• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

The other night I went 1vs1 against Yasae, both as Heavy (Me with default Minigun, him with Tomislav), both with a medic. The thing is that I had the Minigun already spun up, but he still won.

I should note that we were really close, melee range.

mojiimbo

Apparently the maul, sun on a stick and three-run blade drop now. :) The wiki says the new crate has a strange black box, axtinguisher and razorback too.

Blizzard

Banned
Tenck said:
Steam support is atrocious. I fully understand the complaints I've heard.
What did you have to contact them about? My experiences have mostly been okay, but my problems weren't too complicated.

So once again my TF2 files decide to take a dump on me. Stuck at 100% verifying and 2128498% defragmented, I've ended up using a third party defrag application to try and help my poor disgruntled .GCF files. Wish me luck. All else fails, I'll have a 10 gig download of TF2 going over night and into the next week. (Slow internet speeds FTL)

Forkball

mojiimbo said:
Apparently the maul, sun on a stick and three-run blade drop now. :) The wiki says the new crate has a strange black box, axtinguisher and razorback too.
Lulz at people who traded a ton of stuff for the Maul.

PROMO.jpg
[/IMG]

Tenck

Blizzard said:
What did you have to contact them about? My experiences have mostly been okay, but my problems weren't too complicated.

Ever since the maintenance my account has been pretty much been fucked. I try to reset my password and I forget what the answer to my secret question. Then I think I remember it and try again, only to have Steam tell me my account doesn't exist.

I've dealt with bad support before, but this takes the cake. I guess I've taken Blizzard's excellent support for granted and hoped a company as big as Valve had a support system half as good as Blizzard's.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
4 pipes takes about 2 seconds to fire. Cart + medic is 34 health of healing per second. Assuming full over heal from the first pipe, after unloading all 4 pipes he's still be at about 115 health (closer to 150~175 in the time it takes you to switch to the sticky launcher and get a hit). In the same time it took to fire all 4 nades he'll have dealt 300 or more damage to you. The only good way to take out heavies is cornering. Catching them off guard used to work fine, but now with the Tomislav that generally doesn't work. The thing about payload is that, a heavy has no reason to chase you if he's on the cart. You have to come to him. It also means he has unlimited ammo, so he never needs to worry about spin up or slow movement speed, since the cart won't go any faster than him anyway.

Kills don't matter if you complete the objective. Getting close to the cart to stop it means near-instant death. Staying away from the cart means they keep pushing it. For the team without heavies it becomes a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I've played on Valve servers too.

It takes about 50 seconds to build a kritz. With the GRU it'll take the heavies about 15 seconds to respawn and get back on the cart. Also, if they have ubers a kritz demo isn't going to do anything.

The problem is one of effort vs. reward. it's extremely easy to play heavy decently. It takes far less coordination to play heavy than it does to take one out. hell, i consider myself a pretty terrible heavy. Even so, when random class decides to make me play one i generally go like 4:1 (unless I'm dicking around with the family business or some other silly loadout).

Metaphorically isn't really that bad. I'd easily rather face him than a Tomislav/Sandvich/GRU heavy. Especially when he has horrible latency. because then even if you retreat they still kill you because of lag compensation.

All spies, including Metaphorically, aren't too hard to deal with when you know they're skulking about. You might not kill them, but they won't kill you either, which is fine.

1. Nades will do splash damage on everyone there. Medics will be the most vulnerable and pretty much one krit will finish them be it random or kritzkrieg. If I'm spamming that much WITH another demoman, no amount of fucking healing is going to save them. If you think two demomen can't take out 3 heavies and medics, you haven't seen the demomen I've seen. And if the demomen couldn't get an angle on them, then they're not the right demomen. I need to upload that one video where one good krit nade wiped out half of Red...

2. Their fault for not setting up a sentry.

3. I don't play on Valve servers. The people who think 'heavy is easy mode class all you do is point and shoot' are usually the ones I wipe out first because they don't understand the class. I regularly kill scrub heavies on GAF and GG as well. I don't think I've gotten a surprise kill on Sciz or n0b

4. Assuming you spread heals around, kritz take less than 50 seconds to build. A kritz demo could've taken out at least one of those medic/heavy scrub pairs.

