• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Snakeyes

Yaweee said:
- The crafting system is simply the worst I've ever seen. If anybody can think of one worse, please share, because I can't think of anything.

Couldn't agree more. What is the point of dud craftings? It's not like I can't simply load a file right before going into the shop and trying again.

Yuterald

MSIMagus said:
Also media black out is more common then I think you realize. I do it with a lot of games(I did not with this one)and the older I get the more I do it. It seems like the internet is ruining games for a lot of people.

Well, I will definitely agree with this. With youtube, quick looks, trailers, etc. people can watch entire games online and then go and claim that they have finished the game. I had a co worker once that did this once and I have a few friends that have spoiled final bosses in games through youtube. It's such a shame and I don't get it.

Anyway, does anyone else 'sigh' when they see a Knight target use the Phalanx skill? I am on a snow mountain map in Chapter 3C and I am getting destroyed. I almost had him ready to be killed and he busts out Phalanx and two then the two dragons on the map catch up and decimate my team. I think it's time to invest in a Dragoon (lol!)

Yaweee

Yuterald said:
Well, I will definitely agree with this. With youtube, quick looks, trailers, etc. people can watch entire games online and then go and claim that they have finished the game. I had a co worker once that did this once and I have a few friends that have spoiled final bosses in games through youtube. It's such a shame and I don't get it.

Anyway, does anyone else 'sigh' when they see a Knight target use the Phalanx skill? I am on a snow mountain map in Chapter 3C and I am getting destroyed. I almost had him ready to be killed and he busts out Phalanx and two then the two dragons on the map catch up and decimate my team. I think it's time to invest in a Dragoon (lol!)

Yeah, Phalanx can be annoying. Keep him contained with Rampart skills. Many of the melee classes get it.

thefil

How is the beastmaster class early on? I like the idea of it, but I'm already having some trouble in battles and don't want to carry a useless level 1 character if it won't be worth it in the end. I just finished the map in chapter 1 where you fight
the gnarly old man that summons griffin
and was only able to win by charging straight for him and letting party members die.

Surprisingly, I'm not ashamed that I suck at this. I think I'm maybe just going to be a slow learner when it comes to proper battle strategies. It's all very intimidating, especially since most of my characters do a small fraction of an enemy's health and I'm not sure my skills are helping the slightest.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
thefil said:
How is the beastmaster class early on? I like the idea of it, but I'm already having some trouble in battles and don't want to carry a useless level 1 character if it won't be worth it in the end. I just finished the map in chapter 1 where you fight
and was only able to win by charging straight for him and letting party members die.

Surprisingly, I'm not ashamed that I suck at this. I think I'm maybe just going to be a slow learner when it comes to proper battle strategies. It's all very intimidating, especially since most of my characters do a small fraction of an enemy's health and I'm not sure my skills are helping the slightest.

You can win that battle really easily by
focusing on a griffon. When you defeat it, he wigs out.

Yaweee

thefil said:

Yes, Beastmasters are great, at least to the point of learning Tame, Subdue, and Empower. Tame recruits the 10x types of dragons, and Subdue recruits the 5 or 6 different kind of Beasts, most of which are awesome. The BM class itself is pretty good with hammers (My Denam is a BM with a 2H Hammer), and Empower can make your Beasts and Dragons do astonishing damage. My Octopi (all 5 of them) are likely my best units right now.

I use Denam and Canopus in nearly every battle. Denam has Subdue, Canopus has Tame. You can start getting Beasts and Dragons throughout Chapter 2, so switch now so you can buy the skills and their % success buffs.

A good trick for leveling lower level classes: Bring them as Skeletons or Ghosts. Skeletons get most of the human physical classes, while Ghosts get a good chunk of the caster classes. You don't have to worry about hearts running out.

Curufinwe

Is there an introductory guide somewhere that lists things someone totally new to Tactics Ogre should know about how the game works before they start?

MSIMagus

Neo Member
Curufinwe said:
Is there an introductory guide somewhere that lists things someone totally new to Tactics Ogre should know about how the game works before they start?

Hit gamefaqs and at the tactics ogre board search for key word "tip" or "tips" I know a few topics have came up asking for tips for new players or those having trouble with the game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Curufinwe said:

The in-game guides in the Warden Report are not horrible either. You won't have to worry about the first few battles, which are basically tutorials as it is. Just complete those, and read the guides.

It's worth noting that there are skills classes can use, but not learn. For example only knights get the tactician skill, but almost anyone can use it. Only wizards learn meditate, but warlocks and some other offensive spell-casters can use it. Many of the recruiting skills can be used by other classes once learned. You can tell if a unit can use an ability but not learn it if the portrait has an x over it, but is not greyed out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, Cistina is a fucking idiot. 2HP left, I can't reach her with my healers as there is a river there.

