• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Man said:
A question about the English language: Unless this cannot be answered without spoiling something then what does the ogre in the title refer to? I presume it's not actually referring to an actual ogre ala Shrek but to someone skilled or heinous in their ways? Like if I were to say you are devilishly good in your work or the game title actually being Tactics Master or the ultimate tactical challenge?

It's not really a direct reference to anything in the game itself, but rather the universe/world it takes place in. The Ogre Battle is sort of the mythological underpinning of the series.

7Th

Fimbulvetr said:
She's all mine.

Suck it!

The choices you have to take to go through the Law Route are kind of dumb and nonsensical; hell, the game spends most of the Law Route reminding you that your choice was wrong and Denim's character arc becomes that of a character that needs to be redeemed.
Like I said, what a waste of the best female character design.

Man said:
A question about the English language: Unless this cannot be answered without spoiling something then what does the ogre in the title refer to? I presume it's not actually referring to an actual ogre ala Shrek but to someone skilled or heinous in their ways? Like if I were to say you are devilishly good in your work or the game title actually being Tactics Master or the ultimate tactical challenge?

On Zeteginean world it is said Humans and Ogre fought on who would rule the earth in mythic times. Men were backed by Sky Gods and Ogres by the Underworld demons, basically.
There is a nice wink to this legend in Vagrant Story with the Ogre's description:
ogre.gif

Which I presume may become a link between Ogre Saga's world and Vagrant's in the future..

duckroll

Man said:

There are several meanings for the word Ogre in the game itself. Ogre Battle refers to the founding of the world as it is, a mythological event where humans and demons fought a great war and won, sealing the demons away and hence the world as we know it is populated mostly be humans and humans rule the world. There is also a reference to the term Ogre which is an insult for particularly evil and ruthless people in the world. Sort of like how we call evil people demons.

There is no particular reason why the title of the game is Tactics Ogre, other than the fact that it is the follow-up to Ogre Battle, and the director wanted to distance the game from Ogre Battle itself because the gameplay is radically different.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Crakatak187 said:
I'm so sick of tired of all zombie battles. Such a pain in the ass.

I don't understand how anyone has issues with the battles, especially once the Baldr weapons become available. I'll often find myself knocking out all the end dead (thus ending the battle), before I even cast Exorcism.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hikash Winzalf said:
About strange naming Matsuno made. There is one from the original I never noticed before until I read the third comment from this article: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/02/kajiya_productions.php

And I rechecked the SFC map: http://nsa26.casimages.com/img/2011/02/17/110217032228759246.jpg
I was like WTF. Like a friend said, Japan has not the same taboo as we have here but yet it surprised me quite a bit.

I'd been wondering about that "downright offensive" comment since I read that interview. And now I wonder no longer.

That's something, is what that is.

duckroll

Basileus777 said:
The DLC is already built into the western versions of the game.

In what sense? Are you saying that all 3 extra scenarios are already in the game and people who have beaten the game have played them without having to download anything? Or do you mean that the content is in the game and will be unlockable once they release the DLC keys?

duckroll said:
In what sense? Are you saying that all 3 extra scenarios are already in the game and people who have beaten the game have played them without having to download anything? Or do you mean that the content is in the game and will be unlockable once they release the DLC keys?
DLCs are already on Western UMDs and you only have to meet certain conditions to unlock them(but you surely already know this).

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:
Recruited a Flood Dragon. :)

Is there a way to consistently get Dragon class marks? They keep dropping Tarot Cards.

Kind of. "Auction" of the dragons at the shop will net you 2x Marks of whatever class they are, I think. Doesn't really address the problem you're having, I guess.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Totakeke said:
A lot of melee units that cannot learn Rampart Auras can still use them. I'd imagine you'd have problems against Golems, but there aren't too many of those anyway.

Is there any sort of list for skills, and who can use what? Knowing that Dragoons can use Rampart Aura now is incredible, and I'm sure there are a lot of other hidden gems.

