• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Tenck

Cloudius12 said:
I've been meaning to take a break from TF2 for a while, but I just can't. I really want to try and get good with scout but I'm just horrible with a mouse and keyboard.

Well you could try to ask Kuro, but I think he expects you change your bad habits way too quick. Who's to say jumping while playing scout is bad? I'd say it's the opposite and you need to do it once in a while to screw with your opponents head. It's most effective when you have good aim, so just practicing with another scout is good.

I'd gladly show you some stuff I know, but I doubt it's much to take you to amazing levels.

Yeef

Jumping as a scout has it's uses, but what Kuro is saying is that you don't want to jump for no reason. That goes for any class, but Scouts tend to do it more than others. jumping makes predicting where you'll be a lot easier than strafing and juking does. Generally, in combat, you only want to use the double and triple jump to trip up your enemies.

For Soldiers and demos, to make them shoot where they think you'll land, then using your second (or third) jump to change direction, making them miss their shot. Much like airblasting, it's much harder to do against good players, because they won't get flustered in combat and will just wait for you to exhaust your jumps (or, if they're really good, airshot you).

For heavies, jumping over them can sometimes work if they're terrible at aiming. Most even semi-decent heavies will track you the whole way though, and you'll be torn to ribbons. It tends to work best when you meatshot a heavy from behind and then jump over him as he turns around. It can give you the edge you need to get in those two extra meatshots to take him down, but if you're not used to it, it'll hurt more than help, because it will throw off your aim.

Tenck

Yeef said:
Jumping as a scout has it's uses, but what Kuro is saying is that you don't want to jump for no reason. That goes for any class, but Scouts tend to do it more than others. jumping makes predicting where you'll be a lot easier than strafing and juking does. Generally, in combat, you only want to use the double and triple jump to trip up your enemies.

For Soldiers and demos, to make them shoot where they think you'll land, then using your second (or third) jump to change direction, making them miss their shot. Much like airblasting, it's much harder to do against good players, because they won't get flustered in combat and will just wait for you to exhaust your jumps (or, if they're really good, airshot you).

For heavies, jumping over them can sometimes work if they're terrible at aiming. Most even semi-decent heavies will track you the whole way though, and you'll be torn to ribbons. It tends to work best when you meatshot a heavy from behind and then jump over him as he turns around. It can give you the edge you need to get in those two extra meatshots to take him down, but if you're not used to it, it'll hurt more than help, because it will throw off your aim.

Oh I know not to jump just because, but when we were playing a random map Kuro just came in and told Corn to stop jumping without really explaining why Corn's jumping was bad.

I as a Scout I hardly rely on jumping anymore since I've developed most of my strafing and juking from Quake. In that game, as soon as you jump, all someone has to do is pull out the rail or Lightning gun and you're done for.

But then there's times when I stop playing Quake for a while and play scout and jump like a mad man and still pull off great shots. I hate to sound like I brag, but I've put lots and lots of time to improve my accuracy and even when I jump I tend to hit about 80+% of my shots. I don't think there's anyone who can't accomplish that if they set their mind to it.

Edit: Forgot to say that being predictable is going to kill you no matter how good your aim is. So yeah, as you said, you need to mix it up and screw with the enemy. What I see a lot of scouts do on the ground and in the air is they just move left and right. There's no diversity to their movements and when they get beaten, they feel like the class isn't for them.

When dodging or strafing/juking, it should be your top priority to use every single angle you can move in and take your enemy by surprise.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I must admit jumping and hitting someone with the Sandman is slightly satisfying when you want to play in shenanigans mode.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft, tenck, you aren't paying attention. I've clarified it many times on the forum and Yeef knows why I say 'don't' jump.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I learned the hard way playing against comp scouts.

I'd jump and then double jump at the apex and they'd fuck me up good.

Facing experienced sollies and demos...even a single jump would mess me up.

And cornburrito still jumps too much...

And cloudius, your ping doesn't help, but just keep working on what I've told you
Positioning, dodging, timing, and not jumping.

Jumping in tight quarters will also mess you up if you get caught on something...happened to me on thunder mountain.

By all means dbl jump when nobody is around, but use it only when needed in a fight.

So a friend of mine from the UK hooked me up with this

ScreenShot2011-09-28at110246AM.png

I knew that some day it would payoff to have some UK friends

fellsgood.gif

Proven

Yeef said:
Projectiles, including flames, aren't lag compensated. Basically, if the pyro has bad ping you're more likely to avoid his flames. If YOU have bad ping you're less likely to avoid his flames and be killed through walls by flames.
Projectiles might not, but thie issue is related to placement and angles. Lag compensation doesn't just effect hitscan detection, or else those front stabs would just be slashes.

Edit: It could also have to do with something specific to the weapon's coding, just like how Sniper rifles and the Huntsman have different headshot hitboxes.

The Omega Man said:
So a friend of mine from the UK hooked me up with this

ScreenShot2011-09-28at110246AM.png

I knew that some day it would payoff to have some UK friends

fellsgood.gif

whered you put code? One of my UK friends sent me one but steam said its invalid,i put it in games->activate product (he dont play so i KNOW he didnt use it, someone mightve took it prior though) or i could just be putting code in wrong place :/

Yeef

Proven said:
Projectiles might not, but thie issue is related to placement and angles. Lag compensation doesn't just effect hitscan detection, or else those front stabs would just be slashes.

