• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Destroying Worlds 4 U

jae

I got a sandwich for making an early loan payment.....

She was calling me every 2 minutes once I got over 10,000 gald

Aeana

I got a sandwich for making an early loan payment.....

She was calling me every 2 minutes once I got over 10,000 gald
She'll call you when your current amount of gald is over the remaining amount left to be repaid for that period, asking you to pay 10% of the amount, provided that you need to make it to the next tier for the next area to unlock. At least, that's been my observation.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Aaaaaaaaaaa why didn't I preorder this. Figured I could wait a bit and still get the costume/theme insert code but forgot that this has that mini-novel too. Was that included as preorder pack-in by the retailer like the dvd/illustrated jacket for graces f, or included in every first edition of the game?

Edit - nvm just read OP, will probably order this later this month

jae

She'll call you when your current amount of gald is over the remaining amount left to be repaid for that period, asking you to pay 10% of the amount, provided that you need to make it to the next tier for the next area to unlock. At least, that's been my observation.

She calls regardless. If you have the area unlocked and you pay the full amount they send items to Ludgers' mailbox. I've gotten a sandwich and the 1 Damage skill book so far.

Aeana

She calls regardless. If you have the area unlocked and you pay the full amount they send items to Ludgers' mailbox. I've gotten a sandwich and the 1 Damage skill book so far.

I've never gotten a call after having the next place unlocked. Maybe I've just been too poor. She definitely tends to call based on the amount of money you have. As for the bonuses, I've been conflicted. I've gotten a couple, but paying it off early means that you have to pay more in order to make the next story-required payment to progress, I think. Because last time I did it, next time I had to unlock a place, I had to make it to another milestone first regardless.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, definitely enjoying this more than I did Xillia so far. I just acquired Roen in my party and paid off 10,000 Gald in debt.

Gave Ludger some glasses too so now he's closer to his original concept art version :> I just wish the guy would speak.

Sagitario

Gave Ludger some glasses too so now he's closer to his original concept art version :> I just wish the guy would speak.

He doesn't speak at all? I knew his lines would be limited during the first playthrough, but I didn't knew he wouldn't speak at all. What a weird thing to do for a Tales game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
He doesn't speak at all? I knew his lines would be limited during the first playthrough, but I didn't knew he wouldn't speak at all. What a weird thing to do for a Tales game.

He makes grunts here and there and says stuff in the middle of battles, but no... no actual full lines of spoken dialogue. I'm curious how that's going to work out once voice overs are unlocked.

It's so weird, and it makes him even more derptastic than he already is. Poor guy.

I grabbed a copy today and while I'm only an hour and a half in, I think it hits the ground running better than ToX ever did. I'm also happy to see that
Jude
hasn't made me want to punch myself in the face so far.

Haven't really had the chance to enjoy a real battle yet, but I like the way Ludgar feels right now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not even in battle? How boring.

He talks in battle.

Ludger is by far the most annoying character because it's clear that he's supposed to have some clear defined characteristics. It's just.... awkward. That's all. It'd be one thing if we can make choices and hear it but there's nothing of the sort until 2nd playthrough.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sooo... my usual thing with playing the majority of the game with v. low volume/muted really late at night will pan out for the first playthrough anyway!

But seriously, that sounds like an issue. It didn't strike me as a good thing prior to release because Tales generally revolves around character interactions (especially during skits, and there are decisions in skits, really?), so having a silent protag is out of the ordinary. I would think he'd be serving as a spectator in general but if you guys are saying that there are instances where you expect that he'd be voiced or the scene makes it seem like he was voiced, then it seems like weird character design/scene direction.

I'd expect the scene direction to facilitate/work around Ludger's lack of voicing. There are games with silent protagonists with good scene direction and character interaction. His animations aren't helping or does he not have good animations to begin with?

He gets a lot of silent reaction shots where he grunts or you just see the dots in the subtitles. It's very strange and I can't say I'm a fan.

kayos90

The game is great overall. Just finished my first two character episodes and getting ready to head into chapter 6.

Jubern

Didn't hesitate that long :

4YbSC.jpg

Hope it's at the very least as good as the first one!

FSLink

Banned
So now that I got the bond title with Ludger and Jude, they're like this after every battle

efe84_ORIG-predator_handshake.gif

Just got this as well, they literally fist bump a few times then go for this handshake. It's hilarious.

