• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Forkball said:
mVAg0.jpg
Guile.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Cloudius12 said:
It's only amazing the first go through. I hate that map. 2 rounds might have been ok. But man, I'm sorry but that map sucks!
Fair enough, that was my first time playing the map so...

And welp, looks like my internet decided to give out so I'm done. GGs everyone.

PS - Stop shooting me with the Machina I traded you, Kuro. :(

I've been running tf2 on native resolution for quite a while now (1280 x 800), and maps like high tower kill my fps so bad, i decided to turn resolution down to the lowest and tweak some settings in autoexec.cfg, hopefully its better.

and I have been practicing Scout for a while now, approaching my Engineer hours (which is almost 40 hours). I started Scout seriously when I have 4 hours on him, now I'm up to around 27 hours. (playing on Valve, Unofficial Reddit, Gaf servers)

I think I'm getting better.

railGUN

Banned
Can servers that are VAC secured have player stat boosts or anything? I play on a server that a donation can get you immune to team balance etc. but the playing field should be level otherwise correct?

railGUN said:
Can servers that are VAC secured have player stat boosts or anything? I play on a server that a donation can get you immune to team balance etc. but the playing field should be level otherwise correct?
Night Team servers get away with a lot worse.

Acerac

Banned
railGUN said:
Nighteam servers have the most absurdly unbalanced rewards for donating. Most servers are fine, but they are just patently absurd. Engies being able to drop 3 sentry guns simultaneously is my favorite example.

*Scrolls down to topic review*

Screw you Beef I'm posting anyways!

Proven

The problem with these Quick Fix arguments is the same thing that I said when it first came out. It's all about mindset and playstyle. Most of the TF2 base, Medics and combat classes alike, play in a high burst style, very similar to Quake and other PC FPS games. People don't retreat often enough, battles tend to end quickly with just a couple of close range shots. In those instances, having overheal is important. Heck, comp TF2 ended up coalescing around 6v6 in part because it emphasizes that style of play even more.

My preferred playstyle for both Medic and other classes matches the Quick Fix though, so the hard part for me is rolling with a group of people that will also make this work. You need around three viable players to heal in order to make it worth it in most circumstances, and that is surprisingly hard to find across the entire userbase at any one time.

It doesn't help that so much of TF2 is focused around burst damage. Headshots, Backstabs, Stickies, Arrows, Crit Rockets. All "buffs" that the Pyro has had since inception have been to turn it away from damage over time and more towards burst damage as well. I think it was because of this fact that one of the early tests they did in the TF2 Beta was see what would happen if they doubled everybody's health.

The Quick Fix will always be the medigun that I prefer, but a Medic is a force multiplier; he's only as strong as his team. So in most cases I'm forced into using the other two mediguns unless I feel like giving a handicap and going hard mode.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Proven said:
The problem with these Quick Fix arguments is the same thing that I said when it first came out. It's all about mindset and playstyle. Most of the TF2 base, Medics and combat classes alike, play in a high burst style, very similar to Quake and other PC FPS games. People don't retreat often enough, battles tend to end quickly with just a couple of close range shots. In those instances, having overheal is important. Heck, comp TF2 ended up coalescing around 6v6 in part because it emphasizes that style of play even more.

My preferred playstyle for both Medic and other classes matches the Quick Fix though, so the hard part for me is rolling with a group of people that will also make this work. You need around three viable players to heal in order to make it worth it in most circumstances, and that is surprisingly hard to find across the entire userbase at any one time.

It doesn't help that so much of TF2 is focused around burst damage. Headshots, Backstabs, Stickies, Arrows, Crit Rockets. All "buffs" that the Pyro has had since inception have been to turn it away from damage over time and more towards burst damage as well. I think it was because of this fact that one of the early tests they did in the TF2 Beta was see what would happen if they doubled everybody's health.

The Quick Fix will always be the medigun that I prefer, but a Medic is a force multiplier; he's only as strong as his team. So in most cases I'm forced into using the other two mediguns unless I feel like giving a handicap and going hard mode.
Thanks for your insight.

It feels like TF2 has 'you will die ranges' and 'you will take 20 damage' ranges. If you peck away at distances.

e.g. Medic + Soldier/Demo/Heavy vs Quickfix team (same classes)
Overhealed people focus 1 enemy, now that side that lost a player has to retreat. Overheal also gives mobility and then medics gets sniped and it all goes to shit.

