a little, since I was thinking I was being a good guy by my choice but I guess I wasn't obeying the law (no matter how fucking stupid it was) so yeah. Go chaos!

I'm pretty much in the same boat! Very different from other games in regards of moral choices... chaos sounds "evil" so to speak, but I'm sure I made the right choice for me.

Also, just like Ikkarus, I'm curious as to his question #1 regarding Cistina. I wound't mind search on gamefaqs or other places but I really don't want to get spoiled in the process, so if anyone could answer that would be awesome....

Anno

It's weird to hear so many people having problems with guest AI. Maybe I'm just lucky. I've saved every guest on the first attempt by just rushing Canopus and another winged to them.

Anyone know how diverse the dragon classes are? My Arc Dragon is only level 7 and already has like 10 cool skills avaiable I want to use. Hoping the others aren't differentiated just be element.

careful

For the few save AI missions I did so far (Christina, Arycelle) I had Canopus and other low RT units with heal start off closest to the AI. Try to rush to them and remember you can have Canopus do an on-the-fly ranged Heal arcana or throw some potions. Add that to his movement range and it's usually good enough to reach them for the initial heal. It's important to keep them healed up after the initial heal because the AI is in full hero mode the whole time. I wish I could set them on the same AI as Catiua with her useless hide in corner routine.

Soulhouf

Ikkarus said:
Thanks for the advice. :)

Whilst on the subject of recruiting I played out the Cristina rescue mission and opted to save her but when I completed the mission there was a scene and I was left two options but Vyse pissed her off and therefore she left without joining me, did I pick the wrong option? I stated I wanted peace.
She will join you later if you follow the chaos path.

For those who don't get the how the alignments work, check it:

http://i.imgur.com/GijSF.jpg

Good/Neutral/Evil are moral alignments. They ask "Should I do the 'right' thing?".

Law/Neutral/Chaos are ethical alignments. They ask "What defines right and wrong?".

Chaos isn't always evil, it's just that many generic villains happen to be anarchists.

Law isn't always good, just look at any asshole-ish dictator for proof.

Top Bottom