Found the cameo battle theme on YouTube. It's kinda weak.
They totally gave Gaius a DLC Dymlos costume just for this. HADOU MEPUUUUUUUUU

Aeana

I think it's really interesting that (non-story spoiler)
once you unlock the ship to Ilart port, they give you the dash boots and straight up tell you that you can go all over Leise Maxia and get better equipment and stuff. The dash boots are wonderful for speeding across fields, too! I only went as far as Hamil, but it will apparently let you go plenty further if you want to.

Aeana

I was flipping through the manual and I noticed a part about taking screenshots. Is this a common feature in PS3 games? I've never seen it before. All you have to do is bring up the XMB, go over to photo, and "save screenshot" is there as an option! :eek:

xero273

I was flipping through the manual and I noticed a part about taking screenshots. Is this a common feature in PS3 games? I've never seen it before. All you have to do is bring up the XMB, go over to photo, and "save screenshot" is there as an option! :eek:

ps3 can do it but it depends on the devs. I don't think a lot of devs choose to use this feature

kayos90

I didn't even know the option existed. Maybe it's something new?

Jubern

Star Driver costumes from Xillia 1 carry over, yes! A certain galaxy is suddenly about to shine a lot brighter :3

I didn't even know the option existed. Maybe it's something new?
Exist on ps3 since at least 2 years ago.

You need a compatible game to do it.
Qore (the psn magazine ) had these for example and so the project diva games.

Good to know that xillia is compatible

jae

I feel like I am playing Radiant Mythology. 1 real dungeon in 6 hours of gameplay, a whole lot of going back to the same area for stupid fetch quests. The fixed party members.

kayos90

The way the game is segmented is awkward to me but at the same time it's not horrible. However, when you have a buttload of money and Nova keeps calling after every battle, it's freaking annoying.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think it's really interesting that (non-story spoiler)
once you unlock the ship to Ilart port, they give you the dash boots and straight up tell you that you can go all over Leise Maxia and get better equipment and stuff. The dash boots are wonderful for speeding across fields, too! I only went as far as Hamil, but it will apparently let you go plenty further if you want to.
Is it possible to press R3 and fast-travel like in the first Xillia after a certain point?

Exist on ps3 since at least 2 years ago.

You need a compatible game to do it.
Qore (the psn magazine ) had these for example and so the project diva games.

Good to know that xillia is compatible
Whaaaaaaaaat? Awesooooommmmme! I had no idea that other games used this feature. I thought it was only limited to 3D Dot Game Heroes and stuff.

kiryogi

Banned
Is it possible to press R3 and fast-travel like in the first Xillia after a certain point?

Whaaaaaaaaat? Awesooooommmmme! I had no idea that other games used this feature. I thought it was only limited to 3D Dot Game Heroes and stuff.

The extent of what you could do on the PS3 is pretty neat if the Devs took advantage of it. IE Soul Calibur V had screenshot/video capture that you could upload directly to youtube.

Datschge

Hahaha, I'm just in the progress of transcribing the staff roll, and guess who is there, slided in as a game design support? Tatsuro Udo! I guess they just can't get game design shit right without him. mrburnsexcellent.gif

Will post again later with the staff roll and some spoiler observations from watching the live game plays so far.

kiryogi

Banned
Hahaha, I'm just in the progress of transcribing the staff roll, and guess who is there, slided in as a game design support? Tatsuro Udo! I guess they just can't get game design shit right without him. mrburnsexcellent.gif

Will post again later with the staff roll and some spoiler observations from watching the live game plays so far.

:O

Rpgmonkey

Interesting.

It's also good to hear that he's still involved with Tales games and hasn't left or gotten laid off. Would have been a pretty big loss for the series.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good! Quite happy about that.

Must resist the urge to highlight battle spoilers until I get the game...

But timely, kind of. I rushed through the entire second (Milla) playthrough since the evening and finished it just now (so got the plat again, but w/e), and I'm sorta hoping that there are a few scenes like the ones in Triglaf towards the end of Xillia which made me like a few characters a little more (and I ended up liking Milla a little more in this playthrough). I'm mostly referring to the one in Xillia's late Act 4 where
Alvin and Elise have that little chat on the swingset

Datschge

Alright, here's the partly transcribed Xillia 2 credits. As expected now all staff related to development is credited as part of Bandai Namco Studios while Bandai Namco Games retains only the boring publisher stuff. The staff size is typical for a DC style game, as usual mostly a subset of the game it builds upon. Former Tales Studio head Eiji Kikuchi is still credited as general manager, so I guess we can assume the Tales team is still a stable unit even within the Bandai Namco building. Kenji Anabuki is separately credited for the hilarious wanted posters. ^^

Now my observations, no actual story spoilers, but maybe you want to experience it yourself first.