In theory I guess. 50% overheal just seems like far far too much to give up.
I guess if you push aggressively and stay really close to your medic and uber to kill medics before they uber it can work, but it feels like TF2 is too random (random nades, crits) that it doesn't payoff.

*The other mediguns allow other players to attack without a near medic where the quickfix supports battles at midranges, but only people in the immediate area. I guess?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven, argument irrelevant.

How many matches have you played where, CLEARLY, quick shits was the deciding factor?

I see more times where it has screwed the team over and 'prevented' a win.

Well defended sentry nest? Quick shit isn't going to stop that.

Well coordinated def? Quick shit ain't going to stop that.

I can't imagine it being useful in comp either when the other med can give overheals.

I get your argument, but spreading 50% buff through your team>>>healing quickly.

Bakphoon

Chinner said:
does anyone have that code for idling? i want items before the wednesday reset.

Make a new shortcut with

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid -dxlevel 81 +map "itemtest"

as path.

yeoz

Bakphoon said:
Make a new shortcut with

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid -dxlevel 81 +map "itemtest"

as path.
Most people will probably want to remove -dxlevel 81 as this may affect the game's video settings (if you're using something other than dxlevel 81 currently).

Yeef

Cloudius12 said:
I've been running tf2 on native resolution for quite a while now (1280 x 800), and maps like high tower kill my fps so bad, i decided to turn resolution down to the lowest and tweak some settings in autoexec.cfg, hopefully its better.
Rather than lowering your resolution you should try reducing/removing your Bloom and/or HDR settings. Upward and Cashworks seem to have less than optimal HDR and will bog down your computer in the outdoors areas (which is basically the whole map).

Also, demos are up: http://tf2.gafserver.com/demos/

Yeef

Awards are based on calendar days, East Coast time. Since we generally play past midnight, some of the stats from the previous night will be counted.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:

How many matches have you played where, CLEARLY, quick shits was the deciding factor?

I can't imagine it being useful in comp either when the other med can give overheals.

I get your argument, but spreading 50% buff through your team>>>healing quickly.

Agreed, it's incredibly situational. The one 'great' benefit, is you can cap a point while the Quick-Fix is deployed. Otherwise, any decent defense is going to blow the Quick-Fix away with a sentry nest, a Kritz waiting in the wings (which the Quick-Fix won't stop), etc. Not being immune to backstabs, headshots, or damage.. while not being able to overheal, no thanks.

I see mostly 'new' Medics trying to use the Quick-Fix and without a care in the world if it's working well for the team, or not.

Javaman said:
Quickfix beats out kritz and uber for making that last push to the end for payload or cp. You can cap while ubered unlike the others. As long as you do a little bit of dodging for the heavy stuff like demo charges and rockets you can pretty much live through anything, even a sentry at range.

Yeah I like doing this. Of course I remember when my QFubered teammate refused to push the cart with me over the last point. -_-

And... I do think the QF Uber needs to either negate crits while active.

Also speaking of people not retreating. I get so annoyed when I am healing a Solider/Heavy/Demoman/Pyro and instead of waiting for me to fully heal them or even overheal them they charge into battle at like 50-70% health...

Or when I am healing an injured Heavy (like 30% health), and we have a good escape route, but he chooses to try to take down the 8 or so enemies by himself instead of retreating so I can get him back to full.

AND I HATE when I am at 85% ubercharge and a soldier decides to activate his Buff Banner and go for an offensive push. Dude... if you had waited just a bit longer we could have gone in with crits and invincibility. -_-

Clydefrog said:
so happy i got my cloud hat back

What happened to it that made you think you lost it?

Btw Artemis, I calculated the the total cost yesterday. You owe over $200k for all that public urination.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
Yeah I like doing this. Of course I remember when my QFubered teammate refused to push the cart with me over the last point. -_-

1. And... I do think the QF Uber needs to either negate crits while active.

2. Also speaking of people not retreating. I get so annoyed when I am healing a Solider/Heavy/Demoman/Pyro and instead of waiting for me to fully heal them or even overheal them they charge into battle at like 50-70% health...

3. Or when I am healing an injured Heavy (like 30% health), and we have a good escape route, but he chooses to try to take down the 8 or so enemies by himself instead of retreating so I can get him back to full.