Don't tell me I need to learn healing on the bird to even get a chance to save her dumbass that won't come closer/into range for me to heal her. :|

MSIMagus

Neo Member
TheSeks said:
Man, Cistina is a fucking idiot. 2HP left, I can't reach her with my healers as there is a river there.

Don't tell me I need to learn healing on the bird to even get a chance to save her dumbass that won't come closer/into range for me to heal her. :|

Sadly the easiest way to beat this battle is to take advantage of the stupid A.I. The A.I automatically picks on the easiest target so what you do is unequip all Vyse's equipment and it makes him look like a tastier target to the enemy A.I. Instead of all the enemies trying to attack her they will largly focus their attention on Vyse which gives you just long enough to get to her.

Leveling up a little helps too. You can get in to random encounters on one of the previously beat stages. You can even set all of your characters to A.I and just let them grind on their own while you play a game on your PC or console.

I had tons of trouble with that battle till I tried the unequiping Vyse method.

TheSeks

Unequipping/Naked Vyse doesn't sound appealing as I'm going for a "no one falls/no one died" run since this is my first playthrough otherwise it's gone forever.

I can kill the enemy units quickly enough at level 7 or so (with the exception of the huge ass dragon in the "room"), it's just her dumbass won't come closer to where I can keep her alive and focus on the enemies.

TheSeks

Basileus777 said:
Remember that anyone can cast spells via scroll. So if you buy a few healing scrolls, Canopus can heal her as he is.

Plus he learns the spell for later? I tried that and healed someone and learned the spell at the same time. Was weird.

That said, does the item flinger work on the scrolls? I would wager it wouldn't given... paper properties? That and having to give Canopus that instead of the crossbow he has that kicks ass and takes names isn't really nice.

TheSeks said:
Plus he learns the spell for later? I tried that and healed someone and learned the spell at the same time. Was weird.

That said, does the item flinger work on the scrolls? I would wager it wouldn't given... paper properties? That and having to give Canopus that instead of the crossbow he has that kicks ass and takes names isn't really nice.

He learns the spell, but he can't cast it without a scroll unless he changes class.

The item lobber doesn't work with scrolls. Giving Canopus the lobber and field alchemy could be a good solution for healing Cistina quickly, but he can't use the lobber as a Vartan.

Yaweee

TheSeks said:
Unequipping/Naked Vyse doesn't sound appealing as I'm going for a "no one falls/no one died" run since this is my first playthrough otherwise it's gone forever.

I can kill the enemy units quickly enough at level 7 or so (with the exception of the huge ass dragon in the "room"), it's just her dumbass won't come closer to where I can keep her alive and focus on the enemies.

May god have mercy on your soul. No wonder you went crazy with the necromancer battle. I consider that sort of thing for high-challenge replays, not ultra-tedious first times.

Basileus777 said:
It's worth noting that there are skills classes can use, but not learn. For example only knights get the tactician skill, but almost anyone can use it. Only wizards learn meditate, but warlocks and some other offensive spell-casters can use it. Many of the recruiting skills can be used by other classes once learned. You can tell if a unit can use an ability but not learn it if the portrait has an x over it, but is not greyed out.

Octopi learn Tactician! Makes 13-square rains of death even faster to pull off (50 (or 85) TP, and more powerful than most finishers.

EvilMario said:
The in-game guides in the Warden Report are not horrible either. You won't have to worry about the first few battles, which are basically tutorials as it is. Just complete those, and read the guides.

The in-game guide is great.

7Th

Why the fuck is is
Ravness
only recruitable in the Law Route? What a waste of the best female character design in the game. ;_;

TheSeks

Basileus777 said:
The item lobber doesn't work with scrolls. Giving Canopus the lobber and field alchemy could be a good solution for healing Cistina quickly, but he can't use the lobber as a Vartan.

So, how is he supposed to get over there? It takes about two-three turns and I can't seem to cross the river with him given she blocks the only land path over it unless I want to take the long way around.

Yawee said:
May god have mercy on your soul. No wonder you went crazy with the necromancer battle. I consider that sort of thing for high-challenge replays, not ultra-tedious first times.

It's not that bad. Just extremely tedious/micromanaging and going "OH GOD PLEASE DON'T KILL THEM" toward the stupid Guest AI.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
How long are the San Bronsa ruins? I just finished the tower of law eternal. This better not be another hellgate in terms of length....

I think it is ~20F or something.