Good:
- The story is the best I saw in a Tales game so far, it's
surprisingly dark and depressing, and not in a hamfisted Abyss way. Instead the scenario setup is exploited to its most extremes
. After Naoki Yamamoto's nice scenario work on Hearts this is another good entry, and I hope he gets to lead the scenarios in the future Tales games as well.
- The choices
make a huge difference, and that's what makes the story work so well. You make the decisions, you get the adequate results. Changed scenes, bonus scenes based on you party composition and several separate endings. Plenty replay value and a horror for those who want to quickly 100% the game
- Characters are all more likable and well-rounded than in Xillia 1.
- The game design improvements are all for the better. Only the debt system is debatable but works as one has access to all the Xillia 1 areas.

Bad:
- Ludger as a silent character is a complete failure. He clearly has a distinct personality beyond the player's choices but is only allowed to display through his mimics and gestures. Those are quite well done, but the result is that he appears more like a normal character who lost his voice instead a transparent player character. The optional voices
only escalate this issue as the scenes are not adapted to the voices, so we get the acting of a silent character and voices on the top of it
- The huge basic design mistakes breaking soloing and multiplayer as part of the battle system have not been touched on at all. I guess people didn't cry loud enough about this...

Summary:
The game is more of a DC than the pre-release hype tried to make one believe. Plenty recycling, but the improved gameplay and especially the great story should make it worth a playthrough. Definitely more recommended than Xillia 1.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Alright, here's the partly transcribed Xillia 2 credits. As expected now all staff related to development is credited as part of Bandai Namco Studios while Bandai Namco Games retains only the boring publisher stuff. The staff size is typical for a DC style game, as usual mostly a subset of the game it builds upon. Former Tales Studio head Eiji Kikuchi is still credited as general manager, so I guess we can assume the Tales team is still a stable unit even within the Bandai Namco building. Kenji Anabuki is separately credited for the hilarious wanted posters. ^^

Now my observations, no actual story spoilers, but maybe you want to experience it yourself first.

Good:
- The story is the best I saw in a Tales game so far, it's
surprisingly dark and depressing, and not in a hamfisted Abyss way. Instead the scenario setup is exploited to its most extremes
. After Naoki Yamamoto's nice scenario work on Hearts this is another good entry, and I hope he gets to lead the scenarios in the future Tales games as well.
- The choices
make a huge difference, and that's what makes the story work so well. You make the decisions, you get the adequate results. Changed scenes, bonus scenes based on you party composition and several separate endings. Plenty replay value and a horror for those who want to quickly 100% the game
- Characters are all more likable and well-rounded than in Xillia 1.
- The game design improvements are all for the better. Only the debt system is debatable but works as one has access to all the Xillia 1 areas.

Bad:
- Ludger as a silent character is a complete failure. He clearly has a distinct personality beyond the player's choices but is only allowed to display through his mimics and gestures. Those are quite well done, but the result is that he appears more like a normal character who lost his voice instead a transparent player character. The optional voices
only escalate this issue as the scenes are not adapted to the voices, so we get the acting of a silent character and voices on the top of it
- The huge basic design mistakes breaking soloing and multiplayer as part of the battle system have not been touched on at all. I guess people didn't cry loud enough about this...

Summary:
The game is more of a DC than the pre-release hype tried to make one believe. Plenty recycling, but the improved gameplay and especially the great story should make it worth a playthrough. Definitely more recommended than Xillia 1.

You beat the game already? How long did it take?

Aeana

Oh, I was wondering because it seemed like a lot of people were importing the title. It lead me to believe the game had a good amount of English/English subtitles.

Well, I have no idea if everybody can understand Japanese. But if anybody is having any trouble, I'd be glad to help.

Shouta

Oh, I was wondering because it seemed like a lot of people were importing the title. It lead me to believe the game had a good amount of English/English subtitles.

Most people that are playing it in here have pretty solid or high level Japanese under their belts, I think.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
50,000 Gald this time needed to move on... urg.
Becoming an agent
should have had more benefits... like erasing some of this debt.

Aeana

Gald comes in really fast, honestly. Doing all of the red colored quests and the gigant monsters in each between-chapter segment has gotten me over the required amount with plenty to spare each time, so far.

Top Bottom