• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
So close to that 1H Sword finisher. :(

Also the Bow finisher tends to be better than the Axe finisher on non-squishy targets.

Yeah. I still use the bow finisher, the ax is only for workhorse stuff.

Basileus777 said:
The first crossbow finisher can hit 5 enemies at once. It's probably the best finisher I've seen, better than the level 6 finishers I've unlocked.

Say no more.

I was reading a few posts just now, is it really all that beneficial to recruit monsters into the team? What I'm asking is that will having them with me make battles later on more manageable? I'm also thinking of making Denam a ninja for dual wielding but I wonder if that will even be worth it.

Yaweee

Urban Scholar said:
I was reading a few posts just now, is it really all that beneficial to recruit monsters into the team? What I'm asking is that will having them with me make battles later on more manageable? I'm also thinking of making Denam a ninja for dual wielding but I wonder if that will even be worth it.

Yes, Monsters can be awesome, as can the various Demi-human races. I think straight Humans can't even be half of the total classes.

oracrest

a couple questions.

1. How does recruit work? I have tried it on humans that are just down to 1 hp, and my chances are still 0% I feel like I am missing a key step to the process.

2. What is the spoiler on rescuing the woman in chapter 2 via the optional quest? I want to make sure I save her.

oracrest said:
What is the spoiler on rescuing the woman in chapter 2 via the optional quest? I want to make sure I save her.

Which woman? There are lots.
Urban Scholar said:

Gryphons are wonderful in urban or cliff filled areas since you can just send them off with Canopus to roof tops to get rid of the squishies with boulders and arrows.

Octopi are generally amazing.

Don't know about Cyclops.

Dragons have heavy damage, absurd health, and elemental abilities going for them.

Yaweee

oracrest said:
a couple questions.

1. How does recruit work? I have tried it on humans that are just down to 1 hp, and my chances are still 0% I feel like I am missing a key step to the process.

2. What is the spoiler on rescuing the woman in chapter 2 via the optional quest? I want to make sure I save her.

Look at the guide in the in-game tutorial.

Factors:
- Proximity to enemy. Be next to them
- The lower the HP the better the odds.
- Enemy Loyalty. Open their status, press Select, and browse over their name for a hint
- Whether you have the correct Racial skill (Anatomy, Draconology, etc.)

You can use Chariot to reposition yourself and try again

The various recruit abilities, which require ~40 TP to cast (some names are wrong):
Recruit: Humans and Wingmen, from many classes.
Coax: Reptiles (Lizardmen and Lamia), learnable by Wizards
Subdue: Beasts (Griffons, Octopi, Cyclops, Cockatrice), learnable by Beast Masters
Tame: Dragons (all 10 dragon types), learnable by Beastmasters
Recruit Golems: Golems (various Golem types), learnable by Warlocks/Witches
Fey something: Fairies, learnable by Vartans
Recruit Undead: Undead (Skeletons and Ghost), from Necromancers
Recruit Umbra: Umbra (Orcs and Gremlins), from Liches

The bolded are the demi-human classes that have some of the human classes, and some unavailable to humans.

I plan on working on a full Class overview guide. In chapter 3, I have access to I think... 31 classes? I really want to try some of them out.

Fimbulvetr said:

Gryphons are wonderful in urban or cliff filled areas since you can just send them off with Canopus to roof tops to get rid of the squishies with boulders and arrows.

Hmm, that does sound rather versatile for battle purposes and so do the octopi. I was the guide wasn't delayed so I could read it when the chance arrived at work.

oracrest said:
On law route?
1) Don't kill Ravness at end of Chapter 1 (Law route)
2) Read news about Ravness's capture in chapter 2, then save her in Reizen, which opens up after you read the news in the warren report.
3) Read the news about rulers of Coritanae going missing in chapter 3.
4) Use Jeunan in Vahanna fight and hear all his and Denam's dialogue.
6) Take Coritanae castle, then go back to Vahanna to save Ravness. Listen to her conversation with Denam before finishing map.

oracrest

Fimbulvetr said:

The one you fight in the first battle of chapter 2.

Basileus777 said:
On law route?
1) Don't kill Ravness at end of Chapter 1 (Law route)
2) Read news about Ravness's capture in chapter 2, then save her in Reizen, which opens up after you read the news in the warren report.
3) Read the news about rulers of Coritanae going missing in chapter 3.
4) Use Jeunan in Vahanna fight and hear all his and Denam's dialogue.
6) Take Coritanae castle, then go back to Vahanna to save Ravness. Listen to her conversation with Denam before finishing map.

Thanks, I will have to keep up on the warren report. I have been ignoring it so far.

Boney

Banned
I'm thinking about getting this. Does the game have a steep learning curve as this thread is making it sound? A friend lent me the GBA one back in the day and I didn't have much problems.

Any tips for a starter?

Anno

Boney said:
I'm thinking about getting this. Does the game have a steep learning curve as this thread is making it sound? A friend lent me the GBA one back in the day and I didn't have much problems.