5. Underestimating what goes into Heavy...see #3.

6. It's people like YOU that allow him to fucking get behind lines and stab/sap/annoy the rest of the team. It's not a matter of killing him or getting killed. There's no end to the trouble he can cause as I was fully aware of on Barnblitz. Sap. Help!? Nope. Shit destroyed. "where's the tele? Why didn't you build a tele?" "FUCK YOU!" If you honestly think a spy behind lines with his bullshit instakill knife and his two-hit kill bullshit revolver isn't a problem, well, I sure don't see you playing medic. :mad:

Tenck

commissar said:
I'm confused as to how you would forget an answer to a question you wrote about yourself.

Good luck with support though

I use the same password for like 99% of my accounts. The maintenance screwed everything up. And I don't take secret questions seriously since I never forget my password. Now I'm stuck with no help and it's stupid that the support is terrible. Even my ISP has better support than Valve, and they've always been horrid.

Forkball

XeroSauce said:
We should have gotten a Gaffer into the Pubs vs. Pros match that happened recently.
I've had the idea of making a NeoGAF team to compete in tourneys. No, not the team with Artist/Java/n0b etc. Not even a back up team. I mean the backups TO the backups. Maybe even their backups. Me, Sgt.Pepper, Acerac, ConBrio etc. We would have nothing to lose.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
1. Nades will do splash damage on everyone there. Medics will be the most vulnerable and pretty much one krit will finish them be it random or kritzkrieg. If I'm spamming that much WITH another demoman, no amount of fucking healing is going to save them.
The splash damage is relatively weak compared to the direct hit damage. you'd be doing about 55~60% damage vs the other heavies, so around 250 damage.

It's not just the healing that saves them, it's the healing plus the high DPS. At medium and close range a heavy will out damage a demo and has a high health pool to draw from. Not to mention his weapon is hitscan, so you can't avoid it. At the ranges that demomen start to outdamage heavies dodging their nades is realatively easy, even while spun up. Without a crit, the four heavies will take demo the demomen before they can even get their third shot off. The only way that wouldn't happen is if the heavies are completely oblivious and deaf (which, some heavies are).

Mentioning random crits is pointless, because you can't really balance for randomness. If the heavy gets a crit and you don't you're dead. Likewise, if you get a crit and he doesn't he's dead.

2. Their fault for not setting up a sentry.
Last I checked only engineers can build sentries. And a single level 3 sentry isn't going to stop 4 heavy medic pairs. You'd need multiple sentries. basically, a bunch of people would need to go engineer and turtle. Which slows the game down tremendously, which, in turn, makes it boring. That's what I've been saying from the beginning. Playing against massed heavies makes the game boring.

3. I don't play on Valve servers. The people who think 'heavy is easy mode class all you do is point and shoot' are usually the ones I wipe out first because they don't understand the class. I regularly kill scrub heavies on GAF and GG as well. I don't think I've gotten a surprise kill on Sciz or n0b
No one is saying that heavies are impossible to kill. I kill them all the time. The points i'm making are: it takes more effort to kill them then it does for them to kill you, and, when there's two or more of them that differential is multiplied, making the gap even wider.

4. Assuming you spread heals around, kritz take less than 50 seconds to build.
A kritz takes 32 seconds to build at maximum rate. Accounting for time between changing targets, medic deaths, syringe gun assists and other such pauses, I'd say 45~50 seconds is a fairly pragmatic amount of time.

5. Underestimating what goes into Heavy...see #3.
Nope. All heavy requires is general strategy. His only class-specific strategies are "alt fire to throw sandvich" and GRU bunny hopping. Map knowledge, general awareness, knowing when to push, when to retreat and when to hold those are things EVERY class needs. A lot of people have a psychological hudle of overextending because they're playing a large character, but that can hardly be construed as an actual class weakness. it falls into the same category as people (of any class) getting tunnel vision when they're ubered. it's not any actual weakness from a mechanical standpoint.

6. It's people like YOU that allow him to fucking get behind lines and stab/sap/annoy the rest of the team. It's not a matter of killing him or getting killed. There's no end to the trouble he can cause as I was fully aware of on Barnblitz. Sap. Help!? Nope. Shit destroyed. "where's the tele? Why didn't you build a tele?" "FUCK YOU!" If you honestly think a spy behind lines with his bullshit instakill knife and his two-hit kill bullshit revolver isn't a problem, well, I sure don't see you playing medic. :mad:
I have no idea what you're talking about. last time i played barnblitz on the GAF server I was a spy and sapping teleporters all over the place. >:D

More to the point, if my team isn't good at being aware of spies, me chasing after them isn't going to help (unless I'm a pyro). All it's going to do is take a man away from the front lines, which isn't any better than being backstabbed. Either way, you're down a man.

