• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

i removed GG from my favorites a few months back. I can't stand stand playing on servers with modified spawn times.

The only servers worth having in your favorites are GAF and 2f2f.

This is an undeniable fact and anyone who would disagree is both a liar and a cheat!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
i removed GG from my favorites a few months back. I can't stand stand playing on servers with modified spawn times.
???

Nope. Default spawn times as painfully aware on steel.

Regardless, Jason be trolling, but correct. Need a break. Last week then it's back to better job hunt.

Any recommendations on how to break a TF2 addiction? I've been playing this game since the original beta. Took several very long breaks, but am not sucked into it all over again. I pretty much play every day, even though I'm actually fairly sick of the game. Hah.

Guess I can uninstall it. I did that once, but my internet connection is fast enough that reinstalling didn't take longer than a couple of hours. But at least it might dissuade me for awhile!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
SenseiJinx said:
Any recommendations on how to break a TF2 addiction? I've been playing this game since the original beta. Took several very long breaks, but am not sucked into it all over again. I pretty much play every day, even though I'm actually fairly sick of the game. Hah.

Guess I can uninstall it. I did that once, but my internet connection is fast enough that reinstalling didn't take longer than a couple of hours. But at least it might dissuade me for awhile!
Look at hrs played. Now consider what you can do with your life in that time.

2100 hrs...almost 100 days...

Trade all items, set a goal, ask for temp ban, uninstall, that's what I did.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
???

Probably changed it when they set it up for quickplay then. For a long, long, long time it had 10 second respawn for everyone. It made defending trivially easy and attacking frustrating.

Yes, the changes that lock the server FPS to the tickrate will ship in the next update. This change is already in the TF2 Beta if you want to try it out there.

Thanks,

Tony
Theoretically, this should help with Jank. L4D2 uses a similar setup and I've never noticed any Jank in that game (not that I play it much).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stupid internet, it decides to act up when I want to play TF2. I can't play with a 300 ping :/

Edit: Hey, looks like it is getting better, down to around 75-100. Thats playable in my book.

Kuro Madoushi said:

Wow, 2100 hours, I'm nowhere near that. I think I've probably got around 400-500 hours into it (a large chunk of my playtime was before Steam kept track of the cumulative playtime). Still, even thinking what I could have done with just half of those 500 hours is pretty scary.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably try some of that. I'm not saying I'll never play again, but I could use a couple month break. Partly because I seem to compulsively play the game every day, but don't even seem to really have fun anymore (not like I used to at least).

Blizzard

Banned
Steam claims I only have like 1200 hours in TF2. That's still some 50 days straight of playing, so yes, I wasted a bunch of my life as well. ;(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
SenseiJinx said:
Wow, 2100 hours, I'm nowhere near that. I think I've probably got around 400-500 hours into it (a large chunk of my playtime was before Steam kept track of the cumulative playtime). Still, even thinking what I could have done with just half of those 500 hours is pretty scary.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably try some of that. I'm not saying I'll never play again, but I could use a couple month break. Partly because I seem to compulsively play the game every day, but don't even seem to really have fun anymore (not like I used to at least).
To make matters worse, I think I've only been playing for 2 - 2 1/2 years?

First game I got on Steam was Hinterland. What a crappy game. It wasn't until L4D that I REALLY got hooked. Then I remember listening to some podcast that was talking about TF2, and well...here I am!

There are people with more, and there are people who idle, but I would say not even 5 hours of my time was idling. I spent WAAAAAAY too much time on it.

Kuro Madoushi said:

All that time and you still aren't better than me, crazy.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
???

Regardless, Jason be trolling, but correct. Need a break. Last week then it's back to better job hunt.

I was serious. Taking breaks help.

Remember though, they only started tracking hours played in March 09. There's a year and a half that's not added in if you had the game since the beginning.

Iadien said:
I was serious. Taking breaks help.
Yep. I was so fucking sick of the game for months straight, but I kept playing because it used to be one of my favorite games ever.

All of the flaws inherent to the code beneath the game had begun standing out to me. I could see the Matrix.

So I just fucking up and quit. For almost a full year, I never played. I did try to pick it up twice, but didn't last more than a week either time. But now I'm back and I love the game again. Yayyy.

Alaskanbullworm said:
Remember though, they only started tracking hours played in March 09. There's a year and a half that's not added in if you had the game since the beginning.
That's why adding up class playtime is more accurate.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, I reset my stats a single time when I only had like 20 hours in the game, after my stats got screwed up during the Engineer update. I figured if I planed on playing the game much, it would be best if I just reset them then.

Tenck

Togglesworlh said:
That's why adding up class playtime is more accurate.