Any tips for a starter?

It's more involved than the GBA title but I wouldn't say it has an outsized learning curve. If you like games of this type I'd say it's pretty much required playing.

Apparently in some locations, you can get knocked off the edge of the map, and it results in instant death. Someone counter-attacked Denam, got a critical, knocked him back and instantly killed him.

Boney

Banned
Anno said:
It's more involved than the GBA title but I wouldn't say it has an outsized learning curve. If you like games of this type I'd say it's pretty much required playing.
Cool, I'll get it when it comes out.

Skilletor said:
Whoa, I thought the Warren Report was just the version of story recap we had in FFT. I didn't know it opened up sidequests.

Yeah, the talk section is pretty important and worth checking after major events. Even the tidings section isn't just a recap, there are a few scenes you can watch from there that they don't normally show you. For example in the Law route you can see (big spoilers)
Balxephon's confession to Ozma and the destruction of the Liberation front
, scenes you don't see otherwise. I'm sure the chaos and neutral routes have things like too.

Yaweee

Skilletor said:
Whoa, I thought the Warren Report was just the version of story recap we had in FFT. I didn't know it opened up sidequests.

The "Talk" option was at bars in FFT, and it opened up sidequests. It's just been moved to the Warren Report here.

It is very important in unlocking MANY sidequests. The Wildwood dungeon has been my favorite part of the game so far.

FFT had several scenes that were Report only, as well.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
When you recruit a character of a class you don't have, will they come in at level 1 or as whatever level they were at?

pelicansurf said:
When you recruit a character of a class you don't have, will they come in at level 1 or as whatever level they were at?

Level 1.

It's a pain, but you're going to have to get used to leveling classes from level one if you want to use new classes or unique characters.

vic2020

Neo Member
Yaweee said:
The "Talk" option was at bars in FFT, and it opened up sidequests. It's just been moved to the Warren Report here.

It is very important in unlocking MANY sidequests. The Wildwood dungeon has been my favorite part of the game so far.

I just found out about this and unlocked the branching forest dungeon near the end of chapter three. Did I miss a ton of sidequests in the first two chapters?

Yaweee

pelicansurf said:

Level 1. Every class starts at level one.

Leveling them isn't as slow as people make it out to be due to the Bonus EXP given to lower level classes.

vic2020 said:
I just found out about this and unlocked the branching forest dungeon near the end of chapter three. Did I miss a ton of sidequests in the first two chapters?

I don't think any of the TALK sidequests are missable. They just sit there, waiting for attention.

Fimbulvetr said:
Is it possible to beat that Terror Knight in chapter two with the army of healers?

Yes. If you kill the lead healer before he retreats, he'll stay and fight you. You get a title for killing him there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Basileus777 said:
Level 1.

It's a pain, but you're going to have to get used to leveling classes from level one if you want to use new classes or unique characters.

However, they'll gain Experience from the battle at hand. For instance, I just recruited a Terror Knight (Chapter 2, random encounter), and he is Level 4 thanks to the experience from the battle he was recruited in.

Yaweee said:
I don't think any of the TALK sidequests are missable. They just sit there, waiting for attention.

Some of them definitely are missable without WORLD. There are a ton of sidequests in chapter 4, and some of them need to be triggered before certain main story events. There's also one in chapter 2 law that can missed.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
Some of them definitely are missable without WORLD. There are a ton of sidequests in chapter 4, and some of them need to be triggered before certain main story events. There's also one in chapter 2 law that can missed.

Ah, good point.

Basileus777 said:
Yes. If you kill the lead healer before he retreats, he'll stay and fight you. You get a title for killing him there.

That is some great game design and character interaction.

Good thing I made a separate save for it.

ferr

Fimbulvetr said:
That is some great game design and character interaction.

Good thing I made a separate save for it.
It has an affect on a battle in 3L if you kill him if I know which guy you're talking about.

Skilletor

Yaweee said:

Really? Mind giving a few examples? I have played it 2309482095890 times, but I never messed around with the reports. I really thought it was just recaps.

Apparently the AI knows how to exploit instant death from knocking a unit off the screen. They were attacking my units with shields to knock them off.

I'm slowing making my way through this as time allows. Still on chapter one and stuck on the battle where you can choose the save the girl or not. I can't not save her but she always get's herself killed before I can get a healer over to her.

I'm grinding a few random battles to see if that helps.

Dogfacedgod said:
I'm slowing making my way through this as time allows. Still on chapter one and stuck on the battle where you can choose the save the girl or not. I can't not save her but she always get's herself killed before I can get a healer over to her.

I'm grinding a few random battles to see if that helps.
I had trouble with that one as well. It was mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, but the only trick I found to work was to unequip Vyce (you can also unequip Leonar or both of them). In this example, Vyce now moved first and then distracted most of the ranged units that were problematic so that I could get a knight with heal within five squares of her. Apparently, the AI knows to go after low-hanging fruit, so someone with no armor becomes the more attractive target as opposed to Cistina.

