• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Destroying Worlds 4 U

Bladenic

Just watched the first two dual MAs and stopped there. Both were awesome and way flashier than the Xillia ones. Are those the only MAs or are there singles too?

Either way I'm really happy they included dual MAs, they were awesome in Rebirth and its great that they reappeared fully in this game.

FSLink

Banned
Oh, I was wondering because it seemed like a lot of people were importing the title. It lead me to believe the game had a good amount of English/English subtitles.

I personally don't understand why people think there's ever English subtitles in a Japanese game. >___>; I can't think of any that got them outside of the Ace Attorney 1-3 which got English translations anyway. Anybody got an example of a Japanese game that got English subtitles that wasn't given a US/EU release? Because I'd imagine it'd be extremely rare.

I still imported it anyway since I play Tales for the battle system. Looks like the scenario sounds decent though, so I look forward to an English release if it does come out. Xillia 1 needs to hurry up and get here first!

And yeah so far it's feeling a LOT like a Xillia 1 director's cut with a new scenario.
Just watched the first two dual MAs and stopped there. Both were awesome and way flashier than the Xillia ones. Are those the only MAs or are there singles too?

Either way I'm really happy they included dual MAs, they were awesome in Rebirth and its great that they reappeared fully in this game.

There's solo MAs too. Any confirmation if the Xillia 1 cast got a 2nd solo Mystic Arte?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
50,000 Gald this time needed to move on... urg.
Becoming an agent
should have had more benefits... like erasing some of this debt.

Becoming an agent made me use Corpse Shell. I aint complaining lol. I know they're unrelated.

Oh, I was wondering because it seemed like a lot of people were importing the title. It lead me to believe the game had a good amount of English/English subtitles.

it has none.

Having done :
-Tales of vesperia
-tales of xillia
-Tales of graces (wii)
-tales of rebirth
-tales of destiny DC
-tales of destiny 2
-Tales of versus
-Tales of the world 1,2,3
( all in japanese )

i think i'm ready for xillia 2 ... ( i decided to stop waiting for my games to be localised )

Most people that are playing it in here have pretty solid or high level Japanese under their belts, I think.
i'm in the "mostly solid" category..there are still plenty of things that are tearing my head appart.. but my level is fine for most games ...

Wanting to play a game give me another reason to polish my languages skills.

kayos90

Whoever made this change out party depending on which point of the game you're at and you get a crap comp for a boss battle needs to get fired. It's THE absolute worst thing about the game if you're playing on Hard. It's so frustrating to have characters that have crap arts cuz you get screwed over by the Orb system. I'm lvl 30 and I still don't have fucking revive.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stopping for tonight in the middle of chapter 7. I don't mind the forced party set up so far... mostly because the ones I want to link up with are typically still present.

kayos90

I'm realizing that there are a handful of bosses here that are super cheap. Not only can do they have super glory so you have to break through essentially 2 layers of shield, if you're within melee range they have kill moves that just annihilate your party. Oh yeah, add to the fact that bosses can still tech out mid-combo extremely fast. Ugh. I hate Xillia bosses.

Datschge

You beat the game already? How long did it take?

Naw, as I wrote before I've been watching live stream looking for the staff roll, and then the story hooked me. x.X Playtime among those players was typical for a Tales game, not short at all. Anyway stopped watching yesterday after getting the staff, saving the rest for whenever I get to play this myself, heh.

Some additional staff analysis: The special thanks section is usually a good indication of who is still employed. TS lead programmer Yu Otsuka appeared again there, but most of the TD veterans (save for Udo obviously) are notably absent. Hoping they are just busy with next year's main Tales instead meddling with a DC...

Jubern

Played two good hours and I like it.

Having all quests centralized is pretty nice. And it look like the story-relevant stuff is mostly relegated to the Character Episodes, which I find better than having to worry about missing a step in a timed quest!

I don't know what they were thinking with Rudger though. The guy obviously has some kind of personality, you can literally guess what he's thinking looking at his face. The silent treatment is really strange to say the least.

Aeana

I didn't have much time to play yesterday, but I hope I can get a bunch in today. I seem to have fallen quite a bit behind already.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm realizing that there are a handful of bosses here that are super cheap. Not only can do they have super glory so you have to break through essentially 2 layers of shield, if you're within melee range they have kill moves that just annihilate your party. Oh yeah, add to the fact that bosses can still tech out mid-combo extremely fast. Ugh. I hate Xillia bosses.
You mean you dislike Team Hearts-esque bosses. :p

So, uh, they didn't fix bosses in that the blue "!" comes up after a very short time and it's annoying on hard, eh? Doesn't maining Jude help a bit because you can use his dodge skill? Speaking of difficulty, you have to beat the game for Unknown again? >_<

kayos90 said:
It's not saying much but I'm enjoying this game more than I am AC3.
That really isn't saying much. If Xillia 2 has less bugs, then it's got AC3 beat. :p

Ultimate Question: Is Ludger more likeable than Connor? Because Aveline's got Connor beat (though that isn't even hard, and Liberation's story is almost paper-thin). And Ezio, even though he's a bit of a lech sometimes, has 'em both beat.

Torraz

Luckily VLR has totally kept my mind off of Xillia 2.

One question: How similar is the UI, and menu structure, to that of the first game? Are there some "translated" sample menu screenshots that exist somewhere?

kayos90

Luckily VLR has totally kept my mind off of Xillia 2.