How is that dungeon? I've heard basically nothing about it. Hell Gate is still the largest of the bonus dungeons, but replays through that can be shortened using expendable items.

Yaweee said:
I think it is ~20F or something.

How is that dungeon? I've heard basically nothing about it.

It seems to be the "divine" version of the Palace of the Dead. You fight holy units/monsters while climbing tower levels that look similar to the Hanging Gardens.

I was doing fine, but the enemies just jumped up in level by a huge amount. Level 35 Kraken when I'm level 27...

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Totakeke said:
I don't know about your Golems, but my front lines are pretty much decimated if the golems decide to use their Raven Eyes twice in a row.

I did have a bit of trouble with that in one of the battles with Xaebos. Now that I have Rampart Aura 2, though, it's pretty easy to keep my blocking line spaced out far enough that area attacks like that can only hit one guy.

TheSeks said:

Guests dying don't count as deaths. In the case of Vyce and Catiua, they teleport out. In other cases the guest dies, but that just means you can't recruit them. They still don't get counted as someone falling.

Snakeyes said:
Couldn't agree more. What is the point of dud craftings? It's not like I can't simply load a file right before going into the shop and trying again.

After screwing around with crafting some more, I think the failure rate is ostensibly supposed to prevent you from using it as a source of infinite Goth. It's completely ineffective at that, because if you buy a bunch of Inferior Ore it's pretty much impossible to not turn a profit no matter what you turn it into, but I suspect that might be part of the reasoning.

Minsc

Gold Member
Got an e-mail earlier saying my European Premium Edition shipped out. I don't think I saw anyone else mention they got their copy yet (it still has a couple days to release I think)? Hopefully it comes quicker than expected, can't wait to see the artbook/music CD! The tarot cards are awesome, and having all three things will make it really feel complete!

My strategy guide did not get pushed back yet either, delivery date is still set for 22-28, but I'm not confident I'll be seeing that before my Euro copy arrives. 400+ pages means there's gotta be something interesting in it. And the zoom view on Amazon makes the front cover look extremely high-res, so hopefully the printing of all the artwork is good quality!

JudgeN

TheSeks said:
So, how is he supposed to get over there? It takes about two-three turns and I can't seem to cross the river with him given she blocks the only land path over it unless I want to take the long way around.

It's not that bad. Just extremely tedious/micromanaging and going "OH GOD PLEASE DON'T KILL THEM" toward the stupid Guest AI.

Don't change Canopus class because you probably don't have a vartan mark to change him back once your done (if you change his class he can't fly for some odd reason). I was level 7-8 it took a few tries but was able to complete it. What I did put canopus on the roof of the the first house and shoot the beastmaster, then move my to archers up and finish him off. On his next turn canopus flys to the next house and you should be able to shoot either the mage/Valkyrie/archer, if you can get the mage you will do 80ish dmg and he will heal himself instead of casting a spell on that stupid girl. Then move your archer up again and pick off whoever closer Valkyrie/archer. It takes some luck because the guest will have to block an attack but it is doable without changing anyone class.

TheSeks

Finally her dumbass lets me heal her. It kinda sucks you can't move past friendly units to a better spot. Cockblocking eachother but also cockblocked the AI to where no one fell/died and took out all the units before the boss (including the dragon). Only took me five tries to get her dumbass AI to be favorable, but yay.

Told her I fight for peace, but apparently that wasn't recruitment material as she left. :/

7Th

TheSeks said:
Finally her dumbass lets me heal her. It kinda sucks you can't move past friendly units to a better spot. Cockblocking eachother but also cockblocked the AI to where no one fell/died and took out all the units before the boss (including the dragon). Only took me five tries to get her dumbass AI to be favorable, but yay.

Told her I fight for peace, but apparently that wasn't recruitment material as she left. :/

You recruit her later in the game in the Neutral and Chaos routes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just beat the (first stage?) of Phorampa Woods in Chapter 2. Dragon battle was the only really tough one. 2 Dragons, and 3 Octopus', and a million Gremlins/Fairies.

joelseph

Basileus777 said:

Thank you so much for this.

MSIMagus said:
I would agrue that many gaming tropes are gaming tropes for a reason. They often make the game more enjoyable to the mass majority. That said do not get me wrong, TO is not a game intended for those people and we need games like TO who cater to games that kick your ass and do not explain nearly enough ;)

They are tropes because they are repeated to the point of being somewhat recognizable.

What does the game not explain?

"Hey Denam, you can go to either jfsduhgf Fortress or retreat to Almorica Castle".

Player:"That must mean I can only go to the Fortress, surely."

All it shows is that you're so used to gameplay and story segregation that you've come to expect it.

