• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Yaweee

PSP doesn't support patches, does it? Damn, it would be nice if they could fix crafting some day. It feels like a huge blight on an otherwise well-made game.

ixix said:
The level hierarchy isn't that strict. There's a lot of ancillary stuff about the equipment other than their raw power and how many hands they require. Even weapons of the same type routinely have different damage types, like the zany two-handed katana that does blunt damage, which I take to mean that it is basically a lead pipe attached to a hilt. Then there's stuff like Baldur equipment boosting Int, and the somewhat arbitrary restrictions on what classes can use what subset of each weapon type. Like Terror Knights being able to use two-handed axes but not one-handed axes, or Ninjas being able to use piercing daggers but not slashing daggers.

With as much as the game seems to expect you to keep abreast of in terms of equipment stats and restrictions, a fitting room would be mighty handy.

Crafting does suck, though. No argument there.

I use the FFTA2 Crappy Shop Interface approach: Just buy at least one of everything. But at least that game showed the number equipped/owned =(

Not to mention that there's rarely much in the shop that you won't get as drops. Weapons of some of the rarer classes, yes, but I haven't found much else.

ferr

Yaweee said:
PSP doesn't support patches, does it? Damn, it would be nice if they could fix crafting some day. It feels like a huge blight on an otherwise well-made game.

I use the FFTA2 Crappy Shop Interface approach: Just buy at least one of everything. But at least that game showed the number equipped/owned =(

Not to mention that there's rarely much in the shop that you won't get as drops. Weapons of some of the rarer classes, yes, but I haven't found much else.
It shows equipped/owned if you attempt to buy the item.

I took Gatialo down.

I caught him in
an infinite loop by surrounding him with my melee units. Every time he killed my rune fencer I would revive, but not heal him so that he would always attack that one person.

Still surprised I managed to take a unit almost twice my average party level.

Yaweee

ferr said:
It shows equipped/owned if you attempt to buy the item.

Yes, I know, but I was referring to FFTA2 showing it right next to the item name. That makes it a lot easier to look at the entire shop in 10 seconds and buy what you need.

Yuterald

I've been playing this game nonstop since I picked it up last week and it's easily becoming my favorite SRPG again. It's been years since I played the PSone version, but this remake is absolutely god-tier and it's reminding me of better days.

I am on Chapter 3C with no ally incapacitations, deaths, or chariot uses! I feel pretty bad ass about it so far and I have barely begun to grind! It is definitely overwhelming to get access to like 3-4 classes and they all begin at level 1 though. I just BARELY got through two story maps with 4 different classes at level 1 in Chapter 3. I am really trying to play efficiently so I don't have to resort to grinding until I at least clear the game once.

duckroll

Finished Chapter 2 Law. Man the end of the chapter and the start of Chapter 3 Law are just such awesome moments. I WILL FEAR NO REPROACH! Omgggg.

twothreesix

Neo Member
Leveling up new classes was better in the original release, and it sucked in the original. Standing around in training mode and throwing rocks at each other was boring, but you at least had full control over it.

In the new one the process is:
Enter random battle with low level character -> enemies target new character and he dies early -> retreat because there's no way you're gonna finish in three turns ->
Enter new random battle -> new battle has five flying beats -> retreat because there's no way you're gonna win this one with a low lvl character ->
Enter new random battle -> low lvl character dies in second turn -> get frustrated and turn the game off.

This and the UI (seriously Square?) are major blemishes on an otherwise great game.

twothreesix said:
Leveling up new classes was better in the original release, and it sucked in the original. Standing around in training mode and throwing rocks at each other was boring, but you at least had full control over it.

Enter random battle with low level character -> enemies target new character and he dies early -> retreat because there's no way you're gonna finish in three turns ->
Enter new random battle -> new battle has five flying beats -> retreat because there's no way you're gonna win this one with a low lvl character ->
Enter new random battle -> low lvl character dies in second turn -> get frustrated and turn the game off.

These three complaints are based entirely on player skill and not set in stone like the shitty training mode:

1) Keep your new Class unit in the back. This works especially well if they have some sort of ranged attack(which most of them do).