If that doesn't help you can always just choose the second option so that you don't have to save her.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is Anatomy worth buying? I just bought it for Canopius (the bird unit) to see if it's useful for the Necromancer battle now that Canopius is level 7 in his default class. The Necromancer is human, so the "damage buff" should be useful, even if it's only 1/2 points extra damage. :/

Yaweee

TheSeks said:
Is Anatomy worth buying? I just bought it for Canopius (the bird unit) to see if it's useful for the Necromancer battle now that Canopius is level 7 in his default class. The Necromancer is human, so the "damage buff" should be useful, even if it's only 1/2 points extra damage. :/

Yes, Anatomy is worth buying, for pretty much every single person in your party. 90% of the enemies you face during the main battles are human.

It's all quite a bit more balanced when you're doing the extra content (which, in terms of # of battles, is far longer than the main game)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yaweee said:
Yes, Anatomy is worth buying, for pretty much every single person in your party. 90% of the enemies you face during the main battles are human.

That's what I figured. But I wanted to make sure the "LOL IT'S ONLY 1/2 POINTS DAMAGE EXTRA" wasn't the downside.

Guess I'll try this battle again... wish me luck. :/

careful

I don't know. I put Anatomy on and didn't notice any difference. Do you need to level it up before it becomes decently effective?

duckroll

I have 4 Gryphons now. Why? I have no idea, I felt like farming the Wildwood to level my Beast Tamer up a bit, but in the process couldn't stop recruiting them from the first map. Lol. :(

I like the changes they've made to the last battle.
Dopplegangers!

Edit: Damn.
Now I know how it feels. DoppleArycelle is one-shoting my mages with crits. Ninja Denam and Vyce with their double attacks are nasty.

it went unanswered but I was wondering if it's possible when you're buying equipment to see it compared to what members of your team are currently using or do you have to just guess or write down what your guys are using.. if so that's dumb.

oracrest said:
a couple questions.

I could be completely wrong, but I think you can only recruit during random battles.

Skilletor

SonOfABeep said:
it went unanswered but I was wondering if it's possible when you're buying equipment to see it compared to what members of your team are currently using or do you have to just guess or write down what your guys are using.. if so that's dumb.

It is not possible and it is dumb.

So should I just click through the entire Warren Report and always keep tabs on new stuff that shows up in it? Or is there any way you can screw anything up by looking at things too early?

Yaweee

SonOfABeep said:
wow. the fitting room feature was like the best thing in FFT. Why wouldn't they just rip that off?

Because apparently Matsuno and pals are terrible at designing interfaces, and just because there was something nice in a previous game doesn't mean they won't forget it about it in their next.

Honestly, the shop thing is a minor annoyance; there is a strict rough L1, L4, L7, L10, L14... etc. hierarchy to equipment of each type. It is nothing compared to the travesty of crafting. I'll eventually use that at the end game, but the increase of each tier of gear is greater than the +1 bonuses, etc. Only the Ailment Blowguns have been worthwhile up to C3.

Vincent Alexander said:
I could be completely wrong, but I think you can only recruit during random battles.

Any battle, but not leaders or plot-important enemies. I've recruited tons of enemies in story battles.

chris-013

duckroll said:
I have 4 Gryphons now. Why? I have no idea, I felt like farming the Wildwood to level my Beast Tamer up a bit, but in the process couldn't stop recruiting them from the first map. Lol. :(

I was in a battle in chapter 1 against a best tamer and 2 gryphons... His beasts are too powerful even more than dragon !

So I'm just at the beginning of chapter 2. Chaos path !
About the end of chapter 1 :
Wow, I was speechless when leonard asked to kill the villagers, I told myself : "What ?" and it was funny when denam answered exactly the same ! ^^

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Yaweee said:
Honestly, the shop thing is a minor annoyance; there is a strict L1, L4, L7, L10, L14... etc. hierarchy to equipment of each type. It is nothing compared to the travesty of crafting.

The level hierarchy isn't that strict. There's a lot of ancillary stuff about the equipment other than their raw power and how many hands they require. Even weapons of the same type routinely have different damage types, like the zany two-handed katana that does blunt damage, which I take to mean that it is basically a lead pipe attached to a hilt. Then there's stuff like Baldur equipment boosting Int, and the somewhat arbitrary restrictions on what classes can use what subset of each weapon type. Like Terror Knights being able to use two-handed axes but not one-handed axes, or Ninjas being able to use piercing daggers but not slashing daggers.

With as much as the game seems to expect you to keep abreast of in terms of equipment stats and restrictions, a fitting room would be mighty handy.

Crafting does suck, though. No argument there.

Nothing induces rage like trying to craft an item with an 80% chance to succeed and failing 6 times in a row. It's even worse later on when you have to craft items in chains to meet prerequisites. Besides being so damn slow, why...why would they add a chance to fail? It's so poorly done.

Top Bottom