Hell, before the first undead fight the game uses a cutscene to introduce the fact that Exorcism only works on downed undead units. The game tells you exactly what you need to know about gameplay through its story.

7Th said:
Why the fuck is is
Ravness
only recruitable in the Law Route? What a waste of the best female character design in the game. ;_;

She's all mine.

Suck it!

I have custom firm ware and I have this game sitting in the shrink wrap. Should I just wait? I'm told that even with changing scripts and things like that, this game will not boot. Is that true?

Quixzlizx

RoninChaos said:
I have custom firm ware and I have this game sitting in the shrink wrap. Should I just wait? I'm told that even with changing scripts and things like that, this game will not boot. Is that true?

It works fine using 6.20 HEN.

Yuterald

TheSeks said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think guest NPCs you have no control over count towards the no falls/death Titles. They retreat with their weird withdraw gems if they fall. I had Vyce or some guest NPC fall and my Warren Report still shows 0 in everything. Unless there is some hidden counter then you should be fine if the situation calls for it.

Yuterald said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think guest NPCs you have no control over count towards the no falls/death Titles. They retreat with their weird withdraw gems if they fall. I had Vyce or some guest NPC fall and my Warren Report still shows 0 in everything. Unless there is some hidden counter then you should be fine if the situation calls for it.

I noticed the same, but was also wondering about some hidden counter. Would hate to lose all that work on a technicality.

Anno

Amir0x said:
just wanted to stop by to say this is the best handheld game I've ever played. ever.

I pretty much second this. The amount of time I've put into this game in the last 3 days is absurd. That a game I played for hundreds of hours a decade ago can pull me back in and feel like a completely new - and even better - experience is great. I hope to god the game sells well enough that we get the DLC here in the states, more DLC is made or, in a perfect world, Square may give the series another title.
Please? Please?!

Anno said:
I pretty much second this. The amount of time I've put into this game in the last 3 days is absurd. That a game I played for hundreds of hours a decade ago can pull me back in and feel like a completely new - and even better - experience is great. I hope to god the game sells well enough that we get the DLC here in the states, more DLC is made or, in a perfect world, Square may give the series another title.
Please? Please?!

The DLC is already built into the western versions of the game.

1. how many levels are there in the
palace of the dead
?

2. i triggered a sidequest on chapter 4
some pirate was getting attacked in a town after telling stories
but since the enemies were too strong for me at the time i decided to train and come back later. then i triggered yet another side quest
first part of the undead sidequest in chapter 4
and then the first one was gone. is this a bug or a feature? fwiw, i didn't complete any story maps between the time it appeared and was gone, so that can't be it. i just grinded and advanced the second sidequest.

branny

Absoludacrous said:
I noticed the same, but was also wondering about some hidden counter. Would hate to lose all that work on a technicality.

I think you'll be fine. I'm doing a No Death/Faint, No Chariot, No Retreat run, too. I'm pretty sure whenever Guests reach critical (flashing red), they teleport away, regardless if the blow depleted all their HP or not, so it'd be unfair to count that as a death. I'll place my faith on the Warren Report's statistics.

Now if it was the Daravon Report I wouldn't trust it.

duckroll

@Yawee: Did you see what I posted about the Familiar skills in the previous page yesterday? I wonder why Matsuno made a decision like that...

Green Biker Dude said:
1. how many levels are there in the
palace of the dead
?

100 plus 33 extra from the DLC, but you don't fight on every single floor.
2. i triggered a sidequest on chapter 4
some pirate was getting attacked in a town after telling stories
but since the enemies were too strong for me at the time i decided to train and come back later. then i triggered yet another side quest
first part of the undead sidequest in chapter 4
and then the first one was gone. is this a bug or a feature? fwiw, i didn't complete any story maps between the time it appeared and was gone, so that can't be it. i just grinded and advanced the second sidequest.

If you didn't advance in the main storyline, that sounds odd. I'm not sure what could have caused it in that case.

Yaweee

duckroll said:
@Yawee: Did you see what I posted about the Familiar skills in the previous page yesterday? I wonder why Matsuno made a decision like that...

Yeah, I did. I was going to comment about how goddamn weird it is, but it was really =(

Very, very strange decision by him. Bitch got otha' shit to learn, so I don't think I'll be wasting SP on single-target stuns.

Man

A question about the English language: Unless this cannot be answered without spoiling something then what does the ogre in the title refer to? I presume it's not actually referring to an actual ogre ala Shrek but to someone skilled or heinous in their ways? Like if I were to say you are devilishly good in your work or the game title actually being Tactics Master or the ultimate tactical challenge?

Top Bottom