Forkball said:
I've had the idea of making a NeoGAF team to compete in tourneys. No, not the team with Artist/Java/n0b etc. Not even a back up team. I mean the backups TO the backups. Maybe even their backups. Me, Sgt.Pepper, Acerac, ConBrio etc. We would have nothing to lose.

.... :(

I'm that bad huh? I thought I was pretty decent as a Medic.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Give them kritz, they don't work that well with ubers unless the soldier it is good. Only 4 rockets or less.

Yeah, if you are going to Uber a Soldier you need to be absolutely sure they have 4 rockets.

Forkball said:
I would be down for this.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
GGs everyone tonight was a fun night.

But seriously, fuck the 3rd stage of Thunder Mountain.

Proven

Already know my position on the argument, so I'm just going to call for it to stop. It's not doing us any good. We generally police ourselves on the server well enough too.

I'll go practice more Solly/Demo later (it's weird, I'm 10x better at getting direct hits with pills rather than rockets, so I really need to fix that).

JackFrost said:
I'm going to finally care about getting that Halloween stuff.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Speaking of jerks, Fallengorn had my number the entire night.

Whenever I would start getting a streak going, BAM, out of nowhere a crocket right from him :p.

Proven said:
Already know my position on the argument, so I'm just going to call for it to stop. It's not doing us any good. We generally police ourselves on the server well enough too.

I'll go practice more Solly/Demo later (it's weird, I'm 10x better at getting direct hits with pills rather than rockets, so I really need to fix that).

I'm going to finally care about getting that Halloween stuff.
While 24/7, the server has ridiculous premium stuff. Took me about 1-2 hours trying to get it because of the homing sentry or rockets or whatever that server has.

Acerac

Banned
Pancakes said:
Speaking of jerks, Fallengorn had my number the entire night.

Whenever I would start getting a streak going, BAM, out of nowhere a crocket right from him :p.
Fallengorn always has my number with his 10 million kill rocket launcher. No matter how well I'm doing he ends up crushing my face. o_o

Also I gladly accept my spot as the medic for the backup team for the backup team for the backup team. Sounds about the level of play I am ready for! Perhaps it'd be best if we added a few more backup teams ahead of me.

Highlight of the night was dominating n0b as medic by killing him repeatedly. I've never dominated anyone as a medic by killing them myself and I couldn't imagine a better target!

Acerac said:
Fallengorn always has my number with his 10 million kill rocket launcher. No matter how well I'm doing he ends up crushing my face. o_o

Also I gladly accept my spot as the medic for the backup team for the backup team for the backup team. Sounds about the level of play I am ready for! Perhaps it'd be best if we added a few more backup teams ahead of me.

Highlight of the night was dominating n0b as medic by killing him repeatedly. I've never dominated anyone as a medic by killing them myself and I couldn't imagine a better target!
n0b was messing around near the end. He would get himself to one health and then try to kill people with the equalizer. Also, the best game tonight was steel where we couldn't cap A and made a big push to E in the last 5 seconds of the match to win.

Pancakes

Dr. Pangloss said:
n0b was messing around near the end. He would get himself to one health and then try to kill people with the equalizer. Also, the best game tonight was steel where we couldn't cap A and made a big push to E in the last 5 seconds of the match to win.

That was fucking hilarious.

Acerac

Banned
Dr. Pangloss said:
Quiet you! n0b is never joking around he is always completely serious!!1!

Pancakes said:
That was fucking hilarious.
I felt bad for both teams.

Yeef

Looking over the admin list...
Remy, Yeef, Blizzard, Javaman, NerOh, ArtistDude, n0b, Doug Welder, DrKirby, Commissar Bacon, Wartime, Toxic Xcstacy, Twig, Baha, Inkwell, Borgnine, Speculawyer, Forkball, Spaceboy, Zerokku
Most of these people don't play much, if at all, anymore.

So say hello to two new admins: Sciz & Fallengorn.

Clydefrog said:
Had a bad time tonight except for one life. Decided to upload it for the hell of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXk-VPlxYms

Felt like I was the only player on the team most of the time.
0:55

Janky melee confirmed.

Top Bottom