Yup. Game says I have 260.6 hours of playtime, but I had only 102+ when I joined Gaf, and I've only played like 68 hours on the Gaf server. Added the playtime for my classes and I have 172 hours.

Between idling and watching/recording demos and now rendering replays, my actual in-game play time is so much less than what Steam would tell you.

Acerac

Banned
The HLStats tracker really shouldn't give 3 points for every mini sentry built. I spam them constantly as a distraction and I get WAY too many points for them. It gives the same amount for normal sentries, minis should be no more than 2.

I do however approve of the fact that it has my location set as Fiji. It is funny to see some of the ridiculous locations set for members. Kuro living in Canada? What kind of crazy person would live there? o_o

*Edit*

As for my recent increased engy play, I'm trying to get back in to playing the class due to the fact that Medic is increasingly popular on this server. I assume everyone knows where all the typical spots on each map are for sentries so I try to avoid them, leading to some rather unorthodox (horrible?) placings. Feel free to offer suggestions on why my placings are idiotic (though I typically figure that out fairly quickly) or where better placement would be. I've had mixed success with my placements, but I'm sure some old fashioned criticism would be helpful.

Granted, I'm sure the standard spots are popular for a reason and I'm hurting myself by ignoring them... oh well. Give me a couple nights and I'll be back in the groove. :)

I quick matched onto some damn pony server. I wasn't too concerned, then I realized they played some stupid song every time you uber.

I blacklisted that bitch.

Acerac said:
As for my recent increased engy play, I'm trying to get back in to playing the class due to the fact that Medic is increasingly popular on this server. I assume everyone knows where all the typical spots on each map are for sentries so I try to avoid them, leading to some rather unorthodox (horrible?) placings. Feel free to offer suggestions on why my placings are idiotic (though I typically figure that out fairly quickly) or where better placement would be. I've had mixed success with my placements, but I'm sure some old fashioned criticism would be helpful.

Granted, I'm sure the standard spots are popular for a reason and I'm hurting myself by ignoring them... oh well. Give me a couple nights and I'll be back in the groove. :)
Back when he was the best engineer on the server, Javaman often built in the strangest places. As long as you don't build stupid (i.e., out in the open, easy to hit from far away), you're fine. And building in those unorthodox positions is often more effective than building in the typical positions because people don't expect them.

As always, experimentation and experience is the key to success. And not using the Wrangler.

Now that he uses the Wrangler, Javaman is not the best.

YOU HEAR THAT JAVAMAN. I'm callin' you out.

Tenck

Acerac said:

I think random places are better. Of course don't take my word, since i believe I have less than 3 hours with the class, but I did have some success playing that class.

Tenck

The_Technomancer said:
I've almost given up playing Engie on the GAF server T_T

I only see a select few play Engineer on that server. Is it because it's a boring class or something else?

I would like to play Engineer seriously one of these days, but I love to play Spy more ;_;

Seems like a fun class to play if your team helps you with your nest.

The_Technomancer said:
I've almost given up playing Engie on the GAF server T_T
playing Engineer on the GAF server will get you killed and make you stronger :D
I do like playing Engi on the GAF server every now and then and depending on the map, Engi for me is some sort of a chillin' class, I can have a beer while playing Engi at the same time, it's awesome.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Togglesworlh said:
Need to fish kill more douche ringers

Edit: I only play off engie now. So fucking boring having a nest and babysitting. You're waiting for shit to happen. Gunshitter is the same: waiting for shit to happen. Infinitely more fun setting up traps with minis.

SteveWinwood said:
WHAT? Wasn't it for charity? What an asshat.
he actually ate like 8-10 eggs and then some egg eaters helped him eat the eggs because apparently guy fieri can't cook worth shit and made them too fucking spicy

so docevil from somethingawful ate like half an egg and the san jose sharks mascot was there for absolutely no reason and there was a dead baby bird fetus in one of the eggs and it was weird

Yeef

Acerac said:
The HLStats tracker really shouldn't give 3 points for every mini sentry built. I spam them constantly as a distraction and I get WAY too many points for them. It gives the same amount for normal sentries, minis should be no more than 2.
You lose 3 points for manually destroying them and other people get 4 points for destroying them. I think it balances out. Since they're so easy to kill you're giving other people lots of point too.

The Omega Man said:
Brace yourselves for big update, it's coming this Wednesday
You should pay more attention to this thread. We've already been over this!

Yeef said:
You should pay more attention to this thread. We've already been over this!

You are the one that should pay attention, we are never over this!
even when the update hits, Forkball will be back heralding and predicting the next one!

Top Bottom