Edit: It could also have to do with something specific to the weapon's coding, just like how Sniper rifles and the Huntsman have different headshot hitboxes.
Melee weapons, like the knife, are hitscan, but they use the projectile hull to determine hits instead of the hitscan hitbox. They are still lag compensated though.

The huntsman uses the projectile hull for hits and anything in the to x% of the hull is considered a headshot.

JackFrost said:
whered you put code? One of my UK friends sent me one but steam said its invalid,i put it in games->activate product (he dont play so i KNOW he didnt use it, someone mightve took it prior though) or i could just be putting code in wrong place :/

that's exactly where you punch the code, however my friend told me that the codes are very easy to see without buying the magazine, and that with a quick snapshot you could get a code without buying it, so maybe your code was used already, try to verify with your friend, maybe there is a typo somewhere.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
HAT DROP. I got it last night but I didn't die so it didn't show up in chat and no one saw my glory. It's a Furious Fukaamigasa, which I'm not going to wear, but at least the game knows not to fuck with me.

Also Yeefbutt, maps and servers tab under individual players shows total deaths but only kills from the last 30 days, so the K:Ds are all messed up. Also, you tore shit up on Thunder Mountain. Also penis.

Proven

Yeef said:
Melee weapons, like the knife, are hitscan, but they use the projectile hull to determine hits instead of the hitscan hitbox. They are still lag compensated though.

The huntsman uses the projectile hull for hits and anything in the to x% of the hull is considered a headshot.
Then what equation or mechanism is used to calculate front slash/backstab angle? And doesn't the source engine have some degree of lag prediction along with compensation?

Thinking about it some more, most wonky type issues I've had with the Backburner are crits not registering. I guess I just forgot particles are considered projectiles. Which would explain why I quickly got good at flaming...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Proven said:
Then what equation or mechanism is used to calculate front slash/backstab angle? And doesn't the source engine have some degree of lag prediction along with compensation?

Thinking about it some more, most wonky type issues I've had with the Backburner are crits not registering. I guess I just forgot particles are considered projectiles. Which would explain why I quickly got good at flaming...
Where your camera is pointed at is considered your "Front". If you hit any spot that is in the 180 degree area behind where you are facing, it is a backstab.

moojito

Drkirby said:
Where your camera is pointed at is considered your "Front". If you hit any spot that is in the 180 degree area behind where you are facing, it is a backstab.

Apparently a player's shoulders are your reference point here as well. Not the head.

Obsessed said:
Tenck going on and on and on about his KD ratio is turning this into a Halo thread.

yeah I just try to avoid it now except things that relate directly to me (pc gamer hat, pyro update) otherwise I just try to avoid the general convo.
Guess if I was as good as some the guys id tell everyone everyday how awesome I am....maybe someday lol

Obsessed said:
Tenck going on and on and on about his KD ratio is turning this into a Halo thread.
I wonder how does he fare playing a class that doesn't rely on the other team being idiots.

Spies can suck a big one!

Sianos

Rank 48 on the server, huzzah!
IT'S BALROG

Tenck said:
Gaf let me dominate today. My KDR went from 1.39 to 1.45 today. You're slipping Gaf!
I wonder if that has anything to do with you switching to the watch that lets you feign death and take 10% damage while cloaked?

:p

Divius

NSQuote said:
I wonder if that has anything to do with you switching to the watch that lets you feign death and take 10% damage while cloaked?
Lol is that really a weapon? sounds kinda overpowered.

Yeef

Proven said:
Where you're facing and where the target is facing is all that determines back angle. There's a good write up on how it works here: http://technofovea.com/blog/archives/278

Lag compensation is done serverside. Lag 'prediction' (interpolation) can be done client side, but it doesn't affect the server. That's why you generally want to keep interp as low as possible (I keep mine around .016; default is .1).

Tenck

Sgt.Pepper said:
I wonder how does he fare playing a class that doesn't rely on the other team being idiots.

Spies can suck a big one!

Ask Corn how he did against me as Scout.

Playing other classes is fine, but none of them are as fun as the Spy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tenck said:
Ask Corn how he did against me as Scout.

Playing other classes is fine, but none of them are as fun as the Spy.
Pfft...more like cornybrio

You can talk big when you out-scout/spy artistdude

Now he's is definitely a goddamn handful.

Edit: WE'VE TURNED IT INTO A TF2 THREAD OH NOES!

Tenck

Kuro Madoushi said:
Pfft...more like cornybrio

You can talk big when you out-scout/spy artistdude

Now he's is definitely a goddamn handful.

Edit: WE'VE TURNED IT INTO A TF2 THREAD OH NOES!

I have beaten Artist as a Scout before, but the match wasn't long enough for him to make a comeback. I've also surpassed his kills with Spy for now.

Not trying to brag, but just answering you.

I would love to try and play against Artist some more, but he's away for a while since he's a bit bored of TF2. When he comes back we can resume our unofficial match against each other.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Zomba13 said:
Was going to buy the mag from the shops tomorrow as my Dad no longer subscribes. I checked out that Zinio thing and was very pleasently surprised that it's available for £2.99 and not £5.99.
I don't know when they're sending out codes though. I don't think anyone who's bought it has received a code yet.

sixghost

I remember someone referring to a TF2-Gaf video/montage that someone made, but I can't find it on youtube or anything. Is it still hosted somewhere?

Top Bottom