4. AND I HATE when I am at 85% ubercharge and a soldier decides to activate his Buff Banner and go for an offensive push. Dude... if you had waited just a bit longer we could have gone in with crits and invincibility. -_-

1. Agreed...though it won't stop headshots/cuntsman/DoucheRingerspies
2. You don't need to fully heal them. If they want to go, it's their perogative.
3. Leave him to die - a live medic is more important than a heavy.
4. Let him go. Go find someone else to heal. No point in risking your life.

As for capping a point with the Quick Shits. Let's say you and two others are capping and you pop the QF. You're spreading heals around and ONE demoman comes and throws two stickies and one of them is crit. You're boned.

Quick Shits = useless til they fix it.

Clydefrog

Obsessed said:
What happened to it that made you think you lost it?

Btw Artemis, I calculated the the total cost yesterday. You owe over $200k for all that public urination.

I gave it to someone so they could have an unusual for a bit :lol

and :O my peeeeeeeee

Clydefrog said:
I gave it to someone so they could have an unusual for a bit :lol

Bold move, not only you could have lost it forever, but you gave a poor sob a taste of an ultra rare hat, you never know how a non unusual hat owner is going to react to the sudden possession of one, it can corrupt them like the ring of mordor

Hazaro said:
Play in Fullscreen Windowed
add -noborder to the launch settings

Then verify your game data/cache I guess
Cloudius12 said:
you can do what Hazaro say, you do lose some fps though.

Thank You.
That seemed to fix it... i just gotta redo my settings and hopefully ill be back to dead-weight in no-time

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The Omega Man said:
ring of mordor

Come on now, what the hell is that. You really think Sauron in the form an Annatar, lord of gifts, would have been able to fool the elves of Eregion led by Celebrimbor if he had just come right out and called The One Ring, the "Ring Of Mordor?" I can't even believe I've even had to read such a preposterous thing on the internet.

Clydefrog

The Omega Man said:
Bold move, not only you could have lost it forever, but you gave a poor sob a taste of an ultra rare hat, you never know how a non unusual hat owner is going to react to the sudden possession of one, it can corrupt them like the ring of mordor

I like to live dangerously

but yeah i'll probably lose the hat if i do that again

Proven

Kuro Madoushi said:

Kuro, here's how I see it.

There are times where you have to go Uber. Nothing else will work. You listed examples. Chokepoints are another great example.

In all other circumstances, the medigun doesn't matter as much. We just had a rehash last page of the problem many medics have for just getting a capable partner for a Kritz. The Kritz uber is somewhat disposable though. The QuickFix uber even more so.

At that point, which gun you use depends on your skill/preference and the people you're playing with. If you're playing with people that are bad at running from ubers, or need to block a point two seconds from capture, go with the Regular. If the map has a lot of flanks and you have one or two guys you can really trust, Kritz is awesome. If a number of your team like to push up and play a forward defense, the QuickFix can really shine.

The QuickFix can be buffed, but it can never replace the Uber completely, the same way the Kritz couldn't.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven said:
At that point, which gun you use depends on your skill/preference and the people you're playing with. If you're playing with people that are bad at running from ubers, or need to block a point two seconds from capture, go with the Regular. If the map has a lot of flanks and you have one or two guys you can really trust, Kritz is awesome. If a number of your team like to push up and play a forward defense, the QuickFix can really shine.
And what better way to run an aggressive defense than with a 50% health buff?

Again, even a lucky crit will finish off a normal health player. A buffed player has a higher chance for survival. Also, if a number of your team is pushing up with no buff, then they're overextended and deserve to die.

For me
kritz for lols or if someone knows what to do with it.
uber for majority of situations or if my team is full of idiots that can't kill shit
quick shits - THERE IS NO SITUATION!

You might make a case for it in KOTH maps, but even then, the problem is that it doesn't do anything 'better' than the other two guns. There's not a clear enough advantage to using it to gimp your team by refusing the buff. Kritz will never replace uber, but if I have an experienced player on my side, I'll even run kritz on offense if I know the other team is full of scrubs.

Kuro Madoushi said:
And what better way to run an aggressive defense than with a 50% health buff?

If everyone is getting wounded (which tends to happen on a big push), nobody is getting that buff. Even if I focus my healing on one guy. Instead I'm making sure a lot of people are still alive which provides more bodies to push the cart, more people shooting, and more people to take fire.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Again, even a lucky crit will finish off a normal health player. A buffed player has a higher chance for survival. Also, if a number of your team is pushing up with no buff, then they're overextended and deserve to die.