Yaweee said:
Kind of. "Auction" of the dragons at the shop will net you 2x Marks of whatever class they are, I think. Doesn't really address the problem you're having, I guess.

Good enough.

Plus the new classes will gain levels when I Recruit them, so it's a win/win.

duckroll

Hikash Winzalf said:
DLCs are already on Western UMDs and you only have to meet certain conditions to unlock them(but you surely already know this).

I know how the DLCs worked in the JP version, but it's news to me that the scenarios are built into the English release already. That's good to know. :D

somesang

Joule

Just got past Almorica in the third chapter and Mount Weobry is the next place to go. This map was so much easier in the original. Now I have dragons 3 levels higher than me and units keep spawning. I better take some time to level up my new white knights and others before trying this.

I wish the magic augment skills went up faster. I'm never getting rank 2 of anything.

ixix

EvilMario said:
Is there any sort of list for skills, and who can use what? Knowing that Dragoons can use Rampart Aura now is incredible, and I'm sure there are a lot of other hidden gems.

Though it's not an exhaustive list, the in-game help tells you what classes can learn and/or use each skill in the help pop-up. A class that doesn't have a grayed-out portrait can use it, and a class with a blue circle in the upper left corner can learn it. A red X with a level indicator means they can learn it when they reach the listed level. A color portrait with a red X and no level indicator means they can use it, but not learn it.

Interestingly, it seems like the number of skills a Warlock can learn is tiny, but the number of skills they can use is huge. And there are a lot of skills that only Knights can learn but that anybody can use.

So my copy of the UK premium edition was "despatched" today.
This is several days earlier than the estimated "dispatch" date was originally.
I'm not sure how long international shipping will take, but looking forward to getting into it. Only real Ogre experience was from Ogre Battle 64 back in the day. Too late in the game to get an affordable copy of Tactics pre-remake.

The internet tells me that there is no difference between despatch and dispatch, so I think they must be messing with me because I'm an American.

Regarding DLC, I see that it is on the UMD, but is there any confirmation if the DLC is on disc for Euro versions of the game as well as the NA version?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ixix said:
Though it's not an exhaustive list, the in-game help tells you what classes can learn and/or use each skill in the help pop-up. A class that doesn't have a grayed-out portrait can use it, and a class with a blue circle in the upper left corner can learn it. A red X with a level indicator means they can learn it when they reach the listed level. A color portrait with a red X and no level indicator means they can use it, but not learn it.

Interestingly, it seems like the number of skills a Warlock can learn is tiny, but the number of skills they can use is huge. And there are a lot of skills that only Knights can learn but that anybody can use.

Thanks, I was aware of this, but I'm not looking for 'what can learn', which is all the in-game list seems to give you. I'm looking for, what can use. For instance, Dragoon and Berserker are greyed out for Rampart Aura, but they can USE it if they learn it as a Knight.

It's tough to tell what can be carried over, and what can't be without switching classes over and over to check.

EvilMario said:
Thanks, I was aware of this, but I'm not looking for 'what can learn', which is all the in-game list seems to give you. I'm looking for, what can use. For instance, Dragoon and Berserker are greyed out for Rampart Aura, but they can USE it if they learn it as a Knight.

It's tough to tell what can be carried over, and what can't be without switching classes over and over to check.

When you are looking at the list of faces/classes on the right:

1) Lit up with blue circle - Can learn and use
2) Lit up and red X - Can use, but not learn
3) Dimmed out with Red X - Can't use it at all

Peff

SerArthurDayne said:
So my copy of the UK premium edition was "despatched" today.
This is several days earlier than the estimated "dispatch" date was originally.
I'm not sure how long international shipping will take, but looking forward to getting into it. Only real Ogre experience was from Ogre Battle 64 back in the day. Too late in the game to get an affordable copy of Tactics pre-remake.

The internet tells me that there is no difference between despatch and dispatch, so I think they must be messing with me because I'm an American.

Regarding DLC, I see that it is on the UMD, but is there any confirmation if the DLC is on disc for Euro versions of the game as well as the NA version?