2) Stop being cheap and use the Revive item. It shouldn't be too hard to manage funds, I've never gone below 15000 Goth. Just remember to sell Oberyths and useless equipment.

Basileus777 said:
I'm sure someone will make a CWCheat code for 100% crafting. At least that part of it can be "fixed."

It looks like someone has already done it:

_C0 Mixing success rate 100%
_L 0x201285B4 0x10000015
_L 0x2012860C 0x340200FF

jiggle

twothreesix said:

train in reisan way
you can deploy 12 characters at a time
a big enough party where you can afford 1-2 spots for lowbies and still have enough man power
and most of the mobs are so far away from the party that they will almost never reach the lowbies
2 archers and canopus can take care of what little mobs near party in 1-2 turns
and a wizard can keep a dragon petrified indefinitely

daffy

Banned
I've been thinking about buying this game for awhile and I have just one question, hopefully someone can help here. Is grinding in this game necessary? If so, is it at least enjoyable? I absolutely despise grinding the same areas and replaying battles more than twice, it was because of this that I stopped playing Resonance of Fate and other RPGs...

A game like Pokemon or KH: Birth By Sleep for instance, where grinding is at times necessary but perhaps you find a new enemy to fight at times, or can have some other gain besides just leveling up? Hopefully I'm making sense here.

This later Nybeth-family Chapter 4 sidequest is complete and utter bullshit. Wipe out 20 super undead? Oh and make sure you resurrect and protect this mage within 3 turns. Fuck you.

Guess I don't get this optional character.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does the US release have inside-case cover art?

I ask because they usually omit it from the Canadian release, and if so, I'd import from US.

duckroll said:
After gaining access to the Wildwoods, I don't think anyone should have major complaints about leveling new classes.

How convenient. I just unlocked those.

Good thing I got my Beast Tamer the Dragon recruit skill and Canopus the Faerie recruit skill already.

BocoDragon said:
Does the US release have inside-case cover art?

I ask because they usually omit it from the Canadian release, and if so, I'd import from US.

Nope.

Yaweee

So, another gameplay-problematic typo.

The Familiar class has two skills called "Selfless Kiss". One stuns, one heals stuns. I'm assuming one is supposed to be "Selfish Kiss"?

Machine

I wasn't really paying attention while I played earlier and made a slight mistake. I killed someone I shouldn't have and saved afterwards. Now I can't recruit them. Good thing I'm not anal-retentive or this would be driving me crazy...

Yaweee

2 Dragons, 1 Octopus, and my first 2 Undead from a single battle. Damn.

The only way to tell the different between undead genders is the names of some of their classes, because you can't see their pelvic bones.

Seda

How do you gain finishers? Just by using a certain type of weapon with the appropriate skill equipped and leveling that up?

duckroll

Yaweee said:
So, another gameplay-problematic typo.

The Familiar class has two skills called "Selfless Kiss". One stuns, one heals stuns. I'm assuming one is supposed to be "Selfish Kiss"?

Okay I just checked a Japanese wiki, and this is not a typo or an error. The blame for this confusion seems to lie entirely with Matsuno, for whatever reason. In the original Japanese version Familiars have 3 different kiss-related skill names, but there are 2 skills of each. They all do different things. The one you mentioned is "Pretty Kiss" in the Japanese version.

I have no idea why it was designed this way.

Seda

Well, I've gotten to to point just before the end of Chapter 1. Gonna put the game down for now, and I'll do some random battles to get my gear/skills/abilities up a bit before I jump into chapter 2. So far, its excellent. And Canopus is still my MVP.

aceface

Just a quick end of chapter 1 question:

If I chose not to massacre the village does that mean I chose lawful or chaotic? I mean, it seemed the right thing to do at the time but now I'm an outlaw.

duckroll

aceface said:

If I chose not to massacre the village does that mean I chose lawful or chaotic? I mean, it seemed the right thing to do at the time but now I'm an outlaw.

You are on the Chaos route now. Law and Chaos have nothing to do with good or evil. It has to do with the logic behind your decision.

aceface said:

Choosing not to do it is chaotic. Obeying orders and killing them is lawful.

mandiller

Yaweee said:

It does actually. On later firmwares just press Triangle over the game icon and select update.

duckroll

mandiller said:
It does actually. On later firmwares just press Triangle over the game icon and select update.