One question: How similar is the UI, and menu structure, to that of the first game? Are there some "translated" sample menu screenshots that exist somewhere?

Pretty similar. Uh... it's fairly self explanatory so you won't really need translations.

It's hilarious seeing all the Hi-Ougi rumors in the game. lolz.

Aeana

Man, after all of the stuff I did between chapters 6 and 7, the enemies in chapter 7 are super incredibly easy.

I really like the atmosphere of this place, though. Really neat.

kayos90

Man, after all of the stuff I did between chapters 6 and 7, the enemies in chapter 7 are super incredibly easy.

I really like the atmosphere of this place, though. Really neat.

Which one was chapter 7? Is that the Astora place or something? I forget.

Aeana

Which one was chapter 7? Is that the Astora place or something? I forget.

Ascold, the
hydroponic food place

At first, I was kinda iffy on the whole idea of character relationships, but I have to admit that I really like the bonus scenes you can get if your relationship with certain characters is at a high enough level.

Torraz

Ascold, the
hydroponic food place

At first, I was kinda iffy on the whole idea of character relationships, but I have to admit that I really like the bonus scenes you can get if your relationship with certain characters is at a high enough level.

Is it possible to get those up to a good enough level via enough grinding or other regular in-game activities? Or does one have to follow some true end guide and constantly make the "correct" choices?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Fought
Chronos for what I assume won't be the last time
. At first I thought it was an event battle, but nope! Glad I didn't sell off my revive items like I was going to earlier.

kayos90

Ascold, the
hydroponic food place

I agree. It's a neat idea especially considering Tales games are a character driven narrative. After having this, I'm surprised that this wasn't implemented earlier.

Fought
. At first I thought it was an event battle, but nope! Glad I didn't sell off my revive items like I was going to earlier.

He's so stupid to fight on hard.

Aeana

Is it possible to get those up to a good enough level via enough grinding or other regular in-game activities? Or does one have to follow some true end guide and constantly make the "correct" choices?

I'm sure it is; your relationship with characters grows gradually just by using them in battles and moreso if you link with them. but it's not nearly as much as choosing the right options. I did get an item called friend link S which boosts character relationship values, but I don't know if it's a super rare item or not.

Torraz

I'm sure it is; your relationship with characters grows gradually just by using them in battles and moreso if you link with them. but it's not nearly as much as choosing the right options. I did get an item called friend link S which boosts character relationship values, but I don't know if it's a super rare item or not.

Thank you. I'd like to try to play the game through without a guide, at least during the first play through. I usually don't replay these kind of games, but no VA for Ludger pretty much assures that I will do so...

Was that item an equippable or some kind of usable?

jae

Fought

After how easy the rest of the chapter was, that fight was a serious change.

Working on the next part.

Did Millas boobs bounce that much in the first one. ;/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

LOL. I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

kayos90

Pretty sure boob physics haven't changed. LOLOLOLOLOL

Aeana

Fought

I just did this, and it blew my mind how unevenly balanced it is compared to everything that came before it.

kayos90

I just did this, and it blew my mind how unevenly balanced it is compared to everything that came before it.

Yup. And you're playing on Normal, right? Can you imagine the hell I went through. He was the first boss I actually said, "Fuck this. I don't care if all my party members are alive at the end." I ended up killing the son of a bitch with only 100 health on Alvin. Everyone else dead. I thought he was an inviciboss too. *sigh*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
He's a pretty attractive dude.
I'm glad we're in agreement this time. :p

Yup. And you're playing on Normal, right? Can you imagine the hell I went through. He was the first boss I actually said, "Fuck this. I don't care if all my party members are alive at the end." I ended up killing the son of a bitch with only 100 health on Alvin. Everyone else dead. I thought he was an inviciboss too. *sigh*
Is it basically because he is using their hi-ougi all over the place or should I take that as "hard mode is actually challenging and engaging" now?

Oh yeah. How do you hi-ougi in this? I heard it's different from Xillia 1's in that you don't need to do it while using ougi artes.

kayos90

I'm glad we're in agreement this time. :p

Is it basically because he is using their hi-ougi all over the place or should I take that as "hard mode is actually challenging and engaging" now?

It's cheap. No hi-ougi. He essentially
has super glory so it's impossible to stagger. Impossible to combo. He uses Haste so all his magic gets instacast basically. He has one move where he casts Stalagmite, Spash, Wind Blade, and Fireball all at the same time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's cheap. No hi-ougi. He essentially
has super glory so it's impossible to stagger. Impossible to combo. He uses Haste so all his magic gets instacast basically. He has one move where he casts Stalagmite, Spash, Wind Blade, and Fireball all at the same time.
It sounds more bs than Xillia 1's
solo Milla battle against Musee on Unknown
. It's stuff like that where I'm sure that's what Free Run/Hit-and-Run has been intended for, but man I hate that kinda stuff.

Aeana

K1JUk.jpg

Yesss, artes ball. I'm so glad they give it to you as part of the story this time, instead of that black feather crap in Xillia 1.

kayos90

K1JUk.jpg

Yesss, artes ball. I'm so glad they give it to you as part of the story this time, instead of that black feather crap in Xillia 1.

I was fine with the Artes Ball. Then I realized all the mapping I had to do on Ludger cuz of three weapons. FML.

Top Bottom