No reason why it shouldn't be, the games should be the exact same data since SE didn't bother translating it to any other languages.

Also, fun fact: this thread is getting very close to Birth by Sleep's total post count and the game isn't even out in Europe yet lol.

ixix

EvilMario said:

Really? I just checked on Rampart Aura I & II, and it shows Berserkers, Dragoons, Warriors, and Valkyries with a color portrait and a red X. So they can use it, but never learn it.

If you hit triangle on the main Party screen it also takes you to a summary of all the classes, and you can view skill lists on a per-class basis that tell you whether they can learn or use each skill. But it also lists skills they can't use or learn and is generally laid out in a way that is terrible for actually helping you figure out what you want to know.

Unprecedented, I know.

Minsc

Gold Member
SerArthurDayne said:

Yes, besides being identical more or less, the OP also states the DLC is already built in to the EUR version as well. But I believe since the EUR copy was leaked before even the NA version came out (weeks and weeks ago), if it was missing the DLC, we'd have heard long ago.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Basileus777 said:
When you are looking at the list of faces/classes on the right:

1) Lit up with blue circle - Can learn and use
2) Lit up and red X - Can use, but not learn
3) Dimmed out with Red X - Can't use it at all

Ah, I see now. Thanks for explaining.

Minsc said:
Yes, besides being identical more or less, the OP also states the DLC is already built in to the EUR version as well. But I believe since the EUR copy was leaked before even the NA version came out (weeks and weeks ago), if it was missing the DLC, we'd have heard long ago.

Ah, despite being rather longish, one would have thought the bright red text would have been a cued me in to that point. Regardless, thanks for the response.

Anybody have any experience ordering from overseas? I went with Zavvi, and my game actually shipped with a book as well. At first I thought it might be good to ship in a bigger box and have more cushion against damage. Now I'm worried the book itself might smash the Premium Box. Guess I'll wait and see. Not going to be able return the game either way, so I'll just hope for the best.

Yaweee

Is there any Quick Reset shortcut? I can exit back to the title screen through the quick save option, but it should be faster than that,

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
You can recruit Dragoons, Sword Masters, and Ninjas in the forest?

My god.

Yeah, the Wildwoods is really awesome. It's a great addition to the game which allows for the player to optionally open up the game a lot at a much earlier point. Good for taking breaks when you don't feel like advancing the story.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
You can recruit Dragoons, Sword Masters, and Ninjas in the forest?

My god.

Do they start with anything good?

Also, I think that I will have to start recruiting dudes. I have yet to do that and I am almost finished with chapter 2.

duckroll

Jerk 2.0 said:

Also, I think that I will have to start recruiting dudes. I have yet to do that and I am almost finished with chapter 2.

You can start by recruiting a beast tamer if you don't have one on the first map in the Wildwoods. Also consider recruiting some winged dudes if they're of a class you want a winged dude for. From there, your choice is to either go up or right. The top path leads to maps with tons of monster only groups filled with faeries, dragons, etc. The right path leads to human only battles where you can recruit ninjas, swordmasters, dragoons, and terror knights.

Jerk 2.0 said:

*shrug* I haven't checked what my new recruit has, but getting the class right now is pretty cool.

Also, like I said earlier, recruiting a unit with a new class levels them up from the start. Much better than using class cards. With the XP from a battle in which the enemies are all lvl 9 a new class will be bumped up to lvl 4 from the start.

Edit: And to the guy who said Terror Knights are useless? Cry sumoar. My dude consistently gets people with negative status effects and then bludgeons the shit out of them.

aceface

I'm worried this game may be too easy...going through the first few battles of chapter 2 and really not much of a challenge yet. I think I've fought maybe one non-story battle so it's not like I've been grinding. Does it get tougher?

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
*shrug* I haven't checked what my new recruit has, but getting the class right now is pretty cool.

Also, like I said earlier, recruiting a unit with a new class levels them up from the start. Much better than using class cards. With the XP from a battle in which the enemies are all lvl 9 a new class will be bumped up to lvl 4 from the start.