Yea, and if it happens it happens. I just move onto the other five people who are still alive because this gun kept them at full health.

(._.)

Banned
Clydefrog said:
I like to live dangerously

but yeah i'll probably lose the hat if i do that again
Who did you lend the unusual to? Did they refuse to give it back or something?

DrKirby wanna borrow my beams team captain?.... SYKE

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tkawsome said:
If everyone is getting wounded (which tends to happen on a big push), nobody is getting that buff. Even if I focus my healing on one guy. Instead I'm making sure a lot of people are still alive which provides more bodies to push the cart, more people shooting, and more people to take fire.

Triage better.

Tkawsome said:
Yea, and if it happens it happens. I just move onto the other five people who are still alive because this gun kept them at full health.

Point still stands. They'd have to come back to you repeatedly (and much sooner). A buff will allow them to survive. If your team is getting beat to high heaven and they're constantly coming back for heals, none of the mediguns are going to save them UNLESS you had an uber or surprise kritz, of which the Quick Shits has neither.

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure with everything I've seen that one regular uber medic can outduel two Quick Shits medics on the other team.

It's been proven several times that Quick-Fix is ONLY good for KOTH. But as a player who never plays KOTH unless I'm in Janky 4.0, then I absolutely never have a reason to use it. Which is why I'm happy I deleted the thing from my backpack.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I haven't tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure with everything I've seen that one regular uber medic can outduel two Quick Shits medics on the other team.
I've been on the other end of a QF Uber duel while fighting. I still had enough time to charge my Medigun's Uber (which was already close to full) and pop it to kill the other two. Anecdotal, sure, but the QF is fucking AWFUL.

(._.)

Banned
quick-fix sucks like most added weapons. it may be one of the worst additions to the game though. I think they were pressured into adding a 3rd healing type. ACTIVATE CHARGE DOCTOR

Kuro Madoushi said:
1. Agreed...though it won't stop headshots/cuntsman/DoucheRingerspies
2. You don't need to fully heal them. If they want to go, it's their perogative.
3. Leave him to die - a live medic is more important than a heavy.
4. Let him go. Go find someone else to heal. No point in risking your life.

2. I don't "need" to heal them if I want to lose. Having a suicidal teammate is frustrating because they likely are doing far worse than they'd do if they played conservatively... or at least conservatively enough to wait the 3 seconds for overheal instead of charging into the fray with their health in the red or at 50%

3. Yep. I have learned to retreat. If the Heavy wants to die he can do so. But still it is frustrating because this is TEAM Fortress.

4. Yep. Though the Soldier in question was very very very good. Incredibly accurate, racking up tons of kills, retreating, etc... I just wished he would have waited to few seconds because without uber he'd often get stopped by some spamming demoman at the choke point.

For the most part I've learned to keep myself safe as a medic. Though I still sometimes catch myself being reckless (like putting needles into a weakened enemy and getting killed before I kill them). That's why I don't use The Blutsauger. I also don't use The Overdose because the buff isnt passive :(

Kuro Madoushi said:

One thing I like about the QF uber is on some servers a Pyro will try to kill me and my uber target with fire and they don't get jack shit done because the heal rate is so fast. For some reason they don't treat it like a regular uber and fail to airblast.

all you guys suck! Quick Fix is great, so long as your team isn't comprised of idiots that feel the need to stay in the heat of battle too long.

Said it before and I'll say it again: the Medic is not there for your proverbial "liquid courage" rush. When you see you're being healed, we don't exactly want you to run into the middle of a firefight unless Uber/Kritz is near. Think of a Medic as an insurance policy for you to keep your normal level of aggression while still pulling back after you get hit a little so that you can get right back in the fight.

If you're riding the healing mechanic until the wheels fall off (you die), you're doing it WRONG.

The Quick Fix allows the doc to keep multiple people in the battle at the same time. I can heal 3 injured people back to full health in the same amount of time it'd take to get 1 there with a Medigun or Kritzkrieg, and that's not an exaggeration. 3 people alive and firing > 1 overhealed, depending on the situation. AND it discourages a doc turning into a "Pocket Medic" for anyone in particular. EVERYONE should appreciate that.

TLDR: if you don't like your medic using the QuickFix, the problem might be YOU and your overzealous nature and need to murder. Not my problem. Use moderation and reason and the QF can keep you and half your damn team alive in every situation except a Kritz rocket.

Top Bottom