But has it ever been used in this way ever? The only PSP game I remember with a patch was Killzone Liberation, which had an internal update menu option which grabs the updated content from the server.

Masaki_

Still on Chapter 2C here, and I think I got to a point where Wizards do shit damage to everything, even with all the damage enhancing skills like Spellcraft and Augment <insert element>. I might still keep one around for debuffing purposes, otherwise I'll be sticking with the winning combination of Knights and Archers.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Masaki_ said:
Still on Chapter 2C here, and I think I got to a point where Wizards do shit damage to everything, even with all the damage enhancing skills like Spellcraft and Augment <insert element>. I might still keep one around for debuffing purposes, otherwise I'll be sticking with the winning combination of Knights and Archers.

Have you gotten to the point where the level 2 missile spells are available? Those do quite a bit more damage than their level 1 counterparts, which should improve the useful life of your Wizards.

That said, they do seem to drop off in damage pretty sharply. You can also set one up with the Charm and Petrify spells, Dark Magic, Augment Darkness, and Spellstrike to get usefulness out of them outside of making big numbers pop up.

In Chapter 3 you also start getting Classmarks for Warlocks/Witches, who in the original version were the status-effect using counterpart to the directly offensive Wizard, but in this version look to be a better-in-every-way direct upgrade. That has to be leveled from scratch. Good luck with that.

My all archer team in Palace of the dead is doing fine so far. There were some hard battles that pitted me against an all birds, dragons and golems though.

I hate the amounts of undead they have at times. It really drags on and on.

Carlisle

duckroll said:
But has it ever been used in this way ever? The only PSP game I remember with a patch was Killzone Liberation, which had an internal update menu option which grabs the updated content from the server.
LBP was patched a couple times too. I did it once through the XMB and once through the PSN store.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FTH said:
I've been thinking about buying this game for awhile and I have just one question, hopefully someone can help here. Is grinding in this game necessary? If so, is it at least enjoyable? I absolutely despise grinding the same areas and replaying battles more than twice, it was because of this that I stopped playing Resonance of Fate and other RPGs..

IMO, no, not really. You can breeze through the story levels so long as your careful and plan ahead. With the notable stupid hard sections that may/may not be mandatory (sup, necromancer that is optional that I'm still trying to take on at level 7. *mumble grumble*).

So has anyone played around with the WORLD system yet? I should be able to jump back and forth at anytime right? So if I redo the end of chapter 1 and go onto the chaos path, I can still jump back so I can do post-game content on my law path right?

mandiller

duckroll said:

You could do it with Little Big Planet (PSP).

Seda

Basileus777 said:
So has anyone played around with the WORLD system yet? I should be able to jump back and forth at anytime right? So if I redo the end of chapter 1 and go onto the chaos path, I can still jump back so I can do post-game content on my law path right?

I want to know this as well.

Yeah you can. Some jumping spot would make you redo certain battles to get where you are aiming for and there is 3 separate branches one for law, neutral, and chaos.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
*flips the Necromancer off* Fuck you and fuck your "hardness," you ain't shit once I get proper MP gaining for exorcising your bitches and get the brid close enough to silence your ass/kill you with a finishing blow.

Had a few close calls and ate a mend leaf on one unit (IIRC) but finally after about 20 or so attempts I got through it AT THE START with maybe 5 level grinding battles before it and no one falling/dying.

Two level 7-8 warriors (Ramza/Main character is one)
Two level 6-7 archers (one of the new ones given to you by the freed dude in addition to a bought/stolen from a dead corpse Great Bow)
Two (three as guest) level 6-7 Clerics for Exorcising
One level 6-7 Rune Fencer with Heal/White Magic learned to use in a pinch on troubled units
Canopus level 6-7 Vartan for kicking the necromancers ass with a cross-bow and his default hand-axe finishing blow.

Finally. Now I can go back to the freed resistance dude and continue with the story. >_>

Seda

The exorcise spell takes too much mp, considering how battles with undead units have a ton of them. You could always buy the arcana items to use, though.

Top Bottom