The only class mark I ever used in the game so far is to change duckroll to a Knight. All new classes I want, I recruit. Recruiting also means that you get characters who start with a decent set of skills already, some even unavailable to lower levels. Even though their levels get bumped down, they still retain all those skills. Very useful!

aceface said:
I'm worried this game may be too easy...going through the first few battles of chapter 2 and really not much of a challenge yet. I think I've fought maybe one non-story battle so it's not like I've been grinding. Does it get tougher?

If the people in this thread are to be believed, the rescue missions are hard.

I don't believe them though, there's not one rescue mission I haven't beaten on my first try so far.

duckroll said:
The only class mark I ever used in the game so far is to change duckroll to a Knight. All new classes I want, I recruit. Recruiting also means that you get characters who start with a decent set of skills already, some even unavailable to lower levels. Even though their levels get bumped down, they still retain all those skills. Very useful!

Yeah. I think I'm gonna just recruit all non-beast/dragons from now on.

Yaweee

Since Tactician has been discussed, the classes that learn it are:

Knight
Thief
Familiar
All 4 Golem types (presumably, I only have two types)
Gryphon
Cockatrice
Octopus
Cyclops

Out of the ~34 classes I have in my menu.

aceface said:

Eh, the main story missions are all pretty easy it seems. Side missions and sidequests are more interesting, but going up against groups of humans with KILL THE LEADER win conditions are never really hard.

However, the tactical aspects of the battles are still interesting. Just don't expect many story battles to send you packing and reorganizing your entire party. It's a pretty reasonable difficulty curve in terms of enemy level, equipment, and skills.

Whether you consider CHARIOT as a loss is up to you. What I want is a game that makes me consider all of the possible moves rather than one strategy that is unambiguously superior to anything else, and I get that regardless of whether I use CHARIOT or not.

Yaweee said:
Since Tactician has been discussed, the classes that learn it are:

Knight
Thief
Familiar
All 4 Golem types (presumably, I only have two types)
Gryphon
Cockatrice
Octopus
Cyclops

Out of the ~34 classes I have in my menu.

And pretty much every class can use it. So unlock it with Knight and you can switch over other characters just to learn it. Archers and tactician II with double shot are nasty, mages with meditate and tactician can recover MP every turn. There are some nice combinations you can use it with. Tactician is great for pretty much every class.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
And pretty much every class can use it. So unlock it with Knight and you can switch over other characters just to learn it. Archers and tactician II with double shot are nasty, mages with meditate and tactician can recover MP every turn. There are some nice combinations you can use it with. Tactician is great for pretty much every class.

Yup, I agree. So far, it looks like every single class can use it, but so far some of the Demi-human classes may not have a way of getting the skills, nor can the dragons, unless there are more classes I am still to unlock that can switch over. Can you pass skills from fully deceased units?

Yaweee said:
Yup, I agree. So far, it looks like every single class can use it, but so far some of the Demi-human classes may not have a way of getting the skills, nor can the dragons, unless there are more classes I am still to unlock that can switch over. Can you pass skills from fully deceased units?

Hydras, Light and Dark dragons can learn it, and so can Hoplites. So everyone can learn it then.

daoster

So...I'm on Chapter 3 and I've found out that I've missed a lot of shit because, silly me, I haven't read the Warren Reports!

So...I can't seem to be able to find the Wild Woods...am I screwed?

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
Hydras, Light and Dark dragons can learn it, and so can Hoplites. So everyone can learn it then.

Ah, nice.

What way do Lamias and Lizardmen learn it? Also, I suspect Ghosts can't?

Yaweee said:
Ah, nice.

What way do Lamias and Lizardmen learn it? Also, I suspect Ghosts can't?

Lizards can get it through Hoplite. I think Lamia can use that class but I'm not 100% sure. I dismissed my Lamia.

You're right, I forgot about ghosts. Ghosts can only be Wizards and Warlocks, so they can't get it. Neither can Canopus or Hawkmen, because they can't become Knights or Rogues.

Top Bottom